Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:Does anyone know of any essay predictions?

no one knows crap, but this is from a bar prep rep:


The Bar Examiners have become unpredictable however some trends still remain. The best plan of action is to be well-rounded on exam day, but it certainly does not hurt to also focus effort on a more-probable tested subject. Our research, and sources, suggest: Commercial Paper, Family Law, Federal Con Law, Real Property, Corporations (not Partnerships), Wills, Civil Procedure, and Criminal Procedure.

hockeyman969

Bronze
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Predictions, haha. All I can say is Article 9 is in fashion, though i passed after getting slapped around by family law last july with some statute that wasn't taught. Know it all and don't gamble, oh yeah they threw a little florida civil procedure on the family law essay too!

Omerta

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Omerta » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

For MC, I just hope they test evidence. For essays, I'd love to see the trend of duplicating MBE subjects continue. Dependency, family law, and trusts would not be enjoyable. I haven't even looked at those yet.

Good luck to everyone next week. Feel free to PM me if you're taking the bar and want to grab lunch or meet up for a post-bar drink. Offer open to all, but no talking about the bar allowed.

kiadak231

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby kiadak231 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 am

Ugh is how I feel about those predictions. I don't know if they would go a year without having evidence though, seems to be at least once a year.

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 pm

kiadak231 wrote:Ugh is how I feel about those predictions. I don't know if they would go a year without having evidence though, seems to be at least once a year.



Agreed.... and I hate Evidence, let alone FL distinctions.

fuuuuuuuuuu

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby fuuuuuuuuuu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm

I passed the Florida bar a few years ago, first try. I thought I was completely screwed on the Florida portion. Did not know anything on the essays. Constantly bombed the MCs (like... high 40% and low 50% on all the practice questions on Barbri, because lol) because I could not remember the Florida distinctions.

Got a 136 on the MBE and 170 on Florida. I made up the law on two of the essays based on what I vaguely remembered of the law. Just put down coherent sentences and make sure you cry lawyer tears all over examsoft. If all else fails, word vomit and throw the kitchen sink at the essays. It will somehow be okay as long as you don't panic.

I may just be an anecdote, but there is still hope for all of you who have diligently studied.

If you plan to take UBE after Florida, godspeed. The MEE will seem like a cakewalk compared to Florida.

Omerta

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Omerta » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am

fuuuuuuuuuu wrote:I passed the Florida bar a few years ago, first try. I thought I was completely screwed on the Florida portion. Did not know anything on the essays. Constantly bombed the MCs (like... high 40% and low 50% on all the practice questions on Barbri, because lol) because I could not remember the Florida distinctions.

Got a 136 on the MBE and 170 on Florida. I made up the law on two of the essays based on what I vaguely remembered of the law. Just put down coherent sentences and make sure you cry lawyer tears all over examsoft. If all else fails, word vomit and throw the kitchen sink at the essays. It will somehow be okay as long as you don't panic.

I may just be an anecdote, but there is still hope for all of you who have diligently studied.

If you plan to take UBE after Florida, godspeed. The MEE will seem like a cakewalk compared to Florida.


That's good to hear, because I literally haven't done a single essay (or even looked at the outline for one yet). But I have very tight distributions on the multiple choice: 72-80% on the MBE practice questions and 70-76% on the Florida MC (with one 64% and one 94%).

Then again, I'm not a diligent student--I billed 200+ in May and June, so that didn't exactly leave a lot of study time.

FLBAR0718

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FLBAR0718 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Anyone else only taking the FL part and worried about getting completely screwed over by the board?

Also, does anyone have any advice regarding lunch? I heard there isn’t much nearby.

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm

kiadak231 wrote:Ugh is how I feel about those predictions. I don't know if they would go a year without having evidence though, seems to be at least once a year.

They tested evidence in February 2018 (and Feb 2017).

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:22 pm

not guilty wrote:
kiadak231 wrote:Ugh is how I feel about those predictions. I don't know if they would go a year without having evidence though, seems to be at least once a year.

They tested evidence in February 2018 (and Feb 2017).



If they Test Evidence...im screwed! I just cant get it... its my weakest subject.

florida2015

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby florida2015 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:02 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:Anyone else only taking the FL part and worried about getting completely screwed over by the board?

Also, does anyone have any advice regarding lunch? I heard there isn’t much nearby.


For a quick lunch, hit up Jackson's Bistro or the Waterside Grill at the Marriott. Or you can try to catch something at The Sail Pavilion if it isn't packed with people. I would pack a lunch and/or grab something on Monday night to keep in your car or hotel, just in case. Channelside has slim pickings when it comes to close and quick food options.

Good luck!!

Omerta

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Omerta » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Good luck to all!

Not that it matters but, for posterity, here are my predictions:

MC - Business entities and evidence distinctions.
Essays - Torts, trusts or Florida conlaw, some combo of real property/contracts/secured transactions. Very low likelihood that dependency, family law, or commercial paper make an appearance.

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:01 pm

"stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when fearing "imminent death or great bodily harm" without a duty to try to escape the danger.

ill just leave this here...

johngotti

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby johngotti » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

yennem wrote:"stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when fearing "imminent death or great bodily harm" without a duty to try to escape the danger.

ill just leave this here...



Inside info?

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:23 pm

johngotti wrote:
yennem wrote:"stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when fearing "imminent death or great bodily harm" without a duty to try to escape the danger.

ill just leave this here...



Inside info?


haha no I wish... but they do frequently test on current events. So I can see a con law/crim law/pro - some contracts/A3 or A9 and property. All with PR.

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Re: July 2018 Predictions

Essay most-likely to least-likely guesses:

1. Contracts
2. Torts
3. Trusts
4. Family/Dep.
5. Fed Const.
6. Prop
7. Commercial A3
8. Fla Const.
9. Secured A9
10. Criminal

MC: I'm guessing Biz & Evidence or Wills & Evidence before I'd pick Biz/Wills.

Previous exams:

Feb 2018 wills evidence
*July 2017 Biz wills
Feb 2017 biz evidence
July 2016 wills evidence
Feb 2016 biz evidence
July 2015 wills evidence
*Feb 2015 Biz wills
July 2014 biz evidence
Feb 2014 wills evidence
July 2013 biz evidence
*Feb 2013 biz wills
July 2012 Biz Evidence
Feb 2012 wills evidence
July 2011 wills evidence
Feb 2011 biz evidence
July 2010 biz evidence

*only 3 without evidence

hockeyman969

Bronze
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby hockeyman969 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 am

not guilty wrote:Re: July 2018 Predictions

Essay most-likely to least-likely guesses:

1. Contracts
2. Torts
3. Trusts
4. Family/Dep.
5. Fed Const.
6. Prop
7. Commercial A3
8. Fla Const.
9. Secured A9
10. Criminal

MC: I'm guessing Biz & Evidence or Wills & Evidence before I'd pick Biz/Wills.

Previous exams:

Feb 2018 wills evidence
*July 2017 Biz wills
Feb 2017 biz evidence
July 2016 wills evidence
Feb 2016 biz evidence
July 2015 wills evidence
*Feb 2015 Biz wills
July 2014 biz evidence
Feb 2014 wills evidence
July 2013 biz evidence
*Feb 2013 biz wills
July 2012 Biz Evidence
Feb 2012 wills evidence
July 2011 wills evidence
Feb 2011 biz evidence
July 2010 biz evidence

*only 3 without evidence


On essays I think you're wrong about A9, it is trending and has popped up more often on a national level. Then again I'm not sitting for a bar exam this time, if I were then there is a sure fire chance A9 comes up.

BlondeLawyer

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby BlondeLawyer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Curious to know, what were the essays for Florida today?

simocm11

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby simocm11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Contracts/Ethics. Dependency. Fed con law. Pretty straightforward stuff

Omerta

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Omerta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Omerta wrote:Good luck to all!

Not that it matters but, for posterity, here are my predictions:

MC - Business entities and evidence distinctions.
Essays - Torts, trusts or Florida conlaw, some combo of real property/contracts/secured transactions. Very low likelihood that dependency, family law, or commercial paper make an appearance.


Well, right on the multiple choice and correct in that some form of conlaw was on the exam. Very wrong in that they tested family law/dependency again.

I don't have any interest in ruminating on the answers, but I do want to share my immediate thoughts for other administrations. IMO, the multiple choice were significantly easier than the Themis practice MC. Additionally, while I didn't count them up, it seemed like there were maybe 6-10 crimpro questions--significantly fewer than I expected. I thought there'd be more of a balance between civpro and crimpro. Also, there were a whopping 0 questions on LLCs and LLPs.

There were probably 2-5 questions on really nitpicky things and I had no idea what the answer was.

All in all, felt fine after the essays, felt awesome after the MC.

FLBAR0718

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby FLBAR0718 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 pm

The essays were not that easy. However, I agree that most of the MC was straight forward. Many people left with like an hour or so remaining.

Themis has long fact patterns. The bar had questions similar to what was in the practice packet provided by the board. Short and sweet.

yennem

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby yennem » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Hopefully I make it above the line this time... I wasnt prepared for the 2nd and 3rd essay.

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby not guilty » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Thoughts on these MC concepts (relax mods, not exact questions):

1. routine practice (like stacking canned goods)?
2. refresh recollection must be written by witness?
3. appeal binding arbitration to circuit?
4. voluntary dismiss of a class action with settlement?
5. answering interrogatories...come get the records?
6. poll jury after discharge?
7. Judge calls own witness, parties cross-examine?
8. depo back to jury deliberations?

micheleeb

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby micheleeb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:01 pm

not guilty wrote:Thoughts on these MC concepts (relax mods, not exact questions):

1. routine practice (like stacking canned goods)?
2. refresh recollection must be written by witness?
3. appeal binding arbitration to circuit?
4. voluntary dismiss of a class action with settlement?
5. answering interrogatories...come get the records?
6. poll jury after discharge?
7. Judge calls own witness, parties cross-examine?
8. depo back to jury deliberations?




1.
This one confused the hell out of me too!

2.
FRE 803(5)(B)
(5) Recorded Recollection. A record that:
(A) is on a matter the witness once knew about but now cannot recall well enough to testify fully and accurately;
(B) was made or adopted by the witness when the matter was fresh in the witness’s memory; and
(C) accurately reflects the witness’s knowledge.
If admitted, the record may be read into evidence but may be received as an exhibit only if offered by an adverse party.

3.
I think I know which one you're referring to and yes, it got me too...

4.
Fed. Civ. Pro. 23(e)(4)
(e) Settlement, Voluntary Dismissal, or Compromise. The claims, issues, or defenses of a certified class may be settled, voluntarily dismissed, or compromised only with the court's approval. The following procedures apply to a proposed settlement, voluntary dismissal, or compromise:
(1) The court must direct notice in a reasonable manner to all class members who would be bound by the proposal.
(2) If the proposal would bind class members, the court may approve it only after a hearing and on finding that it is fair, reasonable, and adequate.
(3) The parties seeking approval must file a statement identifying any agreement made in connection with the proposal.
(4) If the class action was previously certified under Rule 23(b)(3), the court may refuse to approve a settlement unless it affords a new opportunity to request exclusion to individual class members who had an earlier opportunity to request exclusion but did not do so.
(5) Any class member may object to the proposal if it requires court approval under this subdivision (e); the objection may be withdrawn only with the court's approval


5.
Fed. Civ. Pro. 33(d)
(d) Option to Produce Business Records. If the answer to an interrogatory may be determined by examining, auditing, compiling, abstracting, or summarizing a party's business records (including electronically stored information), and if the burden of deriving or ascertaining the answer will be substantially the same for either party, the responding party may answer by:
(1) specifying the records that must be reviewed, in sufficient detail to enable the interrogating party to locate and identify them as readily as the responding party could; and
(2) giving the interrogating party a reasonable opportunity to examine and audit the records and to make copies, compilations, abstracts, or summaries.

