Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sd5289

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:34 am

Confused7 wrote:Fuck I wanna find solace on TLS after taking the bar but everyone discussing the freaking questions and answers in the NY support thread is making me want to cry.
Also, yes, that thread is the definition of "freaking the fuck out."

I showed up early to Javits yesterday because of the clusterfuck of a line on Tuesday, only to find that it was relatively easy to get in, and then was surrounded by neurotics freaking out about Tuesday. I couldn't get away from the discussions. Just. Stop.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 am

sd5289 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Fuck I wanna find solace on TLS after taking the bar but everyone discussing the freaking questions and answers in the NY support thread is making me want to cry.

I showed up early to Javits yesterday because of the clusterfuck of a line on Tuesday, only to find that it was relatively easy to get in, and then was surrounded by neurotics freaking out about Tuesday. I couldn't get away from the discussions. Just. Stop.
I really like the How Did You Feel About the MBE thread, however, I'm trying to stay away from people discussing questions. I KNOW I missed some questions, but I don't care to know which ones.

Also, after so many weeks waking up and grinding hard... what now?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:42 am

zot1 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I really like the How Did You Feel About the MBE thread, however, I'm trying to stay away from people discussing questions. I KNOW I missed some questions, but I don't care to know which ones.

Yeah I'm avoiding that too. Which means avoiding the entirety of that NY Support thread.

I was going to sleep in today. Body was like "5am...time to get up?" Me: "no." Body: "6am...can we get up now?" Me: "NO." Body: "7am...now?" Me: "oh for chrissake, fine."

I'm going to a movie at 11:30am now. I think I'll be one of two people in the theater. :lol:

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 am

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Yeah I'm avoiding that too. Which means avoiding the entirety of that NY Support thread.

I was going to sleep in today. Body was like "5am...time to get up?" Me: "no." Body: "6am...can we get up now?" Me: "NO." Body: "7am...now?" Me: "oh for chrissake, fine."

I'm going to a movie at 11:30am now. I think I'll be one of two people in the theater. :lol:
What are you watching? I think the wife and I are planning to grill carnitas all day and drink beer in the backyard.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 am

zot1 wrote:What are you watching? I think the wife and I are planning to grill carnitas all day and drink beer in the backyard.
Inside Out.

In-law is one of the main animators on it and while my wife's entire family has seen it, I, of course, could not go see it. It's step #1 in the "becoming a real human person again" process.

Yesterday when we were walking up 3rd avenue toward the bar, I saw a construction area with planks of wood laying around on the sidewalk and I was like "LIABILITY!! LIABILITY!!" Wife was like "shhhh shhhh, let's go."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 am

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:What are you watching? I think the wife and I are planning to grill carnitas all day and drink beer in the backyard.
Inside Out.

In-law is one of the main animators on it and while my wife's entire family has seen it, I, of course, could not go see it. It's step #1 in the "becoming a real human person again" process.

Yesterday when we were walking up 3rd avenue toward the bar, I saw a construction area with planks of wood laying around on the sidewalk and I was like "LIABILITY!! LIABILITY!!" Wife was like "shhhh shhhh, let's go."
I'm all too familiar with that. Last night we went out to a celebratory dinner. Some stuff happened and my wife said "they would get in so much trouble for x." So I naturally started, "actually, since the other dude.........you know what, it doesn't matter. This is not in court. Let's move on." I felt very proud. I'm done with hypotheticals.

Let's be human again.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am

Pretty satisfied with Themis after the bar. At least I had seen questions about "earnest money" before which everyone seems to be freaking out about in the other MBE thread (though to be fair, it's not mentioned in the Real Property outline at all). After doing around 1600 MBE questions, I felt pretty comfortable with the MBE questions on the real thing, though obviously there were plenty of questions that I thought were bullshit and if I ever see the explanations for them I will still think are bullshit, but that's just like every MBE set we ever got on Themis, so expectations met!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 am

anon sequitur wrote:Pretty satisfied with Themis after the bar. At least I had seen questions about "earnest money" before which everyone seems to be freaking out about in the other MBE thread (though to be fair, it's not mentioned in the Real Property outline at all). After doing around 1600 MBE questions, I felt pretty comfortable with the MBE questions on the real thing, though obviously there were plenty of questions that I thought were bullshit and if I ever see the explanations for them I will still think are bullshit, but that's just like every MBE set we ever got on Themis, so expectations met!
Lucky you. I had never seen "earnest money" before. But I was satisfied on the essay portion for Themis. I think the consensus is that the MBE was harder than any bar prep questions, with a minority of people saying that they thought they were similar. I certainly didn't.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:35 pm

I want to live like the bar doesn't exist. One two three one two three drink.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nanosoft

New

Post by Nanosoft » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 pm

zot1 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Pretty satisfied with Themis after the bar. At least I had seen questions about "earnest money" before which everyone seems to be freaking out about in the other MBE thread (though to be fair, it's not mentioned in the Real Property outline at all). After doing around 1600 MBE questions, I felt pretty comfortable with the MBE questions on the real thing, though obviously there were plenty of questions that I thought were bullshit and if I ever see the explanations for them I will still think are bullshit, but that's just like every MBE set we ever got on Themis, so expectations met!
Lucky you. I had never seen "earnest money" before. But I was satisfied on the essay portion for Themis. I think the consensus is that the MBE was harder than any bar prep questions, with a minority of people saying that they thought they were similar. I certainly didn't.
Yeah, to my surprise, I actually ended up being considerably more prepared for the Essay. It might end up saving me from failing, when I thought it was going to be the other way around....

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Congrats everyone thank you all for being so supportive. Overall I was pretty satisfied with themis. Sure MBE was tough but it really wasn't any different than any other set of 100 MBE's. I feel themis prepared us above and beyond for the essays as well. Great job everyone, now I can finally focus on wedding preparations.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Heads up everyone: Themis sent out a survey and it allows you to rate all of the lecturers (I'm looking at you Sherman...that's definitely a "poor" rating from me).

If you're so inclined.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:25 pm

Also, the MBE thread is making me REALLY happy that Themis' questions near the end were so terrible. I feel like that got me used to shitty questions so that when the actual MBE was full of really badly worded questions, I was just used to it by that time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

sd5289 wrote:Also, the MBE thread is making me REALLY happy that Themis' questions near the end were so terrible. I feel like that got me used to shitty questions so that when the actual MBE was full of really badly worded questions, I was just used to it by that time.
I made the mistake of looking at it just now. They keep discussing specific questions, and I'm just like, "s**t, I think I got that wrong."

:shock:

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:25 am

zot1 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Also, the MBE thread is making me REALLY happy that Themis' questions near the end were so terrible. I feel like that got me used to shitty questions so that when the actual MBE was full of really badly worded questions, I was just used to it by that time.
I made the mistake of looking at it just now. They keep discussing specific questions, and I'm just like, "s**t, I think I got that wrong."

I know...maybe it's the post-bar trauma but I'm convinced that I failed. :( Missed at least one issue or sub-issue in every essay, didn't use the correct format for the MPT, and who the hell knows about the MBE.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:01 am

Confused7 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I know...maybe it's the post-bar trauma but I'm convinced that I failed. :( Missed at least one issue or sub-issue in every essay, didn't use the correct format for the MPT, and who the hell knows about the MBE.
Pretty much how I feel but I'm gonna try not to worry about it too much. No more looking at that thread.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 am

Confused7 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

The people in the NY Support thread have honestly gone off the rails. I didn't feel terrible about NY day (though I think part of that is I reviewed you know what the morning of, and still thought "OMG I can't believe this" when I got to essay #5). Are there sub-issues that I'm looking back on and thinking "did I get that right?" Sure. But there's no way a single person, under those time constraints and conditions, nailed every single little thing. So long as we hit the major issues, like those identified in the questions themselves, I think we'll be okay.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:05 pm

sd5289 wrote:Heads up everyone: Themis sent out a survey and it allows you to rate all of the lecturers (I'm looking at you Sherman...that's definitely a "poor" rating from me).

If you're so inclined.
I didn't get this... ugh I want to review those lecturers SO BAD

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:17 pm

zor wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Heads up everyone: Themis sent out a survey and it allows you to rate all of the lecturers (I'm looking at you Sherman...that's definitely a "poor" rating from me).

If you're so inclined.
It showed up in my "promotions" tab in gmail so maybe check your junk mail?

Also, the MBE thread finally went down. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:54 pm

zor wrote:

If you're so inclined.
I wrote a whole essay complete with headings with suggestions about what they can change. Hopefully some of those changes come up if I have to retake in February :lol:

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 pm

If I had to retake, there's not a chance in hell I'd look at Themis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:29 am

somuchbooty wrote:If I had to retake, there's not a chance in hell I'd look at Themis.
If I had to retake, I'm not entirely certain what I'd do. Maybe Adaptibar? It seems out of the programs, I've read that the Adaptibar people were the only ones who didn't think the MBE questions were entirely foreign to them (though that was a bit mixed in the MBE thread before it turned into a shit show and was subsequently locked).

I finished 87% of Themis. It was an exhausting 10 weeks. I don't know what else I could've done. That said I don't feel like I failed. I've got a lot of "what if" creeping in, but I definitely don't feel like I did after the MPRE last summer where I was convinced I'd failed and ended up passing.

Yeah I can't handle this for 3 months. :shock: Hopefully work will take my mind off of it when I start up in September. Right now I've got all the time in the world to dwell on it.

cram1

New

Post by cram1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:19 pm

Overall what did you all think of Themis? I didn't take any bar review course for the July exam, but I'm leaning towards Themis for Feb 2016 (if that turns out to be necessary) so that I can do everything online and fit it into my already hectic schedule. Even if you wouldn't re-take Themis, were you satisfied with going through the course once?

Litigatrix

New

Post by Litigatrix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:47 pm

cram1 wrote:Overall what did you all think of Themis? I didn't take any bar review course for the July exam, but I'm leaning towards Themis for Feb 2016 (if that turns out to be necessary) so that I can do everything online and fit it into my already hectic schedule. Even if you wouldn't re-take Themis, were you satisfied with going through the course once?
How did you study for the July Bar? What jurisdiction?

I've been practicing law for 10+ years. I took the July bar exam in another jurisdiction and obviously needed a refresher and to learn the state-specific areas that the bar exam tested. Themis was good for me, because the price was right, it offered flexibility (because I couldn't take the whole summer off from work to study), and I felt like I did an okay job on substantive areas of the law. I also thought the MBE prep wasn't too bad. I still had my BarBri/PMBR stuff from 2002, which I had to reference a few times because Themis's "explanation" was off the mark or confusing. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Themis essay review process. I got more out of reading my state's model answers than anything that Themis did. Overall, I felt that Themis was just as good as BarBri (which I had done before) at 1/3 the cost. The major downside with Themis, however, is that you're pretty much isolated while studying.

That being said, depending on your Jx, you may be better off just doing a MBE prep course and then studying past essay exams to see how your Jx tests its substantive areas of law on the essay day(s), or search google for books with past essays and sample answers. Bar passage really is a numbers game, and if you can max your MBE points, do okay on the PT (which few people study for anyway), you don't have to sweat the essays as much.

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:06 pm

cram1 wrote:Overall what did you all think of Themis? I didn't take any bar review course for the July exam, but I'm leaning towards Themis for Feb 2016 (if that turns out to be necessary) so that I can do everything online and fit it into my already hectic schedule. Even if you wouldn't re-take Themis, were you satisfied with going through the course once?
I really liked it. I know a lot of people complain about Themis, but I don't think Barbri and Kaplan are any better.
I would go with Themis again if I had to re-take or study for another Jx.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”