Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rkreymer

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by rkreymer » Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:
rkreymer wrote:
FLBAR0718 wrote:I took the UBE in NY in February then took a job in FL recently. I’m finishing up my application for the FL Bar (late, I know), and it asks for a copy of my Bar application from NY. I cannot, for the life of me, find where I can get access to this. I haven’t taken the NYLE or filed any of the admission paperwork/forms, just the initial bar application for the exam. Is it okay to just forward the FL Bar the emails I received from the NY bar stating my application was received and the letter saying I passed?

If I remember correctly, the NY bar application to sit for the bar is only a few pages and takes like 10 minutes to complete so it’s not like it has any information on it.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Thank you in advance for your help.
You should always keep a copy of everything you submit. I think you can request a copy from NCBE.
Thanks. I’m just wondering why you think it would make sense to contact NCBE? I’ll do so on Tuesday but not sure why.

Because you can Request Copy of Prior Application from the NCBE site.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
FLBAR0718 wrote:I took the UBE in NY in February then took a job in FL recently. I’m finishing up my application for the FL Bar (late, I know), and it asks for a copy of my Bar application from NY. I cannot, for the life of me, find where I can get access to this. I haven’t taken the NYLE or filed any of the admission paperwork/forms, just the initial bar application for the exam. Is it okay to just forward the FL Bar the emails I received from the NY bar stating my application was received and the letter saying I passed?

If I remember correctly, the NY bar application to sit for the bar is only a few pages and takes like 10 minutes to complete so it’s not like it has any information on it.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Thank you in advance for your help.
You have to contact BOLE. I kept paper copies of everything, though you may be able to access it through your BOLE account. I sent my BOLE app to Florida, not sure it's required, but better to send it then to have one more info request letter come in the mail. They may also inquire why you didnt use your UBE score to be admitted in a UBE jurisdiction.
Yeah, I don’t have access to anything on my BOLE page. I never thought another state was going to ask for my bar exam application (especially for NY since it’s like 10 questions).

By BOLE app, what do you mean?

I think at this point I just have to send the confirmations and hope they don’t care or will ask for more info later on. I’m already late and the final deadline is June 15, so not sure if the NY bar would even send it in time.
The BOLE app is the application you filed with the NY Board of Law Examiners to take the UBE. You won't be able to get it from NCBE as noted by OP. I know since I took the UBE in July 2016 and needed the application for Florida. NCBE will not have it, Board of Law Examiners will have it.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 am

NY BOLE did not have it. Guess I won’t get barred in FL for a while even if I pass.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:48 pm

alexgreat wrote:So I wish someone could explain this to me but
Part A: 135
Part B: 134

Missed it, even though I did better than the mean raw score on 5 out of the 6 Florida subjects. I scored 11 points higher than the mean essay averages and scored only 1.9 points below the Florida MC average. I had a raw score of 175 scaled down to 135. Honestly I don't understand it at all. I am thinking about having them reread my essays in hopes of maybe getting an extra scaled point so I do not need to retake Florida again...anyone know of a tutor in south florida? I dont want to leave anything to chance for the 3rd time.
Would you mind posting exactly what you got for essay 1, 2, 3 and sections 4, 5, and 6? It is looking like MC points are heavier when scaling.

dubj

New

Post by dubj » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 pm

not guilty wrote:
alexgreat wrote:So I wish someone could explain this to me but
Part A: 135
Part B: 134

Missed it, even though I did better than the mean raw score on 5 out of the 6 Florida subjects. I scored 11 points higher than the mean essay averages and scored only 1.9 points below the Florida MC average. I had a raw score of 175 scaled down to 135. Honestly I don't understand it at all. I am thinking about having them reread my essays in hopes of maybe getting an extra scaled point so I do not need to retake Florida again...anyone know of a tutor in south florida? I dont want to leave anything to chance for the 3rd time.
Would you mind posting exactly what you got for essay 1, 2, 3 and sections 4, 5, and 6? It is looking like MC points are heavier when scaling.
They say that if the examinee is close they will do an automatic review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:40 pm

SoFlolawyer wrote:The Florida bar is in 51 days... How is everyone feeling? Confident..? Semi- Confident..? How are my fellow Floridians holding up? Thoughts, insights, need talked down from the ledge, or have some words of encouragement for one another...?
Convention center is going to be packed :evil:

SoFlolawyer

New

Post by SoFlolawyer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:44 pm

not guilty wrote:
SoFlolawyer wrote:The Florida bar is in 51 days... How is everyone feeling? Confident..? Semi- Confident..? How are my fellow Floridians holding up? Thoughts, insights, need talked down from the ledge, or have some words of encouragement for one another...?
Convention center is going to be packed :evil:
...You think there are more then the usual number of students registered?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:56 pm

SoFlolawyer wrote: ...You think there are more then the usual number of students registered?
I was FWD an email the other day and the discussion was a lawyer/professors replying to a bar taker asking about the exam. His response (without going into detail) was that eventually going to College became the norm in this country. Then law school became popular. Florida has always been a destination state for people to move to. So at some point the Bar passing rate, at least Part A, became lower and lower to counter those things. More first time takers and more repeaters and more transients. So yeah, I think it'll be packed every July until people start to get real discouraged.

As for the exam itself, the "scaling" will continue and the Part A passing rate will remain low. My girlfriend just graduated Dental school and she was in disbelief when I told her we don't receive any sort of substantive study material from the bar, grading is a mystery, and your score report offers little feedback.

Do you happen to offer a breakdown on the topics touched on per subject?

PoliLaw

New

Post by PoliLaw » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 am

The FL exam is rigged. Saw a girl get a 5 out of 100 on an essay. If they gave her a 6 she would have passed the exam overall. Saw someone else supposedly bomb a trust essay that booked Trusts an Estates, worked all 3 years as a Law Clerk at an estate planning firm and after the exam was able to break down all the issues that he spoke about in his essay. Like this is the type of person who could recall his essay and rewrite in from memory a week later. The median for the trust essay was like 48 and he got in the 30s. While his Gf did not know a gosh darn thing about trusts, didnt pick out two of the major issues and got a 47. When the sample answers came out and his GF saw what she needed to be discussing she was shocked because she missed most of it while he hit all the issues with decent rule statements and good analysis. When his score came back he failed the exam overall by .5 pts. I have no idea how they do it but Florida seems to have some odd way of choosing who passes and who fails. The most heinous was my ex gf who got a a good score on the mbe and a decent score on the fla portion but then had her score scaled down to where she failed by 1.5 pts overall. Mind you she passed both parts! Its so odd to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:40 pm

florida2015 wrote:Barbri is rough right now.. week four is definitely a drag. Hope everyone is doing alright! :)
June is going slow, but I'm sure July will fly.

Comical and sad that the different bar preps/blogs/people cannot seem to agree on the exact subject tested for Essay #3 in February?
https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c00756f05

Xonessakayyox

New

Post by Xonessakayyox » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 am

not guilty wrote:
florida2015 wrote:Barbri is rough right now.. week four is definitely a drag. Hope everyone is doing alright! :)
June is going slow, but I'm sure July will fly.

Comical and sad that the different bar preps/blogs/people cannot seem to agree on the exact subject tested for Essay #3 in February?
https://www.floridabarexam.org/__85257b ... 0c00756f05
Was it not property/mortgages and UCC art 9?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Xonessakayyox wrote:
Was it not property/mortgages and UCC art 9?
A classmate told me that his themis rep said it was a A3 & A9 essay. Online I have seen it written as Prop + A3 or Prop + A9. Maybe it allowed for all 3 subjects.

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

How long does it take the bar to notify the applicant that it is in receipt of their application? I sent my stuff a week ago and I haven’t heard anything, so just curious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:43 pm

As for Biz Org's, do you think corporations or partnerships is tested more often?

kiadak231

New

Post by kiadak231 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am

FLBAR0718 wrote:How long does it take the bar to notify the applicant that it is in receipt of their application? I sent my stuff a week ago and I haven’t heard anything, so just curious.
Now that I re-read I misunderstood what you were asking. I got a letter a few days after sending my packet that they received it and they had a checklist of what they received. For amendments it usually has been a week or so and I get a letter confirming.

Molj1987

New

Post by Molj1987 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Anyone have a general idea of what is deemed an acceptable, passing score on a FL essay, out of available 100?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Molj1987 wrote:Anyone have a general idea of what is deemed an acceptable, passing score on a FL essay, out of available 100?
40+.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am

I have a question here for people who have taken the Florida exam before: Out of all the Florida subjects, which subjects do you think have the most important Florida distinctions to know or be aware of??? Some subjects dont have many distinctions, like contacts for example. Which subjects does everyone think are the most important?

FLBAR0718

New

Post by FLBAR0718 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Does anyone know of any essay predictions?

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:I have a question here for people who have taken the Florida exam before: Out of all the Florida subjects, which subjects do you think have the most important Florida distinctions to know or be aware of??? Some subjects dont have many distinctions, like contacts for example. Which subjects does everyone think are the most important?
Probably Con Law and Torts for the essays. They test con law all the time. And Evidence for the multiple choice. That’s how I approached the exam (even though on my exam they had maybe a grand total of 2 Florida evidence questions, lol)

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Does anyone have the past MC tested items for the previous exams? Barbri used to provide a chart.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Does anyone have a running list of previously tested FL MC subjects? If you could PM me those please... Barbri used to provide this in the past.

liz9332

New

Post by liz9332 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 am

Questions for previous takers:
1) For nursing moms who were approved to bring in pumps (or anyone else who was allowed to bring in pre-approved items — lumbar support etc.) did you need to bring your approval letter to badge check in or did they have your name listed somewhere that you could bring it in?
2) Can you leave the convention center during the lunch break and if so do you have to go through security again?

LegallyBlonde0818

New

Post by LegallyBlonde0818 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm

yennem wrote:Does anyone have a running list of previously tested FL MC subjects? If you could PM me those please... Barbri used to provide this in the past.
Barbri still provides it in the Information/Help center

July 2016
Multiple Choice:
1. FL Procedure*
2. Evidence
3. Wills and Administration of Estates

Feb 2017
Multiple Choice:
1. Florida Procedure*
2. Business Entities
3. Evidence

July 2017
Multiple Choice:
1. FL Procedure*
2. Business Entities

Feb 2018
Multiple Choice:
1. Florida Procedure*
2. Evidence

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:23 pm

LegallyBlonde0818 wrote:
yennem wrote:Does anyone have a running list of previously tested FL MC subjects? If you could PM me those please... Barbri used to provide this in the past.
Barbri still provides it in the Information/Help center

July 2016
Multiple Choice:
1. FL Procedure*
2. Evidence

Feb 2017
Multiple Choice:
1. Florida Procedure*
2. Business Entities
3. Evidence

July 2017
Multiple Choice:
1. FL Procedure*
2. Business Entities

Feb 2018
Multiple Choice:
1. Florida Procedure*
2. Evidence

Is there anyway you can post it or PM it to me please?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”