Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

starry24
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby starry24 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Good luck, guys! Fingers crossed for everyone.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:10 pm

In effort to help out people sitting for this awful exam in the future, maybe we could go general thoughts on essays and general thoughts on multiple choice, in addition to complaining about things specific to February 16'......


Essays:

the topics that were hit on were not in most people's top 5 or even top 10 - so be prepared for anything. The essay prompts seems to be easy. Subject spotting is easy. Issue spotting depends on if you were prepared. Ethical issues look to be in 2-3 essays now a days. Fact patterns tend to put you in a position to argue either way, which is good.

MC:

The questions did not seem terribly long. In my opinion it was the answer choices that give trouble. Obscure areas of a subject get hit on often. That "silly" little rule is exactly what they hit on. Crim Pro stayed heavy on trial related stuff, especially for serious felonies. Then you will get a question on when to give the State notice of an alibi. Civ Pro had a good chunk on depo's and service of process. Evidence was big on character and had some hearsay. Overall I would say all the sub-topics you expect to be on the bar will be there, just prepare for tricky answer choices which will test your reading comprehension as much as it will your knowledge of the law.


Specifically to 16'

I expect low bar essay scores and higher than normal mc, taking us to the normal curve. I don't see this as any different other than the average student bombing the commercial paper essay.

THE_U
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby THE_U » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:19 pm

That really sucks that you all had commercial paper. Heard they tested crim law again. What was the third subject?

ResIpsa305
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby ResIpsa305 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Jeez - was commercial paper actually the main subject on one of the essays? Or was it mainly contracts with a commercial paper issue?

Board of Bar Examiners are going crazy the past 2 exams.

727law
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby 727law » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 pm

.

SugareeNYDCFLA
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:03 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SugareeNYDCFLA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:21 am

.

SugareeNYDCFLA
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:03 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SugareeNYDCFLA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 am

I hated that commercial paper Q so much! And this morning I realized that I failed to actually write down "UCC Art. 9" anywhere in the damn essay. Fml.

RdenB8
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby RdenB8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: Interesting selection of crimes...
Last edited by RdenB8 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:14 am

With Criminal back with a vengeance, Federal con law now a fixture, and Commercial paper in the mix, do Prep courses need to be longer? It feels as if Florida Part A is now asking more from the students, so I assume our bar prep has to keep up.

RdenB8
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby RdenB8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:47 am

:o :shock: :o
Last edited by RdenB8 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:36 am

.
Last edited by not guilty on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

727law
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby 727law » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:02 pm

not guilty wrote:With Criminal back with a vengeance, Federal con law now a fixture, and Commercial paper in the mix, do Prep courses need to be longer? It feels as if Florida Part A is now asking more from the students, so I assume our bar prep has to keep up.


This is what really makes me angry. I could rant all day about how frustrated the Examiners have made me but I'll keep it short and sweet. I spend a fair amount of time studying Florida tested subjects and I don't really touch the MBE subjects for essay writing. That's mostly because the majority of rules are already dedicated to memory and I'm not as worried about them coming up. I have now written 6 essays for FL portion of the Bar exam. 2 Crim law/Pro 1 Fed Con, 1 Tort, 1 Contract, 1 Comm paper. The only FL specific that has come from those (besides a few little things to toss in) has been FRPC which was tested in 5 of the 6 essays. Comm paper isnt MBE but its also not FL specific. I just don't understand the point of giving us essays on all the National topics. They might as well test 200 FL MC because these essays in no way test any extensive knowledge of FL law, which I thought was the purpose of them. Anyway I predict that the same thing will happen to me as in July, crush the essays and bomb the MC and fail by a small margin.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:38 pm

RdenB8 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Interesting selection of crimes...

Despite editing all your posts, I hope you come back. I genuinely didn't understand your point. Apologies if I came off rude. I think we just defined Felony Murder Rule differently.

727law
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby 727law » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:25 pm

not guilty wrote:
727law wrote:
If that's Florida specific law then I dont know it. Theres two questions that turn on similar facts in Barbri MC. One: cop shoots co-d during a convenient store robbery, defendant not liable for Felony Murder. The other was Co-d dies, defendant had fled and his best defense was that the crime was over before co-d was shot. But regardless of the better answer, I think the most important thing in essays is to just put it down and argue/apply all the facts.

Barbri MBE questions or Fla? MBE would be useless. As for Fla, I think it would need to be an armed robbery maybe for that first question.

But yeah, it's a Florida specific law. May have been an incorrect answer for the exam though.


They were both MBE questions.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby sublime » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:02 pm

..

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 pm

727law wrote:
not guilty wrote:If Barbri was teaching students that D's can't go down for co-D's deaths by victims in Florida, and we literally had that situation on an essay exam, they need to take a long look in the mirror. They are reaching scam levels of business now.


No and I wasnt implying that. I applied the MBE rule because I didnt remember ever seeing a distinction.


I see. Yes, there is a rule on point I just don't know if it was applicable to our exam facts.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:54 pm

sublime wrote:Chill on the taking about specific topics tested. Only warning and next step is to lock the thread.

Are you sure essay topics aren't ok? They let us take our essay topics home. They post them online within a week too.

727law
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby 727law » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 pm

not guilty wrote:
sublime wrote:Chill on the taking about specific topics tested. Only warning and next step is to lock the thread.

Are you sure essay topics aren't ok? They let us take our essay topics home. They post them online within a week too.


I didn't think that the essay portion was against the rules to talk about because as mentioned, we are allowed to take our essay books home with us.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:29 pm

FloRida15 wrote:So, looking back at last 10 years, FL has not tested criminal law in any essay. I was basically ignoring the criminal law distinctions in FL. However, I was just reviewing an essay from the 2000 exam and question asked about a FL stalker statute and ability to bring criminal charges. How is everyone handling criminal law? Any possibility it will be tested??

Also, looked on ebay for BarBri books for FL multiple choice and can't find them any longer... any other suggestions on extra MC questions? Almost completed all the Themis questions and while I feel like I know most of the rules, I still do terribly on the questions as they pick out minute details that the notes/outlines/lectures do not cover and I assume we are to learn through questions. Thus, the more questions the better.
Thanks


^ This was posted before the July 15' exam. Criminal has been tested twice. Unreal.

Therealellewoods27
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Therealellewoods27 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Repeat taker here. Did anyone feel that the July exam was much more difficult? I'm overall very frustrated with this exam. I studied straight for 3 months and never in those 3 months did I expect to possibly risk failing by points due to the 3rd essay. It's even more disappointing when you have bar prep companies telling you "not to worry" about particular topics or to pay more attention to florida specific topics. Is it me or did anyone think this test was basically a huge slap in the face to people that took the July examination.......?

michaelklein
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Florida subjects outlines / distinctions

Postby michaelklein » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 am

Anyone make their own Florida outlines from Barbri? This would be a great help.

I took the CA bar and there are outlines (barexamdoctor.com) all over the internet for free that were made specifically from the Barbri lectures. Not so for Florida.

Thanks,
klein5968@gmail.com
Thanked in Jon Stewart's book

legal10101
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby legal10101 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Therealellewoods27 wrote:Repeat taker here. Did anyone feel that the July exam was much more difficult? I'm overall very frustrated with this exam. I studied straight for 3 months and never in those 3 months did I expect to possibly risk failing by points due to the 3rd essay. It's even more disappointing when you have bar prep companies telling you "not to worry" about particular topics or to pay more attention to florida specific topics. Is it me or did anyone think this test was basically a huge slap in the face to people that took the July examination.......?



I too took the July Florida......MBE easier this go around.... and yes the 3rd Q SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately went to the ethics portion and answered it.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Therealellewoods27 wrote:Repeat taker here. Did anyone feel that the July exam was much more difficult? I'm overall very frustrated with this exam. I studied straight for 3 months and never in those 3 months did I expect to possibly risk failing by points due to the 3rd essay. It's even more disappointing when you have bar prep companies telling you "not to worry" about particular topics or to pay more attention to florida specific topics. Is it me or did anyone think this test was basically a huge slap in the face to people that took the July examination.......?


February 2016 Florida is going to cause a change in Bar Prep. We were the sacrificial lambs and now Bar Prep will say be ready for all issues and account for that in their scheduling.

Juvenile Delinquency may have an entire essay in July 16' and Barbri isn't going to get off-guard.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida subjects outlines / distinctions

Postby not guilty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:11 pm

michaelklein wrote:Anyone make their own Florida outlines from Barbri? This would be a great help.

I took the CA bar and there are outlines (barexamdoctor.com) all over the internet for free that were made specifically from the Barbri lectures. Not so for Florida.

Thanks,
klein5968@gmail.com
Thanked in Jon Stewart's book

Celebration is a company that Florida people like.

not guilty
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:28 pm

727law wrote:
This is what really makes me angry. I could rant all day about how frustrated the Examiners have made me but I'll keep it short and sweet. I spend a fair amount of time studying Florida tested subjects and I don't really touch the MBE subjects for essay writing. That's mostly because the majority of rules are already dedicated to memory and I'm not as worried about them coming up. I have now written 6 essays for FL portion of the Bar exam. 2 Crim law/Pro 1 Fed Con, 1 Tort, 1 Contract, 1 Comm paper. The only FL specific that has come from those (besides a few little things to toss in) has been FRPC which was tested in 5 of the 6 essays. Comm paper isnt MBE but its also not FL specific. I just don't understand the point of giving us essays on all the National topics. They might as well test 200 FL MC because these essays in no way test any extensive knowledge of FL law, which I thought was the purpose of them. Anyway I predict that the same thing will happen to me as in July, crush the essays and bomb the MC and fail by a small margin.


welllll, I mean for July there was Fla Crim Law, Torts distinctions, and K distinctions to know. February had Fla Crim. But yes, if you look at all previous years you keep seeing Property, Contracts, FL Con, Trusts, Fam, Torts and now it looks like...

Fed Con, Criminal, Commercial Paper. I mean, Fed Con and Crim has been tested 4 times total in 3 exams.

wtf.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests