Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

User avatar
Young Marino

Silver
Posts: 1132
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Young Marino » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 pm

ThisMan wrote:
Teamesq wrote:I know that when you swear in, you can begin practicing as soon as you mail the oath back, even though you have not been assigned a bar number yet. I read on the website that you can use the letter that the bar sends you acknowledging receipt of your oath as proof of membership. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the acknowledgment letter? I submitted my oath on Saturday, and still haven't received anything back. The bar is usually quick with sending an acknowledgement of receipt.

Anybody get a letter yet?


Apparently they're processing all of the oaths and will start sending letters out some time next week.

You called? Was wondering the same thing. I'd imagine they had a lot of oaths to read through

ThisMan

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby ThisMan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:19 am

Young Marino wrote:
ThisMan wrote:
Teamesq wrote:I know that when you swear in, you can begin practicing as soon as you mail the oath back, even though you have not been assigned a bar number yet. I read on the website that you can use the letter that the bar sends you acknowledging receipt of your oath as proof of membership. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the acknowledgment letter? I submitted my oath on Saturday, and still haven't received anything back. The bar is usually quick with sending an acknowledgement of receipt.

Anybody get a letter yet?


Apparently they're processing all of the oaths and will start sending letters out some time next week.

You called? Was wondering the same thing. I'd imagine they had a lot of oaths to read through


Yeah and basically I was told that the letter confirming receipt of the oaths takes longer than the usual bar correspondence. I think it's reading through the oaths + uploading our information into their attorney database that's taking up time.

User avatar
mehiguess

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby mehiguess » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 am

anybody know when we can expect our bar cards?

Teamesq

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Teamesq » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:06 pm

mehiguess wrote:anybody know when we can expect our bar cards?

The site says about 3 weeks

LuluCoco

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby LuluCoco » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am

Check The Florida Bar website - I haven’t gotten letter yet but my info and bar # were posted as of yesterday.

User avatar
Young Marino

Silver
Posts: 1132
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Young Marino » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 am

LuluCoco wrote:Check The Florida Bar website - I haven’t gotten letter yet but my info and bar # were posted as of yesterday.

Yea I got too got notice of my bar number. Hopefully this means the card will be in soon

User avatar
mehiguess

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby mehiguess » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Young Marino wrote:
LuluCoco wrote:Check The Florida Bar website - I haven’t gotten letter yet but my info and bar # were posted as of yesterday.

Yea I got too got notice of my bar number. Hopefully this means the card will be in soon


same here

Tony48

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tony48 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 am

redsox550 wrote:also its pretty obvious to me that family law and FL con law wil be tested... just based off of historical chart, probably with trusts


2/3 :D

redsox550

Bronze
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby redsox550 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Tony48 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:also its pretty obvious to me that family law and FL con law wil be tested... just based off of historical chart, probably with trusts


2/3 :D



I’m gonna score it 2.5 out of 3. Really was just stating opinion on first 2, added the “probably” to signify less certain about trusts. Either way strategy worked out for me :)

redsox550

Bronze
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby redsox550 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

No idea why I care or thought of this now, but anyone know how the essays were curved?

Tony48

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tony48 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Tony48 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:also its pretty obvious to me that family law and FL con law wil be tested... just based off of historical chart, probably with trusts


2/3 :D



I’m gonna score it 2.5 out of 3. Really was just stating opinion on first 2, added the “probably” to signify less certain about trusts. Either way strategy worked out for me :)


My guesses were: FL Con Law, Property and Trusts, IIRC. Specifically with FL Con Law, I was pretty convinced that homestead would be tested. Don't know why, but that's just what I went with. Glad I was wrong; what they did end up testing was right up my alley.

hockeyman969

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby hockeyman969 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 am

Finally fully submitted for C&F lol, submit attorney disciplinary history and wait.

Tony48

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tony48 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 am

So does anyone know what’s next? I kinda went out of order and waited until I passed the bar to take the MPRE. So now that I’ve passed both, do they automatically send me a letter that authorizes me to be sworn in? My character and fitness status letter (which I got with my bar results) said that thus far, there is nothing they see that would prevent me from being sworn in.

So do I just wait for a letter or do I have to let them know?

lapin

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby lapin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm in the exact same boat as you, Tony. I *think* we just wait for another letter.

User avatar
Derek Vinyard

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Derek Vinyard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 pm

I just got that letter about the MBE transfer from other states. Florida allows the MBE to be transferred now. That sucks for those out of state who still had to take it last July. I'm pretty sure you still need to have a 136 though, even if you passed in another state with less points.

Also, I wonder what happened with that guy who failed by a point this past July and challenged his score? I would assume paying the 50 bucks to the FL board still won't give you another point and you are getting ripped off. I wonder if anyone ever managed to have their score changed from failing to passing when that happened.

redsox550

Bronze
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby redsox550 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 am

Derek Vinyard wrote:I just got that letter about the MBE transfer from other states. Florida allows the MBE to be transferred now. That sucks for those out of state who still had to take it last July. I'm pretty sure you still need to have a 136 though, even if you passed in another state with less points.

Also, I wonder what happened with that guy who failed by a point this past July and challenged his score? I would assume paying the 50 bucks to the FL board still won't give you another point and you are getting ripped off. I wonder if anyone ever managed to have their score changed from failing to passing when that happened.


Asking for a friend. Reciprocity only exists if you took the MBE in the last 25 months correct?

KeepitKind

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby KeepitKind » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Derek Vinyard wrote:I just got that letter about the MBE transfer from other states. Florida allows the MBE to be transferred now. That sucks for those out of state who still had to take it last July. I'm pretty sure you still need to have a 136 though, even if you passed in another state with less points.

Also, I wonder what happened with that guy who failed by a point this past July and challenged his score? I would assume paying the 50 bucks to the FL board still won't give you another point and you are getting ripped off. I wonder if anyone ever managed to have their score changed from failing to passing when that happened.


I just saw that. I've passed the MBE with over a 136 recently, and am thinking of transferring the score. I am much better on the MBE than the essays, though. Does anyone know if I will get credit for my exact MBE score, weighted together with my essays toward passing? Or will I simply get a "Pass" on the MBE, and then have to achieve a certain score on the essays alone. In other words, will my MBE score have the ability to bring my essay score up, or will I be graded solely on the essays?? This is a big q. for me guys!

Tony48

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tony48 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am

lapin wrote:I'm in the exact same boat as you, Tony. I *think* we just wait for another letter.


Got my letter in the mail yesterday and I’m good to go. I was going to contact them next week if I never received anything.

KeepitKind

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby KeepitKind » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Ok, seems I can use a previous MBE score and focus on the FL portion alone. I will only have a few weeks off from work to study, so I would prefer not to take the MBE, though I note that the bar will only count a new MBE score if it brings my score up. Has anyone recently been in this position and taken this approach? Is there enough overlap with the MBE that I might as well take both parts? Any strategy on how to attack the FL portion?

byag

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby byag » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:54 pm

KeepitKind wrote:Ok, seems I can use a previous MBE score and focus on the FL portion alone. I will only have a few weeks off from work to study, so I would prefer not to take the MBE, though I note that the bar will only count a new MBE score if it brings my score up. Has anyone recently been in this position and taken this approach? Is there enough overlap with the MBE that I might as well take both parts? Any strategy on how to attack the FL portion?


I am going to be looking to do this as well. Appears as though the MBE score transfer policy in FL was just changed as of 11/30/17 so I don't know how many people will have helpful info on the topic. Apparently, the FL exam is exceedingly difficult and its "easier" to pass mathematically if you take the MBE with it because they average the scores.

KeepitKind

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby KeepitKind » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:38 pm

byag wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:Ok, seems I can use a previous MBE score and focus on the FL portion alone. I will only have a few weeks off from work to study, so I would prefer not to take the MBE, though I note that the bar will only count a new MBE score if it brings my score up. Has anyone recently been in this position and taken this approach? Is there enough overlap with the MBE that I might as well take both parts? Any strategy on how to attack the FL portion?


I am going to be looking to do this as well. Appears as though the MBE score transfer policy in FL was just changed as of 11/30/17 so I don't know how many people will have helpful info on the topic. Apparently, the FL exam is exceedingly difficult and its "easier" to pass mathematically if you take the MBE with it because they average the scores.

While they just recently allowed you to transfer MBE scores from another jurisdiction, I believe it will be treated the same as if you had passed Part B (MBE) but failed Part A on a prior FL exam, so there should be some people that have taken this approach. I guess my main concern is whether the FL part is "exceedingly difficult," and all prior takers should have some insight into that.
Last edited by KeepitKind on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

byag

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby byag » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 am

KeepitKind wrote:
byag wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:Ok, seems I can use a previous MBE score and focus on the FL portion alone. I will only have a few weeks off from work to study, so I would prefer not to take the MBE, though I note that the bar will only count a new MBE score if it brings my score up. Has anyone recently been in this position and taken this approach? Is there enough overlap with the MBE that I might as well take both parts? Any strategy on how to attack the FL portion?


I am going to be looking to do this as well. Appears as though the MBE score transfer policy in FL was just changed as of 11/30/17 so I don't know how many people will have helpful info on the topic. Apparently, the FL exam is exceedingly difficult and its "easier" to pass mathematically if you take the MBE with it because they average the scores.

While they just recently allowed you to transfer MBE scores from another jurisdiction, I believe it will be treated the same as if you had passed Part B in a prior FL exam but failed Part A in the past, so there should be some people that have taken this approach. I guess my main concern is whether the FL part is "exceedingly difficult," and all prior takers should have some insight into that.


Agreed. I don't know why more people aren't commenting on this thread, kind of a big change that could affect a large swath of people.

Tony48

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby Tony48 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Took the FL bar in July. I did much better on the FL portion than the MBE (essays have always been my thing), but on average, it’s the other way around. In fact, when you receive your scores, they tell you that if you need to take it again, you stand a much greater chance of passing if you take both parts (FL and MBE) instead of just FL. Because I believe that they will average your scores only if you take both parts during the same administration, and that the MBE typically brings your score up.

byag

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby byag » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Tony48 wrote:Took the FL bar in July. I did much better on the FL portion than the MBE (essays have always been my thing), but on average, it’s the other way around. In fact, when you receive your scores, they tell you that if you need to take it again, you stand a much greater chance of passing if you take both parts (FL and MBE) instead of just FL. Because I believe that they will average your scores only if you take both parts during the same administration, and that the MBE typically brings your score up.


This is really helpful, thanks. What did your prep look like?

lapin

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Re: Florida Bar Exam - Official Thread

Postby lapin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Tony48 wrote:
lapin wrote:I'm in the exact same boat as you, Tony. I *think* we just wait for another letter.


Got my letter in the mail yesterday and I’m good to go. I was going to contact them next week if I never received anything.


Same... received mine today.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests