Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Nikip_1115

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Nikip_1115 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:59 pm

lawfl1010 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:Does anyone have a discount code for Adaptibar?

I am in a similar position. I was a first time taker in Feb. I passed Florida and failed MBE...and failed overall. I appreciate the tips and am looking into Adaptibar.

Also wondering if anyone has a discount code I can use.

Thanks.

I sent you a PM with instructions on how to get the code for Adaptiabr. If anyone else is interested feel free to PM me and I will do the same. It's the only reason I passed the MBE and highly recommend it to everyone. To those that did not pass, stay positive and keep at it! You will pass!

Thank you all so much. I am definitely using Adaptibar this time. I've heard great reviews.

apm5743

Postby apm5743 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:17 pm

salsahips wrote:Are high bar scores considered marketable? Is it something worth putting on a cover letter/resume or bringing up in an interview?

Additionally, anyone know of a way to see where you ranked in Florida? If the answer to the above question is YES, then I assume your score is only marketable if it is over a certain threshold (top 1, top 5, top 10??)

Last year's highest scorer in Florida got a 175, my score was 169. Would love to know where this falls, if I can indeed use it when talking to firms.

Unless you received the highest score on the bar exam, I don't think your score is really marketable. This is due in part to the fact that (as far as I know) the FBBE does not release statistical rankings, so you won't know your precise rank unless you're the top scorer (in which case you get a call from the FBBE and an article in the press). So you can say, "I got a 169 and the top score was a 175," but you won't be able to say with certainty that you scored (e.g.) in the top 5%.

Further, most hiring partners (and lawyers in general) know that doing well on the bar exam only loosely correlates with your ability to practice law. So it's not something I would put down in a cover letter or resume. For example, I got a 180 on the July '12 MBE (essay scores were not released), but you won't find that on my resume because I don't think a hiring partner would particularly care. My recommendation would be to focus on your other accomplishments in your cover letter and resume, and think of a tactful way to spin how well you did on the bar if it comes up in an interview.

But of course put down that you've passed the FL bar (or that you're a licensed FL attorney if you've been sworn in)!!! Congrats on that and on how well you did! I just checked my mailbox, and I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out my scores.

Em_Banc

Postby Em_Banc » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Thank you lawfl1010 for the promo! I'm not even a FL taker but I have faith everyone can get over this 136 hump.

dazzliing

Postby dazzliing » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:
dazzliing wrote:lawfl1010 I sent you a PM too for the adaptibar code please :) . Seems like a couple of us are in the same boat. Passed Part A failed Part B. :(

Did you take a bar prep course? I took Barbri. BUT, I used other materials to pass Florida. I have a friend who performed exact same way and prepared the exact same way. I think Barbri let us down.

Going to do Adaptibar this time. Good luck to you.

I took only Themis and did about 76% of the course and also felt let down and overwhelmed by the material. Admittedly, I was working full time and have two toddlers but I started studying very early in November and did over 1500 MBE questions as well. I felt with time, I was getting better then I started getting worse and I lost my confidence. I can't wait to see what my actual scores are. To be honest, I think the studying/material for Themis is similar to Barbri. I took the NY bar 10 years ago and passed on the first take, I had to switch from Barbri to Pieper amdPMBR because I was sucked into Barbri from 1L year, but after the first day I knew it wouldn't work for me. ( It works for others but not me).

I searched high and low for a prep course similar in style to Pieper for Florida but the options for Florida were limited. I just wish I knew about Adaptibar earlier, I have been out of exam mode for so long that I only found out about it two weeks to the bar and that was out of desperation to find something else that would assist me with the MBE. It is spilt milk now, I just have to look on the bright side which is it could be worse and I have to take both or I have to do Florida portion again, which with its unpredictability, I had rather not!

We should definitely keep our heads up, we will kill the MBE fingers crossed in July!!

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Well scores arrived FL Part A 131.5 and B 138 for a 134.5 avg.... Failed by 1.5..... So frustrating Essay 3 screwed me above the mean for Essay 1 and 2.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:24 pm

legal10101 wrote:Well scores arrived FL Part A 131.5 and B 138 for a 134.5 avg.... Failed by 1.5..... So frustrating Essay 3 screwed me above the mean for Essay 1 and 2.

