Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
kinseyjo

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby kinseyjo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

yennem wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:I need some help understanding my scores. My raw score for FL was 157 and scaled 131. How would the curve scale me back that much to failing? That makes no sense. Feeling pretty angry as it sure as hell looks like I passed before whatever scale magic they used.

Ive been through this road many times... I think the secret to the FL portion is the balance of points between MC and Essays. Telling by your score you probably did well on essays but were about average to below average on your MC.

Essays: 1) 55.5 2) 20.5 3) 33
MC: 4) 17 5) 15 6) 16

Still feels real unfair.

not guilty

Bronze

Postby not guilty » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:57 pm

kinseyjo wrote:

Still feels real unfair.

That is out of 390 points total, before they scale it down accordingly.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm

kinseyjo wrote:
yennem wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:I need some help understanding my scores. My raw score for FL was 157 and scaled 131. How would the curve scale me back that much to failing? That makes no sense. Feeling pretty angry as it sure as hell looks like I passed before whatever scale magic they used.

Ive been through this road many times... I think the secret to the FL portion is the balance of points between MC and Essays. Telling by your score you probably did well on essays but were about average to below average on your MC.

Still feels real unfair.

It's likely everyone killed the Trusts essay so that got scaled down and I'd bet ST had a lower mean than Torts so maybe that ended up counting for more? I know 18 was the mean on each MC last time. You can read back through the thread about the scaling being a total joke. I think if you fall too far below the mean on any one of the sections they use whatever scaling tricks possible to stop people from passing.
Last edited by johngotti on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinseyjo

New

Postby kinseyjo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:01 pm

not guilty wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:

Still feels real unfair.

this is the the full break down:

MC: 4) 17 5) 15 6) 16.

The mean raw score for the overall performance of the group taking:

1) 47.7; 2) 33.0; 3) 38.0; 4) 17.0; 5) 16.2; 6) 17.0

I don't see how my scores were so different that they scaled me back 26 points.

yennem

New

Postby yennem » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm

kinseyjo wrote:
not guilty wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:

Still feels real unfair.

Im shocked how fast you got your breakdown... I live in Tampa and dont expect mine until tomorrow.

not guilty

Bronze

Postby not guilty » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm

kinseyjo wrote:

I do not have a mathematical explanation, but the average total points was 47.7 + 33.0 + 38.0 + 17.0 + 16.2 + 17.0 = 169. You earned 157. So you were 10 points below the average, so in theory a 131 seems fitting :(

As ppl have mentioned before, half of Part A takers fail every time. I'd be curious to know if someone got a 169 and failed. If so, then I bet they had heavy points in the essays, because many believe those points inevitably get scaled down.

kinseyjo

New

Postby kinseyjo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm

yennem wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:
not guilty wrote:
kinseyjo wrote:

Still feels real unfair.

Im shocked how fast you got your breakdown... I live in Tampa and dont expect mine until tomorrow.

I live in Tallahassee, where they send them from.

not guilty

Bronze

Postby not guilty » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Here is a post from last summer:

This is completely accurate for scaling for PART A. Obviously PART B is just the MBE scaled scoring ranges depending on the curve (it will be interesting now that 25 are throw away v. 10 throw away). So, at this point, we aren't sure the new scaling for the MBE when only 175 count nowadays.

Anyways, PART A

FL MC -- 90/100 Questions count. Scoring is based out of 100 points. Each section scores RAW on 30 points.
FL Essays -- Each Essay really is worth about 30-33 Points. So when you see your score (i.e. 50) that's really the percentage. That percentage should be used on a 30 point scale. Thus, if you got an essay score of 50, you really got a 15/30.

So here's a breakdown Sample:

Essay 1: 50 (15/30)
Essay 2: 60 (18/30)
Essay 3: 75 (22.5/30)
FL MC 1: 17/30
FL MC 2: 18/30
FL MC 3: 25/30
TOTAL: 115/180
SCALED SCORE: 160.5-163.5

I hope this helps.

kinseyjo

New

Postby kinseyjo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm

not guilty wrote:
I do not have a mathematical explanation, but the average total points was 47.7 + 33.0 + 38.0 + 17.0 + 16.2 + 17.0 = 169. You earned 157. So you were 10 points below the average, so in theory a 131 seems fitting :(

As ppl have mentioned before, half of Part A takers fail every time. I'd be curious to know if someone got a 169 and failed. If so, then I bet they had heavy points in the essays, because many believe those points inevitably get scaled down.

thank you! that helps me understand. oh well, least I know I was pretty close and I can crush it in July.

mystikal

New

Postby mystikal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 am

While I was studying for the Bar (will articulate on this further), you will become familiar with some similarities...

