Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
111aaa

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by 111aaa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34 pm

lilypad144 wrote:Does anyone have a Crim Pro (non-state specific) condensed outline they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I took the class in law school and did miserably and this FRO is not clear AT ALL. It is confusing me to no end.

Anyone? Bueller?
Hey, I would agree with you that the FRO is not clear. I started making an outline, but I need to finish it. If I get it done by tomorrow evening, I'll send it to you.

marthac66

New

Post by marthac66 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:42 pm

juniormint33 wrote:
marthac66 wrote:Hi,

Anyone using anything from Seperac?? Also, anyone NOT looked at the New York specific stuff yet? Please console....
If it makes you feel any better I haven't looked at any of the CA specific stuff yet. Aside from "watching" the lectures, anyway.
I love people like you! If we've got the MBE down (well nearly) then we will be fine! Good luck with your exam :)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:50 pm

HAH. I decided to tackle a mixed MBE set after doing two NY practice essays even though it's late, I'm exhausted, and oh, over it. Thought I was bombing the set the entire way through.

80%

Which means I have gone from 56 to 74 to 62 to 80. This is nonsensical.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:59 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:So here, venue would be proper in SDNY, SDFL, and CDCA, but not NDIL?

Taking it a bit deeper: same case (NDIL/SDNY), but the defendants live in the same state (say SDCA and EDCA). Can I sue in WDCA? If all defendants live in the same state, you can sue anywhere in that state, yes?
No, because to refine the rule a bit that was stated above, venue is proper in the judicial district the D resides in if all D's live in the same state. So venue would be proper in SDCA or EDCA.
So, just to nail it down: in my first example, CDCA/SDFL were proper venue-wise because there is PJ in each of those districts? But why do we make it down to the PJ analysis if there is a district that fulfills one of the two "best" rules (any D's district if all live in same state/district where claim arose)?

Not trying to be dense--this subject has been giving me fits all along.

Pickled

New

Post by Pickled » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 pm

Love all you all but the high score humble brags are icky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Has anyone tried buying one of the NCBE official practice exams? They're 50 bucks each, and I'm debating whether to do one each day or so this last week...

lilypad144

New

Post by lilypad144 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:13 pm

111aaa wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:Does anyone have a Crim Pro (non-state specific) condensed outline they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I took the class in law school and did miserably and this FRO is not clear AT ALL. It is confusing me to no end.

Anyone? Bueller?
Hey, I would agree with you that the FRO is not clear. I started making an outline, but I need to finish it. If I get it done by tomorrow evening, I'll send it to you.
I really appreciate that. I have made the FRO work for me and things from when I took the class are coming back to me but def please lmk if you finish it. I really appreciate this! I have an awesome RP outline that I made if you'd like it. Of course, it's 22 pages because...real property. But it's on point!

111aaa

New

Post by 111aaa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:So here, venue would be proper in SDNY, SDFL, and CDCA, but not NDIL?

Taking it a bit deeper: same case (NDIL/SDNY), but the defendants live in the same state (say SDCA and EDCA). Can I sue in WDCA? If all defendants live in the same state, you can sue anywhere in that state, yes?
No, because to refine the rule a bit that was stated above, venue is proper in the judicial district the D resides in if all D's live in the same state. So venue would be proper in SDCA or EDCA.
So, just to nail it down: in my first example, CDCA/SDFL were proper venue-wise because there is PJ in each of those districts? But why do we make it down to the PJ analysis if there is a district that fulfills one of the two "best" rules (any D's district if all live in same state/district where claim arose)?

You only narrow it down to the PJ analysis if venue is not proper where 1) the judicial districts where all D's reside if the same state or 2) where the cause of action arose or 3) where the property that is subject of the action is located. If venue is not proper under any of those 3 categories, do a PJ analysis and venue will be deemed proper where the court can exercise PJ over the DF(s).

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Pickled wrote:Love all you all but the high score humble brags are icky.
Define "high score."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imdonezo

New

Post by imdonezo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:47 pm

uhh. heading into this last week.... i feel really unprepared for NY.
(1) NY specific essays (havent done any -- just starting to look at corp/agency/sec.trans/cplr/partnerships/conflicts/prof resp)
(2) MBE (scoring betwee 55-75, prob avg low 60s)

im done arent i?

... but please tell me i can pass with low 60s MBE and very cursory knowledge of NY law (above). i mean i am gonna spend every waking hour left to drill in every thing i can...

adevine39

New

Post by adevine39 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:53 pm

imdonezo wrote:uhh. heading into this last week.... i feel really unprepared for NY.
(1) NY specific essays (havent done any -- just starting to look at corp/agency/sec.trans/cplr/partnerships/conflicts/prof resp)

im done arent i?

