Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

gamma ray charles

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby gamma ray charles » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Mjohn008 wrote:How do you determine the points for the essays? Are they 100 points apiece (total 300) or are they all cumulatively 100 points? I've heard different things from different sites and forums.

Each one is worth 100 for a total of 300. But that 300 points is later scaled, so to speak, to be equal to the 100 points you can get on the MC.

Mjohn008

Postby Mjohn008 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 pm

That clears up alot, thanks.

gamma ray charles

Postby gamma ray charles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

For anyone who would like to relive their essay writing glory, or have a PTSD flashback, the essay questions are now available at: https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c00756f05

amtornberg

Postby amtornberg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

gamma ray charles wrote:Hello all,

I wish this thread was a little more active, since I'd like to know more about how others are feeling after the February Bar Exam. Personally, I am beyond worried, seeing as the essays on this session seemed very difficult (especially the FL Con Law one). Reading other's thoughts would probably bring some ease over the next 5 or so weeks we have to wait.

Anyway, I've found a formula that I think is accurate in predicting what your score will be on Part A, if you can guesstimate the points you got on the essays and MC. Basically, you take all of the points you received for the essays, add them up, and divide by three. Then add the amount of MC you got right to that number. Then add 45-48 points for the curve and you will get a rough approximation of what your score will be. I've applied the formula to all the raw scores posted here and elsewhere, and compared them to the actual results folks got, and it seems pretty accurate within 1-2 points.

Agreed. I think the essays were particularly difficult. Even what seemed like straight forward topics (trusts) had strange twists that didn't fall squarely into my outline. The FL Con Law essay was impossible - my answer was definitely a "kitchen sink" approach - throw everything I could think of out there and see what sticks. I went back through the Themis big outline and found exactly 2 paragraphs about charter counties, so even the commercial bar prep companies didn't see that coming. Hoping I get enough analysis points to carry. I found the FL MC to be even more difficult than the essays. That was a real crap shoot.

Anyone know what time on the 10th our results are posted? My boss is already giving me a hard time.

MultiStateLawyer

Postby MultiStateLawyer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 am

This is completely accurate for scaling for PART A. Obviously PART B is just the MBE scaled scoring ranges depending on the curve (it will be interesting now that 25 are throw away v. 10 throw away). So, at this point, we aren't sure the new scaling for the MBE when only 175 count nowadays.

Anyways, PART A

FL MC -- 90/100 Questions count. Scoring is based out of 100 points. Each section scores RAW on 30 points.
FL Essays -- Each Essay really is worth about 30-33 Points. So when you see your score (i.e. 50) that's really the percentage. That percentage should be used on a 30 point scale. Thus, if you got an essay score of 50, you really got a 15/30.

So here's a breakdown Sample:

Essay 1: 50 (15/30)
Essay 2: 60 (18/30)
Essay 3: 75 (22.5/30)
FL MC 1: 17/30
FL MC 2: 18/30
FL MC 3: 25/30
TOTAL: 115/180
SCALED SCORE: 160.5-163.5

I hope this helps.

I wish this thread was a little more active, since I'd like to know more about how others are feeling after the February Bar Exam. Personally, I am beyond worried, seeing as the essays on this session seemed very difficult (especially the FL Con Law one). Reading other's thoughts would probably bring some ease over the next 5 or so weeks we have to wait.

Anyway, I've found a formula that I think is accurate in predicting what your score will be on Part A, if you can guesstimate the points you got on the essays and MC. Basically, you take all of the points you received for the essays, add them up, and divide by three. Then add the amount of MC you got right to that number. Then add 45-48 points for the curve and you will get a rough approximation of what your score will be. I've applied the formula to all the raw scores posted here and elsewhere, and compared them to the actual results folks got, and it seems pretty accurate within 1-2 points.

MultiStateLawyer

Postby MultiStateLawyer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 am

Scores GENERALLY come out around 9:00 A.M. It won't be on the Florida Bar Website you used for applying for the Bar Exam. The actual results are submitted on http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/bars ... ndex.shtml

Additionally, the results are going to be released based on your Applicant ID (the original one you have, which is listed on any correspondence from the Board of Bar Examiners and is a 5 digit number).

You can start checking results probably around 8:30 a.m. and refreshing the page until results are submitted.

amtornberg wrote:

Agreed. I think the essays were particularly difficult. Even what seemed like straight forward topics (trusts) had strange twists that didn't fall squarely into my outline. The FL Con Law essay was impossible - my answer was definitely a "kitchen sink" approach - throw everything I could think of out there and see what sticks. I went back through the Themis big outline and found exactly 2 paragraphs about charter counties, so even the commercial bar prep companies didn't see that coming. Hoping I get enough analysis points to carry. I found the FL MC to be even more difficult than the essays. That was a real crap shoot.

Anyone know what time on the 10th our results are posted? My boss is already giving me a hard time.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”