Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 pm

johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:Essays were far worse than the multiple choice, in my opinion, but I'm definitely in the minority on that.


The mc pattern is pretty clear at this point...........until they decide to change it next time when I'm there in February.

That's true. I almost walked out of the room in frustration once I saw the crim essay because I hadn't anticipated one at all. I can only ever really predict two of the three topics.

User avatar
kinseyjo

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby kinseyjo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:19 am

Anyone know if there’s actually a penalty for not uploading your exam before 10 pm? I got mine in literally at 10:05 and it said successfully uploaded and everything but now I’m worrying.

Common stock

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Common stock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m alive. Who else survived?

wyoming92

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby wyoming92 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:55 pm

I’m pleased with the 1L-heavy topics of essays and morning MBE. Lots of spare time in the morning so I grabbed a Starbucks and waited for my fellow classmate to finish up before we grabbed lunch. I just knew those questions. The afternoon MBE session was a lot harder for me but still had 30 minutes leftover. Not a fan of Florida multiple choice.

The waiting is going to kill me. I heard people start talking about things on the essay I didn’t bring up and had to leave the area so it didn’t give me anxiety. We all probably found issues on the essay that other people did not raise. I just have to hope studying paid off.

Common stock

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Common stock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 pm

wyoming92 wrote:I’m pleased with the 1L-heavy topics of essays and morning MBE. Lots of spare time in the morning so I grabbed a Starbucks and waited for my fellow classmate to finish up before we grabbed lunch. I just knew those questions. The afternoon MBE session was a lot harder for me but still had 30 minutes leftover. Not a fan of Florida multiple choice.

The waiting is going to kill me. I heard people start talking about things on the essay I didn’t bring up and had to leave the area so it didn’t give me anxiety. We all probably found issues on the essay that other people did not raise. I just have to hope studying paid off.



not a fan of hearing people discuss topics either. Nothing we can do about what we put down and that just adds extra stress. My morning MBE was harder than PM, so guessing what one had in the am the other had in the pm.

It’s going to be a loooooooong August and September for sure.

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Common stock wrote:
wyoming92 wrote:I’m pleased with the 1L-heavy topics of essays and morning MBE. Lots of spare time in the morning so I grabbed a Starbucks and waited for my fellow classmate to finish up before we grabbed lunch. I just knew those questions. The afternoon MBE session was a lot harder for me but still had 30 minutes leftover. Not a fan of Florida multiple choice.

The waiting is going to kill me. I heard people start talking about things on the essay I didn’t bring up and had to leave the area so it didn’t give me anxiety. We all probably found issues on the essay that other people did not raise. I just have to hope studying paid off.



not a fan of hearing people discuss topics either. Nothing we can do about what we put down and that just adds extra stress. My morning MBE was harder than PM, so guessing what one had in the am the other had in the pm.

It’s going to be a loooooooong August and September for sure.

I had to do twenty questions in the last twenty minutes of the morning session of the MBE. I'm already looking into new prep for February.

Allegedly88

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:26 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Allegedly88 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 am

Wow ... did anyone find that the MBE fact patterns were much like practice questions we have seen BUT the answer choices were outrageous and not much like the answer choices we had when doing practice questions?
I had to rush the last 10 questions i didnt even read some i had to just guess C all the way down for about 5 of them. I am worried as hell as we all are. I do not want to do this a fourth time in feb.

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 am

Allegedly88 wrote:Wow ... did anyone find that the MBE fact patterns were much like practice questions we have seen BUT the answer choices were outrageous and not much like the answer choices we had when doing practice questions?
I had to rush the last 10 questions i didnt even read some i had to just guess C all the way down for about 5 of them. I am worried as hell as we all are. I do not want to do this a fourth time in feb.

They were harder than most of the adaptibar questions by several orders of magnitude, at least for half of the exam.

johngotti

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am

Allegedly88 wrote:Wow ... did anyone find that the MBE fact patterns were much like practice questions we have seen BUT the answer choices were outrageous and not much like the answer choices we had when doing practice questions?
I had to rush the last 10 questions i didnt even read some i had to just guess C all the way down for about 5 of them. I am worried as hell as we all are. I do not want to do this a fourth time in feb.


It's no secret that the MBE questions have been gotten increasingly difficult. Adaptibar helps but I think those questions were from like 15-20 years ago. People wonder why MBE scores have gone down recently, I'd like to see how people who took it 10+ years ago would do today.

ELerner

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby ELerner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am

So... on multiple choice questions, when the answers to a string of questions appear to be the same letter, at what point in the string do you start freaking out and second guessing yourself? After, e.g., 3 "B's" in a row? After 4 "B's". At what point do you think "They're messing with my head. I'm pretty sure it's "B," but dang, that's the [4th], [5th] one in a row..."

<sigh> Is it September 16 yet? :roll:

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 am

wyoming92 wrote:
1) Florida and federal con law and pro rep. Privacy and due process analysis, the usual Florida Bill Properly Enacted or Not analysis, and sunshine/public meeting records. And of course conflict of interest. Wasted time trying to learn the reasonable fees factors for the bar exam but oh well.
.

So strict scrutiny for the customers wanting tats and rational basis for the business owners? Can Senators speak about the potential bill?

Law Yer

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Law Yer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:48 pm

not guilty wrote:
wyoming92 wrote:
1) Florida and federal con law and pro rep. Privacy and due process analysis, the usual Florida Bill Properly Enacted or Not analysis, and sunshine/public meeting records. And of course conflict of interest. Wasted time trying to learn the reasonable fees factors for the bar exam but oh well.
.

So strict scrutiny for the customers wanting tats and rational basis for the business owners? Can Senators speak about the potential bill?


Probably shouldn’t have spoken about it because of Florida’s government in the sunshine act

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm

johngotti wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:Wow ... did anyone find that the MBE fact patterns were much like practice questions we have seen BUT the answer choices were outrageous and not much like the answer choices we had when doing practice questions?
I had to rush the last 10 questions i didnt even read some i had to just guess C all the way down for about 5 of them. I am worried as hell as we all are. I do not want to do this a fourth time in feb.


It's no secret that the MBE questions have been gotten increasingly difficult. Adaptibar helps but I think those questions were from like 15-20 years ago. People wonder why MBE scores have gone down recently, I'd like to see how people who took it 10+ years ago would do today.

Old timers who give bar advice are the worst.

flbartaker

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby flbartaker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:37 pm

wyoming92 wrote:Didn’t realize you could take the essay packet out with you until I was downstairs and saw everyone else with it...but lord knows I don’t want to look at any bar materials after Wednesday...

Themis prepared me well for the topics. From what I remember on the essays:

1) Florida and federal con law and pro rep. Privacy and due process analysis, the usual Florida Bill Properly Enacted or Not analysis, and sunshine/public meeting records. And of course conflict of interest. Wasted time trying to learn the reasonable fees factors for the bar exam but oh well.

2) property - easements, tenant/landlord issues, deeds/recording (quitclaim and general warranty) and secured transactions 101 on the mortgage and note, and modification of a note, and possible foreclosure/lien issues...there was a lot...

3) criminal and crim pro (fed 4/5/6 and state) and evidence on a Romeo/Juliet crime case.

And no massive commercial paper essay - I’ll take it.

Worried over FL multiple choice. So many 50/50 guesses, but no corporations/partnerships/agency questions.


Yep. I mentioned all of this, but you forgot to mention "Riparian Rights" and how Florida uses the "Reasonable Use Doctrine" regarding the issue of the pond in the property essay. I also mentioned that there was initially a "license" when the owner would let her neighbor use the pond before establishing the easement. That property essay was LOADED with issues.

0134580

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby 0134580 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Does anyone else have this strong sensation that they’ve failed the bar? Or is it just me..... I can’t even stomach the idea of having to go through this shit again

Flalwyer

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Flalwyer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 pm

That’s a normal reaction. Only about a quarter to a third of the people who have that sensation and are first time test takers actually fail.

Flalwyer

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Flalwyer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Allegedly88 wrote:Wow ... did anyone find that the MBE fact patterns were much like practice questions we have seen BUT the answer choices were outrageous and not much like the answer choices we had when doing practice questions?
I had to rush the last 10 questions i didnt even read some i had to just guess C all the way down for about 5 of them. I am worried as hell as we all are. I do not want to do this a fourth time in feb.


It's no secret that the MBE questions have been gotten increasingly difficult. Adaptibar helps but I think those questions were from like 15-20 years ago. People wonder why MBE scores have gone down recently, I'd like to see how people who took it 10+ years ago would do today.

Old timers who give bar advice are the worst.


I took the bar a decade ago and graduated from your school Jmart082, even then we noticed more recent MBE questions were becoming more complicated. The Florida essays have certainly become more complicated. Back then the FBOBE had a stretch of exams that always had homestead essays and the other essays were straight forward on a single subject with maybe professional responsibility, but now they are a mess of several subjects.

Additionally, it’s dumb that a minimal competency exam tests whether tattoos are protected by the first amendment in an essay. If test writers wanted to test 1A law or the levels of scrutiny the proper way to do that is to test a clear level or class.

As you all become bar members I hope you will join us and never contributing extra money to the state bar or its dumb organizations on your bar dues form. Y’all will laugh when the bar suggests you contribute money to FLAME — the Florida Lawyers Association for the Maintenance of Excellence.

