Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

not guilty

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:16 pm

blueapple08 wrote:How'd everyone do on the MBE refresher practice exam? Does anyone know the average or what we were supposed to aim for? Idk if anyone else feels the same but a good chunk of the questions tested on the most obscure rules.

which program? people seem to be using multiple companies, but a safe number for that would be 70%.

js2937a

Postby js2937a » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:57 pm

blueapple08 wrote:How'd everyone do on the MBE refresher practice exam? Does anyone know the average or what we were supposed to aim for? Idk if anyone else feels the same but a good chunk of the questions tested on the most obscure rules.

I think Barbri recommended 56.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Barbri/Themis are so fucking cheap. Take the time to make a Florida Outline for every Florida subject. Don't talk about MBE law or Distinctions, just make the outline separate.

And certainly don't write under the FMR (felony murder rule) "Defendant Not Liable for Co-defendant's death by victim/police" when that is exactly how the FMR functions in Florida. 7-11 cashiers shooting robber 1 and robber 2 getting charged for it.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:38 pm

not guilty wrote:Barbri/Themis are so fucking cheap. Take the time to make a Florida Outline for every Florida subject. Don't talk about MBE law or Distinctions, just make the outline separate.

And certainly don't write under the FMR (felony murder rule) "Defendant Not Liable for Co-defendant's death by victim/police" when that is exactly how the FMR functions in Florida. 7-11 cashiers shooting robber 1 and robber 2 getting charged for it.

Wait I thought they aren't liable if the cop shoots their partner

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
not guilty wrote:Barbri/Themis are so fucking cheap. Take the time to make a Florida Outline for every Florida subject. Don't talk about MBE law or Distinctions, just make the outline separate.

Florida follows a minority rule: D is liable for second-degree murder if a co-felon is killed during the course of an enumerated felony (if the felony is not enumerated, then it's third-degree murder)

Unfortunate that Barbri is flat out wrong on this (along with a bunch of other points of law), but not really surprising

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Not very happy with barbri, especially their essay responses. They make some of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever read; one would likely lose points for some of the stuff they write. I read one that said "the corporation may argue that releasing its public records would violate its right against self incrimination. [Blah, blah, blah.] However, only people have a right against self-incrimination, not corporations, so this will probably fail." (I'm paraphrasing.) If I had made that argument in a law school exam, I would have had points deducted from my exam.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:17 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:Not very happy with barbri, especially their essay responses. They make some of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever read; one would likely lose points for some of the stuff they write. I read one that said "the corporation may argue that releasing its public records would violate its right against self incrimination. [Blah, blah, blah.] However, only people have a right against self-incrimination, not corporations, so this will probably fail." (I'm paraphrasing.) If I had made that argument in a law school exam, I would have had points deducted from my exam.

My favorite might be the multi-paragraph ethics rules they tack on to the end of each essay, regardless of whether those ethical rules are relevant

I imagine the essay writers' thought process as this: Contingency fee issue? "Oh, look, extra space on the page. let's include the rules on advertising and conflicts of interest just cuz"

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Cicero76 wrote:

if you kill someone during a felony then you are getting charged with:

Murder 1 if it was premeditated
Murder 2 if it was not premeditated
Murder 3 if it was not premeditated and not 1 of the felonies listed under murder 2 (Burglary, Robbery, etc)

so what happens if you rob a house and your co-defendant dies? You go down, hence the Felony Murder Rule. 2nd degree murder.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:52 pm

wwwcol wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:Not very happy with barbri, especially their essay responses. They make some of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever read; one would likely lose points for some of the stuff they write. I read one that said "the corporation may argue that releasing its public records would violate its right against self incrimination. [Blah, blah, blah.] However, only people have a right against self-incrimination, not corporations, so this will probably fail." (I'm paraphrasing.) If I had made that argument in a law school exam, I would have had points deducted from my exam.

My favorite might be the multi-paragraph ethics rules they tack on to the end of each essay, regardless of whether those ethical rules are relevant

I imagine the essay writers' thought process as this: Contingency fee issue? "Oh, look, extra space on the page. let's include the rules on advertising and conflicts of interest just cuz"

Yes! Those are by far the best. It'll be something like, "The facts do not mention whether the lawyer solicited his employment on the matter; but, if he did, he would have to have had adhered (typical barbri vocab/verbosity) to Florida's Rule on Solicitation requiring: (1) _, (2) _, (3) _, (4) _, (5) _, (6) _, (7) _, and (8) _. Also, the facts also do not say who is going to pay the lawyer, but if it happens to be the client's rich uncle, then the lawyer must advise him that (1) _, (2) _, and (3) _. Lastly, client can argue this is an Equal Protection Violation (they seem to love the EPC), but that would be ridiculous since this is a probate proceeding."

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm told that Themis doesn't offer a Juvenile Delinquency outline? Or a Dependency outline?

Jwashere

Postby Jwashere » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Repeat after me- "FUCK BARBRI." Now move on.
I gave up with their bullshit "model" essay answers a while back. Instead I focus on how close my answers are to the model answers released by the bar.
Most of the model answers wouldn't achieve a passing score on a law school exam. Few if any IRAC or contain "buzz words." If THOSE are the model answers, I'm not too stressed as long as they don't hit us with a subject matter I'm not comfortable with, such as secured trans., commercial paper, trusts, etc.

blueapple08

Postby blueapple08 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Yeah most of the state specific outlines and model answers have been terrible. How have you guys been studying the state specific issues?

Jwashere

Postby Jwashere » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:01 pm

blueapple08 wrote:Yeah most of the state specific outlines and model answers have been terrible. How have you guys been studying the state specific issues?

I just keep hitting the FL m/cand going over their explanations. Barbri's questions are taken mostly from previously released FL m/c questions (unlike their MBE questions).

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Part of the blame goes on the Florida Bar. Students should not have to pay a company to tell us what's on a test. The Bar should be releasing specific content, essentially outlines. Their goal is to make sure we are competent to be attorneys? Publish what we need to know then. Not just "Criminal Homicide."

They could even charge money for the outlines.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:49 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:

Florida follows a minority rule: D is liable for second-degree murder if a co-felon is killed during the course of an enumerated felony (if the felony is not enumerated, then it's third-degree murder)

Unfortunate that Barbri is flat out wrong on this (along with a bunch of other points of law), but not really surprising

Fuck Barbri so hard. How was I supposed to know this if I didn't go on a random message board?

I'm so fucked

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
I'm so fucked

Your sarcastic point is noted, but it's reasonable to assume your expensive bar prep company is giving you correct info.

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 pm

so one week left. any final predictions on the essays or mc?

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Anyone got a condensed mini attack outline for secured transactions; dependency; or juvenile delinquency?

Also, how's everyone feeling about the MBE portion? Are you all now prioritizing Florida? I'm currently brute memorizing Florida law for about 12 subjects, but wondering what everyone plans on doing for FL MC?

Jwashere

Postby Jwashere » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:02 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:Anyone got a condensed mini attack outline for secured transactions; dependency; or juvenile delinquency?

Also, how's everyone feeling about the MBE portion? Are you all now prioritizing Florida? I'm currently brute memorizing Florida law for about 12 subjects, but wondering what everyone plans on doing for FL MC?

My daily schedule:
50 m/c adaptibar to warm up.
25 q from 3 areas of FL m/c.
Issue spotting as many essays as I can muster.

Memorizing FL law doesn't do diddly for me. Practicing the questions, even those that I've already completed, helps reinforce the material.

YMMV

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Jwashere wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:Anyone got a condensed mini attack outline for secured transactions; dependency; or juvenile delinquency?

My daily schedule:

Memorizing FL law doesn't do diddly for me. Practicing the questions, even those that I've already completed, helps reinforce the material.

YMMV

Where are you finding the FL MC?

Jwashere

Postby Jwashere » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Jwashere wrote:

My daily schedule:

YMMV

Where are you finding the FL MC?

Barbri materials.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:05 pm

"Write a memo to your boss about whether or not Plaintiff has a contract"

why would I ever waste my boss's time about offer, acceptance, consideration? if the issue was SOF I would spend a paragraph going over SOF and then applying to our facts with a conclusion.

but I suppose on the bar exam that will cost me a ton of points.

Question should really be: here are the facts, explain to a 1L whether there is a contract here or not.

wise4

Postby wise4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:32 pm

^ Are you insane!?!?!?!

I hope the Florida Bar smashes us with a nice contract essay with formation and defenses. I will write that damn memo all day.

My current day is: Hit 2/4 FL MCQ's and flashcards for a few hours; Outline three essays; spend the rest of the day doing MBE MCQ's and flashcards.

I am going to spend Saturday memorizing the basic elements of UCC 3 and 9 so its fresh in my head come Tuesday. I'll forget it if I do it any earlier.

As far as Delinquency, I just memorized the UCCJEA for jurisdiction issues and just the overall adoption, termination of parental rights, and the substantial changes for modifications. As far as Juvenile, I memorized how the are tried compared to adults, how there sentence is, and when they can temporary leave juvenile. I really don't give a shit to learn much more.

At this point, I feel like I've done all I can. At this point, I'm just fighting through the day to keep the law fresh in my mind while everyone around me is catching pokemon or protesting over 600 different things.

Here's to FL MCQ of Procedure, Wills, and Evidence and ESSAYS that people actually spent reasonable time studying for. Cheers.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 am

Does FL bar have FL-only contract distinctions? Asking for a friend.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:00 pm

wise4 wrote:^ Are you insane!?!?!?!

I hope the Florida Bar smashes us with a nice contract essay with formation and defenses. I will write that damn memo all day.

My current day is: Hit 2/4 FL MCQ's and flashcards for a few hours; Outline three essays; spend the rest of the day doing MBE MCQ's and flashcards.

I am going to spend Saturday memorizing the basic elements of UCC 3 and 9 so its fresh in my head come Tuesday. I'll forget it if I do it any earlier.

As far as Delinquency, I just memorized the UCCJEA for jurisdiction issues and just the overall adoption, termination of parental rights, and the substantial changes for modifications. As far as Juvenile, I memorized how the are tried compared to adults, how there sentence is, and when they can temporary leave juvenile. I really don't give a shit to learn much more.

At this point, I feel like I've done all I can. At this point, I'm just fighting through the day to keep the law fresh in my mind while everyone around me is catching pokemon or protesting over 600 different things.

Here's to FL MCQ of Procedure, Wills, and Evidence and ESSAYS that people actually spent reasonable time studying for. Cheers.

That was more of just a comment about the grading system.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”