Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legal10101

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by legal10101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

Nikip_1115 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:Today is the day!! Good luck to everyone!
I may actually pass out! I'm over here sweating like a sinner in church.

Hahaha...I know! But...do we know a time? I've heard 9am and 2pm. I don't know if I can make it til 2pm...
I believe 9am. Good Luck everyone

PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! So if I still need to take MPRE do I have to wait to be sworn in or is there like a window?

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:26 am

legal10101 wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:Today is the day!! Good luck to everyone!
I may actually pass out! I'm over here sweating like a sinner in church.

Hahaha...I know! But...do we know a time? I've heard 9am and 2pm. I don't know if I can make it til 2pm...
I believe 9am. Good Luck everyone

PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! So if I still need to take MPRE do I have to wait to be sworn in or is there like a window?

Congratulations. I don't believe you can be sworn in until after the MPRE. They will usually send you the window in your letter. Typically it is two years from the date of passing any part of your exam.

sinfolaw

New

Post by sinfolaw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:47 am

PASSED! Big weight off my shoulders.

Does anyone know whether we have to wait to receive our letter and oath from the Florida Bar before we can be sworn in, or if we can be sworn in by a judge before that time?

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm

sinfolaw wrote:PASSED! Big weight off my shoulders.

Does anyone know whether we have to wait to receive our letter and oath from the Florida Bar before we can be sworn in, or if we can be sworn in by a judge before that time?
I think you have to wait for the oath...maybe it needs to be signed. BUT...I'm thinking it comes quickly.

I passed, too, and I came to ask if anyone knew how long that stuff takes to arrive. I think I've heard it goes in mail the morning they post (so today?).

Congrats!

sinfolaw

New

Post by sinfolaw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:10 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:

I think you have to wait for the oath...maybe it needs to be signed. BUT...I'm thinking it comes quickly.

I passed, too, and I came to ask if anyone knew how long that stuff takes to arrive. I think I've heard it goes in mail the morning they post (so today?).

Congrats!
Thanks, you as well!

For some reason I was under the impression that we'd receive the materials the same day as the results were posted, and now I feel like a jackass for emailing a Judge's assistant asking about being sworn in tomorrow. She did ask me whether I'd be providing my own oath, so maybe there's a way they can do it before we receive our own, but I'm not sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jwashere

New

Post by Jwashere » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

One and done. :D
Congrats to everyone who passed and a special shout out to the rest of my FIU peers.

FWIW, FIU is having their swearing in ceremony tomorrow.

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 pm

sinfolaw wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:

Congrats!
Thanks, you as well!

For some reason I was under the impression that we'd receive the materials the same day as the results were posted, and now I feel like a jackass for emailing a Judge's assistant asking about being sworn in tomorrow. She did ask me whether I'd be providing my own oath, so maybe there's a way they can do it before we receive our own, but I'm not sure.

Oath was mailed today (usually the day results are released) so maybe this week. You need it to be signed to be sworn in. Congrats

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Passed as well! Congrats to everyone else who passed too!

Does anyone know whether they tell us our MBE score in the letter they sent out?

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 pm

the FL Supreme Court tweeted that the overall pass statistics for July 2016 were posted but I can't seem to find it. anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:08 pm

pdwannabe wrote:the FL Supreme Court tweeted that the overall pass statistics for July 2016 were posted but I can't seem to find it. anyone know?
They posted the letter on their facebook page... looks like 68%

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:27 pm

I passed as well. Congrats to everyone who passed, and hang in their to those who did not. Its a tough exam. Best of luck to everyone.

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:29 pm

I PASSED THIS ROUND! Will update when I get scores.

not guilty wrote:
legal10101 wrote:

Ok... I've been stalking... My score in Feb
58/48/23..12/16/15.... Raw 172 Scale 131.... How in the $&/: do we have the same scaled score????

Legal10101 MC: 43; Essays: 129 = Raw 172 Scale 131

Sgttpc: MC: 46; Essays: 116 = Raw Score 162, Scaled 131

Sgttpc beat you in multiple choice. Let's say a MC point is actually worth 3, then he beat you by 9 points.

So legal10101 beat Sgttpc in the morning by 13 points and Sgttpc beat Legal10101 in the afternoon by 9 points. 4 point raw difference before they do any further scaling/manipulation. Not too far fetched for you guys to both be at 131 when it's all calculated.

Best way to pass the bar is to grab 50% all around on MC and essays or 45% & 55% in favor of MC not essays.