... but please tell me i can pass with low 60s MBE and very cursory knowledge of NY law (above). i mean i am gonna spend every waking hour left to drill in every thing i can...
From what I can tell, if you score in the low 60's of the MBE, you are borderline passing. But just think, if you merely find a way to get 8 more points, that low sixties can turn into mid-high sixties, and then you're in a much better position for your "cursory" knowledge of NY specific law. Keep your chin up, dude.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:54 pm

111aaa wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

You only narrow it down to the PJ analysis if venue is not proper where 1) the judicial districts where all D's reside if the same state or 2) where the cause of action arose or 3) where the property that is subject of the action is located. If venue is not proper under any of those 3 categories, do a PJ analysis and venue will be deemed proper where the court can exercise PJ over the DF(s).
So in my first example, only SDNY is appropriate (since it falls under number 2)?

annapach

New

Post by annapach » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 am

Pickled wrote:Love all you all but the high score humble brags are icky.

furreal

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am

My mbe is finally actually moving into non-retard territory. sweeeeeeeet.

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:29 am

skers wrote:My mbe is finally actually moving into non-retard territory. sweeeeeeeet.
chicken mcnuggets are brain food

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:33 am

somuchbooty wrote:
skers wrote:My mbe is finally actually moving into non-retard territory. sweeeeeeeet.
chicken mcnuggets are brain food
:lol: Imma give credit to the half pint of gelato I crushed while doing the set for this one.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:39 am

adevine39 wrote:
imdonezo wrote:uhh. heading into this last week.... i feel really unprepared for NY.

im done arent i?

From what I can tell, if you score in the low 60's of the MBE, you are borderline passing. But just think, if you merely find a way to get 8 more points, that low sixties can turn into mid-high sixties, and then you're in a much better position for your "cursory" knowledge of NY specific law. Keep your chin up, dude.
Low 60s is borderline? Damnnnn. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:37 am

I read somewhere once that there are people who never "pass" during their bar prep but pass on the bar exam.

I read that on some bar blog post, so obviously it is nothing but the truth.

laduper

New

Post by laduper » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:07 am

Hi all - perpetual lurker here.

Here's a crim outline (https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxe3yw7w1uj0q ... .docx?dl=0) I made for NY (it's law + pro; pro is the second half). Has both MBE & NY; NY distinctions are in red. Hope it's helpful!

Perhaps a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer on BOLE - can we bring car keys into the exam room? I.e., in our plastic bag?

InternationalShoe

New

Post by InternationalShoe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 am

lilypad144 wrote:
111aaa wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?
I really appreciate that. I have made the FRO work for me and things from when I took the class are coming back to me but def please lmk if you finish it. I really appreciate this! I have an awesome RP outline that I made if you'd like it. Of course, it's 22 pages because...real property. But it's on point!
I'd love to see that RP outline! It's consistently been my worst subject (and it might be too late to improve on it at this point). Any chance you can share the outline through a dropbox link?

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:46 am

kateebee wrote:In light of all the Themis hating that's naturally been spewed here, at least one person on the BarBri board said they would take Themis if they failed... so I think we're all probably feeling the hate at this stage.

And yes, I was creeping in the BarBri hangout trying to gauge how screwed/not screwed I am for this test. Seemed productive...
I can't speak to every topic, but in talking to all my friends who are taking barbri I would say that Themis has done a significantly better job prepping us for the material, particularly for state specific issues

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:02 am

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:30 am

I'd say they're equal

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:32 am

habz wrote:
kateebee wrote:In light of all the Themis hating that's naturally been spewed here, at least one person on the BarBri board said they would take Themis if they failed... so I think we're all probably feeling the hate at this stage.

And yes, I was creeping in the BarBri hangout trying to gauge how screwed/not screwed I am for this test. Seemed productive...
I can't speak to every topic, but in talking to all my friends who are taking barbri I would say that Themis has done a significantly better job prepping us for the material, particularly for state specific issues
I'm still not in love with my state-specific materials from Themis (especially compared to the quality of the MBE materials), but my state director did call me today and leave a very encouraging and helpful voicemail. It made me feel better about Themis and the bar in general. We're going to survive this!

skrubba5025

New

Post by skrubba5025 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Raiden wrote:I read somewhere once that there are people who never "pass" during their bar prep but pass on the bar exam.

I read that on some bar blog post, so obviously it is nothing but the truth.
Can't say for the Bar, but I used Themis for the MPRE. Only did it for a couple days but was scoring around 49-55% on everything. Ended up with a 118. Hopefully it works that way on the Bar as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”