Good luck everyone.

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:22 pm

0134580 wrote:Does anyone else have this strong sensation that they’ve failed the bar? Or is it just me..... I can’t even stomach the idea of having to go through this shit again

I mean, it could be worse. As I said before, I had to answer 20 questions, or ten percent of the exam, in the last 20 minutes, so I’d say that whatever dread I’m having isn’t necessarily unfounded. I can hardly answer these questions correctly under normal time constraints. I had a stress barf after I finished that part of the MBE.

Lawzilla

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Lawzilla » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:47 pm

For those that have passed, how did you feel after taking it? Was there stuff that you knew you forgot and still ended up being ok? All we get to see are perfect essays, so I have no concept of what's just good enough to pass. How much can you miss and be ok? :cry:

ELerner

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby ELerner » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:21 am

Lawzilla wrote:For those that have passed, how did you feel after taking it? Was there stuff that you knew you forgot and still ended up being ok? All we get to see are perfect essays, so I have no concept of what's just good enough to pass. How much can you miss and be ok? :cry:


I just took the FL exam, but I've been a member of the NY bar since 1980. When I walked out of that exam, I remember thinking "Well...I guess you become a member of the bar strictly by chance." I didn't have a clue how I did. I passed.

As for missing stuff on the essays, you're right--the sample answers are near-perfect. The impression I've gotten (I think I saw it somewhere online) is that you can miss nearly half the stuff and still "pass" the essay.

I'm equally (or even more so) apprehensive as I was with NY forty years ago. I decided I'll expect to fail, so I can be pleasantly surprised if I pass.

wyoming92

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby wyoming92 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm

flbartaker wrote:
Yep. I mentioned all of this, but you forgot to mention "Riparian Rights" and how Florida uses the "Reasonable Use Doctrine" regarding the issue of the pond in the property essay. I also mentioned that there was initially a "license" when the owner would let her neighbor use the pond before establishing the easement. That property essay was LOADED with issues.


Fair enough. I did mention the license prior to easement, but I did not mention riparian rights at all. I focused on the scope of easement with commercial vs recreational use and then added in some Sec. Transaction information on the note and mortgage (thank you TLS for that “bullshitting” essay post on that topic!).

FloridaLawyer2B

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Grew up in Florida and Michigan. Took the Michigan Bar Exam a few years ago. Passed and got licensed. Decided it was time to come home to Florida, and here I am again...

I took the Florida Bar back in February. Failed. I knew when I walked out of the convention center I failed. It was a miserable feeling. Sure enough a couple months later I got the bad news. But, I got back on the Barbri horse and galloped toward July. While working full time, I'd spend every break at work studying, then coming home and studying until the wee hours. Rinse and repeat every day.

Needless to say when I left Tampa again a couple days ago, I felt more confident and did not have that feeling I failed dread come over me. Full of doubt? Paranoid I failed interlaced with "I got this" then running right back to "oh man I better book a room at the Waterside for February so at least I have a nicer place next time." So we will see.

I thought the essays were more straightforward this time. Then I'm reading some of your comments and I'm like, "well I sure as sh-- didn't put that down". Florida Con law was fun. I talked about the meeting in sunshine, discussing legislation outside of a regular session, right to privacy, due process, and I think I tossed in a couple others.

The property essay, well...some of you say it was "loaded" with issues. Not sure I saw all of that. I tried to answer the questions asked. I did get Nancy's license out there though before she got the deed. Talked about a lot of things that I haven't seen mentioned. I didn't talk about water rights. Didn't even study water rights because everyone always tells me it's "never tested".

The criminal law / criminal procedure / evidence essay was okay. I didn't really know all the mechanics of Florida's statutory rape law, and only went into the aspects of battery of a sexual nature, the liability for a defendant because it's a minor, the mistake of age defense, and how both sides could argue one versus the other. The evidence aspect of it was pretty straightforward. I saw both admissions by a party opponent and adoptive admissions, as well as being able to introduce the entire text message out of fairness if the state was only bringing in a section of it.

As for the multiple choice...Florida's were difficult. Some I got the exception and applied it right away. Others, no clue. The MBE was more challenging this time than it was in February or even in Michigan. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing half the time while other questions immediately jumped out at me as like "oh yeah, duh."

But I don't know...now I feel like I've failed because I'm letting the internet seduce me...

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 pm

FloridaLawyer2B wrote:Grew up in Florida and Michigan. Took the Michigan Bar Exam a few years ago. Passed and got licensed. Decided it was time to come home to Florida, and here I am again...