Kbreezy0788

New

Post by Kbreezy0788 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Happy to say I passed my first time. Any lurkers on this thread looking for advice or tips [which I did for 7 weeks] please don't be shy. This was a huge hurdle and I would love to help others overcome it. PM me or just respond to this post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Congrats to all those who passed! Please consider posting your real v. practice MBE scores in this thread, as well as your feelings about the MBE:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=268924

It's comforting to those who still may be waiting for results and helpful for those who may now be retaking it in February.
Last edited by squiggle on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Kaplan rep said that the overall (not just 1st time takers) passing rate was below 50%? That's insane if true.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Kbreezy0788 wrote:Happy to say I passed my first time. Any lurkers on this thread looking for advice or tips [which I did for 7 weeks] please don't be shy. This was a huge hurdle and I would love to help others overcome it. PM me or just respond to this post.

The thread welcomes advice from anyone that passed. Especially unique advice.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:51 pm

not guilty wrote:
Kbreezy0788 wrote:Happy to say I passed my first time. Any lurkers on this thread looking for advice or tips [which I did for 7 weeks] please don't be shy. This was a huge hurdle and I would love to help others overcome it. PM me or just respond to this post.

The thread welcomes advice from anyone that passed. Especially unique advice.
Hope you passed not guilty !

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:12 pm

I'll wait for my scores to come in before I offer any real advice. I passed both sections but I don't know what the points look like at this point.

I will say that I only had a vague idea of Florida law & distinctions and I passed the Florida section. It's likely that the essays saved me, I just wrote a ton. The more volume you write, the more chance there is for the grader to give you points. Just keep writing. Even if you don't have anything left to say, just do a few extra sentences of analysis. "Party X will argue. Party Y will respond. In rebuttal, Party X would say. This will not be persuasive because." The guy who writes 12,000 characters of fluff probably scores significantly higher than the guy who writes a 7,000 character opus.

As far as MBE, I felt very comfortable after doing 1200 Kaplan questions, the entire Kaplan MBE program, and 1500 adaptibar questions. I knew I got a bunch wrong, but I probably got 75% and nothing blind-sided me.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:44 pm

sinfolaw wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:

Congrats!
Thanks, you as well!

Well...I saw someone else post they were being sworn in tomorrow...so maybe if you provide your own?? But I would think you still have to return whatever they send us. It's been a few months...what is a few more days?! :-D

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:
sinfolaw wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:

Congrats!
Thanks, you as well!

Well...I saw someone else post they were being sworn in tomorrow...so maybe if you provide your own?? But I would think you still have to return whatever they send us. It's been a few months...what is a few more days?! :-D
I went back through this thread to July 2015, it took two days for the oaths to reach Central Florida. So realistically if you are in North or Central Florida you should be able to be sworn on Thursday... that's the plan for me at this point.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am

Does anyone know if Florida gives you your MBE score if you passed?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jwashere

New

Post by Jwashere » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

pdwannabe wrote:the FL Supreme Court tweeted that the overall pass statistics for July 2016 were posted but I can't seem to find it. anyone know?
"The Florida Board of Bar Examiners released the results for first-time takers of the July 2016 general bar examination. Florida International led the state's law schools with a pass rate of 87.5%. The results are shown below.

Florida International, 87.5% (98 of 112)

Miami, 80.6% (199 of 247)

Stetson, 80.5% (165 of 205)

Florida State, 78.8% (119 of 151)

Florida, 78.6% (209 of 266)

Lawyers licensed in other states, 68.9% (184 of 267)

FLORIDA law schools' average, 68.8% (1197 of 1741)

OVERALL average, 68.2% (1650 of 2421)

Ave Maria, 66.7% (24 of 26)

NON-FLORIDA law schools' average, 65.1% (269 of 413)

Nova Southeastern, 63.0% (119 of 189)

FAMU, 52.9% (36 of 68)

Florida Coastal, 51.9% (83 of 160)

Barry, 49.0% (75 of 153)

St. Thomas, 45.5% (70 of 154)"

http://www.sunethics.com/ba---fla-bar-exam-results.html

passx3

New

Post by passx3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:06 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:Does anyone know if Florida gives you your MBE score if you passed?
They do. Based on prior years I think North & Central Florida should expect to get their scores & oath in the mail tomorrow.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:09 pm

passx3 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:Does anyone know if Florida gives you your MBE score if you passed?
They do. Based on prior years I think North & Central Florida should expect to get their scores & oath in the mail tomorrow.
Just got it (I'm in S. Florida, Broward County) and there was no MBE score, only the Part A and Part B scaled scores. Was hoping to get a look at that MBE score!

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Barbri

120/200 barbri simulated midterm
73/100 final barbri review
85% complete

160 - Part A
154 - Part B

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.