Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ujas02

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby ujas02 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Im having trouble studying past Family Law Essay Answers because they are usually coupled with juvenile delinquency and dependency (Which are no longer on test), how do I separate these subjects from each other when they are in a combined Essay Question?

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:55 pm

julzdolph21 wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:Is anyone spending a day or two in Tampa before or after the exam?

Even though I'm only sitting Wednesday, I'm still driving up on Monday to spend Monday night and Tuesday relaxing a little before game day. Staying at the Marriot this time around.

It may be helpful to take the day before to decompress and enjoy some R&R.....

Yup I'm going up Monday, but sitting for both sections. I'm stay at one Airbnb Monday through Wednesday then moving to another one right in Ybor Wed to Thur to go out Wednesday night with a friend coming over from Clearwater. So much cheaper staying at an Airbnb and paying $10 for an uber (my truck doesn't fit in the parking garage with the lift, not enough clearance, go figure).

That's the way to do it in my opinion. Good luck to you.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm

ujas02 wrote:Im having trouble studying past Family Law Essay Answers because they are usually coupled with juvenile delinquency and dependency (Which are no longer on test), how do I separate these subjects from each other when they are in a combined Essay Question?

Not sure what study materials you have but without Juv Delinquency and Dependency it's pretty common what they'll test for Family Law. You can look at past essays but it's basically divorce, equitable distribution, alimony, child support, marital property, etc type stuff and a lot involves factor tests. If we get a full Family Law essay then everyone should say a two second thank you to the bar examiner gods.

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Thanks John makes sense!

Good luck John and everyone else! Have a nice relaxing day tomorrow and do some lite review!!!

Im a crazy person and will be taking a practice test tomorrow..

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am

johngotti wrote:
ujas02 wrote:Im having trouble studying past Family Law Essay Answers because they are usually coupled with juvenile delinquency and dependency (Which are no longer on test), how do I separate these subjects from each other when they are in a combined Essay Question?

Not sure what study materials you have but without Juv Delinquency and Dependency it's pretty common what they'll test for Family Law. You can look at past essays but it's basically divorce, equitable distribution, alimony, child support, marital property, etc type stuff and a lot involves factor tests. If we get a full Family Law essay then everyone should say a two second thank you to the bar examiner gods.

I have a feeling it's going to be a family law, trusts, ethics. Everyone would love a full family law essay. Would be a complete softball haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawgirl813

New

Postby lawgirl813 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 am

JOchoa wrote:
johngotti wrote:

I have a feeling it's going to be a family law, trusts, ethics. Everyone would love a full family law essay. Would be a complete softball haha

We may be likely to see an Art3/Art9; Family Law/FL Con Law; Trusts/Ethics (or alternately Torts/Ethics) combo this cycle.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:19 pm

lawgirl813 wrote:
JOchoa wrote:
johngotti wrote:

We may be likely to see an Art3/Art9; Family Law/FL Con Law; Trusts/Ethics (or alternately Torts/Ethics) combo this cycle.

I know the bar companies have been saying homestead will come up eventually so that's another possibility. There's just so many options with Fl Con Law that you can't really pinpoint anything. From talking to others it seems like starting around ~2017 (when they dusted off Dependency for the first time in forever) they've really upped the essay difficulty to keep the pass rate stable and I hate hearing from people who took it years ago. Now that there's no Dependency or Juv Delinquency it feels like ST and Commercial Paper are the topics they use to really thin the herd.

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Any1 staying at embassy suites? Just drove 3 hours to get here. Now gonna take practice test hahahaa

bcpaintball26

New

Postby bcpaintball26 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 am

ujas02 wrote:Any1 staying at embassy suites? Just drove 3 hours to get here. Now gonna take practice test hahahaa

Live about 15 min away, but will be there as my school rents a conference room to store our stuff and lunch. I'm also planning to stay covered and use the embassy's covered walkway to the convention center. Weather doesn't look good both days

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:39 pm

Wills three times in a row on the mc, what the hell was up with that?

FL Con Law essay was brutal, Contracts and Torts weren't too terrible. I hope I survived and didn't give my cold to anyone else. Best of luck to those that still have to take the MBE, I'd prefer that any day over the Florida nonsense.

erin8424

New

Postby erin8424 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 pm

wills, why...

But essays where not bad at all. Although I wasn't exactly on top of tortious interference with contract and business expectations. Enough to spot, but not a whole lot of depth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 am

johngotti wrote:Wills three times in a row on the mc, what the hell was up with that?

FL Con Law essay was brutal, Contracts and Torts weren't too terrible. I hope I survived and didn't give my cold to anyone else. Best of luck to those that still have to take the MBE, I'd prefer that any day over the Florida nonsense.

I 100% agree with you!!!!! Whatever the HELL happened for Part A- was UNEXPECTED to say the least

Zacksmom

New

Postby Zacksmom » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Did anyone else at first glance think "wait, what...two back to back torts essays" before realizing that the first one is a contracts essay?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 pm

Zacksmom wrote:Did anyone else at first glance think "wait, what...two back to back torts essays" before realizing that the first one is a contracts essay?

It was weird having Torts covered on two different essays. Definitely had to address torts topics in the first essay. Not sure why that was the route they went with the essays when there are so many topics available for testing.

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:55 am

Came and did the MBE (Part B) only. Was pumped, full of energy, and dove into it, studying each question carefully and actually had some fun. Made the day fly right on by. A number of questions were pretty straightforward, some were like “???????” and others you had to work through and pay attention to the small details. All in all I feel like I owned the MBE. Hoping for a 136 or better come April...

erin8424

New

Postby erin8424 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:11 pm

NY-Lawyer wrote:
Zacksmom wrote:Did anyone else at first glance think "wait, what...two back to back torts essays" before realizing that the first one is a contracts essay?

It was weird having Torts covered on two different essays. Definitely had to address torts topics in the first essay. Not sure why that was the route they went with the essays when there are so many topics available for testing.

Yeah I think number one was primarily torts, other than the breach of contract/noncompete. And I agree with you on subjects. That was totally bizarre. So many other things they could have tested on.

What did everyone think of con law? For the first part, I literally went all-in with the kitchen sink: municipality authority (to pass ordinance, crim ordinances), vagueness/overbreath, equal protection, sub due process, procedural due process, etc.

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Day 1 was a doozy. Not the essays I was expecting at all, but I feel like I wrote enough to, hopefully, get at or be just above the average. Don’t even get me started on that multiple choice haha

Day 2 wasn’t terrible, the afternoon session definitely had a lot of questions that threw me for a loop. But, I gave it all I had.

But nonetheless, hoping I, along with you all, pass! Good luck to everyone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm

NY-Lawyer wrote:

Yeah, the first one wasn’t completely contracts. Some contractual aspects to it, but felt like an equal torts/contracts essay. Weird how they gave us three ethical issues in the second essay

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm

erin8424 wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:

Yeah I think number one was primarily torts, other than the breach of contract/noncompete. And I agree with you on subjects. That was totally bizarre. So many other things they could have tested on.

What did everyone think of con law? For the first part, I literally went all-in with the kitchen sink: municipality authority (to pass ordinance, crim ordinances), vagueness/overbreath, equal protection, sub due process, procedural due process, etc.

Yeah, agree on question 1. Question 2 had a lot of ethics issues to discuss and the torts aspect was not too bad. The Con Law question was the toughest one for me. Went through equal protection and discussed religious aspects too since fine money would go to the faith-based church. I actually didn't discuss proc. due process which I should have but didn't have time. I wasn't sure what was going on with the legal barriers he would face to becoming a commissioner. At least I could talk about ethics/professionalism in the con law one and get some points lol

The FL MC were absolutely ridiculous!

MBE is always a crapshoot after answering some of the easier ones.

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm

JOchoa wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:

Yeah, the first one wasn’t completely contracts. Some contractual aspects to it, but felt like an equal torts/contracts essay. Weird how they gave us three ethical issues in the second essay

Agree with you, definitely seemed like it was equally contract/torts. It seemed like they wanted Ethics to be a more substantial component to the second question. Not sure why, but the issues were easy so I'll take it lol

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm

For the MBE it seemed like we didnt have much of the areas that are highly tested. I was ready for hearsay exceptions and there wasnt many. Also felt like the crim questions were lacking in larceny, robbery, arson, etc. I knew those inside and out and we got maybe one or two questions? Con law wasnt loaded with equal protection or due process like the bar companies say it will be. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NY-Lawyer

New

Postby NY-Lawyer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:For the MBE it seemed like we didnt have much of the areas that are highly tested. I was ready for hearsay exceptions and there wasnt many. Also felt like the crim questions were lacking in larceny, robbery, arson, etc. I knew those inside and out and we got maybe one or two questions? Con law wasnt loaded with equal protection or due process like the bar companies say it will be. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me?

I felt like they asked a couple on larceny, but not much else on some of the other areas you mentioned. I remember the one about attempted arson, and one about solicitation and conspiracy. Con law was definitely some interesting questions. Not quite what I expected. I took and passed the NY bar in 2016, and I feel like the MBE questions were different then. Perhaps it's just my memory failing lol

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:46 pm

[/quote]
NY-Lawyer wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:For the MBE it seemed like we didnt have much of the areas that are highly tested. I was ready for hearsay exceptions and there wasnt many. Also felt like the crim questions were lacking in larceny, robbery, arson, etc. I knew those inside and out and we got maybe one or two questions? Con law wasnt loaded with equal protection or due process like the bar companies say it will be. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me?

I felt like they asked a couple on larceny, but not much else on some of the other areas you mentioned. I remember the one about attempted arson, and one about solicitation and conspiracy. Con law was definitely some interesting questions. Not quite what I expected. I took and passed the NY bar in 2016, and I feel like the MBE questions were different then. Perhaps it's just my memory failing lol

I agree with you, the questions were different from years ago a from what I have see from practice questions and adaptibar. The MBE is changing and they arent releasing anything new to help us!

I pray there is a good curve that test def threw me off a bit.

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:
NY-Lawyer wrote:

I agree with you, the questions were different from years ago a from what I have see from practice questions and adaptibar. The MBE is changing and they arent releasing anything new to help us!

I pray there is a good curve that test def threw me off a bit.[/quote]

The highly tested were definitely there. I think they just hid them well behind summary judgment and directed verdict questions. Con Law was full of first amendment in my opinion.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reference to specific exam question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:35 pm

I noticed this to a degree as well. It seemed a little easier than July's administration, where I felt the MBE questions were pretty hard. But, I used a company this time around that exclusively relied on all released MBE questions since the Earth cooled. Interestingly, I noticed the exact same questions from my MBE prep course on this exam, just with different names, locations, and what not. But the same questions. I chuckled a little when I ran across those because I was like, "hey, I did this one! I know what the answer is going to be," and sure enough....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?