Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Tony48

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Tony48 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 pm

byag wrote: This is really helpful, thanks. What did your prep look like?
Overall, I pretty much just followed Barbri's schedule with the usual stuff thrown in: flash cards, mnemonic devices, etc. But for Florida, my prep wasn't typical at all. I only did a couple essays; I either outlined them or didn't do them at all (but I did read all of the answers to make sure I was on the right track). And for anyone taking Florida and using Barbri, I would recommend reading the essay answers (where applicable) from the Florida Board of Bar Examiners website instead of the Barbri essay answers. I don't know how other bar prep companies break down essay answers, but Barbri's are unnecessarily long and go into way too much detail. The selected answers on the Board's website give very succinct answers; they tell you exactly what you should have written down and nothing more.

Funnily enough, one of the Barbri lecturers recommended using the Board's essay answers instead of the ones supplied by Barbri. Truth be told, there isn't enough time to write a "Barbri answer" during an actual exam.

Anyway, I only ditched the essay prep because I needed to concentrate on my weaker area: the MBE and the other multiple choice. But Barbri's material will definitely prepare you for the FL portion (and I'd assume the same for Themis and Kaplan). But at the very least, make sure you know the "big picture"/most important rules for each subject (like holder in due course for Commercial Paper, permanency/termination of parental rights for Dependency, equitable distribution/parental responsibility for Family Law, attachment/perfection/priority for Secured Transactions, elements of a trust for Trusts, elements/execution/revocation of wills for Wills, etc.)
lapin wrote: Same... received mine today.
Nice. The wait is over!

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Hahahaha. So, chances are we won't see a commercial paper essay this time around. :evil:

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Its unbelievable how many letters these people send out to everyone to delay things as much as possible. This is evil. :evil:

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Good luck to all.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Good luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 am

Hope you all pass and live to tell the tale

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Soooooo....what did they test? :)

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:43 pm

I've heard:

Fla. Con Law
Juvenile Delinquency
Real Property

But I can't be entirely confident as to the accuracy of this information.

--Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:I've heard:

Fla. Con Law
Juvenile Delinquency
Real Property

Criminal law/ Delinquncy
Florida Con law
Real Property (Mortgages)

It may be because it was the last question, but property seemed more difficult than usual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:
SilvermanBarPrep wrote:I've heard:

Fla. Con Law
Juvenile Delinquency
Real Property

Criminal law/ Delinquncy
Florida Con law
Real Property (Mortgages)

It may be because it was the last question, but property seemed more difficult than usual.
Not that it matters now but I would have much preferred that than Commercial Property/Dependency.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Criminal/Juvenile: robbery, theft, search seizure, possession, Miranda violation, juvenile court, sentencing.

Fla Con Law: rights violations/equal protection issue with each "section." Rational basis or strict scrutiny.

Property/A9: Mortgage, lien, conveyance. Sounds like secured interest discussed.

MC:
wills
Evidence
Crim pro
Civ pro

LSATobsessed

New

Post by LSATobsessed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 am

not guilty wrote:Criminal/Juvenile: robbery, theft, search seizure, possession, Miranda violation, juvenile court, sentencing.

Fla Con Law: rights violations/equal protection issue with each "section." Rational basis or strict scrutiny.

Property/A9: Mortgage, lien, conveyance. Sounds like secured interest discussed.

MC:
wills
Evidence
Crim pro
Civ pro
that definitely was a larceny in the criminal law essay, not a robbery

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 am

LSATobsessed wrote:
that definitely was a larceny in the criminal law essay, not a robbery
I think "petty theft" is the Fla term used, but yeah theft/larceny was a good argument. You also had a chance to argue robbery (lots of case law on that exact fact pattern actually, where a petty theft turns into a robbery because of threat/force).

What was the call of the question? Highest charge, but I forget the exact line?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 am

LSATobsessed wrote: that definitely was a larceny in the criminal law essay, not a robbery
What did you write for Fla Con Law?

LSATobsessed

New

Post by LSATobsessed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am

ok yep, u're right, I looked it up, petty theft + force is a robbery, that's interesting, I talked about larceny, battery, attempt to purchase, posession and then at the end I said that larceny was the most serious.

I went everywhere with the second essay, PS VOTE, endorsement with religion, no granting liability immunity, spending power, talked a lot about public welfare, etc.

kjolaw

New

Post by kjolaw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am

Congrats on completing the Bar exam.

