Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Tzhs

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tzhs » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:59 pm

kcam1991 wrote:
Tzhs wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:For those who used Themis, were the practice questions primarily in the books or online. I'm askin because I'm looking into buying a book set from eBay and self studying

Online. You could pick up the mbe part online through adaptibar. As someone who has been out of law school for many years, I did find a value to having my essays graded. If you want to buy used themis books that have barely been written in, pm me!

Do you think I could pass Part A with the books alone? I found about 400+ FL MCQ on the Florida bar site.

While some people might be able to, I don't think that I would have been able to pass the multiple choice without all of the questions on line. It really is a hard test and every little bit helps!

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Tzhs wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:
Tzhs wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:For those who used Themis, were the practice questions primarily in the books or online. I'm askin because I'm looking into buying a book set from eBay and self studying

Online. You could pick up the mbe part online through adaptibar. As someone who has been out of law school for many years, I did find a value to having my essays graded. If you want to buy used themis books that have barely been written in, pm me!

Do you think I could pass Part A with the books alone? I found about 400+ FL MCQ on the Florida bar site.

While some people might be able to, I don't think that I would have been able to pass the multiple choice without all of the questions on line. It really is a hard test and every little bit helps!

Thanks for the advice and congrats on passing the bar!

SilvermanBarPrep

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:36 pm

"From what Kaplan has told me, MC is going to be 3 subject. One subject is guaranteed to be Civ/crim Pro, and the other two can be either evidence, wills/trusts, or business entities. I think Evidence is one of the subject 90% of the time. Wills and BE are 50% each. Also, evidence wasn't on Feb., so I am hoping we get it."

This is absolutely true. And the pattern has persisted for so long that there is no reason to believe it will change. You can assume that these are the multiple-choice subjects and study them accordingly. Unfortunately, the essay subjects are becoming tougher to predict. On this last exam there was a full essay on Commercial Paper. The subject had shown up previously, but prior to February 2016 it was a sub-topic within a larger Contracts essay. In other words, it seemed that the Board was treating this subject as they treat Professional Conduct. But they threw everyone for a loop, and perhaps more surprises are coming.....

--Sean

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:47 pm

not guilty wrote:
salsahips wrote:Are high bar scores considered marketable? Is it something worth putting on a cover letter/resume or bringing up in an interview?

Additionally, anyone know of a way to see where you ranked in Florida? If the answer to the above question is YES, then I assume your score is only marketable if it is over a certain threshold (top 1, top 5, top 10??)

Last year's highest scorer in Florida got a 175, my score was 169. Would love to know where this falls, if I can indeed use it when talking to firms.

Mind telling us what you did for prep? (Hate you).

I did the Barbri online course.

Watched every lecture at 1.5x-2x speed, filled out all the lecture outlines they give you (had to make some for some topics that they didn't make outlines for)

Did all the MC assignments. Did about the first 10-15 essay assignments, for the rest of the essay assignments I read the prompt, VERY broadly sketched our an answer, and read over the model answer to look for the key concepts/jargon I missed.

I worked part time while I studied, and tapered my work hours down as the bar date got closer. I would study about 40-50 hours a week including weekends. I tried to not overdo it and about half way in started to take Sundays off completely to get outdoors/clear my head. While I read that most people ramped up the last two weeks, I found myself somewhat ramping down, but diving deeper into the areas I felt I was weak. I finished the Barbri course about two weeks early (completed about 80% - most of what I did not complete where the exam review lectures, I found it more effective and efficient to go over the exams -- question by question -- myself) so I found myself with unstructured free time. The last week I reviewed outlines of areas where I felt weak and literally walked around my house reciting black letter for essay prep. Funny enough, none of the essays were on the topics I focused on/thought would be tested (Florida Con Law, Family Law, Homestead, Contracts, Torts) but I was saved by the fact that I studied commercial paper a little more in depth than Barbri advised (there ended up being a standalone commercial paper essay for the first time ever, and while I doubt I got a great score, I definitely knew the fundamental concepts to hit on -- as opposed to a lot of kids I knew that either BS'd a few sentences or left the essay blank).

Also, starting at about the half way point, I began taking my own MC "mini" tests of about 10-15 questions at a time. I set up the exams to give me only new questions and towards the end would begin to include old questions that I had answered incorrectly.

I think what helped the most was to make sure I didn't overdo it and burn out. I rarely studied past 10:00 and never studied past 11:00. I got a solid 7-8 hours sleep. I kept in contact with two friends who had passed the bar recently, and their perspective really helped with the anxiety about whether you're approaching study the right way and fear of failure that inevitably forms. Ultimately, you should not reinvent the wheel. You should keep the same study habits you've formed throughout the years since they've served you well (I mean, you graduated undergrad and law school right?!).

