Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
941law

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 am

Question: if you pass Florida and fail MBE (or vice versa) can you retake both parts at no risk of losing your passing score in the passing part?

Edit:

An applicant who attains a passing scaled score on one part may elect to take the Overall Method without jeopardizing that passing status. The applicant will retain the passing status even if he or she on a subsequent administration does not achieve a passing score on the part previously passed.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 am

Good to know, but I probably won't have the luxury of having passed either soooooo lol

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:33 am

LAW813FL wrote:Good to know, but I probably won't have the luxury of having passed either soooooo lol

I don't want to sound elitist, but there were kids from Ave Maria in there. At least 70% of the people in that room passed. I think we'll be fine.

Bubbles 4 Life

Gold

Post by Bubbles 4 Life » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

Last edited by Bubbles 4 Life on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

M_n_M wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:Good to know, but I probably won't have the luxury of having passed either soooooo lol

I don't want to sound elitist, but there were kids from Ave Maria in there. At least 70% of the people in that room passed. I think we'll be fine.
+1. As much as I feel like I fucked that shit up hard sometimes, I remember that it's just about being competent.
Hopefully, if I pass it will be because I took a shot in the dark on that wrongful death sol, which Kaplan never taught me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 pm

For all you current takers who are freaked out about Florida M/C. I took the 2012 bar and legit guessed on like 40 questions and still passed by a comfortable margin. You all did fine.

joloyolo

New

Post by joloyolo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

LAW813FL wrote:
M_n_M wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:

+1. As much as I feel like I fucked that shit up hard sometimes, I remember that it's just about being competent.
Hopefully, if I pass it will be because I took a shot in the dark on that wrongful death sol, which Kaplan never taught me
No it wont.

Tennis Dude

New

Post by Tennis Dude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Q2 I went to poundtown on crim pro (12 jurors, grand jury idictment, direct appeal to FL Supreme Court- all that capital crime shit; also ∆ had to give notice of intent to use an insanity defense, namedropped M'Naughten, the burden for competency vs. insanity defense) + search & seizure (namedropped FL express right to privacy, so on).
I hate to be a jerk, but your FL constitutional/search and seizure analysis here could use some tweaking. The Florida Constitution's express right to privacy has never been used or applied in the search and seizure context in a criminal case. This is because the Florida Constitution is unique in that it has its own version of a search and seizure amendment that the FL Supreme Court has held is meant to track the US Supreme Court's jurisprudence of the federal constitution's 4th amendment both prospectively and retroactively.

I hate to sound like an elitist, but perhaps us Ave Maria kids aren't all that incompetent?

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Tennis Dude wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Q2 I went to poundtown on crim pro (12 jurors, grand jury idictment, direct appeal to FL Supreme Court- all that capital crime shit; also ∆ had to give notice of intent to use an insanity defense, namedropped M'Naughten, the burden for competency vs. insanity defense) + search & seizure (namedropped FL express right to privacy, so on).
I hate to be a jerk, but your FL constitutional/search and seizure analysis here could use some tweaking. The Florida Constitution's express right to privacy has never been used or applied in the search and seizure context in a criminal case. This is because the Florida Constitution is unique in that it has its own version of a search and seizure amendment that the FL Supreme Court has held is meant to track the US Supreme Court's jurisprudence of the federal constitution's 4th amendment both prospectively and retroactively.

I hate to sound like an elitist, but perhaps us Ave Maria kids aren't all that incompetent?
Don't be that guy. I understand you're butthurt because someone pointed out Ava Marie's not so great bar passage rate, but seriously don't be that guy.

And so you don't get cute, I'm referring to last year (July 2014) when barely half of sitting grads passed. Not the Feb 2015 when 10 of 12 passed.
Last edited by conn09 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tennis Dude

New

Post by Tennis Dude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:11 pm

conn09 wrote:
Tennis Dude wrote:

Don't be that guy. I understand you're butthurt because someone pointed out Ava Marie's not so great bar passage rate, but seriously don't be that guy.
Shut up. Our law school was started by a Domino's pizza mogul. You all are just jealous.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Tennis Dude wrote:
conn09 wrote:
Tennis Dude wrote:

Shut up. Our law school was started by a Domino's pizza mogul. You all are just jealous.
Can you tell him to bring back the old thin crust?

Tennis Dude

New

Post by Tennis Dude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:31 pm

conn09 wrote:
Tennis Dude wrote:
conn09 wrote:
Tennis Dude wrote:

Can you tell him to bring back the old thin crust?
I agree with you. I am a big fan of their new recipe (not really new anymore, circa 2010), but yes, the newer thin crust isn't so great. It is too flaky/crispy, and so the cheese and toppings don't really stick to the crust itself and fall off by the time I have driven the pizza back with a 2-liter of mountain dew to my sad, dark apartment strewn with fast food wrappers in a flyover state in the midwest. If you are watching your weight, it's almost not worth it.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Anybody else kinda run outta time discussing Edwin's issues in the first essay?

I spent 15 mins just trying to read that nonsense, and another half hour piecing together the formation issues in the first two buyers. By the time I got to Edwin I just threw down some stuff about Marketable Title, Unilateral/Bilateral Mistake, and Misrepresentation.

I'm pretty sure I frontloaded on basic shit and missed out in a lot points w Edwin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Tennis Dude wrote:

You read a lot of nonsense into the words "namedropped FL express right to privacy," didn't you? Do they award stickers for imaginative responses at the One, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic Pizza Law School?

My reference to FL's express right to privacy was like twelve words, the majority of which pointed out that the right is subject to FL/4th Amendment search & seizure rules.
Last edited by Geaux12 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Cydiego wrote:Anybody else kinda run outta time discussing Edwin's issues in the first essay?

I spent 15 mins just trying to read that nonsense, and another half hour piecing together the formation issues in the first two buyers. By the time I got to Edwin I just threw down some stuff about Marketable Title, Unilateral/Bilateral Mistake, and Misrepresentation.

I'm pretty sure I frontloaded on basic shit and missed out in a lot points w Edwin.
Ditto.... Spent way too much time there. Then thru together Essay 2 (terrible job mind you).

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:01 pm

legal10101 wrote:
Cydiego wrote:Anybody else kinda run outta time discussing Edwin's issues in the first essay?

Ditto.... Spent way too much time there. Then thru together Essay 2 (terrible job mind you).
I definitely had a spastic, nervous response trying to answer the first question of the first section of the first day of the bar exam. Suddenly, I'm all weird and unsure about K formation. Thankfully I got my shit together on Q2 but I left a lot of points on the table with Q1.

Anyone have exam horror stories they saw/heard going down?

1) the girl behind me was bawling crying during the FL MCQs. I felt bad for her...but full disclosure, it made me feel a little better knowing that someone else thought the questions were ridiculous.

2) a classmate of mine sat next to a kid who showed up the morning of day 2 and asked "today is the FL day, right?" Apparently he'd answered all of yesterday's questions with MBE law. Left after 15 minutes in day 2. I'm not sure why, he probably could have gotten plenty of points since the essay subjects were all MBE topics.

727FLBar

New

Post by 727FLBar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Just wanted to pop in and write some stuff that may help any future FL takers:

1) If you're doing Themis, buy someone's old bar bri FL MCQ questions. The Themis FL MCQ questions are just awful. Bar Bri's were right on the money
2) No reason to be at the convention center before 8 am
3) Taking the bar really isn't that bad. The tough part is putting in the long hours of studying
4) If I could go back in time I would have spent just about all my time doing MCQ questions over and over again. I thought the lectures were great while I was watching them, but I didn't realize until later that I actually learned the material by doing the MCQ questions.
5) If you like flash cards, the critical pass flash cards are awesome for the MBE. You could easily pass just by using the critical pass flash cards and doing a bunch of MCQ questions.
6) Themis far exceeded my expectations. Just make sure you get your hands on bar bri's FL MCQ questions. I would have been up a creek without a paddle if I just relied on Themis' questions

Overall, I thought the bar was pretty fair. I was definitely freaked out going in, but it really isn't that bad. And this was all said before I got my results (pretty sure I passed).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 pm