I am taking the bar exam in the Summer. Looking for Bar Prep material. Please txt me at 571-549-1577.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Some friendly advice from a previous taker: over the next few days and weeks, there are going to be a zillion different "answers" floating around. You won't do yourself any favors obsessing over what you wrote vs. what someone else wrote. What's done is done. If you know that you put in the right amount of effort, don't worry about it. I started freaking out over my essay answers after reading someone else's....but it was completely unnecessary because I still passed.

I don't know how common this is but I was completely steady and calm before and during the exam. It was only after the exam when I got a bit crazy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kjolaw

New

Post by kjolaw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Tony48 wrote: It was only after the exam when I got a bit crazy.
No point thinking about something that wont change anything.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:35 pm

LSATobsessed wrote:ok yep, u're right, I looked it up, petty theft + force is a robbery, that's interesting, I talked about larceny, battery, attempt to purchase, posession and then at the end I said that larceny was the most serious.

I went everywhere with the second essay, PS VOTE, endorsement with religion, no granting liability immunity, spending power, talked a lot about public welfare, etc.
Crim:
I wouldn't sweat it too much because the call of the question was pick the "highest crime." You could have made an argument that was not robbery. His mens rea was to buy a beer. He only used force (pushing clerk) to escape. In the real world, they could hit him with robbery, which is weak to me, but on the bar you could have argued with either.

Fla Con:
Spending power, public welfare, ughhhhhhhhhh all great ideas. You know, the Fla Con Law essays typically get into homestead or a rights violation. This question had my brain all over.

Prop:
Fact pattern was bullshit in my opinion. Did you hit on A9? Luckily I only need MBE, because this got ugly for me.

JohnnyBeagle

New

Post by JohnnyBeagle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am

For the first question, did anyone notice the call of the question asked what the most serious crime committed in the convenience store was and do the rules and analysis for false imprisonment and sale of alcohol to a minor to show the clerk was not guilty for those?

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm

I argued larceny was the most serious crime for the first one, since it was in a 24 hour store. i put in the less serious crimes after that. property was difficult. The property question was confusing due to all the parties and assignment and sales of the same property. good to know I wasnt the only person who thought it was difficult. The fact pattern was confusing to say the least. They said the score would be available april 15th or so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 am

I didnt recognize an A9 issue. Was it later on it the fact pattern when they had those 2 guys who got an additional lien on the property? In any case A9 wasnt very obvious to me, since only a condiminium was discussed in the fact pattern.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am

Derek Vinyard wrote:I didnt recognize an A9 issue. Was it later on it the fact pattern when they had those 2 guys who got an additional lien on the property? In any case A9 wasnt very obvious to me, since only a condiminium was discussed in the fact pattern.
I think people touched on A9 due to the debt/interest going from one bank to another. What did you write for Fla Con Law?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:25 am

JohnnyBeagle wrote:For the first question, did anyone notice the call of the question asked what the most serious crime committed in the convenience store was and do the rules and analysis for false imprisonment and sale of alcohol to a minor to show the clerk was not guilty for those?
He didn't sell the beverage. No sale was in the fact pattern, so it wouldn't need to be defended. A merchant can attempt to prevent theft as well, so the Clerk committed no crime.

The first question prompt in essay 1 was attempting to see if you thought the suspect was guilty of petty theft or robbery. You needed to break down the elements of one or both I guess. When you use threat or force to thwart the actual property owner from preventing their property from being taken then you committed a robbery. You could have argued mens rea wasnt satisfied, although I think the mens rea for robbery is just merely wanting to deprive owner of his property.

The second question prompt in essay 1 was about the police encounter. Was the search of the car search incident to arrest from the DWLS, should the cop have been able to go into car, getting into possession (knowledge & control) laws of the MDMA in gym bag, Miranda violation of the suspect after he was in custody and cop questioned him about the MDMA.

The third question prompt in essay 1 was about juvenile or adult court and how sentencing would go. You could have touched on how/when the State can transfer to adult court? Can the State direct file a case to adult court at age 16? If in adult court, how does sentencing work (sentencing guidelines)? In Juvi court the defendant can be found delinquent and then what? Detention of a Juvi can only last how long?

Flo2017bartkr

New

Post by Flo2017bartkr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm

I answered all 3 essays yesterday, when a student sent them to me, if anyone's interested.... The Florida bar releases ALL essays immediately, so no copyright infringement or untoward act....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”