I took the Florida Bar back in February. Failed. I knew when I walked out of the convention center I failed. It was a miserable feeling. Sure enough a couple months later I got the bad news. But, I got back on the Barbri horse and galloped toward July. While working full time, I'd spend every break at work studying, then coming home and studying until the wee hours. Rinse and repeat every day.

Needless to say when I left Tampa again a couple days ago, I felt more confident and did not have that feeling I failed dread come over me. Full of doubt? Paranoid I failed interlaced with "I got this" then running right back to "oh man I better book a room at the Waterside for February so at least I have a nicer place next time." So we will see.

I thought the essays were more straightforward this time. Then I'm reading some of your comments and I'm like, "well I sure as sh-- didn't put that down". Florida Con law was fun. I talked about the meeting in sunshine, discussing legislation outside of a regular session, right to privacy, due process, and I think I tossed in a couple others.

The property essay, well...some of you say it was "loaded" with issues. Not sure I saw all of that. I tried to answer the questions asked. I did get Nancy's license out there though before she got the deed. Talked about a lot of things that I haven't seen mentioned. I didn't talk about water rights. Didn't even study water rights because everyone always tells me it's "never tested".

The criminal law / criminal procedure / evidence essay was okay. I didn't really know all the mechanics of Florida's statutory rape law, and only went into the aspects of battery of a sexual nature, the liability for a defendant because it's a minor, the mistake of age defense, and how both sides could argue one versus the other. The evidence aspect of it was pretty straightforward. I saw both admissions by a party opponent and adoptive admissions, as well as being able to introduce the entire text message out of fairness if the state was only bringing in a section of it.

As for the multiple choice...Florida's were difficult. Some I got the exception and applied it right away. Others, no clue. The MBE was more challenging this time than it was in February or even in Michigan. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing half the time while other questions immediately jumped out at me as like "oh yeah, duh."

But I don't know...now I feel like I've failed because I'm letting the internet seduce me...

I believe sexual battery is just typical rape (no consent). This was L&L Battery, so a strict liability crime, which means mistake of age would have been irrelevant.

Law Yer

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Law Yer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:32 am

not guilty wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:Grew up in Florida and Michigan. Took the Michigan Bar Exam a few years ago. Passed and got licensed. Decided it was time to come home to Florida, and here I am again...

I took the Florida Bar back in February. Failed. I knew when I walked out of the convention center I failed. It was a miserable feeling. Sure enough a couple months later I got the bad news. But, I got back on the Barbri horse and galloped toward July. While working full time, I'd spend every break at work studying, then coming home and studying until the wee hours. Rinse and repeat every day.

Needless to say when I left Tampa again a couple days ago, I felt more confident and did not have that feeling I failed dread come over me. Full of doubt? Paranoid I failed interlaced with "I got this" then running right back to "oh man I better book a room at the Waterside for February so at least I have a nicer place next time." So we will see.

I thought the essays were more straightforward this time. Then I'm reading some of your comments and I'm like, "well I sure as sh-- didn't put that down". Florida Con law was fun. I talked about the meeting in sunshine, discussing legislation outside of a regular session, right to privacy, due process, and I think I tossed in a couple others.

The property essay, well...some of you say it was "loaded" with issues. Not sure I saw all of that. I tried to answer the questions asked. I did get Nancy's license out there though before she got the deed. Talked about a lot of things that I haven't seen mentioned. I didn't talk about water rights. Didn't even study water rights because everyone always tells me it's "never tested".

The criminal law / criminal procedure / evidence essay was okay. I didn't really know all the mechanics of Florida's statutory rape law, and only went into the aspects of battery of a sexual nature, the liability for a defendant because it's a minor, the mistake of age defense, and how both sides could argue one versus the other. The evidence aspect of it was pretty straightforward. I saw both admissions by a party opponent and adoptive admissions, as well as being able to introduce the entire text message out of fairness if the state was only bringing in a section of it.

As for the multiple choice...Florida's were difficult. Some I got the exception and applied it right away. Others, no clue. The MBE was more challenging this time than it was in February or even in Michigan. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing half the time while other questions immediately jumped out at me as like "oh yeah, duh."

But I don't know...now I feel like I've failed because I'm letting the internet seduce me...

I believe sexual battery is just typical rape (no consent). This was L&L Battery, so a strict liability crime, which means mistake of age would have been irrelevant.


How old was the guy again? I believe the Florida statute only applies if he was 24+

FloridaLawyer2B

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FloridaLawyer2B » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:38 am

not guilty wrote:
FloridaLawyer2B wrote:I believe sexual battery is just typical rape (no consent). This was L&L Battery, so a strict liability crime, which means mistake of age would have been irrelevant.


Yeah I did discuss that aspect of it, and that even though the defendant could argue that, with statutory rape mistake of age isn’t a defense.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JBNYC, linkster515 and 36 guests