Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
smalogna

Bronze

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by smalogna » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 am

Milestone day. Great.

elgillis

New

Post by elgillis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 am

Did anyone else doing the Maryland course find Lippe skipped some parts of the MD distinctions for Crim Pro???

kateebee

New

Post by kateebee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:12 am

I am starting to get rage-y every time I come across another "Editor's Note" in the Criminal Law lectures. How can Themis let us use something that's so riddled with mistakes? Re-record it. Geez. :evil:

eloise16

New

Post by eloise16 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 am

elgillis wrote:Did anyone else doing the Maryland course find Lippe skipped some parts of the MD distinctions for Crim Pro???
You mean that he didn't cover some things in the distinctions outline that you think he should have covered? Or that he skipped part of the lecture outline? I definitely though the lecture could have been longer and more detailed.

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:14 am

kateebee wrote:I am starting to get rage-y every time I come across another "Editor's Note" in the Criminal Law lectures. How can Themis let us use something that's so riddled with mistakes? Re-record it. Geez. :evil:
What I find strange is that sometimes they don't change the outline to reflect the word that was supposed to be there. They had time to put in an editor's note but they couldn't be bothered to change the word???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 am

smalogna wrote:Milestone day. Great.
Lol I'm too behind to even participate in this.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Pleasye wrote:
I could do it but really wanting to skip it for now :oops:

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Pleasye wrote:
same. only just starting civ pro today.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 pm

habz wrote:
kateebee wrote:I am starting to get rage-y every time I come across another "Editor's Note" in the Criminal Law lectures. How can Themis let us use something that's so riddled with mistakes? Re-record it. Geez. :evil:
What I find strange is that sometimes they don't change the outline to reflect the word that was supposed to be there. They had time to put in an editor's note but they couldn't be bothered to change the word???
Yep, I had this complain a few days ago. Mistake after mistake after mistake. It was confusing and frustrating. Specially when they were mistakes of the law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:04 pm

misterjames wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
same. only just starting civ pro today.
Yep, and still have to do evidence. :lol:

Being out of this thread has been nice though. It's a stress echo chamber.

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Anyone else having trouble getting Themis to load today? Not even trying to watch videos, but the webpage keeps timing out while I'm trying to do an essay or read an outline.

elgillis

New

Post by elgillis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm

eloise16 wrote:
elgillis wrote:Did anyone else doing the Maryland course find Lippe skipped some parts of the MD distinctions for Crim Pro???
You mean that he didn't cover some things in the distinctions outline that you think he should have covered? Or that he skipped part of the lecture outline? I definitely though the lecture could have been longer and more detailed.

I feel/found he skipped blanks.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Checking in as yet another person who's not quite ready to do Milestone #2 today (just barely got the graded essay assigned on Friday done yesterday, and still need to do some of the Con Law and Evidence PQ sets).

Speaking of Con Law, I'm wondering if someone can explain a Con Law question:
[+] Spoiler
A state enacted a statute regulating a woman’s ability to have an abortion. Among other pre-viability restrictions, the statute provides that a married woman who seeks to have an abortion must notify her spouse beforehand. Is the statute constitutional?

Answer was yes as an undue burden, but I wasn't reading carefully and realized afterward that it said notice, not consent, which I already knew was a big no no. So I think I might have gotten it right as a matter of luck, and would really like to know why notice is on the same level as consent for purposes of the undue burden test, especially since parental notification with minors is okay yet parental consent is generally not unless there's a judicial bypass option.

ETA: I just noticed my response time to that question was 16 seconds, so I clearly went "spousal consent, oh that's not allowed, so it's that one!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:09 pm

sd5289 wrote:Checking in as yet another person who's not quite ready to do Milestone #2 today (just barely got the graded essay assigned on Friday done yesterday, and still need to do some of the Con Law and Evidence PQ sets).

[+] Spoiler
A state enacted a statute regulating a woman’s ability to have an abortion. Among other pre-viability restrictions, the statute provides that a married woman who seeks to have an abortion must notify her spouse beforehand. Is the statute constitutional?

