Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Bartaker7277

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Bartaker7277 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:03 am

Can anyone explain what they wrote about for federal con law essay? Standing, free Speech, equal protection, due process? I feel like I bombed this essay.

As for crim law, did everyone catch felony mudder?

727law

Postby 727law » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:24 am

Bartaker7277 wrote:Can anyone explain what they wrote about for federal con law essay? Standing, free Speech, equal protection, due process? I feel like I bombed this essay.

I pretty much broke it down like this (in order, strongest arguments first(: 1) General requirements of a Bill (farmers argue overbroad, state argues reasonably related to welfare); 2) Standing (probably had non); 3) Free Speech (Big analysis); 4) Commerce Clause (Big Analysis); then I pretty much dumped the rest of Fed Con Law in there to steal as many points as possible. I touched EP, and Privileges and Immunities (not sure if it applies but treating out of state people different so why not), impairment of contracts (assumed that maybe if negotiations with tv station were further along then this could apply) Ex Post Facto (literally dumping everything at this point). I think I had another topic or two but I cant remember. Unfortunately I was all over the place on this essay and my organization was terrible. I had a hard time remembering which scrutiny applied where, especially for speech and commerce clause (content based/nuetral, burden on commerce etc.) so I just put down as much as I could and tried to work the facts into Issues. It seemed like a free for all essay though, with a lot to discuss, so I wouldn't be too worried as long as you got a lot of words down.

The only thing that I remember bothered me and I didnt address was about the misdemeanor for violating the statute. Maybe that had to do with access to courts? Also I don't think I hit Due process, not sure why. I kind of felt like it was more EP then due process I guess but I still should have definitely touched DP and shot it down.

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:41 am

Damn you wrote a lot! i didn't get to commerce clause which is why I'm so worried. did you do commercial speech? mostly everyone i know just did free speech and mentioned commercial but didn't go into depth about it.

Commercial paper essay was horrible. how many people knew all of the elements and could apply it?

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:43 am

As for the misdemeanor i touched on separation of powers. pretty sure thats wrong but I didn't know what else it went to. I wanted to do all the analysis under the Florida Constitution but I figured I wouldn't get any points

727law

Postby 727law » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:07 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:Damn you wrote a lot! i didn't get to commerce clause which is why I'm so worried. did you do commercial speech? mostly everyone i know just did free speech and mentioned commercial but didn't go into depth about it.

Commercial paper essay was horrible. how many people knew all of the elements and could apply it?

I touched a lot of aspects of speech. I mentioned the commercial speech because its a lower scrutiny but there was a lot of speech issues you could have received points for.

All I knew about Commercial was the elements to what makes something negotiable, and hdc stuff. I had a hard time applying anything else I knew because I was thrown off by the fact that the good guy was being sued by the people whom the other guy ripped off. It's a hard essay because there weren't a lot of essays to read and look at to prepare for a straight comm/secured fact pattern. Even memorizing a handful of the rules didn't help me because my analysis was pathetic.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:Can anyone explain what they wrote about for federal con law essay? Standing, free Speech, equal protection, due process? I feel like I bombed this essay.

I hit on Felony Murder. If you go back a few pages you will see our arguments. Although I think a moderator edited comments because we were posting about specific questions, however Fla Bar essays are not private so that's lame.

MBE numbers hit an all time low or lowest in 33 years.

THE_U

Postby THE_U » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:44 pm

This is going to be a looonnng week.

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:43 am

Everyone ready for monday??

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:Everyone ready for monday??

https://mobile.twitter.com/flcourts

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Anyone think the pass rates will be lower this time? Based on other states results so far?

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:Anyone think the pass rates will be lower this time? Based on other states results so far?

If you look at the percentile charts published by Illinois for February '16, it appears as if the median score, in illinois, was below 135. Assuming that the scores in illinois are roughly comparable to the scores in Florida, this implies that the median score on the mbe in Florida for Feb '16 will be below 135, below the cut rate of 136. Based on the illinois chart, it appears as if only approximately 45 percent of the test takers scored 136 or above on the mbe.

Assuming that Florida scales its state scores in accordance with mbe scores, this implies that the median florida multiple choice/essay score will be below 135 as well, and that only approximately 45 percent of the exam takers will get 136 or above on the florida portion.

While this is only a guess, because none of us knows how Florida scales the state portion or how Florida test takers compare to illinois test takers, the above analysis looks accurate if you compare the Florida Feb '15 pass rate to the percentile scores published by illinois for February 2015.

Bartaker7277

Postby Bartaker7277 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:55 pm

well that is awful. I find it hard to believe that a lot of states are going to have pass rates in the 40's when its usually in atleast the 60s! maybe thats just me hoping and wishing before results come out. Did you take florida?

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:09 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:well that is awful. I find it hard to believe that a lot of states are going to have pass rates in the 40's when its usually in atleast the 60s! maybe thats just me hoping and wishing before results come out. Did you take florida?

Yup. I passed a relatively easy bar many years ago with ease. Currently practicing in an area of law unrelated to any of the mbe topics or Florida tested topics. Waiting with bated breath!
Last edited by Tzhs on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Bartaker7277 wrote:well that is awful. I find it hard to believe that a lot of states are going to have pass rates in the 40's when its usually in atleast the 60s! maybe thats just me hoping and wishing before results come out. Did you take florida?

Pass rates will fall below 50 percent for any state when median scores are below the state cut rate. If median scores continue to decline, more states will have pass rates below 50 percent.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:21 pm

> http://i64.tinypic.com/mrctit.png

You can barely get a straight statistic out of Florida. Or an exact explanation of how the grading works. Talk about lawyers being awful well the worst of the worst are in charge of our profession - the Florida bar.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 pm

how did we do?

OSUDEVIL

Postby OSUDEVIL » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Passed the Bar. I took and passed NY/NJ in July, and this time, took Florida as my family lives in FL. This time worked full time and studied nights. I can note that a lot of classmates who failed in July (Florida) have passed this time around.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:08 pm

not guilty wrote:how did we do?

Passed both parts. Will post more after the score breakdowns arrive in the mail.

727law

Postby 727law » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:11 pm

not guilty wrote:how did we do?

Failed A, Passed B, Passed Overall.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:54 pm

It seems like they were generous on the curve for Part A.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:02 pm

not guilty wrote:It seems like they were generous on the curve for Part A.

Because of how Florida scales scores to the mbe, once the median score for the mbe was (approximately) 135, the median score for part a automatically became 135. If the essays had been super easy, there could have been a curve down to 135. Whether one did well on part a was a function of his or her score compared to all of the other takers of part a.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Tzhs wrote:
Because of how Florida scales scores to the mbe, once the median score for the mbe was (approximately) 135, the median score for part a automatically became 135. If the essays had been super easy, there could have been a curve down to 135. Whether one did well on part a was a function of his or her score compared to all of the other takers of part a.

Are you guessing this? Not to be argumentative, but I thought they revealed nothing.

Tzhs

Postby Tzhs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:38 pm

not guilty wrote:
Tzhs wrote:

Are you guessing this? Not to be argumentative, but I thought they revealed nothing.

Strongly guessing. The ncbe has been encouraging states to scale their state portion to the mbe. And if you look at the median scores published by IL, this would be consistent with the IL data (though I have no idea how illinois students compare to test takers nationwide). It would be interesting for someone to compute the number of people who passed part a and part b and see if the number is very close. I will post a link about how states scale their tests to the mbe.

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Tzhs wrote:
Strongly guessing. The ncbe has been encouraging states to scale their state portion to the mbe. And if you look at the median scores published by IL, this would be consistent with the IL data (though I have no idea how illinois students compare to test takers nationwide). It would be interesting for someone to compute the number of people who passed part a and part b and see if the number is very close. I will post a link about how states scale their tests to the mbe.

there is 2 pages of math a few pages back, take a look. The MBE is out of 190 and I think they scale Florida down to 190. I'm not sure about scaling after getting MBE scores. Possibly.

Either way, they say that Fla and MBE are an equal 50%.

starry24

Postby starry24 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I passed - hope you all got some good news today.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”