What were your essay and mc scores for Part A? I guess sections 1-6?

apm5743

Postby apm5743 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Got my scores in the mail today. 174 on Part A; 181 on Part B; 177.5 Overall.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Do they not send us the raw score break down of MC and essay on Part A if we pass? Curious to see how I got a 139 on Part A after completely bombing the third essay.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 pm

legal10101 wrote:Well scores arrived FL Part A 131.5 and B 138 for a 134.5 avg.... Failed by 1.5..... So frustrating Essay 3 screwed me above the mean for Essay 1 and 2.

What were your MC scores? I remember during my bar prep and the Florida bar prep course that I took 3L year people saying that MC points are weighted more heavily in the scaled score than Essay points. I remember them showing examples where test taker A had a higher raw score than test taker B but because test taker B's raw points came mostly from MC while test taker A's raw points came mostly from essays, B passed and A failed.

apm5743

Postby apm5743 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Iceman389 wrote:

What were your MC scores? I remember during my bar prep and the Florida bar prep course that I took 3L year people saying that MC points are weighted more heavily in the scaled score than Essay points. I remember them showing examples where test taker A had a higher raw score than test taker B but because test taker B's raw points came mostly from MC while test taker A's raw points came mostly from essays, B passed and A failed.

I passed and did not receive a breakdown of my scores--just my overall scaled scores. Here's a link to an article discussing how raw scores are converted to scaled scores: http://www.aplusebooks.com/florida-bar- ... ed-scores/. The article suggests that, with respect to Part A, a high raw score on the MC questions is preferable to a high raw score on the essays.

lawfl1010

Postby lawfl1010 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:21 pm

apm5743 wrote:Got my scores in the mail today. 174 on Part A; 181 on Part B; 177.5 Overall.

what bar prep course did you use?

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:25 pm

salsahips wrote:Are high bar scores considered marketable? Is it something worth putting on a cover letter/resume or bringing up in an interview?

Additionally, anyone know of a way to see where you ranked in Florida? If the answer to the above question is YES, then I assume your score is only marketable if it is over a certain threshold (top 1, top 5, top 10??)

Last year's highest scorer in Florida got a 175, my score was 169. Would love to know where this falls, if I can indeed use it when talking to firms.

Mind telling us what you did for prep? (Hate you).

apm5743

Postby apm5743 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm

lawfl1010 wrote:
apm5743 wrote:Got my scores in the mail today. 174 on Part A; 181 on Part B; 177.5 Overall.

what bar prep course did you use?

I used Barbri's online course. I watched all but two of the video lectures (civ pro and torts because I practice in those areas). I did about 1,000 MBE practice questions and usually read the answer explanations carefully even if I got the question right. I correctly guessed the Part A MC topics (Bus Orgs, Evidence and FL Procedure) and did almost all of the practice questions Barbri had on those topics. I spent a lot less time on essay prep. And other than Ethics, I guessed completely wrong on the essay topics. But I did spend some time on FL Crim Law and Negotiable Instruments in the days leading up to the exam because I felt those were two of my weakest subjects.

Ab_Atty

Postby Ab_Atty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:25 pm

I wanted to add a word of encouragement to those who are retaking the exam in July. I did not pass (missed it by a point and a half) in July. Was totally bummed. I had previously passed two other state bars- I knew the MBE was going to be my weakness since I scored 136 both times. I received a 135 in July and was determined to conquer it. I signed up for adaptibar and it's, hands down, the best $300 I've ever spent. I received my scores today and passed part A with a 141 and part B with a 150. I credit my MBE score all to adaptibar. After taking the MBE 4 times this was the only time I walked out with a smile on my face. I felt like I had seen most of the questions, or variations of, before.

I took Themis in July and felt totally let down by the Florida multiple choice. This time, I took Barbri and really focused on the multiple choice. I did all three practice tests they offer and studied those the 2 days before the exam. The day of, I couldn't believe how many I knew. I finished the afternoon session in an hour. Literally every question was one I had seen on Barbri. Every single one. I know I bombed the essays, especially the last one. I don't know my score breakdown for the florida portion but I bet the multiple choice saved me.

My advice to those re-taking is keep your head up, sign up for barbri (their state material is far superior and worth the extra money) and pay for adaptibar.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:51 am

Question for people who have used Adaptibar ... I've already paid for the Kaplan course and plan on using that. Can you use Adaptibar in conjunction with a full course like Kaplan?

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm

seancris wrote:Question for people who have used Adaptibar ... I've already paid for the Kaplan course and plan on using that. Can you use Adaptibar in conjunction with a full course like Kaplan?

of course. it's a supplement. schedule 1 day a week just for adaptibar.

starry24

Postby starry24 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 am

Nikip_1115 wrote:This is my first time posting. I passed Florida part A on my first attempt and this is my second time failing the MBE. I have no idea how to study for July. I thought I nailed it.

I took Barbri, I was testing at 72/100. I completed over 2000 Mc questions including 2 tsets from ncbe. At this point I feel like I don't know anything. I even finished with time to spare, so time management isn't an issue.

Taking this test a 3rd time is just exhausting. And on top of that I can't bare lettering my family down yet again. I know mental state is everything and by June I will be back prepared but right now I just need suggestions please.

I now have more Barbri questions, critical pass cards and celebration testing material. Should I take both part A and B so that I can possibly pass with the overall method or should I just go for mbe only?

If you don’t mind my asking, what was your score on the MBE this time? With a 72/100 on Barbri, and 2,000 practice questions, it sounds like you should have been in very good shape for the actual exam. Do you think there were 1 or 2 subjects that you were struggling with much more than the others? Does Florida provide a breakdown of your MBE score by subject?

I took Parts A and B for the first time in Feb, but I focused my studying on the MBE. I was also working full-time while I was studying, so my schedule was a bit different (I started early).

Here is what I did for the MBE: Every weekend, I basically retyped an entire CMR outline. It may sound like a complete waste of time, but it was very helpful for me to learn the black letter law, and basically the only studying of the black letter law that I did at all. When you sit there and actually type it out, I think it helps you internalize and forces you to actually work through the rules, rather than just passively reading the outlines. The act of typing out the outlines was the most useful part, rather than the finished outline itself. I would listen to the lectures on my commute to work for reinforcement. After I finished the outline, I would start doing MBE questions. I would spend the week when I got home from work doing as many Barbri MBE questions as I could, and most importantly, I read the explanations thoroughly. If there was a question that got me, I would go back into my retyped CMR outline and add a note about it. This worked out well for me.

Ultimately, I am not sure how many MBE questions I did – probably about 1,700 total? As others have posted, doing MBE questions and reading the explanation is the most important prep you can do for the MBE. I did not use Adaptibar, but I did buy the Emanuel’s book (also has only real MBE questions—the book was like $70, but then I sold it back to Amazon and got a $20 credit, so it ended up being like $50), because I got nervous about what everyone was saying about the Barbri questions being very different from the actual MBE. I know I am in the minority here, but I actually did not notice much of a difference.

Anyway, I agree with earlier posts advising you to take only Part B this time. There are so many additional topics that you have to know for Part A (and the examiners are testing very nitpicky things—you run the risk of, like, an entire essay on juvenile delinquency—who even knows anything about that). With the MBE, you only need to be prepared for questions in a few defined areas. Do not waste brain space on things like Florida procedure and wills. Further, the bar exam is just so exhausting—you will be in a much better position if you are well rested, rather than recovering from Part A the day before.

Please do not be discouraged. You can do this! You’ve already passed Part A, which, to be honest, I think is a more difficult exam than the MBE (making sense of those horribly written FL multiple choice questions is an accomplishment in itself!). You’ve got what it takes to pass; it sounds like you just need to adjust your strategy a bit.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Received my exam results in the mail (in IL) on Friday and my mpre results were reported to FL last Wednesday, but have not received information about swearing in or the oath, etc. Just curious for anyone who had their mpre received by FL on Wednesday, have they received any follow up communications after the bar results, and if so, when? TIA!

apm5743

Postby apm5743 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Tzhs wrote:Received my exam results in the mail (in IL) on Friday and my mpre results were reported to FL last Wednesday, but have not received information about swearing in or the oath, etc. Just curious for anyone who had their mpre received by FL on Wednesday, have they received any follow up communications after the bar results, and if so, when? TIA!

In a similar vein, I'm interested in hearing from anyone waiting on the background investigation. I submitted my application in mid-December. I received a letter in late Jan./early Feb. requesting additional information about an arrest that occurred when I was a teenager. I promptly responded to that request.

The letter notifying me that I passed the bar exam states: "Normal processing of an application requires 6 to 8 months. . . . If you have complied with all outstanding requests and passed all parts of the examination, your file has been given priority."

For anyone else waiting on his/her background investigation: When did you submit your application? What have you received from the FBBE, and when did you receive it?

I'd also appreciate any insight from those who have had to wait on the C&F portion on past exams. I'm already licensed in two states and have no blemishes on my record since getting licensed, but I've read several horror stories online about people who have waited longer than 8 months for the FBBE to complete the investigation.

SD13

Postby SD13 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:06 am

apm5743 wrote:
Tzhs wrote:Received my exam results in the mail (in IL) on Friday and my mpre results were reported to FL last Wednesday, but have not received information about swearing in or the oath, etc. Just curious for anyone who had their mpre received by FL on Wednesday, have they received any follow up communications after the bar results, and if so, when? TIA!

In a similar vein, I'm interested in hearing from anyone waiting on the background investigation. I submitted my application in mid-December. I received a letter in late Jan./early Feb. requesting additional information about an arrest that occurred when I was a teenager. I promptly responded to that request.

The letter notifying me that I passed the bar exam states: "Normal processing of an application requires 6 to 8 months. . . . If you have complied with all outstanding requests and passed all parts of the examination, your file has been given priority."

For anyone else waiting on his/her background investigation: When did you submit your application? What have you received from the FBBE, and when did you receive it?

I'd also appreciate any insight from those who have had to wait on the C&F portion on past exams. I'm already licensed in two states and have no blemishes on my record since getting licensed, but I've read several horror stories online about people who have waited longer than 8 months for the FBBE to complete the investigation.

APM- I sent in my bar application Sept of 15. FBBE requested a few documents a couple months later (to which I promptly responded). I ultimately ended up getting news from them in April of 16. I requested an update after six months, to which they responded with the "6-8 months processing" time letter. My background took about 7 1/2 months total.

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:33 pm

For those who used Themis, were the practice questions primarily in the books or online. I'm askin because I'm looking into buying a book set from eBay and self studying

Mtell0004

Postby Mtell0004 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 pm

I passed this time around but unlike in for the July 2016 exam I did not receive a breakdown of my score for each Part.

It just gave me my score for Part A and Part B + Overall score.

Why is this?

OSUDEVIL

Postby OSUDEVIL » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:54 am

Mtell0004 wrote:I passed this time around but unlike in for the July 2016 exam I did not receive a breakdown of my score for each Part.

It just gave me my score for Part A and Part B + Overall score.

Why is this?

They only give your total score for each section. If you do not pass, then they give a more detailed breakdown. At least you know what you received for Part A. In most states, the MBE is all you get to see if you pass. Congrats on passing!!!

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:46 am

kcam1991 wrote:For those who used Themis, were the practice questions primarily in the books or online. I'm askin because I'm looking into buying a book set from eBay and self studying

Online. You could pick up the mbe part online through adaptibar. As someone who has been out of law school for many years, I did find a value to having my essays graded. If you want to buy used themis books that have barely been written in, pm me!

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Tzhs wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:For those who used Themis, were the practice questions primarily in the books or online. I'm askin because I'm looking into buying a book set from eBay and self studying

Online. You could pick up the mbe part online through adaptibar. As someone who has been out of law school for many years, I did find a value to having my essays graded. If you want to buy used themis books that have barely been written in, pm me!

Do you think I could pass Part A with the books alone? I found about 400+ FL MCQ on the Florida bar site.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”