Also, Feb exams are much harder to pass, because of the prior July takers....making the curve harder to beat.

mystikal

New

Postby mystikal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:38 am

johngotti wrote:
not guilty wrote:
mystikal wrote:I was one of the fortunate individuals who passed the Part A portion. I passed July 2018 Part B section, and opted to only focus all my attention to the Florida portion. With that said, I busted my *** and worked to get a passing score (dont know what the score is yet, should be in the mail). But It can be done. I was working FT, and had to deal with a family and two kids.

If you are taking the MBE- Critial Pass, Adapti bar, and Kaplan worked for me.

If you are taking the Florida portion-Read all of the Examiners "published" essays on the site. Then take multiple practice exams coupled with the Multiple choice practice questions from one of the prep companies. (I used Barbris book) Although the questions are NOT the same, or even remotely similar, practicing helps. Specifically for the "Big" subjects, know the FL distinctions...

If anyone needs any of the above, I will be posting them FS in the forum...

I think one of the issues with FL Part A is that the bar companies do not anticipate certain subtopics/issues at all or don't anticipate exactly how they will be touched on. For example, a dependency/family issue with primary focus on adoption. It is fair to blame the student for not being fully prepared, but many students are mislead via the "just know the basics it is just a minimum competency exam" mantra.

Did any bar prep companies take dependency seriously until after July 2017? I did okay on that question you referenced from July 2018 but it was the essay with the lowest mean, Barbri specifically said "if you get a family law question be happy because it's all factor based." With the increase in part A topics/nuances there's less time to focus on old reliable topics like FL Con Law.

I had a free course with Barbri, the lecture for Family, Dependency, Juvenile delinquent was great. Very informative...but my suggestion...Im not pro...but if you are taking Part A Florida only. Take an entire week;
1) download all the Free essays that are PDF from the FL Bars Site
2) Place them in a folder by the year
3) Get some paper/legal pad for each essay subject; Tort, K, Trust, Property, etc
4) Write down each subject on an independent paper/legal pad
5) start with the first subject and READ, ReREAD, each and every single essay the bar published online
6) Identify each nuance, testable area
6a) Example; Torts- Negligence, Negligence per se, Strict liability, products liability etc
7) write down all the elements to the testable area, highlight bold underline FLORIDA distinctions....memorize these....
8) Spot the similarities
9) Study those similarities along with the elements of the testable areas...ALL every single AREA! Torts, K, Property, Trust, Family Law ETC.
10) Make an outline and memorize each subject every single day
11) Practice these essays every single day

Even if you are not comfortable, or even ready to write...Shut up, sit down and try these essays. You really need to be comfortable with time, and issue spotting every single issue EVEN with the Florida distinctions.

On Test day, once you open your essay and you are aware of the subject being tested, be sure to regurgitate the FLORIDA DISTINCTION on your scratch paper. For instance; Torts abolished j&s liability, follows pure comparative, etc...

Multiple choice, get a book from the big companies with their multiple choice questions, new/used does not matter...practice each question...
You can also get one of the books from the major companies with the conversion of the Florida distinctions with Civil/criminal procedure,Evidence, Wills/trust, Business orgs....these are really concise but can be helpful.

FLThrowaway

New

Postby FLThrowaway » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am

Passed, thankfully. I literally guessed on every trusts and estates question on the Florida multiple choice.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am

mystikal wrote:While I was studying for the Bar (will articulate on this further), you will become familiar with some similarities...

Also, Feb exams are much harder to pass, because of the prior July takers....making the curve harder to beat.

Regarding your last sentence, so you're saying the greater number of repeaters from July skew the results?

mystikal

New

Postby mystikal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:23 pm

johngotti wrote:
mystikal wrote:While I was studying for the Bar (will articulate on this further), you will become familiar with some similarities...

