Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
passx3

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by passx3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:10 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
passx3 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:Does anyone know if Florida gives you your MBE score if you passed?
They do. Based on prior years I think North & Central Florida should expect to get their scores & oath in the mail tomorrow.
Just got it (I'm in S. Florida, Broward County) and there was no MBE score, only the Part A and Part B scaled scores. Was hoping to get a look at that MBE score!
Part B is the scaled MBE score.

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Got my results in the mail today too. I enjoyed pouring over other user's stats to try and find predictive value while I waited on results, so for others who enjoy that I will share my stats.

166 LSAT/4.0 GPA, top 25% at a T1

Kaplan (98.5% completion, did not even look at the FSP plan for the last two weeks, 1,200 practice MBEs)
Adaptibar (73.4% accuracy after 1,500 practice MBEs)
Average Kaplan Essays: Submitted ~9 for grading. Never had an answer that "demonstrated competence." My scores ranged from 37 to 49, mostly ~42.
Kaplan Part A simulation: 60/100 MCQs
Kaplan MBE Midterm: 135/200 raw
Kaplan MBE Final: 148/200 raw (kaplan predicted +15 for scaling, 163 final MBE predictor)

I felt bad about Part A, thought I failed it by a few points. Felt good about MBE.

Actual Part A Score: 164.0
Actual Part B Score: 167.0
Last edited by passx3 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Took barbri. 140 on simulated and 76 on final review. 88% complete. 158 in Florida and 166 on mbe.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Where do we mail our oath of attorney? To the Florida Supreme Court or the Florida board of bar examiners ?

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:54 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:Where do we mail our oath of attorney? To the Florida Supreme Court or the Florida board of bar examiners ?
Where do I send my completed oath?
If you are authorized to be sworn in, you must send your properly executed oath to the board’s office at 1891 Eider Court, Tallahassee, FL 32399-1750, within 90 days of the letter authorizing you to be sworn in.

https://www.floridabarexam.org/web/webs ... 0B006AA3F4

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Anyone who received their Part A scores back..... Please post your scores for all the sections and what your overall for Part A was. Thanks.

kishy

New

Post by kishy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:54 am

941law wrote:Anyone who received their Part A scores back..... Please post your scores for all the sections and what your overall for Part A was. Thanks.
What do you mean, "all the sections"? I only got a part A and part B score: No breakdown of Fl essay and FL m/c. Just squeaked by with 141 on A and 143 on the MBE. Just happy that I passed!

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:11 pm

kishy wrote:
941law wrote:Anyone who received their Part A scores back..... Please post your scores for all the sections and what your overall for Part A was. Thanks.
What do you mean, "all the sections"? I only got a part A and part B score: No breakdown of Fl essay and FL m/c. Just squeaked by with 141 on A and 143 on the MBE. Just happy that I passed!
If you fail, I think they give you a breakdown of each essay score and how many questions you got right for each topic covered on the MCQ. All you get when you pass is your overall scaled scores for Part A and Part B.

tclcsw1

New

Post by tclcsw1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Does anyone have any Florida bar prep materials they're looking to sell? I'd be interested - I recently accepted a job in FL, and have to prep for the Feb exam. Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

I am planning on taking the July 2017 Florida bar and was wondering if anyone had left over outlines that I could look at. I am a barred Maryland attorney and working full-time, so I am trying to get a bit of a head start on the FL Law. Thanks!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Good luck.

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:26 pm

How's everyone feeling? Any predictions?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 pm

soooooooo, what were the essays and mc subjects?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Essay 1 - FL Con Law (awful) and Torts
Essay 2 - Property, Contracts, Ethics
Essay 3 - Trusts, Family, Ethics

MC: Corporations, Evidence, Procedure

At least I think so. Not totally sure. Wow, that was rough. :shock:

Nagol

New

Post by Nagol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 pm

I can attest to the above, it was genuinely awful. Glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Nagol wrote:I can attest to the above, it was genuinely awful. Glad I am not the only one feeling this way.
Not by far. Is my above recollection right? That's what I talked about anyway lol. What the hell did you write for the first essay?? Also, what time are you getting there tomorrow? Hoping the MBE will be better than the FL day!

Nagol

New

Post by Nagol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, I think you nailed the major topics. The first essay was a mess, I put what ever I could remember about counties down and without getting too specific anything else relevant I could think of that may apply. I don't want to get too specific until at least after the MBE tomorrow, I want to limit the amount of bad vibes until after the mbe lol.

edited for time, I will probably get up at the same time I did today, 640 just to check out of the hotel and what not. I was thinking about going in later since we don't get badges but I'll probably just drive a bit slower on the way and maybe grab a coffee this time. I opted for caffeine pills today to limit the amount of bathroom time but I was fine on time so I may splurge tomorrow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 am

wow, they finally went back to Trusts and Fla Con Law. Took long enough.

and family.

