Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nikip_1115

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 am

This is my first time posting. I passed Florida part A on my first attempt and this is my second time failing the MBE. I have no idea how to study for July. I thought I nailed it.

I took Barbri, I was testing at 72/100. I completed over 2000 Mc questions including 2 Tsets from ncbe. At this point I feel like I don't know anything. I even finished with time to spare, so time management isn't an issue.

Taking this test a 3rd time is just exhausting. And on top of that I can't bare lettering my family down yet again. I know mental state is everything and by June I will be back prepared but right now I just need suggestions please.

I now have more Barbri questions, critical pass cards and celebration testing material. Should I take both part A and B so that I can possibly pass with the overall method or should I just go for mbe only?

uteman2016

New

Post by uteman2016 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 am

Do adaptibar for MBE prep and you will be able to pass the MBE. Take both sections again as it cant hurt you, but devote 95% of your studying to the MBE. If you do all of the Adapitbar questions you will gain the confidence you need for the MBE.

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:50 am

I passed both Part A and Part B, but I am not yet eligible to be sworn in. It looks like the overall pass rate was around 50% (it was 58% for first-time takers sitting for the entire exam). Only about 28% of test takers were eligible to be sworn in as of yesterday. Florida is apparently really slow with the C&F investigations.

Nikip_1115

New

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks uteman2016. I just wasn't sure where to start at this point.

Tzhs

New

Post by Tzhs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 am

apm5743 wrote:I passed both Part A and Part B, but I am not yet eligible to be sworn in. It looks like the overall pass rate was around 50% (it was 58% for first-time takers sitting for the entire exam). Only about 28% of test takers were eligible to be sworn in as of yesterday. Florida is apparently really slow with the C&F investigations.
If they have not received passing mpre scores yet (March '16 scores are scheduled to be released this Thursday), that would also hold things up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am

Nikip_1115 wrote:This is my first time posting. I passed Florida part A on my first attempt and this is my second time failing the MBE. I have no idea how to study for July. I thought I nailed it.

I took Barbri, I was testing at 72/100. I completed over 2000 Mc questions including 2 tsets from ncbe. At this point I feel like I don't know anything. I even finished with time to spare, so time management isn't an issue.

Taking this test a 3rd time is just exhausting. And on top of that I can't bare lettering my family down yet again. I know mental state is everything and by June I will be back prepared but right now I just need suggestions please.

I now have more Barbri questions, critical pass cards and celebration testing material. Should I take both part A and B so that I can possibly pass with the overall method or should I just go for mbe only?
As for studying, I would add Adaptibar.

As for Part A, don't take it. If you failed Part A and passed Part B, I would say definitely take MBE again. It's just MC, but Part A is essays. You can't pass Part A without studying. Don't waste time studying.

As for "nailed" it, that may be your issue. You think you're getting it but really falling for the decoy, etc. Memorization might be an issue here.

727law

New

Post by 727law » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:26 am

apm5743 wrote:I passed both Part A and Part B, but I am not yet eligible to be sworn in. It looks like the overall pass rate was around 50% (it was 58% for first-time takers sitting for the entire exam). Only about 28% of test takers were eligible to be sworn in as of yesterday. Florida is apparently really slow with the C&F investigations.
I could be wrong but knowing that February is full of repeat takers, some MPRE scores may have expired which would keep someone from being sworn in

Nikip_1115

New

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 am

@not guilty. Thank you. I'm going back to the basics and using this month to commit to memorizing the black letter law.

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:01 am

Nikip_1115 wrote:@not guilty. Thank you. I'm going back to the basics and using this month to commit to memorizing the black letter law.
I am in your shoes. This was my second bar exam after 10 years. I took NY bar 10 years ago right after law school and was able to study full time and passed it on the first try, moved to Florida recently, took some time off the practice of law and decided to get back in. This time I had a full time job and two toddlers and no time off. I was able to pass Part A but not Part B :cry: . For July, I am going to do only part B so I am only working on MBE subjects as opposed to all subjects, so I am not taking any time away from MBE practice. I will be using Adaptibar this time (which i wish I knew about before 2 weeks to the exam) in conjunction with Themis again.