Regarding your last sentence, so you're saying the greater number of repeaters from July skew the results?

Yes, and coupled with the substantially lower number of people taking the examination. July is usually a large pool of takers, and first timer.

Just got my score, and it does not have the breakdown, but I got a 146.

Common stock

New

Postby Common stock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Anyone outside of FL get the results letter yet? I’m in Illinois and nothing.

legallyblondie

New

Postby legallyblondie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm in Tampa and I still didn't get the letter today.

legallyblondie

New

Postby legallyblondie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 pm

mystikal wrote:I was one of the fortunate individuals who passed the Part A portion. I passed July 2018 Part B section, and opted to only focus all my attention to the Florida portion. With that said, I busted my *** and worked to get a passing score (dont know what the score is yet, should be in the mail). But It can be done. I was working FT, and had to deal with a family and two kids.

If you are taking the MBE- Critial Pass, Adapti bar, and Kaplan worked for me.

If you are taking the Florida portion-Read all of the Examiners "published" essays on the site. Then take multiple practice exams coupled with the Multiple choice practice questions from one of the prep companies. (I used Barbris book) Although the questions are NOT the same, or even remotely similar, practicing helps. Specifically for the "Big" subjects, know the FL distinctions...

If anyone needs any of the above, I will be posting them FS in the forum...

THIS. I passed both sections, I used Adaptibar for the MBE and then old Kaplan materials for the FL sections. I outlined all of the FL subjects and then reviewed all of the published essays, you will see the same FL distinctions tested in essays over and over. I do not know anything that will adequately prepare anyone for the FL MCQ, none of the prep companies come close. I left the MCQ feeling like I guessed on all of them.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Bombed the Florida MC like I figured, fuck BE. Really screwed up the Torts essay and should've done a lot better on ST and Trusts.

I've read a ton of stuff online in the past 2 days about improving on Florida MC but as long as they test the infinite number of BE stuff I don't have much hope.

Jmart082

Bronze

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm

johngotti wrote:Bombed the Florida MC like I figured, fuck BE. Really screwed up the Torts essay and should've done a lot better on ST and Trusts.

I've read a ton of stuff online in the past 2 days about improving on Florida MC but as long as they test the infinite number of BE stuff I don't have much hope.

Same. And to add insult to injury, I missed the MBE by a single point. The torts essay and the partnerships/wills content were the nails on the coffin, so to speak, for part A. If a lesson was learned, it was to brush up on my crim and contracts on the MBE, and to not listen to BarBri’s treatment of the FL component as being something of an afterthought best left for the tail end of bar study.

johngotti

New

Postby johngotti » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:Bombed the Florida MC like I figured, fuck BE. Really screwed up the Torts essay and should've done a lot better on ST and Trusts.

Same. And to add insult to injury, I missed the MBE by a single point. The torts essay and the partnerships/wills content were the nails on the coffin, so to speak, for part A. If a lesson was learned, it was to brush up on my crim and contracts on the MBE, and to not listen to BarBri’s treatment of the FL component as being something of an afterthought best left for the tail end of bar study.

I'm definitely incorporating a ton of FL Crim/Civ Pro stuff early on plus Evidence since it's likely we'll see that on the July MC. 90% of the stuff I've seen is that you're better off not spending much time on FL MC practice questions and more time on just learning the black letter law.

The Barbri Wills/Trusts stuff sucked, easily the worst lecturer.

FLThrowaway

New

Postby FLThrowaway » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:17 pm

I just got my MPRE results today so I wasn't authorized to swear in at the time they mailed letters. Do I need to do anything or will the the state bar send me what I need to swear in when they also get my MPRE results?

Common stock

New

Postby Common stock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Has anyone tried the apulsebooks website? Paid for it and used it? Thoughts? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it. Thanks!

mystikal

New

Postby mystikal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Posted a couple different things fs in the fs forums if anyone is interested.

Common stock

New

Postby Common stock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm

mystikal wrote:Posted a couple different things fs in the fs forums if anyone is interested.

What’s the fs forum?

mystikal

New

Postby mystikal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Common stock wrote:
mystikal wrote:Posted a couple different things fs in the fs forums if anyone is interested.

What’s the fs forum?

for sale forum/selection...check you pm

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?