6.
Fed. Crim. Pro. 31(d)
(d) Jury Poll. After a verdict is returned but before the jury is discharged, the court must on a party's request, or may on its own, poll the jurors individually. If the poll reveals a lack of unanimity, the court may direct the jury to deliberate further or may declare a mistrial and discharge the jury.


7.
FRE 614
(a) Calling. The court may call a witness on its own or at a party’s request. Each party is entitled to cross-examine the witness.
(b) Examining. The court may examine a witness regardless of who calls the witness.
(c) Objections. A party may object to the court’s calling or examining a witness either at that time or at the next opportunity when the jury is not present.

8.
I cannot find the precise rule, but jury is not entitled to take depositions or transcripts to deliberations.

cal_pushed

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby cal_pushed » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:12 pm

micheleeb wrote:
not guilty wrote:Thoughts on these MC concepts (relax mods, not exact questions):

1. routine practice (like stacking canned goods)?
2. refresh recollection must be written by witness?
3. appeal binding arbitration to circuit?
4. voluntary dismiss of a class action with settlement?
5. answering interrogatories...come get the records?
6. poll jury after discharge?
7. Judge calls own witness, parties cross-examine?
8. depo back to jury deliberations?




1.
This one confused the hell out of me too!

2.
FRE 803(5)(B)
(5) Recorded Recollection. A record that:
(A) is on a matter the witness once knew about but now cannot recall well enough to testify fully and accurately;
(B) was made or adopted by the witness when the matter was fresh in the witness’s memory; and
(C) accurately reflects the witness’s knowledge.
If admitted, the record may be read into evidence but may be received as an exhibit only if offered by an adverse party.

3.
I think I know which one you're referring to and yes, it got me too...

4.
Fed. Civ. Pro. 23(e)(4)
(e) Settlement, Voluntary Dismissal, or Compromise. The claims, issues, or defenses of a certified class may be settled, voluntarily dismissed, or compromised only with the court's approval. The following procedures apply to a proposed settlement, voluntary dismissal, or compromise:
(1) The court must direct notice in a reasonable manner to all class members who would be bound by the proposal.
(2) If the proposal would bind class members, the court may approve it only after a hearing and on finding that it is fair, reasonable, and adequate.
(3) The parties seeking approval must file a statement identifying any agreement made in connection with the proposal.
(4) If the class action was previously certified under Rule 23(b)(3), the court may refuse to approve a settlement unless it affords a new opportunity to request exclusion to individual class members who had an earlier opportunity to request exclusion but did not do so.
(5) Any class member may object to the proposal if it requires court approval under this subdivision (e); the objection may be withdrawn only with the court's approval


5.
Fed. Civ. Pro. 33(d)
(d) Option to Produce Business Records. If the answer to an interrogatory may be determined by examining, auditing, compiling, abstracting, or summarizing a party's business records (including electronically stored information), and if the burden of deriving or ascertaining the answer will be substantially the same for either party, the responding party may answer by:
(1) specifying the records that must be reviewed, in sufficient detail to enable the interrogating party to locate and identify them as readily as the responding party could; and
(2) giving the interrogating party a reasonable opportunity to examine and audit the records and to make copies, compilations, abstracts, or summaries.

6.
Fed. Crim. Pro. 31(d)
(d) Jury Poll. After a verdict is returned but before the jury is discharged, the court must on a party's request, or may on its own, poll the jurors individually. If the poll reveals a lack of unanimity, the court may direct the jury to deliberate further or may declare a mistrial and discharge the jury.


7.
FRE 614
(a) Calling. The court may call a witness on its own or at a party’s request. Each party is entitled to cross-examine the witness.
(b) Examining. The court may examine a witness regardless of who calls the witness.
(c) Objections. A party may object to the court’s calling or examining a witness either at that time or at the next opportunity when the jury is not present.

8.
I cannot find the precise rule, but jury is not entitled to take depositions or transcripts to deliberations.


2. Recorded Recollection, is not the same as recollection refreshed. May refresh a W memory with anything. Absolutely anything. The thing is not admitted. 803(5)B is a hearsay exception, to admit a document that satisfies the requirements stated therein. Not the same.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a male human, Google Adsense [Bot], rcharter1978 and 10 guests