Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am

Be back in July. My bad feeling was not unfounded

yennem

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

OMG After 7 attempts! I FINALLY PASSED!!! (MPRE JUST EXPIRED) BUT I PASSED BOTH!!!!

Houstonttt

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Houstonttt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am

Jmart082 wrote:Be back in July. My bad feeling was not unfounded

its ok My opinion is Feb harder than July so you do your best in July wish you a very best of luck.. do you mind sharing your mbe score. i am doing Texas 2 more weeks :(

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 am

Houstonttt wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:Be back in July. My bad feeling was not unfounded

its ok My opinion is Feb harder than July so you do your best in July wish you a very best of luck.. do you mind sharing your mbe score. i am doing Texas 2 more weeks :(

I don’t know what I scored. But regardless, at least now I know that I’m probably done with this profession. I’m not sure that I want it badly enough to make another go at it in July. The amount of gratification that I get from doing this pales in comparison to how much it takes and takes and takes from me. I wish you luck as you await your results, though.

johngotti

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am

Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am

johngotti wrote:Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.

fringer

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby fringer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 am

Finally passed!

I first took the bar exam in 07/2013, and I got close so many times, it was ridiculous.

In 2017 (after who knows how many failed attempts at Florida), I changed directions, and took and passed the Iowa Bar (where I went to law school—also a UBE jurisdiction). That at least gave me the confidence that I actually can pass a bar exam. Finally, I decided to retake FL in February, and I’m so happy I passed. I cried. My wife cried. We both cried with elation.

Unfortunately, my MPRE is stale, so I have to retake that in August, but talk about a huge weight finally off my shoulders!

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am

Jmart082 wrote:I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.

Just look at the amount of 'No" on the right hand side for being able to be sworn in. As usual the bar will announce a high % passing, but in reality only accounting for 1st time takers from about 6 schools.

johngotti

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 am

Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.


57% of first time takers means definitely under 50% including retakers and I'd guess it's a lot lower than that (low 40s?). Not getting Critical Pass flashcards feels like my biggest mistake. I thought I was doing okay on Barbri questions (between 60-70% on pretty much all question sets towards the end) but not good enough.

fringer

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby fringer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am

not guilty wrote:Just look at the amount of 'No" on the right hand side for being able to be sworn in. As usual the bar will announce a high % passing, but in reality only accounting for 1st time takers from about 6 schools.


Mostly true, but some of those “No” to being sworn in are like me—we passed, but still have to take/retake/refresh the MPRE before we can be sworn in. Granted, I think that’s a relatively small number of the Noes, but it does account for at least a few. But yeah, a glance over the results shows a pretty large amount of people who failed.

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.


57% of first time takers means definitely under 50% including retakers and I'd guess it's a lot lower than that (low 40s?). Not getting Critical Pass flashcards feels like my biggest mistake. I thought I was doing okay on Barbri questions (between 60-70% on pretty much all question sets towards the end) but not good enough.

Yeah, there is definitely a disparity between what I’m seeing on the school comparison sheet and the ocean of “no’s” that line the actual results sheet from top to bottom. If I don’t quit law altogether, I need to rethink my prep course situation, because I’m not sure that BarBri’s method of doing as much work as humanly possible suits me at all. I needed to be finding ways to work smarter. I’d have never completed the course, even if I pushed myself to do so, and my preparation for the state portion definitely suffered because of how things were structured.

Smiddywesson

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:41 am

Azwildcat wrote:Passed somehow. No idea how. I totally blew the Florida section.


Outstanding. Any pass you can walk away from is a damn good one. Congrats!

Smiddywesson

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:43 am

yennem wrote:OMG After 7 attempts! I FINALLY PASSED!!! (MPRE JUST EXPIRED) BUT I PASSED BOTH!!!!


Wow, seven attempts, that's fantastic! :D

johngotti

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am

Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.


57% of first time takers means definitely under 50% including retakers and I'd guess it's a lot lower than that (low 40s?). Not getting Critical Pass flashcards feels like my biggest mistake. I thought I was doing okay on Barbri questions (between 60-70% on pretty much all question sets towards the end) but not good enough.

Yeah, there is definitely a disparity between what I’m seeing on the school comparison sheet and the ocean of “no’s” that line the actual results sheet from top to bottom. If I don’t quit law altogether, I need to rethink my prep course situation, because I’m not sure that BarBri’s method of doing as much work as humanly possible suits me at all. I needed to be finding ways to work smarter. I’d have never completed the course, even if I pushed myself to do so, and my preparation for the state portion definitely suffered because of how things were structured.


Well it's impossible to tell because I saw a lot of "no's" even with passes which means character and fitness stuff. I guess the non-FL school firs time takers is always low in February but 33% is nuts. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it again n July and I have no idea what prep I'd do other than Critical Pass a billion times.

Smiddywesson

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am

fringer wrote:Finally passed!

I first took the bar exam in 07/2013, and I got close so many times, it was ridiculous.

In 2017 (after who knows how many failed attempts at Florida), I changed directions, and took and passed the Iowa Bar (where I went to law school—also a UBE jurisdiction). That at least gave me the confidence that I actually can pass a bar exam. Finally, I decided to retake FL in February, and I’m so happy I passed. I cried. My wife cried. We both cried with elation.

Unfortunately, my MPRE is stale, so I have to retake that in August, but talk about a huge weight finally off my shoulders!



Congratulations. Now you can walk into the MPRE like you own the place. So happy for you. :lol:

Flalwyer

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Flalwyer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

On February 26-27, 2019, 1,869 applicants took the Bar Examination in Tampa, Florida. The Supreme Court posted the pass/fail results for each applicant on its website and score reports were mailed to each applicant today.

The Court approved 526 candidates for admission to The Florida Bar on April 15, 2019, and Chief Justice Charles T. Canady has announced that they may be sworn in as members of The Florida Bar. Formal induction ceremonies to swear in the new attorneys will be held at the First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal on Monday, May 6, 2019.


So approved rate was 21%, with some number of those not yet approved either needing to pass MPRE or C&F. Brutal.

PT20003

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:11 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby PT20003 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:31 pm

johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
johngotti wrote:Failed

Shouldn’t be surprised but thought the essays might save me. Fuck my life

I feel your pain, man. I cannot point to a single thing that I would have changed in my preparation. I worked hard, and if I tried any harder, I’d have probably pushed myself past the brink. The essays felt like a points grab, but other than that, the whole thing was thoroughly painful and sort of a forgone conclusion for me. Judging from the numbers on that sheet, a lot of people are not having a good day.


57% of first time takers means definitely under 50% including retakers and I'd guess it's a lot lower than that (low 40s?). Not getting Critical Pass flashcards feels like my biggest mistake. I thought I was doing okay on Barbri questions (between 60-70% on pretty much all question sets towards the end) but not good enough.

Yeah, there is definitely a disparity between what I’m seeing on the school comparison sheet and the ocean of “no’s” that line the actual results sheet from top to bottom. If I don’t quit law altogether, I need to rethink my prep course situation, because I’m not sure that BarBri’s method of doing as much work as humanly possible suits me at all. I needed to be finding ways to work smarter. I’d have never completed the course, even if I pushed myself to do so, and my preparation for the state portion definitely suffered because of how things were structured.


Well it's impossible to tell because I saw a lot of "no's" even with passes which means character and fitness stuff. I guess the non-FL school firs time takers is always low in February but 33% is nuts. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it again n July and I have no idea what prep I'd do other than Critical Pass a billion times.


Ugh, Florida... Their stats are a joke. To re-take is the question of me. I transferred my MBE score to FL and failed part a. I felt decent/good about the essays, but the multiple choices were a joke! I didn't study business entities or wills/trusts at all for the bar (at most I skimmed the Barbri CMR on the subject). Focused on other subjects, such as FL con law and tort distinctions. Needless to say, I didn't study and failed! First test I've ever failed. Passed my first bar last year (UBE) with flying colors. Grew up and family in FL, but no other connections. I'll never move back to that place or practice there. Worth it to re-take just because FL pissed me off with this stupid part a test?

johngotti

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Flalwyer wrote:
On February 26-27, 2019, 1,869 applicants took the Bar Examination in Tampa, Florida. The Supreme Court posted the pass/fail results for each applicant on its website and score reports were mailed to each applicant today.

