Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JustPass

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby JustPass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:51 am

Don’t ever give up! I took the exam 5 times. I failed the first 3 times. The 3rd time, I used a tutor and failed miserably. Then, the 4th attempt, I passed part B only. This time I passed both parts. I have gone through every type of study aid and lessons. I can tell you what works and what doesn’t work. I wish I had someone tell me this before I began studying and spending tons of money on study materials. The difference this time was because: I did 2000 questions from Adaptibar and stopped after each question and check the reason I got it right or wrong. For the Florida essays, I used the essays and answers from the Board of Bar Examiners website and the Florida Essay book from Celebration. Just the book and not the course. I also got the celebration Florida MC book. Also, without the course. While working full time doing doc review. Anyone on this site is more than welcome to pick my brain.

Jmart082

Bronze

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:00 pm

JustPass wrote:Don’t ever give up! I took the exam 5 times. I failed the first 3 times. The 3rd time, I used a tutor and failed miserably. Then, the 4th attempt, I passed part B only. This time I passed both parts. I have gone through every type of study aid and lessons. I can tell you what works and what doesn’t work. I wish I had someone tell me this before I began studying and spending tons of money on study materials. The difference this time was because: I did 2000 questions from Adaptibar and stopped after each question and check the reason I got it right or wrong. For the Florida essays, I used the essays and answers from the Board of Bar Examiners website and the Florida Essay book from Celebration. Just the book and not the course. I also got the celebration Florida MC book. Also, without the course. While working full time doing doc review. Anyone on this site is more than welcome to pick my brain.

In complete agreement. I'm fairly certain that I'm only one of a handful of people at either law school that I went to who failed any bar exam, period. It doesn't feel good, but at the same time, it feels amazing once you overcome that hurdle.

Common stock

New

Postby Common stock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:45 pm

I passed! I missed passing on Feb. by half a point. Yes. You read that right. Half a point. I had a passing MBE score in Feb. I passed Fl this time and am eligible for swearing in.

I studied on my own. I bought a set of Barbri books and a set of Kaplan books from eBay. And really just memorized FL. I didn’t do practice essays. I am already licensed in another state. I am so happy this is over!!!

I probably passed by half a point this time. ;)

Allegedly88

New

Postby Allegedly88 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm

JustPass wrote:Don’t ever give up! I took the exam 5 times. I failed the first 3 times. The 3rd time, I used a tutor and failed miserably. Then, the 4th attempt, I passed part B only. This time I passed both parts. I have gone through every type of study aid and lessons. I can tell you what works and what doesn’t work. I wish I had someone tell me this before I began studying and spending tons of money on study materials. The difference this time was because: I did 2000 questions from Adaptibar and stopped after each question and check the reason I got it right or wrong. For the Florida essays, I used the essays and answers from the Board of Bar Examiners website and the Florida Essay book from Celebration. Just the book and not the course. I also got the celebration Florida MC book. Also, without the course. While working full time doing doc review. Anyone on this site is more than welcome to pick my brain.

5 times!? Wow congrats on passing! You must feel so good!
Everyone seems to like adipabar but they only offer questions on the computer which i struggle reading from a screen - i get lost in the questions and since the bar is on paper i get thrown off. I am one of those paper people.
Do you think i should try it again? I tried it in july 2018 but i didnt use it much bc of the computer issue.
What else did you do differently for mbe? These questions felt so foreign. Did you feel like that this past july exam or did you really feel more confident than the other times you took it bc of adaptbar?

kinseyjo

New

Postby kinseyjo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Hooyah wrote:Congrats J Mart on passing! And congrats to everyone else who passed. :)

I'll be taking the Florida part (re-taking) in February...good times lol.

If I could take and pass only part a, anyone can. I still can't believe I pulled it off. Eager to get my scores but 3rd time appears to be a charm for me!

JustPass

New

Postby JustPass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:

5 times!? Wow congrats on passing! You must feel so good!
Everyone seems to like adipabar but they only offer questions on the computer which i struggle reading from a screen - i get lost in the questions and since the bar is on paper i get thrown off. I am one of those paper people.
Do you think i should try it again? I tried it in july 2018 but i didnt use it much bc of the computer issue.
What else did you do differently for mbe? These questions felt so foreign. Did you feel like that this past july exam or did you really feel more confident than the other times you took it bc of adaptbar?

I used Adaptibar for the first time and that is what helped me pass the MBE. I also am a book person and not a computer person. I am 45 years old, so I am used to using pen and paper. But, after doing 2000 in Adaptibar and reading the explanations, it didn’t affect me in the test while in paper. I agree, the MBE questions were a little different then Adaptibar, but similar enough to remove the wrong answer choices. I could definitely tell you, that I wouldn’t have past the second day if I didn’t do 2k questions from Adaptibar. I know this because, I wouldn’t even com close to removing the wrong ones without it. I am not a sales person for anyone, but I don’t want anyone to waist time and find out like I did, years later that I should have used it. My mistake and thousands of dollars later for app and test fees. I also have some other good ideas that may help you, because maybe you are having timing issues, causing you to rush and lose train of thought. It happens. There are solutions for that as well. It’s also very stressful to sit and see all these people typing and writing. That alone is distracting and full of pressure. There are solutions for that as well. Please let me know if that helps and if you want to discuss those things, by all means, please let me know. I want to help everyone that hasn’t passed yet, because I know what it is like to stay nervous for months and then get bad news, while trying to continue my day at work and other things. I experienced that 4 times before I passed both parts yesterday. Please reach out to me and that is for everyone! I know that feeling and you can’t explain it to anyone, because they don’t understand. And it sucks when people around you ask you about it. It’s very frustrating and annoying. And nothing anyone will say, will make you feel better. But, DO NOT GIVE UP! You spent all this money and time in law school and don’t let one test every 7 months stop you from becoming a successful attorney. It’s like running a marathon and stopping night before the finish line. I know, no one wants to hear this, as I wouldn’t either if I failed. But, if anyone wants to talk about it, I am more then happy, because I wish I had someone to talk to about it after failing 4 times. I used to call it my semi annual Tampa vacation, until yesterday.

Jmart082

Bronze

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:12 pm

kinseyjo wrote:
Hooyah wrote:Congrats J Mart on passing! And congrats to everyone else who passed. :)

I'll be taking the Florida part (re-taking) in February...good times lol.

If I could take and pass only part a, anyone can. I still can't believe I pulled it off. Eager to get my scores but 3rd time appears to be a charm for me!

YEHHHHHH, WAY TO GO, KINSEYJO!!!

yennem

New

Postby yennem » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Allegedly88 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:I failed the MBE for a third time. I want to give up this is too much commotion and devastation.

Really sorry to hear, keep your head up.

For anyone who's having trouble with the mbe I'd highly suggest the adaptibar lectures with Jon Grossman, infinitely better and less time consuming than the big commercial bar prep companies.

I used those lectures and still failed. I might just give this up i dont know if its worth the stress. Its slowly killing me.

Grossman didnt work for me either... I ended up requesting 8 weeks off of work and making the bar exam my only goal. I enrolled in Themis (as a retaker) and did 100% completion and passed last Feb.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 pm

No results in the mail today in Tampa, hopefully tomorrow. Anyone get them today?

yennem

New

Postby yennem » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

johngotti wrote:No results in the mail today in Tampa, hopefully tomorrow. Anyone get them today?

Generally arrives on Wednesday in Tampa.

Flalwyer

New

Postby Flalwyer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:31 pm

johngotti wrote:No results in the mail today in Tampa, hopefully tomorrow. Anyone get them today?

No results in Gainesville today.

pantherlaw24

New

Postby pantherlaw24 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm

arrived today in Tallahassee (lol) but all i see are the top line Part A/Part B scores...when or where do we get a breakdown by essay?

katrinax0x17

New

Postby katrinax0x17 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Can you message me? I failed this exam. I only had to take Part A because I transferred my Part B score from NY. I’m a licensed attorney for two years and I had to work full time and study. I’m debating retaking but I need to take the entire bar :(

legally_sound

New

Postby legally_sound » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:49 am

Congratulations! I would love to hear any strategies and pick your brain about the MBE. Keep telling your story, it gives people hope of passing this dreadful exam.

ELerner

New

Postby ELerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:54 am

SRQ here. My USPS Informed Delivery, which emails me in the morning and shows me images of the envelopes being delivered later today, shows something from the Board of Bar Examiners. Hopefully it's the bar results and not another "Hey, we decided we want more information about X in connection with your fitness and character review." :?

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:01 am

pantherlaw24 wrote:

arrived today in Tallahassee (lol) but all i see are the top line Part A/Part B scores...when or where do we get a breakdown by essay?

Did you pass? I think they only give you a detailed breakdown of your scores on each Part A section if you failed.

ELerner

New

Postby ELerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am

johngotti wrote:
Did you pass? I think they only give you a detailed breakdown of your scores on each Part A section if you failed.

I failed Part A, passed Part B, passed Overall. So will I see a score on each of the 3 essays? Or just an overall essay score?

JustPass

New

Postby JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:51 am

katrinax0x17 wrote:

Can you message me? I failed this exam. I only had to take Part A because I transferred my Part B score from NY. I’m a licensed attorney for two years and I had to work full time and study. I’m debating retaking but I need to take the entire bar :(

Yes. I suggest taking both sections, even if you passed. I took part A only on my 4th attempt and failed by 3 points. However, based on my practice MBE with Adaptibar, I would have passed it overall. This is why I took both sides on my 5th attempt and passed both sides this time. If you register for both days, and you don’t want to take the second day, you can leave after the first day, but if you only register for the first day( Florida portion) then you can’t take the MBE the second day. The fee is the same. I am not sure how to IM on this site, so if anyone has a personal question, please send me a message.

Tony48

New

Postby Tony48 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:05 am

Congrats to those who passed!

ELerner wrote:
johngotti wrote:

I failed Part A, passed Part B, passed Overall. So will I see a score on each of the 3 essays? Or just an overall essay score?

I didn't get ANYTHING regarding my essays (passed two years ago)

JustPass

New

Postby JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

Good morning. I am trying to PM a few people that asked me some real good questions. For some reason, I am unable to use that feature. Can anyone tell me how to use it, so I can respond. I really appreciate any assistance. Or send me an PM with your email and I can respond that way as well. Thanks.

JustPass

New

Postby JustPass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

Hi KATRINAX0X17,

I am not sure how to PM on this site. Please PM me with your email address, since I am having tech difficulties.
Anyway, I suggest taking both parts again versus only one part. First, when you take one part of the exam, you MUST obtain a minimum score of a 136. I tried that on my 4th attempt and failed with a 133. So, on this 5th attempt, I took both sides and passed on both sides. So the benefit of both sides is: you can average the scores together to reach a 136, so you can fail one side and still pass overall. So, please register for both days because you can always leave after the first day. However, if you only register for the first dayband things do not go right, you wouldn’t be able to sit for the second day and hope you did much better to pass overall. The fee is the same, except for an extra day in a hotel room. What’s another day, to save the worry and anxiety and give yourself another chance after day one. Also, I spent most of my time on the MBE practice and left the Florida portion for the last 3 weeks. I did that because I took part A a few times and spent most of my time on part A, but still failed by 3 points. Go figure, this time I sat for both days and passed on day 1 and 2. That’s my luck! Please keep asking questions. I know that feeling of frustration, despair, and depression. But never give up, because as a lawyer, you wouldn’t just pack up your briefcase and say,” well we lost, let’s go home.” So, I feel this is the same train of thought. Pretend that the Bar exam is a court proceeding and you are fighting zealously for your client (you) to make the court rule in your favor and pass you in the next attempt.

New

Postby 0134580 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:26 pm

ELerner wrote:

SRQ here. My USPS Informed Delivery, which emails me in the morning and shows me images of the envelopes being delivered later today, shows something from the Board of Bar Examiners. Hopefully it's the bar results and not another "Hey, we decided we want more information about X in connection with your fitness and character review." :?

OMG! Mood! i applied 2 years ago and they continue to ask me for, and about bullshit. They ALWAYS have an additional question about the same bullshit. Why didnt i pay my credit card bills on time while in law school? Because i wasnt fucking working and i didnt have any fucking money!! Sorry for being a fckn poor student?! ok, end rant :roll:

ELerner

New

Postby ELerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm

0134580 wrote:
OMG! Mood! i applied 2 years ago and they continue to ask me for, and about bullshit. They ALWAYS have an additional question about the same bullshit. Why didnt i pay my credit card bills on time while in law school? Because i wasnt fucking working and i didnt have any fucking money!! Sorry for being a fckn poor student?! ok, end rant :roll:

I hear you!

ELerner

New

Postby ELerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Just got the mail. Part A - 134 (Fail), Part B - 148 (Pass), Overall - 141 (Pass).

The Part A score is reported as a single number. No info broken out as to essays vs. MCQs.

katrinax0x17

New

Postby katrinax0x17 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm

JustPass wrote:Hi KATRINAX0X17,

I am not sure how to PM on this site. Please PM me with your email address, since I am having tech difficulties.
Anyway, I suggest taking both parts again versus only one part. First, when you take one part of the exam, you MUST obtain a minimum score of a 136. I tried that on my 4th attempt and failed with a 133. So, on this 5th attempt, I took both sides and passed on both sides. So the benefit of both sides is: you can average the scores together to reach a 136, so you can fail one side and still pass overall. So, please register for both days because you can always leave after the first day. However, if you only register for the first dayband things do not go right, you wouldn’t be able to sit for the second day and hope you did much better to pass overall. The fee is the same, except for an extra day in a hotel room. What’s another day, to save the worry and anxiety and give yourself another chance after day one. Also, I spent most of my time on the MBE practice and left the Florida portion for the last 3 weeks. I did that because I took part A a few times and spent most of my time on part A, but still failed by 3 points. Go figure, this time I sat for both days and passed on day 1 and 2. That’s my luck! Please keep asking questions. I know that feeling of frustration, despair, and depression. But never give up, because as a lawyer, you wouldn’t just pack up your briefcase and say,” well we lost, let’s go home.” So, I feel this is the same train of thought. Pretend that the Bar exam is a court proceeding and you are fighting zealously for your client (you) to make the court rule in your favor and pass you in the next attempt.

It won’t let me send you a private message but my email is: trineeybabeyyx0x@aol.com

Please email me!!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?