Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

hockeyman969

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby hockeyman969 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm

LuluCoco wrote:I agree the 12 month rule is absolute an issue - I just wish I'd thought to discuss it in my analysis. (All I could remember re: Dependency law was DCF's failure to make diligent search and file affidavit to that effect so I focused on that - I was too panicky to recognize the 12 month issue.) My point was merely that: 1. I don't think the question was just asking about the Safe Haven Law; 2. to the extent the question was asking about the Safe Haven Law, I think one absolutely gets points for discussing issues implicated by that law; and, 3. I don't think there's any absolutely "right" answer to this or any other question.

Also, still really curious about length of some of the model answers - perhaps I am not as fast a typist as I thought. Or are extremely long model answers perhaps from people who had extra time on exam? (Although the fact that so many of the model answers seem to be lengthy seems to make that unlikely, at least statistically.)

Finally, is the fact that the mom and dad/boyfriend had since gotten married significant vis-a-vis a presumption of fatherhood?

I need to just get over this exam and stop obsessing about it - but I feel like it's haunting me!

Dissolution of an LLC and the first multiple issue essay on MEE haunted me. I've learned not to let it kill me, I can name every missed issue from July 2016, but what good will that do?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:36 am

Remember the curve guys. It exists. Not everyone who took the test is a legal eagle like most people on here.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:35 am

robin600 wrote:Remember the curve guys. It exists. Not everyone who took the test is a legal eagle like most people on here.

The board includes extensive validation questions on the MC (you'd be surprised how many arn't real), but just to clarify there's no "curve" the way we're using that word. The board doesn't score essays so that 65% or 70% or some number of people must pass (the absence of a curve partly explains the dramatic decrease in the pass rate over the last few years).

not guilty

Postby not guilty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 pm

wwwcol wrote:
The board includes extensive validation questions on the MC (you'd be surprised how many arn't real), but just to clarify there's no "curve" the way we're using that word. The board doesn't score essays so that 65% or 70% or some number of people must pass (the absence of a curve partly explains the dramatic decrease in the pass rate over the last few years).

"You will not be able to determine any relationship between the total Part A raw score reported to you on the breakdown of scores by subject and your Part A scaled score as the sum of the converted section scores is used in determining the scaled score"

aka no one knows anything for certain.

Flo2017bartkr

Postby Flo2017bartkr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am

hockeyman969 wrote:
LuluCoco wrote:I agree the 12 month rule is absolute an issue - I just wish I'd thought to discuss it in my analysis. (All I could remember re: Dependency law was DCF's failure to make diligent search and file affidavit to that effect so I focused on that - I was too panicky to recognize the 12 month issue.) My point was merely that: 1. I don't think the question was just asking about the Safe Haven Law; 2. to the extent the question was asking about the Safe Haven Law, I think one absolutely gets points for discussing issues implicated by that law; and, 3. I don't think there's any absolutely "right" answer to this or any other question.

Also, still really curious about length of some of the model answers - perhaps I am not as fast a typist as I thought. Or are extremely long model answers perhaps from people who had extra time on exam? (Although the fact that so many of the model answers seem to be lengthy seems to make that unlikely, at least statistically.)

Finally, is the fact that the mom and dad/boyfriend had since gotten married significant vis-a-vis a presumption of fatherhood?

I need to just get over this exam and stop obsessing about it - but I feel like it's haunting me!

Dissolution of an LLC and the first multiple issue essay on MEE haunted me. I've learned not to let it kill me, I can name every missed issue from July 2016, but what good will that do?
hockeyman969 wrote:

I completely agree that "Safe Haven Law" was just one issue, among many issues......It changes the Due Process part, but only that State did not have to "notify" mom, because sje already "agreed" to the adoption. IF she had come forward sooner, sje could have changed her mind...the State would have had to provide her an attorney, and a hearing, etc. She just waited too long. I hate thinking about it too...stressful.

sgd19

Postby sgd19 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm

DWS07224 wrote:If you didn't pass, how will you cope?

find an easier state. failed the exam 3 times and i'm ready to leave. it's almost been virtually impossible for me to find a legal job without that bar license. not even the law clerk jobs are connecting for me so been working in non-legal.

hockeyman969

Postby hockeyman969 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm

sgd19 wrote:

find an easier state. failed the exam 3 times and i'm ready to leave. it's almost been virtually impossible for me to find a legal job without that bar license. not even the law clerk jobs are connecting for me so been working in non-legal.

Lol, I found a resolution by the board to evaluate the UBE and the UBE subjects. I wonder if by some miracle they go UBE whether a passing UBE score trumps a failing Florida local score. Wishful thinking I know lol.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Derek Vinyard wrote:

Get drunk, then take it again in February.

This. Don't even want to give this scenario much thought unless it really happens but my firm said even if I happen to fail this sick joke of a test, I still have a job. No other choice than to get back on the saddle and retake after getting wasted although I really don't want to think about going through that process again.

Same here, which honestly alleviates some of the stress. Would love that new associate salary though, getting married in December and weddings aren't cheap. God willing we're successful and do not have to deal with February. As "unfair" as the exam was I'm not looking for any sympathy if I didn't pass it.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”