The Court approved 526 candidates for admission to The Florida Bar on April 15, 2019, and Chief Justice Charles T. Canady has announced that they may be sworn in as members of The Florida Bar. Formal induction ceremonies to swear in the new attorneys will be held at the First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal on Monday, May 6, 2019.


So approved rate was 21%, with some number of those not yet approved either needing to pass MPRE or C&F. Brutal.


So all the info we get is that 21% were approved and zero info on the total number that passed? Seems pretty clear the goal is to limit the passage rate while continuing to collect retaker fees. I can definitely get onboard with the conspiracy theory that retaker essays are graded separately and harsher than first time takers.

Flalwyer

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Flalwyer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Yeah. That’s all the information the Supreme Court gives anyone. The Court obscures repeat information. If you look at the state school breakdown that either the Court of the FBOBE publishes you will see the caveat that it’s only for first time test takers.

maxwell1

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby maxwell1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

I passed. Hard to believe because I walked out of there thinking I failed for sure. I previously passed CA, KY, and Ohio on my first try and this was by far the hardest bar I have taken. The Florida distinctions are insane and the multiple choice I felt like I guessed on 50%. Not a pleasant experience made less pleasant by the venue, the extended waiting to get through security, to get into the examination room, and failure to start on time.

Based on what I saw in the PDF, there are a number of people who passed but are not cleared to be admitted. In my case its because my background investigation and MPRE are not completed. I'm sure someone will do the actual numbers at some point but overall, I'm guessing the passage rate will be in the low 40s. That just does't seem right to me.

For those who weren't lucky today. You will get it next time and don't let this arbitrary nonsense keep you from getting where you want to go.

User avatar
Jmart082

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Flalwyer wrote:Yeah. That’s all the information the Supreme Court gives anyone. The Court obscures repeat information. If you look at the state school breakdown that either the Court of the FBOBE publishes you will see the caveat that it’s only for first time test takers.

This is a sweet racket they’ve got going on. It’s unfortunate that my future is inextricably tied up in it. Them’s the breaks, though.

johngotti

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
Flalwyer wrote:Yeah. That’s all the information the Supreme Court gives anyone. The Court obscures repeat information. If you look at the state school breakdown that either the Court of the FBOBE publishes you will see the caveat that it’s only for first time test takers.

This is a sweet racket they’ve got going on. It’s unfortunate that my future is inextricably tied up in it. Them’s the breaks, though.


1270 of the 1869 that sat for the bar were repeat takers. I assume the data in the tweet below is using the agreed upon repeater data (35-39% of repeaters pass). 6 out of every 10 people there in February failed which just seems nuts. I'm really gonna have to take a hard look at myself to determine if I can deal with this again in July.
https://twitter.com/BarProfessors/statu ... 9312703489

Common stock

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Common stock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Licensed in another state and it was my first time taking the FL bar. I passed the mbe portion and failed Fl.

Can anyone that has been through this let me know what to expect in regards to next steps?

I know I have to wait for the letter from the bar, but in terms of the application....do I need to do all that shit all over again? Because I might vomit. Or is it a condensed version? And then on Top of that I have to pay the full price again?

I’m just sick right now.

TIA

Smiddywesson

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Common stock wrote:Licensed in another state and it was my first time taking the FL bar. I passed the mbe portion and failed Fl.

Can anyone that has been through this let me know what to expect in regards to next steps?

I know I have to wait for the letter from the bar, but in terms of the application....do I need to do all that shit all over again? Because I might vomit. Or is it a condensed version? And then on Top of that I have to pay the full price again?

I’m just sick right now.

TIA


https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c006d8209

Bottom line: The re-examination application isn't a big deal, and you are going to be ok.

Smiddywesson

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Common stock wrote:Licensed in another state and it was my first time taking the FL bar. I passed the mbe portion and failed Fl.

Can anyone that has been through this let me know what to expect in regards to next steps?

I know I have to wait for the letter from the bar, but in terms of the application....do I need to do all that shit all over again? Because I might vomit. Or is it a condensed version? And then on Top of that I have to pay the full price again?

I’m just sick right now.

TIA


Sorry, I didn't answer your question. No, you don't need to do everything all over again. You can just retake the section you failed.
I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not a total loss, you passed half the bar and only have half to go. It's time to celebrate what you did right, it's all good. https://www.jdadvising.com/failed-the-florida-bar-exam/



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests