Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RC76

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by RC76 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm

why do you say that? Trusts, Family Law, and FL con law were all tested Feb 2017.
redsox550 wrote:also its pretty obvious to me that family law and FL con law wil be tested... just based off of historical chart, probably with trusts

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:39 pm

RC76 wrote:why do you say that? Trusts, Family Law, and FL con law were all tested Feb 2017.
redsox550 wrote:also its pretty obvious to me that family law and FL con law wil be tested... just based off of historical chart, probably with trusts
Not Family. Pretty sure it was Property, Trusts and FL Con and last time fam law was teated was feb 15 so we are def due.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Young Marino wrote:
RC76 wrote:why do you say that? Trusts, Family Law, and FL con law were all tested Feb 2017.
Not Family. Pretty sure it was Property, Trusts and FL Con and last time fam law was teated was feb 15 so we are def due.
Family law was tested feb 2017,

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:56 pm

family law has only been tested once in last 4 years. when outside of those 4 years it is tested more than 50% of the time

same hodls true with con law, especially becuase it looks like it gets tested in back to back years

same with trusts, but a little less likely

IDK everything is ripe for testing this year, maybe till be a jam of everything

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 pm

ok i know this is basic shit, but it would be super helpful if someone can describe in plain english when article 9 / secured transactions applies vs. article 3 / commercial paper.

My understanding is this:

if someone is enforcing a security interest in something (does it only apply to goods, or land also) then article 9

if someone just made a note saying, i owe X 10g . then that is article 3

if someone makes a note that says i owe X 10g and because of this i will grant security interest - only article 3?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Art 9 applies to security interests in tangible and intangible goods, you will want to make sure you know the categories. Tangible (Equipment, Consumer Goods, Farming, Inventory) and Intangible (Instruments, Documents, Chattel Paper, Investment Property, Accounts, Deposit Accounts, Commercial tort claims and general intangibles). Article 9 does not apply to land.

So lets say a promissory note (which is an instrument category under art 9) is in issue. Article 3 and article 9 could both apply. It just depends on what you are trying to do with the promissory note. Article 3 would apply if you are trying to seek payment for the note, determine liability on the note, or bringing a claim for a breach of contract or warranty regarding the note. Article 9 would apply if someone has a security interest in that note as collateral for a debt and now wants the note because you defaulted.
redsox550 wrote:ok i know this is basic shit, but it would be super helpful if someone can describe in plain english when article 9 / secured transactions applies vs. article 3 / commercial paper.

if someone is enforcing a security interest in something (does it only apply to goods, or land also) then article 9

if someone makes a note that says i owe X 10g and because of this i will grant security interest - only article 3?

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 pm

redsox550 wrote:ok i know this is basic shit, but it would be super helpful if someone can describe in plain english when article 9 / secured transactions applies vs. article 3 / commercial paper.

Article 9 for a note + security interest too, that's article 9 if a security interest. But chattel paper can also be straight up negotiated too under art 3.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:10 am

Any body know if we can bring in gum or mints. I know there's a list of things we can bring and a list of things we can't bring, but neither is on there. When I took Maryland last year it was the same "list" and they allowed us gym and mints.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 am

i'm finding the answer for this hard to find. Is the FL MC worth the same as all 3 essays combined. Pretty much is the FL score 50% essays 50% MC?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 am

We did indeed have family law in Feb 17, determination of paternity and child support as a sub issue and brought about as a question about whether the exception to spendthrift trusts applies in relation to hubby, where a mother and son come out of nowhere.

Acknowledgement of paternity and both tests applicable, as mom would need to get judgment for child support before commencing an action to enforce the judgment...not writing an essay here.

Point is we could get double screwed with a prenup and pro res issue too...never know never count anything out....dont believe in bar examiner patterns. I didn't and passed, others did, as Van Halen states in "Right Now" "only missed by a fraction"

redsox550 wrote:

family law has only been tested once in last 4 years. when outside of those 4 years it is tested more than 50% of the time

same hodls true with con law, especially becuase it looks like it gets tested in back to back years

Last edited by hockeyman969 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 am

Pass302 wrote:Any body know if we can bring in gum or mints. I know there's a list of things we can bring and a list of things we can't bring, but neither is on there. When I took Maryland last year it was the same "list" and they allowed us gym and mints.

In NY we were allowed drinks with no labels and snacks in non Ziploc snack baggies, gonna be different. Better pound my double shots in the property room...caffeine up baby!

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 am

hockeyman969 wrote:
Pass302 wrote:Any body know if we can bring in gum or mints. I know there's a list of things we can bring and a list of things we can't bring, but neither is on there. When I took Maryland last year it was the same "list" and they allowed us gym and mints.

In NY we were allowed drinks with no labels and snacks in non Ziploc snack baggies, gonna be different. Better pound my double shots in the property room...caffeine up baby!
Yup! Gotta get a good nights rest.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:12 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:We did indeed have family law in Feb 17, determination of paternity and child support as a sub issue and brought about as a question about whether the exception to spendthrift trusts applies in relation to hubby, where a mother and son come out of nowhere.

Acknowledgement of paternity and both tests applicable, as mom would need to get judgment for child support before commencing an action to enforce the judgment...not writing an essay here.

Point is we could get double screwed with a prenup and pro res issue too...never know never count anything out....dont believe in bar examiner patterns. I didn't and passed, others did, as Van Halen states in "Right Now" "only missed by a fraction"

redsox550 wrote:

what does "pros res" stand for?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Unbelievable how lazy the Bar Programs are with these outlines. Why not write out a fresh outline with all Florida law? They take the damn MBE outlines and then add Florida points or do distinctions, not to mention I'm noticing mistakes.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Just took practice essay exam and finding I know the general law really well but am having a hard time picking up on the tiny little issues. I know the sample answer is like the 100/100 answer, but kinda wanna know what a passing essay looks like. How many issues can we miss to get 50?

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 pm

redsox550 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:We did indeed have family law in Feb 17, determination of paternity and child support as a sub issue and brought about as a question about whether the exception to spendthrift trusts applies in relation to hubby, where a mother and son come out of nowhere.

redsox550 wrote:

what does "pros res" stand for?
Professional responsibility

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Anyone taking Barbri struggling with the FL Civ/Crim Pro Questions? I am taking Kaplan and am comfortable with those questions, but the Barbri ones seem to be very nuanced. Just trying to figure out if I really don't know anything. :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Pass302 wrote:Anyone taking Barbri struggling with the FL Civ/Crim Pro Questions? I am taking Kaplan and am comfortable with those questions, but the Barbri ones seem to be very nuanced. Just trying to figure out if I really don't know anything. :shock:
I bombed set 6 today. Barbri has gotten more nuanced as the course has gone along and crim is one of my stronger subjects. The target score was 10/18 on that last set btw which is 55% so they know they are making it hard on purpose. So stupid.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 am

Young Marino wrote:
Pass302 wrote:Anyone taking Barbri struggling with the FL Civ/Crim Pro Questions? I am taking Kaplan and am comfortable with those questions, but the Barbri ones seem to be very nuanced. Just trying to figure out if I really don't know anything. :shock:
I bombed set 6 today. Barbri has gotten more nuanced as the course has gone along and crim is one of my stronger subjects. The target score was 10/18 on that last set btw which is 55% so they know they are making it hard on purpose. So stupid.

They make it exceptionally hard and the Florida essay graders are tough as hell too!!!

The same type of essay I would nail at 5/6 Or even a 6/6 for the MEE is getting tagged with a 52. I talked to my rep and made a comment about that and she laughed a little too hard!!!!!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 am

hockeyman969 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:

They make it exceptionally hard and the Florida essay graders are tough as hell too!!!

The same type of essay I would nail at 5/6 Or even a 6/6 for the MEE is getting tagged with a 52. I talked to my rep and made a comment about that and she laughed a little too hard!!!!!
Fuck the essays. I'm going to ride the multiple choice to a passing grade.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 am

lavarman84 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:

Be careful with that strategy, all I'm saying....it is only 175 mbe that count as opposed to 190 before.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:

Be careful with that strategy, all I'm saying....it is only 175 mbe that count as opposed to 190 before.
It doesn't change the weight of the MBE in relation to the essays.

RC76

New

Post by RC76 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Some of these past essays are killing me. I was just reviewing a past Property Question that was 80+% about failing to disclose latent defects and misrepresentation/concealment. There is all of about 2-3 lines of text in my barbri material about that. How is that going to be enough to get through a question like that? These essays have me feeling under prepared.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm

RC76 wrote:Some of these past essays are killing me. I was just reviewing a past Property Question that was 80+% about failing to disclose latent defects and misrepresentation/concealment. There is all of about 2-3 lines of text in my barbri material about that. How is that going to be enough to get through a question like that? These essays have me feeling under prepared.
Look to tort and contract too....intentional or negligent misrepresentation....the bar companies parse them out. If you still don't have crap pm me and ill send you the elements I have along with duties with regard to residential....florida requires sellers of all homrs to disclose latent defects and doesn't limit to new home builders.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm

redsox550 wrote:i'm finding the answer for this hard to find. Is the FL MC worth the same as all 3 essays combined. Pretty much is the FL score 50% essays 50% MC?
Yes. Grading is basically a secret, but if you go back a few pages you will see people trying to figure it out. It appears to boil down to even.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”