We can do this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:05 am

727law wrote:
I could be wrong but knowing that February is full of repeat takers, some MPRE scores may have expired which would keep someone from being sworn in
Good point. And as Tzhs pointed out, March '16 MPRE scores will be released this week. Out of the 400 or so people who passed and aren't eligible to be sworn in, I wonder how many are waiting on the MPRE and how many are waiting on the C&F investigation (and how many are waiting on both).

I passed the Nov. '15 MPRE, so I know the holdup for me is the C&F investigation. I mailed out my bar application on Dec. 15th, so I'm not surprised--just hoping it doesn't take too much longer.

Nikip_1115

New

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:21 am

dazzliing wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:@not guilty. Thank you. I'm going back to the basics and using this month to commit to memorizing the black letter law.
I am in your shoes. This was my second bar exam after 10 years. I took NY bar 10 years ago right after law school and was able to study full time and passed it on the first try, moved to Florida recently, took some time off the practice of law and decided to get back in. This time I had a full time job and two toddlers and no time off. I was able to pass Part A but not Part B :cry: . For July, I am going to do only part B so I am only working on MBE subjects as opposed to all subjects, so I am not taking any time away from MBE practice. I will be using Adaptibar this time (which i wish I knew about before 2 weeks to the exam) in conjunction with Themis again.

We can do this!
Thank you. It's just incredibly frustrating. This time I'm taking 6 weeks off, hopefully I will have a job at the end but I'm determined to pass this test

Em_Banc

New

Post by Em_Banc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 am

I'm not a FL taker but I'm curious...might be a dumb question but does FL have a numerical cutoff for Part B (mbe) or does the passing standard change/depend on the administration?

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Nikip_1115 wrote:This is my first time posting. I passed Florida part A on my first attempt and this is my second time failing the MBE. I have no idea how to study for July. I thought I nailed it.

I took Barbri, I was testing at 72/100. I completed over 2000 Mc questions including 2 tsets from ncbe. At this point I feel like I don't know anything. I even finished with time to spare, so time management isn't an issue.

I highly recommend using Adaptibar for your primary MBE source and then supplementing with Barbri to switch things up. I failed in July and used Adaptibar primarily this time around and it was a game-changer IMO. If you answer and fully understand all/most of the questions on there, I feel like it is very hard to fail. I actually saw fact patterns in my AM session that closely resembled ones I had done on Adaptibar. At the end of the day, this exam is about learning the law and also learning how to take this exam. I feel like the 2nd part of that equation can only be mastered by using the NCBE's own questions and not poorly-written Barbri questions.

With that said, I did find it extremely useful to switch it up once in a while and do some Barbri questions. The MBE, or at least part of it, will always feel "foreign" or like you didn't even study. I found this to be the case in both July and Feb. Since Barbri questions are written differently, it was a nice exercise to get my brain off the Adaptibar autopilot sometimes and put myself in an MBE-like situation where the questions seemed different than what I had been studying.

I do see that you have done over 2000 questions, so maybe you just aren't really reviewing them deep enough and really understanding what's going wrong. One habit I picked up was was to have my CMR by me whenever I was doing questions. I would mark that thing up, and look up the BLL for every single question, whether I got it right or wrong to really engrain the rule into my head. I would also make note of how the facts came up and sometimes write out the hypo next to the rule in my CMR, so that I could associate those types of fact patterns with those rules. Knowing how the facts come up in relation to the BLL being tested is just as important as memorizing the rule itself. You can be able to spit out every single bit of BLL tested on the MBE and still fail miserably if you can't identify how they actually come up. So when you are reviewing, make sure you are REALLY reviewing the questions and not just going through the motions of reading the explanation and moving on to the next question. If a question takes you 30 minutes to fully understand, then so be it. Time better spent than doing 10 more questions with a half-assed understanding of them. Use this forum whenever you are having an issue understanding a particular question. This place was was a goldmine of information and motivation while I was studying this time around.

Lastly, I'd suggest putting all of your effort into passing the MBE this time around, unless your Part A score was that high and you truly believe you can replicate that again. Also, given the essays that were tested in both July and Feb., do you really want to take that gamble again? I think one of the biggest factors that contributed to me passing this time was the fact that all I had to worry about was studying for and taking the MBE. Being able to average both scores seems appealing at first, but I ultimately think it's the wrong choice. Even if you dedicate zero time to studying for Part A, you still have to go take the damn thing on the first day, ultimately draining yourself of the precious mental energy you need to pass Part B the next day. I can't even express how advantageous it was for me to go into Part B, fully rested and focused this time, without having fatigue and stress from the previous day hanging over my head still. People were walking around like zombies, still talking about the essays on Wednesday, while I was at 115%, with a clear head, ready to destroy the MBE. May not sound like a big deal but the MBE is something that requires you to be very mentally agile and erasing an entire day's worth of stress from that equation puts you in the best place on game day IMO.

You can and will get at least a 136 if all you have to worry about is the MBE. Do every question on Adaptibar, plus a decent amount of Barbri (like their simulated exam and mixed sets) and you will have zero issue getting a 136 without having to rely on Part A. You will get to a point where you are doing so well that you will be upset that you aren't getting better than 75% raw. With that mindset and preparation, you will be ready to dominate the MBE 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:15 pm

THE_U wrote:

I highly recommend using Adaptibar for your primary MBE source and then supplementing with Barbri to switch things up. I failed in July and used Adaptibar primarily this time around and it was a game-changer IMO. If you answer and fully understand all/most of the questions on there, I feel like it is very hard to fail. I actually saw fact patterns in my AM session that closely resembled ones I had done on Adaptibar. At the end of the day, this exam is about learning the law and also learning how to take this exam. I feel like the 2nd part of that equation can only be mastered by using the NCBE's own questions and not poorly-written Barbri questions.

With that said, I did find it extremely useful to switch it up once in a while and do some Barbri questions. The MBE, or at least part of it, will always feel "foreign" or like you didn't even study. I found this to be the case in both July and Feb. Since Barbri questions are written differently, it was a nice exercise to get my brain off the Adaptibar autopilot sometimes and put myself in an MBE-like situation where the questions seemed different than what I had been studying.

I do see that you have done over 2000 questions, so maybe you just aren't really reviewing them deep enough and really understanding what's going wrong. One habit I picked up was was to have my CMR by me whenever I was doing questions. I would mark that thing up, and look up the BLL for every single question, whether I got it right or wrong to really engrain the rule into my head. I would also make note of how the facts came up and sometimes write out the hypo next to the rule in my CMR, so that I could associate those types of fact patterns with those rules. Knowing how the facts come up in relation to the BLL being tested is just as important as memorizing the rule itself. You can be able to spit out every single bit of BLL tested on the MBE and still fail miserably if you can't identify how they actually come up. So when you are reviewing, make sure you are REALLY reviewing the questions and not just going through the motions of reading the explanation and moving on to the next question. If a question takes you 30 minutes to fully understand, then so be it. Time better spent than doing 10 more questions with a half-assed understanding of them. Use this forum whenever you are having an issue understanding a particular question. This place was was a goldmine of information and motivation while I was studying this time around.

Lastly, I'd suggest putting all of your effort into passing the MBE this time around, unless your Part A score was that high and you truly believe you can replicate that again. Also, given the essays that were tested in both July and Feb., do you really want to take that gamble again? I think one of the biggest factors that contributed to me passing this time was the fact that all I had to worry about was studying for and taking the MBE. Being able to average both scores seems appealing at first, but I ultimately think it's the wrong choice. Even if you dedicate zero time to studying for Part A, you still have to go take the damn thing on the first day, ultimately draining yourself of the precious mental energy you need to pass Part B the next day. I can't even express how advantageous it was for me to go into Part B, fully rested and focused this time, without having fatigue and stress from the previous day hanging over my head still. People were walking around like zombies, still talking about the essays on Wednesday, while I was at 115%, with a clear head, ready to destroy the MBE. May not sound like a big deal but the MBE is something that requires you to be very mentally agile and erasing an entire day's worth of stress from that equation puts you in the best place on game day IMO.

You can and will get at least a 136 if all you have to worry about is the MBE. Do every question on Adaptibar, plus a decent amount of Barbri (like their simulated exam and mixed sets) and you will have zero issue getting a 136 without having to rely on Part A. You will get to a point where you are doing so well that you will be upset that you aren't getting better than 75% raw. With that mindset and preparation, you will be ready to dominate the MBE 8)
Your response and experience keeps me encouraged and knowing that I am on the right path as well. I would definitely love to get upset over a 75% raw score :wink:

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:51 pm

dazzliing wrote:
THE_U wrote:
Nikip_1115 wrote:
Your response and experience keeps me encouraged and knowing that I am on the right path as well. I would definitely love to get upset over a 75% raw score :wink:
You definitely are on the right track. If you approach things as you described in your previous post, you are not only going to pass, but pass easily.

Even though I wrote a mountain of text in that last post, I feel like I still missed a lot of the insight and knowledge I gained this last time while studying. So please, feel free to PM me with questions or just to vent while you are studying this time. Failing the bar in July was one of the worst feelings I've ever had and I would love nothing more than to share my experience and do all I can to help someone else avoid such a miserable feeling.

Nikip_1115

New

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:07 pm

THE_U wrote:

Thank you so much. I will definitely incorporate what you said into my study plan.

Nikip_1115

New

Post by Nikip_1115 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Does anyone have a discount code for Adaptibar?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tzhs

New

Post by Tzhs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:15 pm

Em_Banc wrote:I'm not a FL taker but I'm curious...might be a dumb question but does FL have a numerical cutoff for Part B (mbe) or does the passing standard change/depend on the administration?
The cut score is always 136 for both part a and part b; provided, that you can pass if your total score equals or exceeds 272, even if one of your scores is below 136.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 am

Nikip_1115 wrote:Does anyone have a discount code for Adaptibar?

I am in a similar position. I was a first time taker in Feb. I passed Florida and failed MBE...and failed overall. I appreciate the tips and am looking into Adaptibar.

Also wondering if anyone has a discount code I can use.

Thanks.

lawfl1010

New

Post by lawfl1010 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:20 am

LawDawg2016 wrote:

I am in a similar position. I was a first time taker in Feb. I passed Florida and failed MBE...and failed overall. I appreciate the tips and am looking into Adaptibar.

Thanks.
I sent you a PM with instructions on how to get the code for Adaptiabr. If anyone else is interested feel free to PM me and I will do the same. It's the only reason I passed the MBE and highly recommend it to everyone. To those that did not pass, stay positive and keep at it! You will pass!

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:24 am

lawfl1010 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:

Thanks.
I sent you a PM with instructions on how to get the code for Adaptiabr. If anyone else is interested feel free to PM me and I will do the same. It's the only reason I passed the MBE and highly recommend it to everyone. To those that did not pass, stay positive and keep at it! You will pass!
100% agree. Adaptibar is hands down the best MBE prep and it's not even close.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am

lawfl1010 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:

Thanks.

Really appreciate it! Thanks

dazzliing

New

Post by dazzliing » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:49 am

lawfl1010 I sent you a PM too for the adaptibar code please :) . Seems like a couple of us are in the same boat. Passed Part A failed Part B. :(

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Are high bar scores considered marketable? Is it something worth putting on a cover letter/resume or bringing up in an interview?

Additionally, anyone know of a way to see where you ranked in Florida? If the answer to the above question is YES, then I assume your score is only marketable if it is over a certain threshold (top 1, top 5, top 10??)

Last year's highest scorer in Florida got a 175, my score was 169. Would love to know where this falls, if I can indeed use it when talking to firms.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:26 pm

dazzliing wrote:lawfl1010 I sent you a PM too for the adaptibar code please :) . Seems like a couple of us are in the same boat. Passed Part A failed Part B. :(

Did you take a bar prep course? I took Barbri. BUT, I used other materials to pass Florida. I have a friend who performed exact same way and prepared the exact same way. I think Barbri let us down.

Going to do Adaptibar this time. Good luck to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”