Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kjartan

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by kjartan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:25 pm

sd5289 wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:If I had to retake, there's not a chance in hell I'd look at Themis.
If I had to retake, I'm not entirely certain what I'd do. Maybe Adaptibar? It seems out of the programs, I've read that the Adaptibar people were the only ones who didn't think the MBE questions were entirely foreign to them (though that was a bit mixed in the MBE thread before it turned into a shit show and was subsequently locked).

I finished 87% of Themis. It was an exhausting 10 weeks. I don't know what else I could've done. That said I don't feel like I failed. I've got a lot of "what if" creeping in, but I definitely don't feel like I did after the MPRE last summer where I was convinced I'd failed and ended up passing.

Yeah I can't handle this for 3 months. :shock: Hopefully work will take my mind off of it when I start up in September. Right now I've got all the time in the world to dwell on it.
Last night I was running on the treadmill and wham! Out of nowhere it suddenly occurred to me that I should have talked about a certain issue on an essay question. Even though I'm not sure it was really an issue, the idea completely fucked up the rest of my night.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:01 pm

I guess I'll hold my final analysis for when bar results come back, but for now at least, I'm not happy with Themis, but I would still recommend them to a friend. Nothing I've read about for Kaplan or Barbri made me think "oh, I wish I had taken them".

If I have to re-take, I'll definitely use Themis. If down the road I have to take another state's bar, I'd probably get adaptibar and look at state model answers for essays, assuming they are available. That'd just be to save money. I used adaptibar a little bit, their website and user interface were a lot better than Themis, but their explanations weren't as good. Also, their civ pro questions apparently sucked really badly, but I'm assuming they'll fix that in the next few years.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I don't know how to answer this until I know if I passed, but...

I don't regret taking Themis over the alternatives and I would use them again. I think it was as good or better than any other program out there. That said, I think it's pretty crummy, and they all are. The last week I looked at some state model answers and was just blown away. Themis did not prepare me at all for that. MBE questions were recycled and kept testing the same topics. Lecturers were consistently mediocre, with the occasional great or terrible among them. Essay grading was stupid. I had no attorney adviser to speak of. Requests for clarification on substantive questions was a joke. The web interface was absuuuurdly frustrating sometimes.

I honestly feel like any competent person could start a new bar company and eat these people's lunches. Why on earth am I watching a guy read an outline? Why are the long outlines so poorly organized and explained? HOw is it that you memorize rules but don't learn to spot them? And why is it never explained how exactly you get points on various things? I also really, really wanted meaningful assessments along the way. I never really knew where I was at.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:55 pm

kjartan wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:If I had to retake, there's not a chance in hell I'd look at Themis.
If I had to retake, I'm not entirely certain what I'd do. Maybe Adaptibar? It seems out of the programs, I've read that the Adaptibar people were the only ones who didn't think the MBE questions were entirely foreign to them (though that was a bit mixed in the MBE thread before it turned into a shit show and was subsequently locked).

I finished 87% of Themis. It was an exhausting 10 weeks. I don't know what else I could've done. That said I don't feel like I failed. I've got a lot of "what if" creeping in, but I definitely don't feel like I did after the MPRE last summer where I was convinced I'd failed and ended up passing.

Yeah I can't handle this for 3 months. :shock: Hopefully work will take my mind off of it when I start up in September. Right now I've got all the time in the world to dwell on it.
Last night I was running on the treadmill and wham! Out of nowhere it suddenly occurred to me that I should have talked about a certain issue on an essay question. Even though I'm not sure it was really an issue, the idea completely fucked up the rest of my night.
I probably would have run off the side of the treadmill. Having said that, my best, best, best ideas come on the treadmill, so maybe the issue you thought of was light years ahead of everyone....even the bar graders :)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Had a couple of glorious, care free weeks in Europe where I miraculously forgot entirely about the bar.

Now that I'm back in the states, and have a little more than a week before work starts, the "what if I failed?" questions are back in my head. It's not even September yet. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pickled

New

Post by Pickled » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm

sd5289 wrote:Had a couple of glorious, care free weeks in Europe where I miraculously forgot entirely about the bar.

Now that I'm back in the states, and have a little more than a week before work starts, the "what if I failed?" questions are back in my head. It's not even September yet. :|

Where are you working? And when do you find out? I am looking forward to when everybody returns to this site to say I PASSED! :D

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Pickled wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Had a couple of glorious, care free weeks in Europe where I miraculously forgot entirely about the bar.

Where are you working? And when do you find out? I am looking forward to when everybody returns to this site to say I PASSED! :D
Gov't job that I'm very much stoked about. We don't find out until late October / early November, but according to this site they sprung it on them last year. So that should be fun.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

This wait is so painful.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Passed. Themis user. Would recommend Themis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Wish my state had results by now

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Wish my state had results by now
At least you didn't take California.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Pleasye wrote:
That would have been terrible

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:25 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
That would have been terrible
:cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:55 pm

zot1 wrote:This wait is so painful.
Congrats, first of the Themis posters to pass! Good to hear.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
zot1 wrote:This wait is so painful.
Congrats, first of the Themis posters to pass! Good to hear.
Thanks, bro. Someone from AR I think reported in the MBE thread before me.

I'd like to clarify that I would recommend Themis even if I hadn't. I felt crappy after the MBE day, but I don't think anyone else around me felt any differently. The civ pro guesses for Themis were a miss because the MBE questions were nothing like it. Thankfully I knew enough civ pro on my own, but I think this is something that can get fixed now with more civ pro samples.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:16 pm

zot1 wrote:Passed. Themis user. Would recommend Themis.
Congrats! What percentage on Themis' tracker did you complete before exam day? (If you don't mind sharing.)

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:29 pm

sdphill wrote:
Congrats! What percentage on Themis' tracker did you complete before exam day? (If you don't mind sharing.)
I tried to log in but I don't have access anymore. I'm fairly certain that I completed over 90%, perhaps between 92 and 94. I completed all of the lectures and did all of the graded exams and milestones. I also did all the MBE practice exams. The percentage I didn't complete includes PTs (I think I had four or more left) and a handful of essays I just couldn't do anymore.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Should have said this before complaining about not having results but, congrats!!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Should have said this before complaining about not having results but, congrats!!
No worries. I know waiting is tough AF.

Thank you and I hope other Themis users keep getting the same good news.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Pleasye wrote:
NY here. The only comfort I have in that is that at least I don't have to wait as long as the California takers. :|

MrMustache

Bronze

Post by MrMustache » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 am

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pickled

New

Post by Pickled » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:50 am

Passed in WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely recommend Themis.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:57 am

MrMustache wrote:
I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!!!
Thanks, Mr.

FWIW, I thought I had bombed the MBEs. I'm not sure what my actual score is but I thought maybe this would provide some comfort for those of you waiting.

skrubba5025

New

Post by skrubba5025 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Pickled wrote:Passed in WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely recommend Themis.

Same here, congrats! Have you done the Washington Law component yet? I was planning on doing it this weekend if I have time, but not sure how hard it is.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
NY here. The only comfort I have in that is that at least I don't have to wait as long as the California takers. :|
Ugh. Fucking CBX :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”