727FLBar wrote:Just wanted to pop in and write some stuff that may help any future FL takers:

1) If you're doing Themis, buy someone's old bar bri FL MCQ questions. The Themis FL MCQ questions are just awful. Bar Bri's were right on the money
3) Taking the bar really isn't that bad. The tough part is putting in the long hours of studying
4) If I could go back in time I would have spent just about all my time doing MCQ questions over and over again. I thought the lectures were great while I was watching them, but I didn't realize until later that I actually learned the material by doing the MCQ questions.
5) If you like flash cards, the critical pass flash cards are awesome for the MBE. You could easily pass just by using the critical pass flash cards and doing a bunch of MCQ questions.
6) Themis far exceeded my expectations. Just make sure you get your hands on bar bri's FL MCQ questions. I would have been up a creek without a paddle if I just relied on Themis' questions

Overall, I thought the bar was pretty fair. I was definitely freaked out going in, but it really isn't that bad. And this was all said before I got my results (pretty sure I passed).
Please give us an update on the fairness factor around sept. 21st. I think the MBE is fair in the sense that it's somewhat predictable. But florida is anything but fair in my opinion.

727FLBar

New

Post by 727FLBar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37 am

Cydiego wrote:
727FLBar wrote:Just wanted to pop in and write some stuff that may help any future FL takers:

Please give us an update on the fairness factor around sept. 21st. I think the MBE is fair in the sense that it's somewhat predictable. But florida is anything but fair in my opinion.
We all knew going in the FL MCQ was going to be a shit show. Not to mention it is set up to be inherently fair: 2k+ people on a curve, and everyone is taking the same test. I'll be the first to admit that I had to choose between two good answers for a lot of questions on the MBE/FL, but I still think both tests were pretty damn fair. And the essays were very fair, imo.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 am

727FLBar wrote:
Cydiego wrote:

We all knew going in the FL MCQ was going to be a shit show. Not to mention it is set up to be inherently fair: 2k+ people on a curve, and everyone is taking the same test. I'll be the first to admit that I had to choose between two good answers for a lot of questions on the MBE/FL, but I still think both tests were pretty damn fair. And the essays were very fair, imo.
Essays were fair to me too...we knew they were trying to be more unpredictable and throwing in crim law and ethics on every essay is better than what that curveball could have been. With that being said, would have liked a traditional fl con law or trusts essay

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Given the choice, I would have picked the same exact exam. I just had no way of knowing beforehand that I didn't ACTUALLY know Florida Wills.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 am

Geaux12 wrote:Given the choice, I would have picked the same exact exam. I just had no way of knowing beforehand that I didn't ACTUALLY know Florida Wills.
Same, I didn't even brush up on wills before the test because I thought it was my best subject and I really thought wed get trusts. I didn't do terrible but I definitely should have done better on those.

ResIpsa305

New

Post by ResIpsa305 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Totally missed the "parent company"of AutoCo (or whoever it was that AutoCo got their cars from) in Essay #3 as a potential Defendant in Negligence and/or Strict Liability. I'm hoping I'm not the only one...

I've been kicking myself for that. I was pretty rushed/frantic at that point -- especially after spending so much time on Essay #1 and then having to think about Essay #2 for a while to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me about Sub Crim being on the the essay portion.

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 pm

ResIpsa305 wrote:Totally missed the "parent company"of AutoCo (or whoever it was that AutoCo got their cars from) in Essay #3 as a potential Defendant in Negligence and/or Strict Liability. I'm hoping I'm not the only one...

I've been kicking myself for that. I was pretty rushed/frantic at that point -- especially after spending so much time on Essay #1 and then having to think about Essay #2 for a while to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me about Sub Crim being on the the essay portion.
Ya that essay was most likely a shit show for everyone considering how much of a monster #1 was.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Random MC question: anybody remember the subsequent remedial question that was offered to prove that it wasn't impractical to make the repair? What was the correct answer?

I think I chose the exception for proving that the remedial measure was possible but it's been bugging me ever since.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”