Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

wise4

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby wise4 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:FL Corps Question:

Barbri - Our Lecturer, the tone-deaf guy, said that If a corp doesn't obtain a certificate of authority and file annual reports w/ department of state, the corporation cannot file suit or defend itself in a florida court.

In some of the multiple choice questions, the answer says "foreign corporations that fail to obtain a certificate of authority to do business in Florida are only prevented from bringing suit in state court, not defending against suit." BUT THEN OTHERS SAY "the only possible sanctions for failing to timely file the annual report are involuntary dissolution AND barred from bringing or defending any action in FL courts". AND THE FLORIDA Statute 607.0505 says "A corporation, foreign corporation, or alien business organization which fails to have and continuously maintain a registered office and a registered agent as required in this section may not defend itself against any action instituted by the Department of Legal Affairs or by any other agency of this state until the requirements of this subsection have been met."

Fucking infuriating me right now. Barbri fucking my day up

long story short - if florida corp fails to file annual report, it is subject to voluntary dissolution and may not file suit or defend a suit in a florida court. learn the law barbri fuckers

If a Florida corp fails to file an annual report, pay the filing fee, have a continuous office, or the corp term expires, it's subject to a involuntary dismissal by the state and has 60 days to correct the error.

That's what I have. Voluntary dismissals are done by the incorporates, shareholders of directors propose it, and shareholders by approval.

wise4

Postby wise4 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 pm

law62016 wrote:So I have finally gotten to crim law/proc review and noticed that on the bar breakdown of heavily tested items juvenile delinquency and drugs are on there. Yeah, kaplan never touched on those subjects, and I just went through my books and there is a small blurb on jd and nothing on drugs (i.e, possession, trafficking etc) .. and the few things from barbri I have don't either. Does anybody have any info on these subjects.

Forget juvenile in my opinion. If you must know it, know (1) keep juvis away from adults; (2) how they are tried; (3) when they can temporary leave juvi; and (4) camps. Like we were told, it may pop on, if anything, for some questions under fl crim pro. If it's somehow an essay, just know 3/4s of the room knows as much as you.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:01 am

wise4 wrote:
If a Florida corp fails to file an annual report, pay the filing fee, have a continuous office, or the corp term expires, it's subject to a involuntary dismissal by the state and has 60 days to correct the error.

That's what I have. Voluntary dismissals are done by the incorporates, shareholders of directors propose it, and shareholders by approval.

And what about defending suits, if they have not fulfilled requirements?

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:48 pm

Essay Issue/Topic guess:

Equal Protection by way of an immigration issue by way of Fed Con Law/Fla Con Law.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Anyone have a copy of the essays from Feb 2016? I can't seem to find them online.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Drummingreg wrote:Anyone have a copy of the essays from Feb 2016? I can't seem to find them online.

https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c00756f05

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 pm

How many Florida essay subjects have y'all committed verbatim to memory? I've got about 8. Feeling worried

blueapple08

Postby blueapple08 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:44 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:How many Florida essay subjects have y'all committed verbatim to memory? I've got about 8. Feeling worried

law62016

Postby law62016 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:58 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:How many Florida essay subjects have y'all committed verbatim to memory? I've got about 8. Feeling worried

Nada . Looking over them tomorrow

Jwashere

Postby Jwashere » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:00 pm

All of the greatest hits with the exception of juvi and secured transactions at this point.

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Jwashere wrote:

All of the greatest hits with the exception of juvi and secured transactions at this point.

I am a bit worried about whether to memorize secured transactions or Juvi. Under the schedule I made myself, I don't have time for both. Part of me thinks juvi is going to show up in a crim law family law sort of essay bc it's never been tested before and the bar has been whacky lately. But on the other hand secured transactions had been tested a couple times before

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:37 pm

It really is amazing how broad the essay topics could be. We could easily get hit with a Tort Med Mal case that leaves the victim with an Adoption issue and the Bar would be well within their right.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:49 pm

For family law I would just regurgitate "best interests of child." Same for dependency I guess?

