Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
BlondeLawyer

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby BlondeLawyer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Not sure how easy this exam would be compared to last July. However, the curve may have been worse. Most of my friends at Nova failed. Friends at UF and FSU passed. Interested to see how those who passed scored on both parts.

Question: What information do they provide people who fail the Bar?

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?

SaiyanRose

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SaiyanRose » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

yennem wrote:I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?


Have you tried Jonathan Grossman/Whatstheissue?

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:
I suspect it’s extremely rare that someone who did well in law school and put in “thousands of hours” of studying for the bar fails the bar

That was in reference to your time in law school (insinuating it was meaningless), but obviously just hyperbole.

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:52 pm

BlondeLawyer wrote:Not sure how easy this exam would be compared to last July. However, the curve may have been worse. Most of my friends at Nova failed. Friends at UF and FSU passed. Interested to see how those who passed scored on both parts.

Question: What information do they provide people who fail the Bar?

subject (not content) breakdown of Part A, nothing at all for B.

FLBAR0718

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FLBAR0718 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Omerta wrote:
Derek Vinyard wrote:
staygolden wrote:First time taker here. Passed both parts and will be sworn in tonight. I used Barbri. #F1ULaw


FWIW... My lsat was plain terrible. I busted my butt off this summer doing ~2500 Adaptibar Questions as a supplement to Barbri and it truly paid off. I finished about 65% of Barbri’s course and did Adaptibar religiously the last two weeks.


I did the same thing. Out of state test taker here and I used adaptibar with a couple books I bought on ebay (S & T). I did every adaptibar question. There were over 1900 questions. In order to get to the last few questions I had to keep making custom exams and eventually I was able to answer every question. I answered over 70% correct, also and would have been qualified for a free adaptibar retake had I not used that program before. This time around, one thing I did differently with adaptibar is answer 30 questions a day (no less than that). Every night or morning before I answered my next 30 questions I printed out only the ones I got wrong and went over them with a pen. At some point in my prep, I started doing timed practice exams with 65 questions and then printed out the ones I got wrong only. Then I eventually did a 100 question set. Near the last couple weeks I did 200 questions just like a full mbe. Then when I ran out of adaptibar questions I used S&T. I answered every question in that book as well.

Also, the pass rate this time around was 67.2% for first time test takers. Last year it was 71.3% So, those of us who passed this time around obviously took a more difficult exam. I do think the essays were more difficult last year though.


There are some big YoY differences. Like compare the pass rate for practicing attorneys. That group has a bigger age range, and everyone in it already passed a bar exam somewhere else, so it seems like it should have less YoY variation. This year, the passage rate was 68.2%. Last July, it was 77.4%. July 2016 was 68.9%, and July 2015 was 69.6%. Maybe last year was easier than normal.


Another point: a lot of practicing attorneys aren’t included in that percentage because we were able to transfer in our MBE and just take Part A. The attorneys that are probably most likely to pass (passed the last bar within the last 25 months) were excluded.

staygolden

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby staygolden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 am

Jonathan Grossman taught at fiu my last semester. 100% recommend him. Use Adaptibar and you will do great. He is truly the best at preparing for the bar exam.

You have this!!

#shutupandpickit

florida2015

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby florida2015 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am

First-time taker here. I passed both parts and I'll be sworn in on Thursday.

Stats: 147 lsat, 2.2 GPA, and a 69 on the barbri midterm.

What I Used:
BarBri - I completed 98% of it; I completed 3,060 online questions (includes the MBE Workshop questions from MPQ). I also did 200 questions (half day and whole day exams) from the FLT book, and I did 200 questions from the MPQ book. After the midterm, I went through every single review video and I wrote down what to look for in each question in the booklet.

Adaptibar - I only did around 400 questions. I love the questions but I don't like the fact that they don't have a printed book. I used adaptibar in the beginning and I think the app is great! I transitioned to supplements that utilize paper questions to simulate the testing environment. I listened to the lectures and downloaded them onto my phone. Jon Grossman is awesome!

PMBR - I did the 3-day review course book, which had 200 questions in it. I poured over every single answer explanation and highlighted what the applicable rule was for the answer. I had other people quiz me on the answers once I went over them. I also did this for the test questions from the FLT book with Barbri.

*My school was gracious enough to pay for Adaptibar and PMBR for all students taking the July 2018 exam.

Mgl

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Mgl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am

SaiyanRose wrote:
yennem wrote:I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?


Have you tried Jonathan Grossman/Whatstheissue?


Please don’t despair. Reading your post moved me. I graduated law school 21 years ago and practiced law for 16 years until I retired 5 years ago. Thought it might be fun to take the Florida bar as I was Bored and I wanted to take on some pro bono work. . Well it was far from fun but I am here to tell you Themis was awesome. I had to start from scratch on all subjects except Family as I was a divorce lawyer and NJ is not all that different than Florida. I remembered nothing from civ pro, con law or any of the MBE subjects. Even evidence was foreign to me as even though I was a litigator, the rules of evidence are merely suggestions in real life . ( ha just kiddin-ish) . In any event, do not despair and I highly recommend Also, I read something in an Emanuel book which rang so true for me. They call it playing the MBE game. I really took that to heart. Read that strategy. I still don’t know what my MBE score is but I passed both parts at 50 years old. You will prevail.

