Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 am

Does anyone know how COLD or HOT the testing site gets? Anyone ever been to the Tampa Convention Center before and do you know if they Crank up the A/C?

Don’t know if I should wear something light b/c it’s Florida or wear layers in case it’s freezing from the A/C? :?

I’m from out of state - never been to the test site before and I need some help for packing purposes. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 am

erin8424 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yes, they’re all repeated. I don’t think they release them often because they actually recycle/ re-use them, I think? I hope!

Anyone else FREAKING out about the FLORIDA Day- Multiple Choice questions?? Business Entities is kicking my ass!!! :roll:

Same! Doing Themis and the MCQs are killing me - particularly with procedure. I feel really confident with the material, but I am doing so poorly on the practice question. I'm wondering if it's a Themis drafting issue, or if I'm just screwed.

Anyone have any tips for the multiple choice? Would really be appreciated!

I agree that some (probably like half) of these Kaplan Questions are also very poorly drafted, so it’s like you end up knowing the rule and what the outcome is, but somehow you still get it wrong. Very frustrating!!

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:44 am

ujas02 wrote:Can they deduct points from your essay if you say things that are not accurate or not the law? Or do they only award you points for positive remarks?

From what I understand, no. They apparently grade you 0 or 5 points per whatever rule or analysis or conclusion. But I've never heard anyone say they deduct, you just won't get points for your score.

erin8424

New

Postby erin8424 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 am

JOchoa wrote:
ujas02 wrote:Can they deduct points from your essay if you say things that are not accurate or not the law? Or do they only award you points for positive remarks?

From what I understand, no. They apparently grade you 0 or 5 points per whatever rule or analysis or conclusion. But I've never heard anyone say they deduct, you just won't get points for your score.

Good news - they do not deduct!

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how COLD or HOT the testing site gets? Anyone ever been to the Tampa Convention Center before and do you know if they Crank up the A/C?

Don’t know if I should wear something light b/c it’s Florida or wear layers in case it’s freezing from the A/C? :?

I’m from out of state - never been to the test site before and I need some help for packing purposes. Thanks!

I'd suggest bringing a jacket it was a little chilly in the room last time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
erin8424 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yes, they’re all repeated. I don’t think they release them often because they actually recycle/ re-use them, I think? I hope!

Anyone else FREAKING out about the FLORIDA Day- Multiple Choice questions?? Business Entities is kicking my ass!!! :roll:

Same! Doing Themis and the MCQs are killing me - particularly with procedure. I feel really confident with the material, but I am doing so poorly on the practice question. I'm wondering if it's a Themis drafting issue, or if I'm just screwed.

Anyone have any tips for the multiple choice? Would really be appreciated!

I agree that some (probably like half) of these Kaplan Questions are also very poorly drafted, so it’s like you end up knowing the rule and what the outcome is, but somehow you still get it wrong. Very frustrating!!

I've actually found Kaplan's questions to be the best questions I've ever done. I did Themis my first time around and did not feel prepared for the Florida MCQ section. Kaplan having around 1,500 questions has made me feel a lot more confident for it. Business Entities is still a killer subject, but I feel much better with Procedure.

The_CW

New

Postby The_CW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how COLD or HOT the testing site gets? Anyone ever been to the Tampa Convention Center before and do you know if they Crank up the A/C?

It's usually frigid but you can't wear a hoodie so keep that in mind.

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm

For Fl Bar Part A:

Why should we assume that a topic is more likely to be on the exam if it hasn't been on the most recent exams?

And also why should we assume a topic is less likely to be on the exam if it has been on the most recent exams?

How many times in the last few years have they used the same topic on back-to-back exams? Is it more common than not?

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I Just made this list, maybe it will help you too.

Note: I removed Juvenile Delinquency/Dependency whenever it appeared.
Also, I compiled this list when I was tired but I'm quite certain its accurate, but you should always double check yourself..
https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c006546a5

Past Bar Exam Topics
July 2019 - FL Con(Passing BIll)/Profess/Ethics, Property, Crim Law/Proced/Fed Con Law
Feb 2019 - Trusts/UCC Art 3/9 + Professionalism, Family Law, Fed Con Law, Torts/Ethics

July 2018- Contract/Ethics/Profess, Fam Law, Fed Con Law
Feb 2018 - Crim Law/Proced, FL Con Law, Real Prop/Art 3/9/Evidence

July 2017 - Fam Law, Fl Con Law/Profess, Art 3/9 UCC
Feb 2017 - FL Con Law, Prop/Ethics, Trusts/Fam Law

July 2016 - Contracts, Fed Con Law, Torts Ethics
Feb 2016 - Crim Law/Proced, Fed Con Law, UCC Art 3/9/Professionalism

July 2015 - Contracts/Ethics, Crim Law/Proced/Ethics, Torts/Ethics
Feb 2015 - Fam Law, Fed Con law/Torts/Ethics, Property

July 2014 - Contracts/UCC Art 3/9/Ethics, Torts/Contracts/Ethics, Trusts
Feb 2014 - Fam Law, FL Con Law, Prop/Fl Con Law/Ethics,

July 2013 - Contracts/UCC Art 9, FL Con Law/Ethics, Trusts/Ethics
Feb 2013 - Contracts, Fam Law/FL Con Law, Torts

July 2012 - Contracts/Ethics/Fl Con Law, FL Con Law/Property, Trusts
Feb 2012 - FL Con Law, Prop/Torts/Ethics, Torts

July 2011 - Contracts/Prop, Fam Law/Ethics, Torts/Ethics
Feb 2011 - FL Con Law, Prop/Fam law, Trusts/Ethics

July 2010 - FL Con Law, Prop, Trusts
Feb 2010 - Fam Law/FL Con Law, Prop/Fam Law, Torts

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:49 am

All I can say is thank God I'm only sitting for the MBE this time.

I've barely had time between work and everything else to prepare for that, let alone somehow having to gear up for the Florida portion again (which don't get me wrong, the MBE isn't a cakewalk, but the Florida portion is like being in a North Korean torture facility for an entire day). '

Just aiming to clear 136 on my MBE score and I'll be happy.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, wonderful timing.

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:41 pm

johngotti wrote:Woke up this morning with a sore throat, wonderful timing.

Damn Poor guy, feel better.

Last year when I took the NY bar, my flight was cancelled last minute while I was on the plane on the runway and I had to rent a car and drive 6 hours thru a dangerous snowstorm to get to my test, and this was on the day before the test.

Also to revive this topic:
For Fl Bar Part A:

Why should we assume that a topic is more likely to be on the exam if it hasn't been on the most recent exams?

And also why should we assume a topic is less likely to be on the exam if it has been on the most recent exams?

How many times in the last few years have they used the same topic on back-to-back exams? Is it more common than not?

bcpaintball26

New

Postby bcpaintball26 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 pm

They test the Conlaws back to back all the time, but the other subjects aren't tested back to back as frequently. If it is tested back to back tests they will usually test different subtopics. So let's say they tested Intentional torts in Feb, they may test Strict liability and negligence in July.

This isn't set in stone, but just trends that have been picked up. Test takers are always wanting to know where to spend more of their study time and if 2 of 3 are predicted topics that they know well, it tends to help pass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ujas02

New

Postby ujas02 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm

bcpaintball26 wrote:They test the Conlaws back to back all the time, but the other subjects aren't tested back to back as frequently. If it is tested back to back tests they will usually test different subtopics. So let's say they tested Intentional torts in Feb, they may test Strict liability and negligence in July.

This isn't set in stone, but just trends that have been picked up. Test takers are always wanting to know where to spend more of their study time and if 2 of 3 are predicted topics that they know well, it tends to help pass.

very helpful thank you

Lglegl04

New

Postby Lglegl04 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:15 pm

I’m feeling pretty good about MCQ but am freaking out a little over essays. Trying to figure out what may be the topics, etc. Anyone else or just me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 pm

bcpaintball26 wrote:They test the Conlaws back to back all the time, but the other subjects aren't tested back to back as frequently. If it is tested back to back tests they will usually test different subtopics. So let's say they tested Intentional torts in Feb, they may test Strict liability and negligence in July.

What are your predictions for the essays this time around?

Or does anyone have any?

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Lglegl04 wrote:I’m feeling pretty good about MCQ but am freaking out a little over essays. Trying to figure out what may be the topics, etc. Anyone else or just me?

Me, too. I feel more confident about my MCQ but not confident enough for it to pull more weight than the essays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bcpaintball26

New

Postby bcpaintball26 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 pm

JOchoa wrote:
Lglegl04 wrote:I’m feeling pretty good about MCQ but am freaking out a little over essays. Trying to figure out what may be the topics, etc. Anyone else or just me?

Me, too. I feel more confident about my MCQ but not confident enough for it to pull more weight than the essays.

So personally I've been thinking since day 1 of bar prep:
Essay 1: Contacts/UCC3/UCC9
Essay 2: Fed or FL Con Law
Essay 3: Family Law (with maybe a little trust)
The trusts aspects came about after they removed Dependancy and Deliquency.

I've saw that the Ford Method predicted
Essay 1 : Contracts/UCC9
Essay 2: Fed/FL Con law
Essay 3: Torts ( Strict liability/Premises Liability)

I'm not focusing on Property/Crim law nearly as much

FloridaLawyer2B

New

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:21 am

Is anyone spending a day or two in Tampa before or after the exam?

Even though I'm only sitting Wednesday, I'm still driving up on Monday to spend Monday night and Tuesday relaxing a little before game day. Staying at the Marriot this time around.

It may be helpful to take the day before to decompress and enjoy some R&R.....

erin8424

New

Postby erin8424 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 am

bcpaintball26 wrote:
JOchoa wrote:

I agree with your predictions - and those have been mine since the start. I think there is a decent chance that they test Fed Con Law and FL Con Law together. Or maybe FL Con Law w/Family Law. There are a decent number of previous essays that feature both combos.

And for multiple choice, is everyone thinking it will be Evidence and Biz Orgs?

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:42 am

bcpaintball26 wrote:
JOchoa wrote:

In the same boat as you. Didn’t really touch crim law this time around.

I feel okay about strict products liability; it’s time consuming to write, but not difficult to spot. Fed/Fl con law terrifies me. So much they could test on, although they just did first amendment in July. Family law would be nice, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JOchoa

New

Postby JOchoa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:45 am

erin8424 wrote:
bcpaintball26 wrote:
JOchoa wrote:

I agree with your predictions - and those have been mine since the start. I think there is a decent chance that they test Fed Con Law and FL Con Law together. Or maybe FL Con Law w/Family Law. There are a decent number of previous essays that feature both combos.

Business entities seems to be the general consensus. They’ve never tested Wills back to back, and it’s been two years since they tested it. It would be wild if they gave us what they did in February last year by giving us procedure, wills, and Business entities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:33 pm

JOchoa wrote:
erin8424 wrote:
bcpaintball26 wrote:
JOchoa wrote:

Business entities seems to be the general consensus. They’ve never tested Wills back to back, and it’s been two years since they tested it. It would be wild if they gave us what they did in February last year by giving us procedure, wills, and Business entities.

Do you mean back to back to back? Because they tested wills in July 2019 and February 2019

bcpaintball26

New

Postby bcpaintball26 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Wills was just tested B2B in Feb and July 2019. Only once in the last 10 administrations was a subject tested 3 times in a row(evidence July15,Feb16,July16). The subject left off the admin before has always appeared on the next exam.

There seems to be a pattern which leaves us with BE and Evidence for Feb 2020. I'm also scoring almost perfect in wills, so if things get switched around I'm not at a disadvantage.

julzdolph21

New

Postby julzdolph21 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:25 pm

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:Is anyone spending a day or two in Tampa before or after the exam?

Even though I'm only sitting Wednesday, I'm still driving up on Monday to spend Monday night and Tuesday relaxing a little before game day. Staying at the Marriot this time around.

It may be helpful to take the day before to decompress and enjoy some R&R.....

Yup I'm going up Monday, but sitting for both sections. I'm stay at one Airbnb Monday through Wednesday then moving to another one right in Ybor Wed to Thur to go out Wednesday night with a friend coming over from Clearwater. So much cheaper staying at an Airbnb and paying $10 for an uber (my truck doesn't fit in the parking garage with the lift, not enough clearance, go figure).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?