Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dazzliing

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by dazzliing » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Anyone know what the MC topics were for Feb 2016?
They were
Florida Pro
Business Entities with a large focus on Partnership
Evidence

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm

My prediction:

Family Law
Trusts
Real Property
FL Con Law
Contracts/Art. 3
Professionalism

Florida Procedure
Wills
Evidence

Joey4112

New

Post by Joey4112 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Is Evidence frequently tested every time? Like I think it was tested in July too. Does that means its frequently tested more than Wills and Corps or is there a chance we get Wills and Corps with no evidence?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Is Evidence frequently tested every time? Like I think it was tested in July too. Does that means its frequently tested more than Wills and Corps or is there a chance we get Wills and Corps with no evidence?
Evidence has been tested 8 of the past 10 times, whereas Wills and Corps have been tested 6 of the past 10. Obviously there is a chance of Wills and Corps, but that happened in Feb 2015 so I think it's more likely that we get Evidence (and I agree with grixxlzy's hunch that the other will be Wills).

Joey4112

New

Post by Joey4112 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Cool thanks. Any info on the website that predicts the essay topics? Seems like its down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 pm

MC Predictions:

Fla Civ and Crim Pro
Evidence
Biz Orgs (corporations heavy)

If they want Part A to keep getting crazier they could go no Evidence and do Wills and Biz Orgs.

They could also add a new MC Subject if they so choose.

They could also do Wills MC and a Trusts Essay, which they never do.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Is Evidence frequently tested every time? Like I think it was tested in July too. Does that means its frequently tested more than Wills and Corps or is there a chance we get Wills and Corps with no evidence?
Listen, if you're forced for time I would study Evidence more so than the other 2, but no one really knows. You may not even get Evidence.

A wildcard essay topic could be Family with a Dependency issue.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:20 pm

it's like Barbri makes you squeeze out florida rules. we have to fight through distinctions instead of outlines. The Wills lecture is going over common law comparisons for no apparent reason.

I wish a company would come out and just focus on Part A Florida.

blueapple08

New

Post by blueapple08 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:45 pm

not guilty wrote:it's like Barbri makes you squeeze out florida rules. we have to fight through distinctions instead of outlines. The Wills lecture is going over common law comparisons for no apparent reason.

I wish a company would come out and just focus on Part A Florida.
Yeah, Barbri not been very effective for the Florida portion. The whole distinctions tables they give is also not working for me at all. I doubt I'd have enough time to create something a little more helpful at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:24 pm

How did everyone do on the Florida multiple choice simulated exam?

I felt the questions were fair but did worse than expected because of reading too quickly. Definitely could have got 10 more correct if I would've slowed down a bit. Finished with 30 minutes to spare.

unreasonabledonut

New

Post by unreasonabledonut » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:36 am

I'm using someone else's Barbri 2015 materials; can anyone share what Florida subjects Barbri tested on the 2016 simulated FL m/c and essays? Thanks in advance!

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:19 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:How did everyone do on the Florida multiple choice simulated exam?

I felt the questions were fair but did worse than expected because of reading too quickly. Definitely could have got 10 more correct if I would've slowed down a bit. Finished with 30 minutes to spare.
Not well. Especially on Corporations, I'm struggling to remember all the details.

Are any of y'all doing the sample MC on the FL bar study guides, and if so, have you found them helpful?

blueapple08

New

Post by blueapple08 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:04 pm

How are you guys prioritizing which rules to memorize? I know we are expected to memorize some of the extremely specific rules, but it seems impossible to memorize all of them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Was really upset that BarBri so far has not covered Fl essay topics all that much (other than assigning a random batch to do here and there), and has instead been more MBE focused. But since Fl averages your MBE score to boost your Fl score, and since you typically need a scaled score of 136 on Fl to pass (according to BarBri), then that means a scaled 150 on the MBE lets you get away with scoring a scaled score of 122 (avg = 136). My understanding is that a scaled score of 122 on the Fl portion is doable. So though I was pretty upset that BarBri's plan has somewhat screwed us in terms of prep for everything except the MBE, I can sort of see why.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Where do you see the Fla Bar admitting anything they do scoring wise? All we know is that Part A and Part B are weighed equally. We do not know if MC or Essays weigh more or not.

Go back in this thread about 4 pages and you will see all the math. Many feel essays get scaled down a bunch.
Last edited by not guilty on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:15 pm

not guilty wrote:Where do you see the Fla Bar admitting anything they do scoring wise? All we know is that Part A and Part B are weighed equally. We do not know if MC or Essays way more or not.

Go back in this thread about 4 pages and you will see all the math. Many feel essays get scaled down a bunch.
From the FBBE site: "A passing grade under this method would be an average scaled score of 136 or better, or such score as may be set by the Supreme Court of Florida." https://www.floridabarexam.org/web/webs ... 0B0067E748.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:28 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:Was really upset that BarBri so far has not covered Fl essay topics all that much (other than assigning a random batch to do here and there), and has instead been more MBE focused. But since Fl averages your MBE score to boost your Fl score, and since you typically need a scaled score of 136 on Fl to pass (according to BarBri), then that means a scaled 150 on the MBE lets you get away with scoring a scaled score of 122 (avg = 136). My understanding is that a scaled score of 122 on the Fl portion is doable. So though I was pretty upset that BarBri's plan has somewhat screwed us in terms of prep for everything except the MBE, I can sort of see why.
I don't think anyone is making claims about the relative weight of MC vs essay on the FL part (well, other than the one I'm about to make). But not guilty, you're right that anecdotal evidence suggests MC is more important than essay.

Sort of makes intuitive sense to me. Based on some of the numbers in this thread and Barbri's essay "scoring," it seems like the vast majority of essays will fall within a range of 15-50, so there are potentially a lot more points to be lost on the MC section than essays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 pm

I see. Your argument is that Barbri does less Fla because you can bring your score up via MBE? Although I don't know if they do that intentionally, that is true. The scale works both ways of course. I certainly wouldn't plan on getting a 126 Fla because I was convinced I was getting a 148 MBE.

What scares me is the lack of candor from the Bar on how exactly they calculate our Part A score. They don't release Part A until they have received Part B. Why not show the math?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:58 pm

wwwcol wrote:
I don't think anyone is making claims about the relative weight of MC vs essay on the FL part (well, other than the one I'm about to make). But not guilty, you're right that anecdotal evidence suggests MC is more important than essay.

Sort of makes intuitive sense to me. Based on some of the numbers in this thread and Barbri's essay "scoring," it seems like the vast majority of essays will fall within a range of 15-50, so there are potentially a lot more points to be lost on the MC section than essays.
Part A and Part B are equal weights.

MBE out of 190

Florida out of 190

MC has 100 points and essays out of 90 total. Each essay gets scaled down. Your 65 point essay is not going to get you 65 actual points.

kcam1991

Bronze

Post by kcam1991 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 pm

not guilty wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

MBE out of 190

Florida out of 190

MC has 100 points and essays out of 90 total. Each essay gets scaled down. Your 65 point essay is not going to get you 65 actual points.
What is the lowest possible score for Part A? In other words, what is an auto pass MBE?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 pm

unreasonabledonut wrote:I'm using someone else's Barbri 2015 materials; can anyone share what Florida subjects Barbri tested on the 2016 simulated FL m/c and essays? Thanks in advance!
idk, but google "Benefit and social purpose corporations hybrid entity florida"

apparently new stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:02 pm

kcam1991 wrote:
not guilty wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

MBE out of 190

Florida out of 190

What is the lowest possible score for Part A? In other words, what is an auto pass MBE?
Since the MBE is a nationally administered exam, i don't think Fl can set a minimum number for it the way it has for the FL portion. I think they just wait for the results and scale it according to how Fl bar takers did on the MBE.

wise4

New

Post by wise4 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:My prediction:

Family Law
Trusts
Real Property
FL Con Law
Contracts/Art. 3
Professionalism

Florida Procedure
Wills
Evidence
I am literally praying this happens. I find the Wills MCQ to be a lot simpler to figure out over Corporations. If the MCQ are Procedure, Evidence, and Wills, my confidence will be through the roof. If its corps, I am going to have to pray theres more questions about partnerships than anything else.

Those essays are doable. When there is 5 days left, I am going to spend half a day on Juvenile and Dependency so I can BS my way through it if it somehow appears as a full essay.

blueapple08

New

Post by blueapple08 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 am

wise4 wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:My prediction:

Family Law
Trusts
Real Property
FL Con Law
Contracts/Art. 3
Professionalism

Florida Procedure
Wills
Evidence
I am literally praying this happens. I find the Wills MCQ to be a lot simpler to figure out over Corporations. If the MCQ are Procedure, Evidence, and Wills, my confidence will be through the roof. If its corps, I am going to have to pray theres more questions about partnerships than anything else.

Those essays are doable. When there is 5 days left, I am going to spend half a day on Juvenile and Dependency so I can BS my way through it if it somehow appears as a full essay.
Wills simpler than Corporations? I feel the exact opposite lol. Some wills questions are so dense and take up so much time (usually with intestacy matters. I feel like corporation rules are easier to apply than wills, but props to you. How did you study for wills? Any tips?

Jwashere

New

Post by Jwashere » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Joey4112 wrote:Cool thanks. Any info on the website that predicts the essay topics? Seems like its down.
FYI- the site is back up but now all the relevant forums are password protected. To obtain the password, you're required to pay a $20 "donation." The site admin mentioned they might not even release a prediction this time around. Ill report back if its worth the $20 once I get my password.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”