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am

Did anyone get their breakdown? just checked the mail and nothing from the FL Bar. I Live in Tampa.

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Mgl wrote:
SaiyanRose wrote:
yennem wrote:I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?


Have you tried Jonathan Grossman/Whatstheissue?


Please don’t despair. Reading your post moved me. I graduated law school 21 years ago and practiced law for 16 years until I retired 5 years ago. Thought it might be fun to take the Florida bar as I was Bored and I wanted to take on some pro bono work. . Well it was far from fun but I am here to tell you Themis was awesome. I had to start from scratch on all subjects except Family as I was a divorce lawyer and NJ is not all that different than Florida. I remembered nothing from civ pro, con law or any of the MBE subjects. Even evidence was foreign to me as even though I was a litigator, the rules of evidence are merely suggestions in real life . ( ha just kiddin-ish) . In any event, do not despair and I highly recommend Also, I read something in an Emanuel book which rang so true for me. They call it playing the MBE game. I really took that to heart. Read that strategy. I still don’t know what my MBE score is but I passed both parts at 50 years old. You will prevail.


Thank you for this MGL, I poured my heart into this exam, and honestly im shocked that I failed... But im gathering all the paperwork together now to re-apply for the 7th time. I plan on using Themis this time around as well.

staygolden

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby staygolden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Results just came in the mail for me in Florida:

146 Part A (Florida part)

140 Part B (MBE)

Omerta

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Omerta » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Got mine, too. Part A: 155 (Florida). Part B: 149 (MBE).

As I posted in the other thread, I worked full-time until 2 weeks before the exam and crammed for two weeks. Wouldn’t recommend it, but that’s what happens when you bill 200+ for the two months before the bar.

SaiyanRose

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SaiyanRose » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm

I passed both sections. I am a repeat taker with a 136 LSAT (International Student). I failed both sections the first time by around 7 points. I'll tell you what I did different this time and fortunately it worked (for me).

1. Anticipate an essay subject. I'm not saying just to say "Oh I think Torts is going to be tested for sure, so I'll prepare for that"...No. What I'm saying is
once you think you're ready for the BAR, sit down and make a list of essay subjects you don't want to get tested on, either because you didn't take the class in school or because you're weak on it. I was really weak on Dependency so I prepared for it in case they decided to go that route and they did. Put yourself in a situation where they throw at you the worst possible essay subjects. Had I not done that, my Dependency answer would have been a blank spot.

2. MBE: Jonathan Grossman's Whatstheissue is amazing. I wouldn't have passed the MBE if I wasn't following my gut and "shutting up and picking it."
I did 25-30 questions a day getting anything between 62-68% on a good day. A bad day would be a constant 50%. I used the practice questions from the MBE Barbri Books. I didn't use Adaptibar this time around but I do recommend it. If you're curious, I didn't use it because I did around 2,000 Adaptibar questions the first time and when I started using it again for the second time I was getting pretty much the same questions I did with a few new ones so I decided to stop because I was recognizing the question, remembered what went wrong and chose the right answer. I felt I wasn't being honest to myself.

3. I prepared using The Mini Conviser Book from Barbri and I completed 0% of the Barbri online program. I didn't like the way they teach so it was a no-go since day one. This is "Barbri's lectures in a nutshell": https://youtu.be/0Jbzv6b8U88?t=6s

4. Florida Multiple Choice: When I sat down for the Bar the first time and saw the FL Multiple Choice questions I knew I wasn't passing that section. So, I told myself if I was to retake it, I would prepare myself to get the points from the two subjects I was absolutely sure they were going to get tested and those are FL Crim Pro and FL Civ Pro. I pretended I was going to get those two subjects tested as essays so I dedicated more time to those two.

Mgl

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Mgl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm

yennem wrote:
Mgl wrote:
SaiyanRose wrote:
yennem wrote:I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?


Have you tried Jonathan Grossman/Whatstheissue?


Please don’t despair. Reading your post moved me. I graduated law school 21 years ago and practiced law for 16 years until I retired 5 years ago. Thought it might be fun to take the Florida bar as I was Bored and I wanted to take on some pro bono work. . Well it was far from fun but I am here to tell you Themis was awesome. I had to start from scratch on all subjects except Family as I was a divorce lawyer and NJ is not all that different than Florida. I remembered nothing from civ pro, con law or any of the MBE subjects. Even evidence was foreign to me as even though I was a litigator, the rules of evidence are merely suggestions in real life . ( ha just kiddin-ish) . In any event, do not despair and I highly recommend Also, I read something in an Emanuel book which rang so true for me. They call it playing the MBE game. I really took that to heart. Read that strategy. I still don’t know what my MBE score is but I passed both parts at 50 years old. You will prevail.


