Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FloridaLawyer2B

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:16 pm

NY-Lawyer wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm admitted in NY so have gone through the C&F stuff there. Like you said, maybe that helps. The Florida Board sent a letter where they wanted a few minor things clarified, but that has been it. I would think it's gotta be close to wrapping up.

Even after I responded to some inquiries, I think it will still a month or two before I got my clearance letter. It'll come though.

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:49 am

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm admitted in NY so have gone through the C&F stuff there. Like you said, maybe that helps. The Florida Board sent a letter where they wanted a few minor things clarified, but that has been it. I would think it's gotta be close to wrapping up.

Even after I responded to some inquiries, I think it will still a month or two before I got my clearance letter. It'll come though.

I got the inquiries in early to mid-January. So, I would hope we are getting close at this point. Won't much matter if I don't pass the bar exam!

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 pm

NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:

I got the inquiries in early to mid-January. So, I would hope we are getting close at this point. Won't much matter if I don't pass the bar exam!

Yeah that's true. I guess we'll find out in a month or so whether we did or not.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Anyone else thinking that everything going on right now might affect the release of bar results? I have zero info just speculating.

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 am

johngotti wrote:Anyone else thinking that everything going on right now might affect the release of bar results? I have zero info just speculating.

I was just thinking about that and my thoughts brought me to log on to this forum to see if anyone had any info. I came across some article about the July bar possibly having issues but nothing has been confirmed or final, just comments on what could happen. So i dont know if our result date will be affected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 am

I don't think February's results will be delayed. The Board has only indicated their lobby is closed for the time being, but business as usual otherwise. July's exam appears to be going ahead as scheduled. I don't think the Board would make any determinations on something that major this far out. So much is changing even by the hour, its impossible to make that call right now.

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pm

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:

Yeah that's true. I guess we'll find out in a month or so whether we did or not.

So, I received a letter from the Board today saying that they are deferring making a decision on my application for now. They are requiring a 10-page brief from me. Has anyone else had this experience? Should I possibly be getting in contact with a Florida character & fitness attorney? It seems like they just want to ensure that I understand that I need to be a law abiding citizen and how important that is for trust. I would think if I write a nice brief on this, then maybe they will clear me.

ryan1888hls

New

Postby ryan1888hls » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:45 pm

That's interesting...anything in your background that would have raised a red flag?

NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:

So, I received a letter from the Board today saying that they are deferring making a decision on my application for now. They are requiring a 10-page brief from me. Has anyone else had this experience? Should I possibly be getting in contact with a Florida character & fitness attorney? It seems like they just want to ensure that I understand that I need to be a law abiding citizen and how important that is for trust. I would think if I write a nice brief on this, then maybe they will clear me.

That's interesting...

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:22 pm

ryan1888hls wrote:That's interesting...anything in your background that would have raised a red flag?

NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:

That's interesting...

Yeah, I had a legal issue from a couple years ago that I knew may present a delay. I was very candid and provided a long written account of what happened and provided all paperwork up front. I don't think it should ultimately prevent me from being cleared since I don't have any misdemeanor or felony convictions on my record and it didn't involve fraud or dishonesty (plus, other attorneys have done far worse and were then admitted or are still practicing). I just didn't know they would want me to write a brief. It's not a huge deal to complete, but I haven't seen it come up anywhere else and it isn't mentioned in their rules. They haven't requested an investigative hearing, or a formal hearing. So, I'm hoping that if I submit this brief to them, then they will be satisfied and clear me. I'm admitted and in good standing in New York already. Just a little nervous that they still aren't satisfied!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

[url][*][/url]
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:I don't think February's results will be delayed. The Board has only indicated their lobby is closed for the time being, but business as usual otherwise. July's exam appears to be going ahead as scheduled. I don't think the Board would make any determinations on something that major this far out. So much is changing even by the hour, its impossible to make that call right now.

I just read something that the decision whether to postpone the bar has to be made soon and some of the options the board is considering is letting 2020 grads have the “diploma privilege” like Wisconsin allows without taking a bar exam but able to practice law and an attorney in that state.
My question is, if this is actually implemented in every state for 2020 grads.. what happens to the retakers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:[url][*][/url]
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:I don't think February's results will be delayed. The Board has only indicated their lobby is closed for the time being, but business as usual otherwise. July's exam appears to be going ahead as scheduled. I don't think the Board would make any determinations on something that major this far out. So much is changing even by the hour, its impossible to make that call right now.

I just read something that the decision whether to postpone the bar has to be made soon and some of the options the board is considering is letting 2020 grads have the “diploma privilege” like Wisconsin allows without taking a bar exam but able to practice law and an attorney in that state.
My question is, if this is actually implemented in every state for 2020 grads.. what happens to the retakers?

It wouldn't apply to retakers and that article is pure speculation. UF Dean said she has talked to them and they will likely have an exam in July just in smaller testing rooms

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:12 pm

It would be a remarkable departure from longstanding policy if the Florida Bar allowed "diploma privilege". In fact, its so out in space, I would almost think that story was on The Onion.

If anything, I'd expect the Florida Bar to maintain the status quo. The market demand for lawyers in Florida may well drop, particularly if our economy takes a pasting like it did in 2008, and competition for existing positions (which is already tough), is likely to get even more challenging. Remember, one of the reasons Florida doesn't have reciprocity is to prevent everyone coming here and flooding the legal profession.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:It would be a remarkable departure from longstanding policy if the Florida Bar allowed "diploma privilege". In fact, its so out in space, I would almost think that story was on The Onion.

If anything, I'd expect the Florida Bar to maintain the status quo. The market demand for lawyers in Florida may well drop, particularly if our economy takes a pasting like it did in 2008, and competition for existing positions (which is already tough), is likely to get even more challenging. Remember, one of the reasons Florida doesn't have reciprocity is to prevent everyone coming here and flooding the legal profession.

While I agree it's extremely unlikely, nothing's impossible. New Jersey for decades held out against reciprocity, for a similar reason - to prevent the perceived threat of New York lawyers (many of whom commuted to NYC from NJ) flooding the NJ legal profession. Then, almost overnight, despite no significant shift in position from NJ lawyers, the NJ Supreme Court decided that protectionism wasn't a valid rationale, adopted the UBE and opened NJ up to reciprocity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Less than 2 weeks away, hope everyone is maintaining sanity and health. On the website they've still got April 13 as the release date, I'm sure it helps that February has like half as many takers as July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?