Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
johngotti

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Posted in the buy sell trade forum but looking to sell my Critical Pass cards (in really good shape from July) and Emanuel Strategies and Tactics. PM me if you're interested.

JDlaw17

New

Postby JDlaw17 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I passed the UBE in February 2019. Could someone confirm something for me?

I'm planning on taking the February 2020 Florida Bar Exam...

(1) Am I right that I can (now) transfer my MBE (146.1)? If so, what day is the Florida section (their essays & multiple choice)?
(2) What is the best way to study for the Florida section? (i.e. materials, etc.)

Thanks!

Derek Vinyard

New

Postby Derek Vinyard » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:53 am

JDlaw17 wrote:I passed the UBE in February 2019. Could someone confirm something for me?

I'm planning on taking the February 2020 Florida Bar Exam...

(1) Am I right that I can (now) transfer my MBE (146.1)? If so, what day is the Florida section (their essays & multiple choice)?
(2) What is the best way to study for the Florida section? (i.e. materials, etc.)

Thanks!

This is what I am trying to figure out, only the opposite. I do know that yes, your mbe will transfer to Florida. However, can your transferred score of 146.1 still be combined with your florida essay score? Conversely, if you transfer a MBE score earned in Florida to one of the UBE states that lets you do this, can your 150 MBE score be combined with the MPT and MEE to calculate your overall score? If so, that would be a cakewalk. You could log into the stupid program, type up a couple of garbage essays, and pass the bar overall with a 117 essay score. That is like a 30th percentile score at most. Pretty easy to do with almost no preparation. I am assuming your MBE score does not count towards the total and you have to earn a passing score on the individual exam. Am I right?

Lawstudent312

New

Postby Lawstudent312 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Is it easier to pass by taking the full default florida bar or by transferring your mbe score ?

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:01 pm

You can transfer your MBE score to Florida but you have to get a 136 on the Florida portion. The Florida portion is on the Tuesday before the MBE.

If you take the MBE and Florida together then you could use one to balance out the other (ie get a 140 MBE and 134 Florida you pass). If you have the time and confidence to do the MBE again then you're better off just taking both parts.

andersonn22

New

Postby andersonn22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 am

However, can your transferred score of 146.1 still be combined with your florida essay score? Conversely, if you transfer a MBE score earned in Florida to one of the UBE states that lets you do this, can your 150 MBE score be combined with the MPT and MEE to calculate your overall score? If so, that would be a cakewalk. You could log into the stupid program, type up a couple of garbage essays, and pass the bar overall with a 117 essay score.

It's actually a valid point.

JDlaw17

New

Postby JDlaw17 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:30 pm

andersonn22 wrote:
However, can your transferred score of 146.1 still be combined with your florida essay score? Conversely, if you transfer a MBE score earned in Florida to one of the UBE states that lets you do this, can your 150 MBE score be combined with the MPT and MEE to calculate your overall score? If so, that would be a cakewalk. You could log into the stupid program, type up a couple of garbage essays, and pass the bar overall with a 117 essay score.

It's actually a valid point.

I found out the following: if you transfer your MBE, then you must make a 136 on the Florida section. You cannot average the transferred MBE with the Florida section. In my case, I'll be transferring a 146.1, but it won't be average with the other part. I must still make a 136 on the FL essays/multiple choice.

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am

Is anyone here taking the MBE for the 4th time? I feel so lost and hopeless.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:Is anyone here taking the MBE for the 4th time? I feel so lost and hopeless.

4th time taking the bar but only the FL section on Tuesday. Getting ready to start studying.

I've got PMBR books and an Emmanuel S and T book if you want them for pretty cheap.

ELerner

New

Taking the oath

Postby ELerner » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Took the exam in July, and finally, today, got my letter from the Supreme Court advising that the Board recommended my admission. After the grueling investigation process, I feel I should also get top secret, NSA-level security clearance.

I'm bummed out that I missed the October induction ceremony. No big deal for me, but my wife wanted the pomp and circumstance. Silly question: Are circuit court judges open to being approached to privately administering the oath?

Also, once the oath is administered, either by a judge or by signing in front of a notary, am I correct that it's not "effective" until you file it with the Board and then receive your certificate of admission?

Thanks.

Lglegl04

New

Postby Lglegl04 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:20 pm

I am a practicing attorney in Texas so I will be working full time while studying for the Florida Bar. What is the best online bar prep to take? Kaplan and Themis seem to stand out in my searches. T

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:46 am

Lglegl04 wrote:I am a practicing attorney in Texas so I will be working full time while studying for the Florida Bar. What is the best online bar prep to take? Kaplan and Themis seem to stand out in my searches. T

I was in the same boat... also a practicing TEXAS attorney who prepped and took the July 19 Florida exam. My MBE score was too old to transfer. So I took the full test. MBE & Florida portion.

I bought a full set of barbri books off eBay and used those to study for Florida. I used ebay barbri books for Texas and eBay barbri books for another state I took right after law school. I had to take the full test in all these jurisdictions and I passed all 3.

So that eBay barbri book system worked for me and I’d recommend it to others.

I also bought an account on this site. It’s cheap and has a lot of good clear data on frequency that subjects are tested, which is a nice reference to have, among other things.

What did you use to study for Texas? If it worked for you I would consider using the Florida versions.

Anonymous User

Re: Taking the oath

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am

ELerner wrote:Took the exam in July, and finally, today, got my letter from the Supreme Court advising that the Board recommended my admission. After the grueling investigation process, I feel I should also get top secret, NSA-level security clearance.

I'm bummed out that I missed the October induction ceremony. No big deal for me, but my wife wanted the pomp and circumstance. Silly question: Are circuit court judges open to being approached to privately administering the oath?

Also, once the oath is administered, either by a judge or by signing in front of a notary, am I correct that it's not "effective" until you file it with the Board and then receive your certificate of admission?

Thanks.

What issues slowed down your character and fitness?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?