Answer was yes as an undue burden, but I wasn't reading carefully and realized afterward that it said notice, not consent, which I already knew was a big no no. So I think I might have gotten it right as a matter of luck, and would really like to know why notice is on the same level as consent for purposes of the undue burden test, especially since parental notification with minors is okay yet parental consent is generally not unless there's a judicial bypass option.

ETA: I just noticed my response time to that question was 16 seconds, so I clearly went "spousal consent, oh that's not allowed, so it's that one!"
I think the issue in this question is spousal notice, parental notice is not an undue burden. Considering that the spouse is nowhere to be found in many of these cases it kinda makes sense

milesdavisjd

New

Post by milesdavisjd » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Crim Law and Crim Pro with Karlan were AWFUL. I feel like I learned nothing, the handouts were useless, her lectures were too long, and now I'm having to start all over again for BOTH of those topics.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Crim Law and Crim Pro with Karlan were AWFUL. I feel like I learned nothing, the handouts were useless, her lectures were too long, and now I'm having to start all over again for BOTH of those topics.
Yeah, she is pretty hard to follow because she goes a mile a minute. I've given up on listening to the lectures now and just go over the long outlines. No matter how long the lecture handouts are, they seem to always miss stuff.

MrBriggs360

New

Post by MrBriggs360 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Crim Law and Crim Pro with Karlan were AWFUL. I feel like I learned nothing, the handouts were useless, her lectures were too long, and now I'm having to start all over again for BOTH of those topics.
I'm at the exact same point, and having the exact same problem. I'm experiencing burnout right now, but I can't afford to take another day off but everything I'm reading and trudging through right now feels like a garbled mess. Hopefully I feel better as the week goes on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 pm

I just started Evidence. My goodness I love this man already. He is like the best friend I never had.

Velours

New

Post by Velours » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Confused7 wrote:
Yeah, she is pretty hard to follow because she goes a mile a minute. I've given up on listening to the lectures now and just go over the long outlines. No matter how long the lecture handouts are, they seem to always miss stuff.
I really enjoyed how she would just drop in that she argued that case to the Supreme Court every so often.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 pm

habz wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Checking in as yet another person who's not quite ready to do Milestone #2 today (just barely got the graded essay assigned on Friday done yesterday, and still need to do some of the Con Law and Evidence PQ sets).

[+] Spoiler

I think the issue in this question is spousal notice, parental notice is not an undue burden. Considering that the spouse is nowhere to be found in many of these cases it kinda makes sense
Yeah, I know that.

The law with regard to spouses has explicitly stated that spousal consent is an undue burden, but I don't remember a case on spousal notice, nor did the lecture or materials talk about that. But I guess the idea that a spouse may not be around sort of answers why even a notice requirement would be an undue burden.

On another note, I like how questions about Congress's power over naturalization has come up multiple times yet it was not discussed at all in the lectures. It feels like Themis focuses on certain topics that never come up in their own PQ sets and just totally skips topics that come up again and again. :|

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Well, took Milestone 2 and realized that I suck at Civ Pro. Sigh.

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Anyone else's PR outlines missing a ton of key stuff? Themis assigned two Virginia PR essays today and they each centered around a rule that wasn't touched on in the lectures or the long outline. I think this is the first time I've seen such a total gap in Themis's coverage, so it sounds like I've been lucky compared to some of you. Still sucks though.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:28 pm

collegewriter wrote:So behind but Crim is taking FOREVER. I wish we could break up the monotony of the outline/lectures but you can't get to the easier stuff until you finish all. Themis assigned me 9 videos and 130 pages to read in one day. NOPE. Slowly falling more and more behind... :(
The 130 pages is brutal but I feel the pain - Themis decided torts would be a 1 day subject for me. It was like 79 pages and 19 videos plus the state modifications :/

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:38 pm

I think NY conflict of laws lecturer might be danny devito's long lost brother

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”