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm

not guilty wrote:wow, they finally went back to Trusts and Fla Con Law. Took long enough.

and family.
Yup. Unfortunately, everyone thought if/when they returned to FL Con, it would be a Homestead question. This was not. Made up some BS to get me through but it was rough.

bingo002

New

Post by bingo002 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Yeah, the essays were rough. The first essay I think the majority of people bombed from everyone I talked with. Constitution Revision Committee question with defamation, etc.
Business entities, Civ Pro, Crim Pro, Evidence -with three questions written incorrectly was tough.

jetson

New

Post by jetson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Has anyone stayed in the Marriott Courtyard for the FL bar exam? I just booked it, and want to make sure it's a good hotel for the exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 pm

jetson wrote:Has anyone stayed in the Marriott Courtyard for the FL bar exam? I just booked it, and want to make sure it's a good hotel for the exam.

I'm pretty sure I stayed there for the July 2013 bar. It was fine. A lot of us walked from there to the convention center. The only thing that sucked was the train going by and blowing its horn at like 3 AM every night.

Mjohn008

New

Post by Mjohn008 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 pm

(After reading some of these posts, I see some of my questions already have been addressed, but I'm still going to keep it posted. Forgive me for being repetitive, but while I see some of my issues have been addressed, I'd like a more clear-cut answer.)

This is my first post on this forum, and I have some general questions on how I did on the Florida Bar Exam for February 2017. I'll try to break them down as much as I can and hope I can get some straightforward answers, since most of what I am reading is confusing.

To give you a little background:

I first took the FL Bar exam in July 2016: my scaled score was 135.5 (Part A= 130, Part B= 141). I took Barbri and almost exclusively focused on MBE practice questions and focused very little on the FL section. Due to the fact I work a full-time and a part-time job (no more financial aide so I've gotta pay the bills) I was unable to devote the 8-10 a day for bar prep, so I had to squeeze in studying when I could and MBE practice questions are easy when I'm on the go, especially since I can do them on my Smartphone.

Needless to say, I did relatively decent on the MBE, but my essays were terrible and I was ok on the FL multiple choice. So this time I focused primarily on my essay writing, and tried to fit in more time to study for FL overall. Also, I decided to re-take the MBE again, because I hoped to use that as a backup to pass on the overall score in case my FL score was marginal. I was scoring a minimum of 70-80% on MBE questions, and I just didn't think that, given my time restraints on study time, I was confident enough to pass the FL section outright.

Needless to say, on Part A I did the exact opposite that I did the last time: I felt I did decent on the essays, but feel I did relatively poorly on the FL Multiple Choice, because the topics tested were those I had glossed over but didn't really go in-depth with studying. However, I'm confident I far exceeded my MBE score than from the last time. Most of the questions were spot-on from my practice questions, so I was extremely confident I did well. In fact, if I get below a 150 on the MBE, I'd be genuinely shocked. Which leads me to my questions:

1.) Can anyone provide a simplified answer on how the raw vs. scaled scoring works?

2.) I've heard some discrepancies regarding the grading for the Overall method. Since I solely used Barbri both times, I am under the impression that you should shoot for a 126, since you should get at least a 10 point bump. Does that mean I should hope I got a 126 on each part, or a 126 after they have averaged both scores in order to get the extra points?

3.) Lastly, assuming I did extremely well on the MBE (let's say 155+), would I have any chance of succeeding Overall if I scored poorly on the FL section (I'd be lucky if I got a score of 115 or above)? I've heard they scale up for the FL section, and scale down for the MBE. So if I did extremely well on MBE, will that hurt me on the FL side if there's a huge discrepancy between the 2 sections?

This is why I'm really wondering where they do the curve and the scaling, either individually on each part of after they have averaged the two.

Any insight would put my mind at ease.

gamma ray charles

New

Post by gamma ray charles » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 am

Hello all,

I wish this thread was a little more active, since I'd like to know more about how others are feeling after the February Bar Exam. Personally, I am beyond worried, seeing as the essays on this session seemed very difficult (especially the FL Con Law one). Reading other's thoughts would probably bring some ease over the next 5 or so weeks we have to wait.

Anyway, I've found a formula that I think is accurate in predicting what your score will be on Part A, if you can guesstimate the points you got on the essays and MC. Basically, you take all of the points you received for the essays, add them up, and divide by three. Then add the amount of MC you got right to that number. Then add 45-48 points for the curve and you will get a rough approximation of what your score will be. I've applied the formula to all the raw scores posted here and elsewhere, and compared them to the actual results folks got, and it seems pretty accurate within 1-2 points.

Mjohn008

New

Post by Mjohn008 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 pm

How do you determine the points for the essays? Are they 100 points apiece (total 300) or are they all cumulatively 100 points? I've heard different things from different sites and forums.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”