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions or reach out through PM.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 am

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:"From what Kaplan has told me, MC is going to be 3 subject. One subject is guaranteed to be Civ/crim Pro, and the other two can be either evidence, wills/trusts, or business entities. I think Evidence is one of the subject 90% of the time. Wills and BE are 50% each. Also, evidence wasn't on Feb., so I am hoping we get it."

This is absolutely true. And the pattern has persisted for so long that there is no reason to believe it will change. You can assume that these are the multiple-choice subjects and study them accordingly. Unfortunately, the essay subjects are becoming tougher to predict. On this last exam there was a full essay on Commercial Paper. The subject had shown up previously, but prior to February 2016 it was a sub-topic within a larger Contracts essay. In other words, it seemed that the Board was treating this subject as they treat Professional Conduct. But they threw everyone for a loop, and perhaps more surprises are coming.....

--Sean

The other problem with the mixing up of formats is that I think that knowing how to answer Con Law questions for the MBE is different than knowing how to answer Con Law questions with that level of specificity needed so that you can spit out the black letter rule for each matter being tested by essay. For example, it never occurred to me before the Feb test that I should have known the different standards of freedom of commercial speech with the same level of specificity that I needed in order to lay the rules out with the same specificity for various criminal offenses. I believe this accounts for why the average score for the Con Law essay was lower than the average score for the crim law/crim procedure essay (even though in some ways, the Con Law essay was more straightforward and had fewer hard issues to identify).

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:35 pm

SD13 wrote:
apm5743 wrote:
Tzhs wrote:Received my exam results in the mail (in IL) on Friday and my mpre results were reported to FL last Wednesday, but have not received information about swearing in or the oath, etc. Just curious for anyone who had their mpre received by FL on Wednesday, have they received any follow up communications after the bar results, and if so, when? TIA!

In a similar vein, I'm interested in hearing from anyone waiting on the background investigation. I submitted my application in mid-December. I received a letter in late Jan./early Feb. requesting additional information about an arrest that occurred when I was a teenager. I promptly responded to that request.

The letter notifying me that I passed the bar exam states: "Normal processing of an application requires 6 to 8 months. . . . If you have complied with all outstanding requests and passed all parts of the examination, your file has been given priority."

For anyone else waiting on his/her background investigation: When did you submit your application? What have you received from the FBBE, and when did you receive it?

I'd also appreciate any insight from those who have had to wait on the C&F portion on past exams. I'm already licensed in two states and have no blemishes on my record since getting licensed, but I've read several horror stories online about people who have waited longer than 8 months for the FBBE to complete the investigation.

APM- I sent in my bar application Sept of 15. FBBE requested a few documents a couple months later (to which I promptly responded). I ultimately ended up getting news from them in April of 16. I requested an update after six months, to which they responded with the "6-8 months processing" time letter. My background took about 7 1/2 months total.

Received the congratulations letter (you are ready to be sworn in) in today's mail in Illinois. I submitted my application on November 15, 2015. The process went smoothly; my application was boring and no additional questions were asked by the Board of Bar Examiners.

Good luck to all!

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 pm

here we go again :evil: :x :evil:

Let's hope they don't bring in a new MC Subject.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat May 21, 2016 6:51 pm

"Questions on Part A are designed to test your knowledge of both general law and Florida law. When Florida law varies from general law, the question should be answered in accordance with Florida law"

I find this funny because the Fla bar will not specify about what State the fact pattern is even in. Not to mention your bar prep company won't make a big deal about MBE Torts vs Fla Torts. See Feb 15' Fla Bar Exam which had a Con law/torts essay.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat May 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Subjects to Know for Florida Bar:

1. MBE Property
2. MBE Civ Pro
3. MBE Con Law
4. MBE Contracts (UCC Article 2)
5. MBE Criminal Law
6. MBE Evidence
7. MBE Crim Pro
8. MBE Torts
9. Fla Civ Pro
10. Fla Crim Pro
11. Fla Evidence
12. Fla Partnerships (RUPA)
13. Fla Corporations
14. Fla Wills and Estates (Probate Code)
15. Florida Rules of Judicial Administration
16. Fla Criminal Law
17. Florida Constitutional Criminal Procedure (protection of an accused)
18. Fla Juvenile Delinquency
19. Fla Family Law (Divorce, Adoption, Custody, Paternity)
20. Fla Dependency Law
21. Fla Con Law
22. Fla Torts (know distinctions)
23. Fla Trusts (Fla Trusts Code)
24. UCC Article 3 Commercial Paper
25. UCC Article 9 Secured Transactions
26. Fla Property (know distinctions)
27. Fla Contracts (know distinctions)
28. Chapter 4 and 5 Regulating the Bar
29. Florida Rules of Professionalism

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Did anyone understand what the lecturer for Trusts (FL) BARBRI video was talking about? All he did was provide a bunch of hypos that are disorganized. I never took trusts in law school and I'm just as confused after watching his lecture and completing the assessment.

blueapple08

Postby blueapple08 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:56 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:Did anyone understand what the lecturer for Trusts (FL) BARBRI video was talking about? All he did was provide a bunch of hypos that are disorganized. I never took trusts in law school and I'm just as confused after watching his lecture and completing the assessment.

Nope. I took trusts in law school and it sounds like I was just as lost as you. Did not like the lecture at all.

js2937a

Postby js2937a » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:59 pm

I also found the Barbri FL Trusts lecture to be awful. Please let me know if anybody has anything that might be clearer than the disorganized hypos.

Ramble On

Postby Ramble On » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:31 pm

js2937a wrote:I also found the Barbri FL Trusts lecture to be awful. Please let me know if anybody has anything that might be clearer than the disorganized hypos.

I feel like the conviser mini review section on trusts is pretty helpful. I used it for studying for my trusts exam last semester and ending up doing well after not really understanding anything from class. I would just use that while doing a few trusts essays and you'll probably learn it well enough to pass.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:07 pm

js2937a wrote:I also found the Barbri FL Trusts lecture to be awful. Please let me know if anybody has anything that might be clearer than the disorganized hypos.

I would read the Trusts example answers on the Fla bar exam website. Those will show you that the same Trusts issues continually pop up. It's just rule memorization.

blueapple08

Postby blueapple08 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Has anyone found a good resource for Florida specific rules and distinctions? The commercial bar prep courses seem to be slacking in this regard, not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 pm

How did everyone do on Barbri's Mixed Sets 1 and 2?

Anyone know whether these sorts of questions are representative of the actual MBE?

LowLSATSadFace

Postby LowLSATSadFace » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Advice Needed

Taking Florida Bar Exam in a few weeks. I am almost 20 days behind in the barbri personal study plan. At this rate, there is no way I will catch up. What should I do?

Right now, I am watching the video lectures and doing the practice questions they assign (but not the personal homework ones).

Not sure how I am going to pass...

grixxlybear99

Postby grixxlybear99 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Barbri doesn't set out time to memorize the rules for the Florida essay portion. How is everyone planning on memorizing the rules for the essays?

Should I set aside 3 hours each day for a subject and try to memorize every subject from now until the bar exam?

Just a bit worried. Not sure how tough the essay graders are and I'm not good at making up rules from vague recollection.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:05 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:Barbri doesn't set out time to memorize the rules for the Florida essay portion. How is everyone planning on memorizing the rules for the essays?

Should I set aside 3 hours each day for a subject and try to memorize every subject from now until the bar exam?

Just a bit worried. Not sure how tough the essay graders are and I'm not good at making up rules from vague recollection.

I'm also trying to adjust, since I'm not retaining any info by reading through the outlines Barbri gives us. I'll probably do at least one or two practice essays a week in Torts, Prop, Contracts, and especially FL ConLaw. There are a couple other subjects that might pop up, e.g. Crim, Family, Delinquency, and UCC stuff, but those don't appear all that regularly. On the other hand, looking at the recently tested topics, there is way more variability in the potential essay topics than there used to be... :?

pdwannabe

Postby pdwannabe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:38 pm

LowLSATSadFace wrote:Advice Needed

Taking Florida Bar Exam in a few weeks. I am almost 20 days behind in the barbri personal study plan. At this rate, there is no way I will catch up. What should I do?

Right now, I am watching the video lectures and doing the practice questions they assign (but not the personal homework ones).

same

i had a bunch of weddings this summer and fell way behind on the PSP. now i have no idea how to catch up or what my strategy should even be

is there anywhere on here that has quick 2-3 week bar study plans? thats what i need right now

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 am

LowLSATSadFace wrote:Advice Needed

Being behind a personal study plan doesn't mean failure.

I would hit on weak subjects mostly because the Bar demands consistency to pass. Sure you don't have to be perfect, but you can't bomb an entire subject if you're only scoring 60% on the other subjects.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:18 am

Essay Subject Guesses (yes, guessing is absolutely pointless):

Trusts
Fla Con Law
Real Property
Professionalism

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 am

not guilty wrote:Essay Subject Guesses (yes, guessing is absolutely pointless):

Trusts
Fla Con Law
Real Property
Professionalism

What about MC?

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 pm

kcam1991 wrote:
not guilty wrote:Essay Subject Guesses (yes, guessing is absolutely pointless):

Trusts
Fla Con Law
Real Property
Professionalism

What about MC?

We basically know what the MC will be. FL Procedure is guaranteed as one of the topics, and for the last 10 administrations the other subjects have been 2 of these 3: Evidence, Business Entities, or Wills/Estates.

No idea what the essays could be. July 2016 will sort of be a guinea pig to see whether the Bar Examiners test mainly on MBE subjects like they used to, or whether they continue the trend of focusing more on state-specific topics like Delinquency or Family Law.

Joey4112

Postby Joey4112 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Anyone know what the MC topics were for Feb 2016?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”