My essays for delinquency, commercial paper, and secured transactions would be pure garbage. Just hoping for a generous curve if one of those comes up

not guilty wrote:Essay Issue/Topic guess:

Equal Protection by way of an immigration issue by way of Fed Con Law/Fla Con Law.

That is a weirdly specific and random prediction.

sinfolaw

Postby sinfolaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am

wwwcol wrote:For family law I would just regurgitate "best interests of child." Same for dependency I guess?

My essays for delinquency, commercial paper, and secured transactions would be pure garbage. Just hoping for a generous curve if one of those comes up

not guilty wrote:Essay Issue/Topic guess:

This thread has some pretty good explanations for Secured Transactions and Commercial paper. They're easy to read, which is a plus over any official materials I've gotten.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=249162

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 am

wwwcol wrote:

It has to be specific if we're guessing an issue. Immigration is sort of a hot topic right now. Right to marriage, as well.

I think the Bar looks at what lawyers are dealing with in the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if every essay is based off of a real case to a certain extent.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:16 pm

not guilty wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

It has to be specific if we're guessing an issue. Immigration is sort of a hot topic right now. Right to marriage, as well.

I think the Bar looks at what lawyers are dealing with in the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if every essay is based off of a real case to a certain extent.

As a general matter, EPC issues don't really seem to lend themselves to essays very well. The analysis is usually pretty cursory- if protected class/fundamental right, game over. If rational basis, also game over.

Not really sure what you mean when you say "immigration." Other than the EPC issues re nationality, are we required to know anything that relates to immigration?

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:46 pm

150 MBE = auto pass if 30/30/30 essay and 50% fl mc?

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:16 pm

150 mbe means you need a 122 in fl. I would think getting 50% on fl mc and 30, 30, 30 has to be well above a 122. Right?

Joey4112

Postby Joey4112 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Do you we need to know our login information for Examsoft or do they give it to us? I thought I read we don't need to know it

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:55 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:150 MBE = auto pass if 30/30/30 essay and 50% fl mc?

I'd aim higher for your essay scores.

A 150 MBE will probably put you in a position to get 50% of the points available in Fl and still pass.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Do you we need to know our login information for Examsoft or do they give it to us? I thought I read we don't need to know it

ExamSoft users,

A few reminders for the exam:

*Your password will be on the Gold test booklet that will be on your desk when you enter the examination room.

* Remove all CD’s, DVD, USB memory keys, notes, etc. from your laptop before coming to the Convention Center. Any of these items brought into the Convention Center will be confiscated.

* If you have difficulties with the softest program, please contact ExamSoft support at 866-429-8889. If you have problems with your laptop the weekend before the examination, a technician will be available to assist you at the exam site on Monday, July 25, from 2-3 p.m., outside Meeting room 1 on the lower level of the convention center.

* Limited Technical Assistance will be provided prior to 9:15 a.m. at the front of the examination room on Tuesday morning.

* Softest Instructions for starting and exiting your examination will be on your desk on Tuesday morning. Please plug in your laptop and follow the instructions until you get to the warning screen with the RED STOP SIGNS indicating that you should not begin the exam until instructed to do so. Heed this warning.

* You are required to upload your essays by 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday evening following the examination. Copies of the upload instructions will be on a table outside the EXIT doors when you leave at the end of the day.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:04 pm

^ Thanks!!!

Joey4112

Postby Joey4112 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:24 pm

Like how hard do actually think it is to get a 40 on an essay?

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:35 pm

I pray to god we don't get fucked over with a dependency or secured transactions essay.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Like how hard do actually think it is to get a 40 on an essay?

Considering the average score on each essay won't be a 40, it would be above average.

I really think graders must have some type of checklist. Students miss out on points for not mentioning laws/issues. I can't imagine students get points deducted for wasting the readers time. It's possible you will have a low score on some type of checklist category like "was writer concise?? 1-5?"

My assumption is that students don't think of all the areas to write about because there isn't enough time and they don't know it cold.

Write your ass off.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”