75% time for MBE, 25% for essays for NY bar prep?

bluewin888

75% time for MBE, 25% for essays for NY bar prep?

Postby bluewin888 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

Shall follow barbri schedule? Barbri starts tomorrow.. excited.. will go to live class in NYC.. the class shall help memorize all testing points, right?

1. does MBE test anything barbri not cover in class?

2. Plan to attend all classes.. and spend all after-class time for MBE in first month. half-half for 2nd month between MBE and essays.

atlien

Re: 75% time for MBE, 25% for essays for NY bar prep?

Postby atlien » Tue May 19, 2015 11:04 am

By "class," do you just mean the in-person lectures or the course in general? If you're relying on lectures alone to learn, then you will not pass. The MBE tests lots of exceptions and nuances, which is impossible to learn solely by lecture. You memorize MBE rules by doing lots of MBEs outside of the in-person class/lecture. In fact, I think bar exam lectures are a huge waste of time because the average person cannot retain info that way.As you sift through these boards, you'll probably notice this is the general consensus.

Now, if you're asking whether the MBE tests material outside of the course overall, sure it does. But I know people who've passed using Barbri alone. I know other people who also felt the need to use supplements (i.e. PMBR, Kaplan Qbank, Adaptibar). So, the material Barbri provided was not enough to memorize the testing points for them.

But people all learn differently. Perhaps use Barbri alone for a couple of weeks or see where you're at when you do the simulated MBE day, which you take about a month into your studies. If you're still getting a bunch of questions wrong, use the supplements more regularly.

Also, going back to the idea that "people all learn differently," I listened to posters/other bar exam takers when they said to focus on the MBE because the essays are subjective blah blah blah. I failed the essays mightily thinking this general rule would apply to me. Why take that chance? There's no point in taking a risk on this miserable ass exam. So the safest bet is to focus on both. The only reason I passed the second time around because I improved my essays enormously. My MBEs were subpar--even lower than the first time!-- but I killed the essays because I put a shit ton more effort into them and passed in February.

If you're naturally good at multiple choice in standardized testing, maybe focus on the MBE because studying it will actually yield something positive. I'm not that great with multiple choice, but not horrendous, so I focused on the essays because I knew there were some easy fixes that would yield a better return on my studying.

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks a lot!

By class, meaning will be attending onsite LIVE class. I know, from barbri schedule, it will take tons of time from May 20 to July 10, leaving little time to do practice. Quite a dilemma though; I have to go classes, since I have not taken some courses in law schools or to refresh the testing points.

I bought Adaptibar for real question practice. So the LIVE class runs from 9:30- 1PM. I shall be able to devote my time 2PM to 9PM for MBE practice.

atlien wrote:By "class," do you just mean the in-person lectures or the course in general? If you're relying on lectures alone to learn, then you will not pass. The MBE tests lots of exceptions and nuances, which is impossible to learn solely by lecture. You memorize MBE rules by doing lots of MBEs outside of the in-person class/lecture. In fact, I think bar exam lectures are a huge waste of time because the average person cannot retain info that way.As you sift through these boards, you'll probably notice this is the general consensus.

Now, if you're asking whether the MBE tests material outside of the course overall, sure it does. But I know people who've passed using Barbri alone. I know other people who also felt the need to use supplements (i.e. PMBR, Kaplan Qbank, Adaptibar). So, the material Barbri provided was not enough to memorize the testing points for them.

But people all learn differently. Perhaps use Barbri alone for a couple of weeks or see where you're at when you do the simulated MBE day, which you take about a month into your studies. If you're still getting a bunch of questions wrong, use the supplements more regularly.

Also, going back to the idea that "people all learn differently," I listened to posters/other bar exam takers when they said to focus on the MBE because the essays are subjective blah blah blah. I failed the essays mightily thinking this general rule would apply to me. Why take that chance? There's no point in taking a risk on this miserable ass exam. So the safest bet is to focus on both. The only reason I passed the second time around because I improved my essays enormously. My MBEs were subpar--even lower than the first time!-- but I killed the essays because I put a shit ton more effort into them and passed in February.

If you're naturally good at multiple choice in standardized testing, maybe focus on the MBE because studying it will actually yield something positive. I'm not that great with multiple choice, but not horrendous, so I focused on the essays because I knew there were some easy fixes that would yield a better return on my studying.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue May 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Well 2-9pm should be enough for practice in the early going.

bluewin888 wrote:Thanks a lot!

By class, meaning will be attending onsite LIVE class. I know, from barbri schedule, it will take tons of time from May 20 to July 10, leaving little time to do practice. Quite a dilemma though; I have to go classes, since I have not taken some courses in law schools or to refresh the testing points.

I bought Adaptibar for real question practice. So the LIVE class runs from 9:30- 1PM. I shall be able to devote my time 2PM to 9PM for MBE practice.

atlien wrote:By "class," do you just mean the in-person lectures or the course in general? If you're relying on lectures alone to learn, then you will not pass. The MBE tests lots of exceptions and nuances, which is impossible to learn solely by lecture. You memorize MBE rules by doing lots of MBEs outside of the in-person class/lecture. In fact, I think bar exam lectures are a huge waste of time because the average person cannot retain info that way.As you sift through these boards, you'll probably notice this is the general consensus.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue May 19, 2015 7:55 pm

For what it's worth, there's an MBE score you can get—it's somewhere in the high 160s—where you (practically) can't fail in New York, no matter how badly you do on the NY sections. Seperac can help you figure it out.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”