Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kiadak231

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by kiadak231 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:57 pm

fltoca wrote:
kiadak231 wrote:
fltoca wrote:
ast52017 wrote:
fltoca wrote:Anyone else pass the FL Bar last month and still waiting on character & fitness clearance?

FL: 135
MBE: 161
Barbri, Adaptibar, and Em S&T (and Critical Pass from time to time)
I am :( I don't know what your post-bar letter from the BOBE said, but mine confirmed that I didn't have anything outstanding at that point and that my application would be given priority. However, it stated that this was because I had sent in my application less than 6 months before (it has now been about 7 months), so hopefully it's just a matter of time. I have also been advised by attorneys at my job to sit back and wait because it will likely take the full 8 months, or maybe even more, to get the authorization at this point :/

Good luck, and hope you get your authorization soon!

Yep, my post-bar letter said the same. Nothing outstanding and would be given priority. My application is officially 6 months today so I guess I still have a bit more time to go. Hopefully by the end of this year! Good luck to you as well!
Same letter here. I requested an update three weeks ago today and have heard nothing. I hit 8 months on the 29th and just have no clue what is going on.
Have you heard back on your request for an update? I was thinking of writing a letter requesting the same but am a little discouraged since you haven't heard back. Originally, I was hoping to receive clearance before Thanksgiving but it's looking like I should adjust those expectations into 2019. I doubt too much is getting done between now and the end of the year.

I have not gotten an update yet. I even called a few weeks after I sent the request to verify if they even received it and the lady said that she can only see what is sent to me and not what I have sent to them. The only "update" was when I got my paper bar scores and at that point I was just under six months and got the six to eight month processing time general message. Haven't even had any requests for information of any kind since June. This morning I actually sent out another request for an update as I enter my 9th month on 11/29. I have been working for a few weeks now as well so my stress level is through the roof.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Retaker from July, been studying for a few weeks and Barbri lectures start next week. I watched the lectures in a classroom at school last time and it felt like a lot of wasted time. Will try to stay on Barbri's schedule as much as possible. Hoping to check in here at least once a week.

Good luck to all the other February takers.

orab

New

Post by orab » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Looking to take the Florida Bar July 2019, but just Part A (the one that isnt the MBE). Whats the best resource to study for that?

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Well, now that I passed and don't care about helping everyone else out, ask me anything you want. Ebay books worked for me. You need to practice the essays and get the format down. Use the format used on the usual essays from the website. You will discover that the answers in the usual essays have some of the information in the rules changed around in them, to throw you off and put you in the wrong direction. Commercial Paper/Secured transactions is a good example of this. Review your notes and attempt the essay, then compare your answer with the sample answer. You will need to review the sample answer for accuracy and update any wrong answers or information you see with the correct information. It is a very time consuming process and you will need to do this for the most likely topics to be tested. For torts, there are 3 or 4 topics you will need to do this with. Once you get each corrected essay down on paper, memorize it and attempt another until you get that topic down. Hang onto all your essays, as you will need to keep reviewing them, so you don't forget any of the information. You can't simply do one good essay and mess up the other 2. Screw up on one essay completely, and your score will be scaled down, even if you aced the other 2 essays. The Florida specific stuff is also very important and you need to memorize as many Florida distinctions as possible for the subjects you are working on. You may find that there are only one or two points to make in each essay regarding Florida law, however. This is where it gets tricky because if you miss the one Florida distinction in an essay or screw it up completely, it will cost you lots of points.

For the multiple choice this time around you will be tested on wills, criminal/civil procedure, and evidence. You should also be familiar with corporations/partnerships. They like to test on numbers. Get yourself some Florida books or outlines. You should probably use more than one book. If you already have Barbri, get yourself a used book from another company to supplement that with. Barbri themis and kaplan are the main 3 companies. I passed by making an outline for each subject. Criminal/Civil procedure you need to get down all the numbers of days that things happen and in the proper order. Go through your book and put this information in your outline. Go through your two sets of Florida questions from the website and type this information directly into your outlines to memorize. Keep adding information to your outlines as you discover it. If you are lucky enough to be studying with friends, exchange outlines with them to get yourself information that you may be missing from your outlines. In my opinion, it is easier to pick up more points in this area than the essays if you are trying to improve. Criminal/Civil procedure is probably the easiest area to pick up points. If you happen to be taking the MBE as well, evidence is the easiest subject to improve in to get more points.

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi all-

I’m set to take the FL Feb. 19 Bar. I’m studying on my own and I wanted some insight on the breakdown on questions.

For the FL MC - as I understand it, the FL MC focuses its questions on 3 areas of law? So roughly 33 questions on each of whatever three areas they choose to focus on? And typically FL Crim Pro has been one of the subjects? Is this correct?

I know there aren’t guarantees. Any insight is appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wieters

Bronze

Post by Wieters » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:For the multiple choice this time around you will be tested on wills, criminal/civil procedure, and evidence. You should also be familiar with corporations/partnerships.
Thanks very much for your post.

How do you know these will be the multiple choice subjects? I understand there's some kind of art to predicting the FL MC subjects, but how exactly is it done?

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Anyone feel like speculating as to what the essay questions will be on for Feb?

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Common stock wrote:Anyone feel like speculating as to what the essay questions will be on for Feb?
If you would have asked me this a few months ago I probably would have had a better answer for you, but off the top of my head I would review torts, crim law, secured transactions or commercial paper. Torts is probably the most important, commercial and secured are next. I also said crim law because subjects recently tested tend to be reviewed a lot (at least in a small portion of one of the essays). Crim law was tested February '18. Also, Family law and federal con law are very unlikely if you ask me. Florida Con law is more likely (Sunshine law is a popular topic). Contracts was just tested, so it is also unlikely. If I had to predict I would say Torts, commercial paper, florida con law.
Last edited by Derek Vinyard on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek Vinyard

New

Post by Derek Vinyard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Wieters wrote:
Derek Vinyard wrote:For the multiple choice this time around you will be tested on wills, criminal/civil procedure, and evidence. You should also be familiar with corporations/partnerships.
Thanks very much for your post.

How do you know these will be the multiple choice subjects? I understand there's some kind of art to predicting the FL MC subjects, but how exactly is it done?
Basically you get the data of all the subjects that were previously tested during the last few years. I created a word document for this. You will find an image posted somewhere in the beginning of this thread that has a lot of the most recent ones. The rest you can find yourself. You compare and contrast the trends of all the subjects and make a prediction. This may be time consuming, but it does help. For example, Evidence is usually tested, but was not tested July 2017. However, prior to this evidence had been tested 5 times in a row. Evidence has now been tested only twice in a row, making it likely to be tested this time. Crim/civ pro is always tested every time. Wills and corps/partnerships are probably about 50/50, but Corps/partnerships was tested on the last exam. The bar prep companies help make the prediction for you, from what I understand, so your final review exam for the FL multiple choice will probably only be in 3 subjects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eternityblues

New

Post by eternityblues » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 am

FL MC is 3 of the 4: civil/criminal procedure, Wills, corporations/partnerships, and FL Evidence. Civil/criminal procedure is the only one guaranteed each administration.

I took J18. We had Procedure, Evidence, and Corps/partnerships

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:58 pm

I recently moved from another jurisdiction and will be taking the February exam. My firm is giving me three weeks off to study for the bar so I have to cram as much study as I can into those three weeks since I'm working full time and can't give the exam much attention until then. My plan is to focus on and crush the MBE (I did fairly well on that part when I took the UBE in 2016) to make up for my knowledge deficiencies in Florida law. Does that work as a strategy or is it a poor idea?

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm

PBateman1 wrote:I recently moved from another jurisdiction and will be taking the February exam. My firm is giving me three weeks off to study for the bar so I have to cram as much study as I can into those three weeks since I'm working full time and can't give the exam much attention until then. My plan is to focus on and crush the MBE (I did fairly well on that part when I took the UBE in 2016) to make up for my knowledge deficiencies in Florida law. Does that work as a strategy or is it a poor idea?
Wish I had specific advice, but I'm interested in the response. I'm working FT right now and studying just for Part A. I passed a UBE jdx in July so I'm transferring my MBE score over... But I don't have tons of time to devote to this and I'm scrambling to stuff this stuff in my brain.

court_bacon

New

Post by court_bacon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 am

Does anyone have essay predictions for February? I’ve been studying my chart of the recent topics tested and have no clue. I’ve taken the Louisiana Bar and this will be my second attempt for Florida. Louisiana was a breeze compared to this haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

court_bacon

New

Post by court_bacon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 am

Does anyone have essay predictions for February? I’ve been studying my chart of the recent topics tested and have no clue. I’ve taken the Louisiana Bar and this will be my second attempt for Florida. Louisiana was a breeze compared to this haha.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:56 pm

court_bacon wrote:Does anyone have essay predictions for February? I’ve been studying my chart of the recent topics tested and have no clue. I’ve taken the Louisiana Bar and this will be my second attempt for Florida. Louisiana was a breeze compared to this haha.
No one has a clue but Family Law, FL Con Law, and Secured Transactions/Commercial Paper seem to be popular recently.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 pm

johngotti wrote:
court_bacon wrote:Does anyone have essay predictions for February? I’ve been studying my chart of the recent topics tested and have no clue. I’ve taken the Louisiana Bar and this will be my second attempt for Florida. Louisiana was a breeze compared to this haha.
No one has a clue but Family Law, FL Con Law, and Secured Transactions/Commercial Paper seem to be popular recently.
Starting commercial paper from scratch since this morning. Horrid. WTF am I even reading.

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

cloy26 wrote:
johngotti wrote:
Starting commercial paper from scratch since this morning. Horrid. WTF am I even reading.
Retaker and it's great to see the barbri lecturer say "none of this will make sense to you" at the start of the lecture, really filled me with confidence.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:51 am

cloy26 wrote: Starting commercial paper from scratch since this morning. Horrid. WTF am I even reading.
Heh. Just make sure you nail down the basics.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm

After studying about 2 hours a day for 6 weeks, I decided to postpone this to July. No way I would get close to passing. Good Luck to everyone going forward!

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

One week to go, I'd give a lot for some inside info on essay topics.

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:14 pm

How is everyone? Doesn’t seem like there are too many of us on here taking the exam in Feb. am I the only one who is starting to hyperventilate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Common stock

New

Post by Common stock » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Also has anyone heard back about thei C&F? I haven’t received a letter since December. Is this the norm?

johngotti

Bronze

Post by johngotti » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Common stock wrote:How is everyone? Doesn’t seem like there are too many of us on here taking the exam in Feb. am I the only one who is starting to hyperventilate?
Freaking out as well. Hoping for good essay topics so I feel like I've got a chance.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Common stock wrote:How is everyone? Doesn’t seem like there are too many of us on here taking the exam in Feb. am I the only one who is starting to hyperventilate?
Im a 6 time taker... Im freaking out... I missed the last 3 exams by 1 point (Both FL and MBE) im a 135 guy.... The stress is piling on :D

court_bacon

New

Post by court_bacon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:21 pm

The struggle is real. I've been so worried about the essays that I kept putting off the multiple choice. It's going to be a fun weekend cramming.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”