Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EAsports

New

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Post by EAsports » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:19 pm

941law wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:What are people's thoughts on Commercial Paper and Secured transactions? Chances we get one of them?
Like I've said (HERE HE GOES AGAIN), we seem to be due up for a Contracts and Torts essay. They hit a Trusts essay every calendar year (and never Wills mc in that same exam) and haven't yet this year. Also they usually hit a Fl Con Law essay once or twice a calendar year. Does the Federal Con Law February essay play any role in their essay picks for July? No clue. So my essay subjects spread out are:

Contracts, Fl Con Law, Ethics, Torts, Trusts. Avoiding: Prop, Family, Commercial, and Secured.
Also avoiding Dependency and Delinquency? I would imagine one of those'd get worked in somehow (but hope not!).

ETA: Otherwise, I subscribe to your predictions, sir.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:30 pm

FloRida15 wrote:anyone do the MC questions of the FL bar website yet? If so, can anyone explain the rationale for the correct answer on the below? Thanks.

Rainbow Corporation has outstanding 1,000 shares of voting common stock and 1,000 shares of nonvoting preferred. The preferred has a liquidation preference equal to its par value of $100 per share plus a three percent noncumulative dividend. Rainbow submits to its stockholders a proposal to authorize a new class of preferred stock with redemption rights that would come ahead of the old preferred stock. At a shareholders' meeting, 700 common and 400 preferred vote in favor of the proposal. Which of the following statements is correct?
(A) The proposal is validly approved because overall a majority of the outstanding shares did approve.
(B) The proposal is invalidly approved because a majority of the preferred shareholders did not approve.
(C) The vote of the preferred stockholders does not matter because it was nonvoting stock.
(D) The proposal is invalidly approved because a two-thirds vote of each class is required.
[+] Spoiler
[/Bspoiler]
Because the same class (here:preferred) must vote for the change in rights to their class. The majority req wasn't met so no good

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:34 pm

EAsports wrote:
941law wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:What are people's thoughts on Commercial Paper and Secured transactions? Chances we get one of them?
Like I've said (HERE HE GOES AGAIN), we seem to be due up for a Contracts and Torts essay. They hit a Trusts essay every calendar year (and never Wills mc in that same exam) and haven't yet this year. Also they usually hit a Fl Con Law essay once or twice a calendar year. Does the Federal Con Law February essay play any role in their essay picks for July? No clue. So my essay subjects spread out are:

Contracts, Fl Con Law, Ethics, Torts, Trusts. Avoiding: Prop, Family, Commercial, and Secured.
Also avoiding Dependency and Delinquency? I would imagine one of those'd get worked in somehow (but hope not!).

I predict that they will do something unprecedented bc they are trying to be unpredictable.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Can anyone explain goddamn physical impact + manifestation for goddamn IIED/NIED claims in goddamn Florida, including goddamn direct/bystander claims?

joloyolo

New

Post by joloyolo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Can anyone explain goddamn physical impact + manifestation for goddamn IIED/NIED claims in goddamn Florida, including goddamn direct/bystander claims?
"A plaintiff seeking to recover for negligent infliction of emotional distress is required to show physical impact (however slight) upon his person or the manifestation of emotional distress in the form of a physical injury or illness."

So as I read it, if you dont have physical impact then you need to show physical symptoms of your emotional distress (insomnia, panic attacks, ulcers, etc).

For a bystander to recover, Florida follows the common law (zone of danger or close family members outside of zone of danger that actually witness the event).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

EAsports wrote:
941law wrote:

Wasn't there some sort of dependency aspect in Feb's Family law question?

Also, by your predictions (god I hate this so much...), MCQ will be BE, Evidence, and Procedure?

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:55 pm

joloyolo wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Can anyone explain goddamn physical impact + manifestation for goddamn IIED/NIED claims in goddamn Florida, including goddamn direct/bystander claims?
"A plaintiff seeking to recover for negligent infliction of emotional distress is required to show physical impact (however slight) upon his person or the manifestation of emotional distress in the form of a physical injury or illness."

So as I read it, if you dont have physical impact then you need to show physical symptoms of your emotional distress (insomnia, panic attacks, ulcers, etc).

For a bystander to recover, Florida follows the common law (zone of danger or close family members outside of zone of danger that actually witness the event).
You know, I can't find a straight answer anywhere. Thanks for the response. How does "∆'s knowledge of ∏'s presence" come into play?

There needs to be a fucking chart. Does anyone have a fucking chart? I would fucking love a chart.

I CAN'T STOP BEING ANGRY

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm

max2000 wrote:

Also, by your predictions (god I hate this so much...), MCQ will be BE, Evidence, and Procedure?
Yes and yes. I just don't think they hit on family/dependency for us. Just the subjects I listed. Cydiego predicts a curve-ball thrown at us and maybe that will be an entire Juvenile Delinquency essay with some Ethics in it. No clue.

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 pm

941law wrote:
max2000 wrote:

Yes and yes. I just don't think they hit on family/dependency for us. Just the subjects I listed. Cydiego predicts a curve-ball thrown at us and maybe that will be an entire Juvenile Delinquency essay with some Ethics in it. No clue.
An entire Delinquency essay would be a disaster. Anyone have a good grasp of this subject matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:43 pm

FloRida15 wrote:
941law wrote:
max2000 wrote:

An entire Delinquency essay would be a disaster. Anyone have a good grasp of this subject matter?
No dependency last feb, just fam law. Also, if delinquency is tested it'll be in mc not essays. I'm thinking a really intense torts, comm paper essay w maybe some property elements (bad landlord angry over bad checks from tenant or something strange and difficult.

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm

A lot of my practice Crim Pro questions were asking about delinquency specifically so I figured they throw in a couple with the Procedure section. I'm more worried about a full topic on Secured Transactions at this point.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:28 pm

max2000 wrote:A lot of my practice Crim Pro questions were asking about delinquency specifically so I figured they throw in a couple with the Procedure section. I'm more worried about a full topic on Secured Transactions at this point.
Secured isn't hard, if you ignore dates (which of course they won't let us). Just learn perfection - that'll coincidentally teach you the types of security interests and a bunch of other shit. Default/Priority is good too.

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Help with one of the questions from the FL study guide posted on the Bar website:

Vehicles driven by Murphy and Goode collide at an intersection where a traffic light is present. Before the filing of any lawsuit, Murphy tells Goode that he ran the red light and they offer to settle the claim for $500. Goode refuses to accept it. Murphy then sues Goode for his personal injuries and property damage and Goode, who was not injured, counterclaims for property damage.
13. At trial, Goode's attorney calls his client to the stand and asks him if Murphy has ever made any offers to settle the dispute. If Murphy's counsel objects, the trial court's proper ruling would be to
(A) sustain the objection because offers to compromise a claim are inadmissible to prove liability.
(B) overrule the objection because the offer was made prior to the filing of a lawsuit.
(C) overrule the objection because only an offer to pay medical expenses is inadmissible under the Florida Evidence Code.
(D) overrule the objection because Murphy's statement was an admission.

Correct answer is A (sorry for the spoiler). My understanding of the rule was that if there is not a disputed civil claim, then the statement can come in to prove liability as an admission. Do I have the rule wrong? Or, is this disputed because Goode refused to accept Murphy's offer?

Thanks everyone and good luck!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:01 pm

FloRida15 wrote:Help with one of the questions from the FL study guide posted on the Bar website:

Vehicles driven by Murphy and Goode collide at an intersection where a traffic light is present. Before the filing of any lawsuit, Murphy tells Goode that he ran the red light and they offer to settle the claim for $500. Goode refuses to accept it. Murphy then sues Goode for his personal injuries and property damage and Goode, who was not injured, counterclaims for property damage.
13. At trial, Goode's attorney calls his client to the stand and asks him if Murphy has ever made any offers to settle the dispute. If Murphy's counsel objects, the trial court's proper ruling would be to
(A) sustain the objection because offers to compromise a claim are inadmissible to prove liability.
(B) overrule the objection because the offer was made prior to the filing of a lawsuit.
(C) overrule the objection because only an offer to pay medical expenses is inadmissible under the Florida Evidence Code.

Correct answer is A (sorry for the spoiler). My understanding of the rule was that if there is not a disputed civil claim, then the statement can come in to prove liability as an admission. Do I have the rule wrong? Or, is this disputed because Goode refused to accept Murphy's offer?

There was a dispute? He offered to settle it before court and offers like that are inadmissible. They don't want to discourage people from attempting to handle these issues on their own.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:11 pm

941law wrote:
FloRida15 wrote:Help with one of the questions from the FL study guide posted on the Bar website:

There was a dispute? He offered to settle it before court and offers like that are inadmissible. They don't want to discourage people from attempting to handle these issues on their own.
I keep banging my head against this "dispute" issue and I've decided to just ignore it and keep offers to settle out of evidence. It's ridiculous to include a "in dispute" caveat when you're going to allow an offer like this in before the potential π has said a single word, argumentative or otherwise.

Cydiego

New

Post by Cydiego » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
941law wrote:

I keep banging my head against this "dispute" issue and I've decided to just ignore it and keep offers to settle out of evidence. It's ridiculous to include a "in dispute" caveat when you're going to allow an offer like this in before the potential π has said a single word, argumentative or otherwise.
What throws me is the use of "they" and I wonder if that's what signifies this is a dispute. If it was only "he" who offered to settle, then maybe it would be premature but because "they" are already negotiating it's a dispute. Either way, "they" makes absolutely no sense, right?

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:13 pm

941law wrote:

My understanding is that if he offers to settle and their is no dispute, in comes in. The rule only keeps out when there is a disputed civil claim. As another user stated, maybe because question states "...they offer to settle the claim for $500. Goode refuses to accept it." implies it is disputed and thus the rule keeps it out. It's poorly worded at best. Whatever -- can't dwell on it at this point I guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FloRida15

New

Post by FloRida15 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Cydiego wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:
941law wrote:

What throws me is the use of "they" and I wonder if that's what signifies this is a dispute. If it was only "he" who offered to settle, then maybe it would be premature but because "they" are already negotiating it's a dispute. Either way, "they" makes absolutely no sense, right?
I agree -- must be because "they", but it is so poorly worded. Who writes like that??? I guess "they" do!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 pm

You guys are thinking deeper than me, which is probably correct.

I read it as: car accident/tort/civil claim happens. There is a dispute at that point solely off the fact that there was a car accident (maybe not). Murph offers Goode a settlement. Denied. Murph then takes it to court and says look, it was his fault (now we have a dispute) and all previous settlement offers are inadmissible now.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Be Prepared for the New Subjects
Any time a jurisdiction adds new subjects to their test, there is uncertainty and anxiety. In February 2013, the Florida exam will be adding UCC 3 (negotiable instruments), UCC 9 (secured transactions) as well as some minor changes in Domestic Relations and Professional Responsibility. In our view, the UCC subjects are the major change and we expect those 2 subjects to be tested in an essay format rather than multiple choice.

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:29 am

Can anyone confirm/deny I've got this concept down pretty much? FL recognizes out of state Wills executed formally unless they're oral or holographic (even if valid and executed in the outside state)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:10 am

max2000 wrote:Can anyone confirm/deny I've got this concept down pretty much? FL recognizes out of state Wills executed formally unless they're oral or holographic (even if valid and executed in the outside state)
That sounds right to me. On another note, the test starts tomorrow (Tuesday) correct?

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:14 am

LAW813FL wrote:
max2000 wrote:Can anyone confirm/deny I've got this concept down pretty much? FL recognizes out of state Wills executed formally unless they're oral or holographic (even if valid and executed in the outside state)
That sounds right to me. On another note, the test starts tomorrow (Tuesday) correct?
I can't tell if you're being a dick :lol:

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:32 am

Geaux12 wrote:
LAW813FL wrote:
I can't tell if you're being a dick :lol:
woah how did you get access to the internet during the essays?

lol jkjk

max2000

New

Post by max2000 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

Touché

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”