Thank you for this MGL, I poured my heart into this exam, and honestly im shocked that I failed... But im gathering all the paperwork together now to re-apply for the 7th time. I plan on using Themis this time around as well.


You are welcome. If you wish you may Message me here and I would be happy to provide the occasional moral support privately. I wish to tell you and any of you new lawyers reading this that you have chosen an incredibly honorable profession.

Marslunar12

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Marslunar12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello 2nd time taker and I failed by 5 points (first time by 10). Is it possible take each part at different times after you’ve sat for the exam already? With two kids — it may be easier and more successful this way. TIA

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 pm

So weird.... I still didnt get my scores. I live in Tampa, everyone else I asked in Tampa recieved theres yesterday. mailman just left again with nothing from the bar examiners.

Anyone else not recieve theres?

someonewhopassed

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby someonewhopassed » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Part A: 158
Part B: 160

Very thrilled with my performance. Message me in you need tips and tricks. I would be glad to help out anyway that I could.

Deng890

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Deng890 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Stats

Part A: 152
Part B: 170

Still in shock at my MBE score, thought I had totally screwed the pooch on that one. Maybe I should quit practicing law and become an MBE tutor.

Molj1987

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Molj1987 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Part A: 167
Part B: 169

SaiyanRose

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SaiyanRose » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Some of your grades are fishy...

Molj1987

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Molj1987 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:53 pm

SaiyanRose wrote:Some of your grades are fishy...


How so, exactly?

SoFlolawyer

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SoFlolawyer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Mgl wrote:
SaiyanRose wrote:
yennem wrote:I'm in need of some real help here... I took this thing 6 times, I work full time, and usually can only take off for 2 weeks max (this includes the tues and wed of the exam). I have 2 kids and im the only source of income for my family. Everything that goes towards my bar exam is money borrowed in which I owe interest...

Has anyone taken Themis as a retaker and passed? I am thinking about taking 6 weeks nonpaid leave to be done with this exam... I'm waiting for the breakout score tomorrow, but usually im 1-3 points from passing each time.

Any advice?

I CAN HELP YOU!! Look at this YouTube video of my student, James. He failed the Florida bar FOUR times before using my system. He just got sworn in. He's a lawyer now. I scored a 159, and if you follow my program, you will pass. Best, Jennifer http://www.thefordmethod.com (there are a few student testimonial videos from July 2018 students on my site.) Jennifer@thefordmethod.com [If you can't afford tuition, because obviously you've already spent $$thousands, I will still help you.]
https://youtu.be/W1xzlni3Bqg.
Have you tried Jonathan Grossman/Whatstheissue?


Please don’t despair. Reading your post moved me. I graduated law school 21 years ago and practiced law for 16 years until I retired 5 years ago. Thought it might be fun to take the Florida bar as I was Bored and I wanted to take on some pro bono work. . Well it was far from fun but I am here to tell you Themis was awesome. I had to start from scratch on all subjects except Family as I was a divorce lawyer and NJ is not all that different than Florida. I remembered nothing from civ pro, con law or any of the MBE subjects. Even evidence was foreign to me as even though I was a litigator, the rules of evidence are merely suggestions in real life . ( ha just kiddin-ish) . In any event, do not despair and I highly recommend Also, I read something in an Emanuel book which rang so true for me. They call it playing the MBE game. I really took that to heart. Read that strategy. I still don’t know what my MBE score is but I passed both parts at 50 years old. You will prevail.

SoFlolawyer

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby SoFlolawyer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:38 pm

BlondeLawyer wrote:Not sure how easy this exam would be compared to last July. However, the curve may have been worse. Most of my friends at Nova failed. Friends at UF and FSU passed. Interested to see how those who passed scored on both parts.
No
Question: What information do they provide people who fail the Bar?

They break everything down, and tell you your score, in each subject, raw and scaled. I can help your friends: See a few of my student's July 2018 Florida bar student video testimonials. www.thefordmethod.com Here's Daniel https://youtu.be/JoKeEfBH0z4 He's an out of state student who knew zero Florida law before my course. And, James, he passed on the 5th attempt with my program: https://youtu.be/W1xzlni3Bqg. Jennifer@thefordmethod.com

Brit0512

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:58 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Brit0512 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:14 am

I unfortunately failed with a 131/137. Now at this point it’s like well I passed MBE but barely passed it seems, so I’m struggling with should I just take FL over or try for overall method. At first I was just thinking to take Part A over because I can honestly stay I didn’t go over enough essays AT ALL and know if I would have I would have done better on them if I had focused even just the slightest more on them and maybe actually had looked at Family Law more than a second. I can easily say that I know that FL family law/dependancy essay screwed me because I’m sure like others I was not expecting it. I scored well over the mean for essay 1 and right around the mean for essay three but extremely below for the family law/dependancy one. My m/c was right at the mean for everthing except for evidence :| My raw score was a 149.5 for part A and I’m wondering is everyone scaled down the same amount of points. Can people post how many points their score went down by, because I’m curious if everyone gets scaled down differently.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests