Tips for repeaters

nvbar2015

Tips for repeaters

Postby nvbar2015 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:07 pm

I failed the NV bar by 1.6 points in July, but just passed in February 2015. It was a devastating and embarrassing experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I just wanted to pay it forward by giving some pieces of advice I learned.

1. If you are taking barbri or another course, don't be afraid to modify the schedule. When I took barbri the first time, I followed their schedule to a tee, and I still walked into the exam feeling like I didn't know enough law. The MBE looked like it was written in another language. I found that there just wasn't enough time to really memorize the law by focusing on all of the barbri assignments. For February, I found that I was scoring consistently well enough on the MBE, so I focused more on the essays which was my downfall in July. Every night, I would spend 1 hour reviewing subjects. I would spend roughly 30 mins reviewing an MBE subject already covered, and then 30 minutes reviewing an essay subject in the order of its test frequency.

For the last month I completely abandoned the barbri schedule (I decided to do this because of this link and I assembled something similar for the final month: http://www.betterflashcardblog.com/2011 ... thout.html, near the very bottom of the page). I would work on one MBE subject every morning (doing some MBE question sets, outlining essays, and going through 4 MPT's over the course of the month), and then in the afternoon I would work on a state essay subject (starting with the most frequently tested). Each night, I would go over the MBE subject from the day before using critical pass flashcards. Doing this I was able to go over the MBE subjects at least 5 times in the last month, and go over most essay subjects 3-4 times, whereas in July I think I went over the subjects at most 2 times in the past month. I skipped the simulated MBE for February (In July, I got a 101 on the SMBE, 140 scaled on the actual exam). I got a 144 scaled which isn't amazing but it's enough to pass in NV. I walked into the exam calm, and confident. At the end, I was about 85% sure I would pass, though I felt really crappy about one essay.

2. If you only failed by a small margin the first time, don't completely reinvent the wheel.For the February exam, I didn't completely reinvent the wheel because I failed by a small margin my first time. I still watched the lectures, only this time on normal speed instead of 1.5x. I found the lectures to be very helpful. I basically did what I did for July, but added and changed a few things which I didn't think worked for me in July.

3. Barbri's essay grading is a joke. 2 out of the 3 essays I submitted this time had multiple comments where the graded stated incorrect law and I was docked for it even though I had written the correct law.

4. Don't drink too much coffee. I have always been a coffee drinker but my norm was 1-2 cups per day. For July, I was drinking 6-8, even late at night which was something I never did. I was even taking 200mg caffeine pills. I was living in a foggy haze for pretty much the entire study period. If you feel tired, you need to sleep, you don't need more coffee. Take a 20 minute or 30 minute power nap, it will help you.

5. You don't have to stop your life for the bar exam. The first time I took it I didn't really take my gf out, I skipped workouts, I didn't play videogames, I didn;t watch tv shows I liked. I was miserable. The second time, I only studied until about 9 pm except the last month. I took my gf out, never missed any workouts, took plenty of breaks to watch tv shows and play video games.

6. Adjust your sleep schedule 2 or 3 weeks before the exam, so that you are wide awake and studying at the time the exam starts.

7. Each day after you take the exam, rate how you felt about each essay on a scale of 1-5, and write a few comments on how you felt about each essay, MPT, MBE. Your thoughts are most accurate here, because after 2 months you will completely second guess yourself. When you start to second guess yourself, you can look at your comments. This helped calm me down. Don't look at the lecture handout though as that will make you feel crappy wondering if you missed a bunch of stuff.

8. Avoid TLS until maybe 1 week from results. All it will do is stress you out, and make you second guess yourself.

9. Work. Even if you don't have/get a legal job, work at a crappy job. It will make the time fly, give you something to do during the day, take your mind off results day, and give you a little spending money.

Feel free to add other tips

bluewin888

Re: Tips for repeaters

Postby bluewin888 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:00 pm

The MBE looked like it was written in another language.????

how so? barbri questions NOT good?

Did you do previous tested questions?

nvbar2015 wrote:I failed the NV bar by 1.6 points in July, but just passed in February 2015. It was a devastating and embarrassing experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I just wanted to pay it forward by giving some pieces of advice I learned.

1. If you are taking barbri or another course, don't be afraid to modify the schedule. When I took barbri the first time, I followed their schedule to a tee, and I still walked into the exam feeling like I didn't know enough law. The MBE looked like it was written in another language. I found that there just wasn't enough time to really memorize the law by focusing on all of the barbri assignments. For February, I found that I was scoring consistently well enough on the MBE, so I focused more on the essays which was my downfall in July. Every night, I would spend 1 hour reviewing subjects. I would spend roughly 30 mins reviewing an MBE subject already covered, and then 30 minutes reviewing an essay subject in the order of its test frequency.

For the last month I completely abandoned the barbri schedule (I decided to do this because of this link and I assembled something similar for the final month: http://www.betterflashcardblog.com/2011 ... thout.html, near the very bottom of the page). I would work on one MBE subject every morning (doing some MBE question sets, outlining essays, and going through 4 MPT's over the course of the month), and then in the afternoon I would work on a state essay subject (starting with the most frequently tested). Each night, I would go over the MBE subject from the day before using critical pass flashcards. Doing this I was able to go over the MBE subjects at least 5 times in the last month, and go over most essay subjects 3-4 times, whereas in July I think I went over the subjects at most 2 times in the past month. I skipped the simulated MBE for February (In July, I got a 101 on the SMBE, 140 scaled on the actual exam). I got a 144 scaled which isn't amazing but it's enough to pass in NV. I walked into the exam calm, and confident. At the end, I was about 85% sure I would pass, though I felt really crappy about one essay.

2. If you only failed by a small margin the first time, don't completely reinvent the wheel.For the February exam, I didn't completely reinvent the wheel because I failed by a small margin my first time. I still watched the lectures, only this time on normal speed instead of 1.5x. I found the lectures to be very helpful. I basically did what I did for July, but added and changed a few things which I didn't think worked for me in July.

3. Barbri's essay grading is a joke. 2 out of the 3 essays I submitted this time had multiple comments where the graded stated incorrect law and I was docked for it even though I had written the correct law.

4. Don't drink too much coffee. I have always been a coffee drinker but my norm was 1-2 cups per day. For July, I was drinking 6-8, even late at night which was something I never did. I was even taking 200mg caffeine pills. I was living in a foggy haze for pretty much the entire study period. If you feel tired, you need to sleep, you don't need more coffee. Take a 20 minute or 30 minute power nap, it will help you.

5. You don't have to stop your life for the bar exam. The first time I took it I didn't really take my gf out, I skipped workouts, I didn't play videogames, I didn;t watch tv shows I liked. I was miserable. The second time, I only studied until about 9 pm except the last month. I took my gf out, never missed any workouts, took plenty of breaks to watch tv shows and play video games.

6. Adjust your sleep schedule 2 or 3 weeks before the exam, so that you are wide awake and studying at the time the exam starts.

7. Each day after you take the exam, rate how you felt about each essay on a scale of 1-5, and write a few comments on how you felt about each essay, MPT, MBE. Your thoughts are most accurate here, because after 2 months you will completely second guess yourself. When you start to second guess yourself, you can look at your comments. This helped calm me down. Don't look at the lecture handout though as that will make you feel crappy wondering if you missed a bunch of stuff.

8. Avoid TLS until maybe 1 week from results. All it will do is stress you out, and make you second guess yourself.

9. Work. Even if you don't have/get a legal job, work at a crappy job. It will make the time fly, give you something to do during the day, take your mind off results day, and give you a little spending money.

Feel free to add other tips

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon May 18, 2015 8:14 pm

6-8 coffees a day...you must have been having heart palpitations. How did you sleep at night? Ambien? caffeine pills...Jessie Spano.

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:19 pm

bluewin888 wrote:The MBE looked like it was written in another language.????

[/quote]

Yeah the first time I took the exam, the MBE questions looked like they were written in another language. They didn't look anything like Barbri's. I used Emanuels strategies and tactics 5th edition, which is supposed to contain real MBE questions.

The second time I took it, they looked exactly like barbri's.

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:40 am

You meant barbri questions are similar in style to real MBE questions?

nvbar2015 wrote:
bluewin888 wrote:The MBE looked like it was written in another language.????

Yeah the first time I took the exam, the MBE questions looked like they were written in another language. They didn't look anything like Barbri's. I used Emanuels strategies and tactics 5th edition, which is supposed to contain real MBE questions.

The second time I took it, they looked exactly like barbri's.[/quote]

Bar Slayer

Postby Bar Slayer » Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 am

I failed NY the first time, passed the second time, and passed CA my first time.

NVbar 2015 has some good advice. Here's what I'd add:

For repeaters it's important to address your specific, individual weaknesses. That means large bar prep company schedules (e.g. barbri/themis) are of limited help. They provide you with useful materials, but they can't tell you which stuff to focus on, and which stuff to skip. Take some time and analyze your results. Time and energy are limited resources, and you should be focusing all your energy on your weak areas.

I concur that Barbri practice MBEs look different than the actual MBE. Barbri's questions are longer, and more complicated. A large part of the time I spent on those questions was dedicated to finding out what the facts were, and what the question is. The actual ones are short and tricky. There's not much to process or figure out. (I know I'm not being very articulate but that's kind of the main difference I've noticed.)

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 pm

What is the best MBE practice tool on market?

Are the questions on adaptibar very old or GOOD ENOUGH for current MBE review? How is Adaptiable similar to currrent real MBE questions , like July 2015? I know adptibar use past real Qs.

Bar Slayer wrote:I failed NY the first time, passed the second time, and passed CA my first time.

For repeaters it's important to address your specific, individual weaknesses. That means large bar prep company schedules (e.g. barbri/themis) are of limited help. They provide you with useful materials, but they can't tell you which stuff to focus on, and which stuff to skip. Take some time and analyze your results. Time and energy are limited resources, and you should be focusing all your energy on your weak areas.

I concur that Barbri practice MBEs look different than the actual MBE. Barbri's questions are longer, and more complicated. A large part of the time I spent on those questions was dedicated to finding out what the facts were, and what the question is. The actual ones are short and tricky. There's not much to process or figure out. (I know I'm not being very articulate but that's kind of the main difference I've noticed.)

Bar Slayer

Postby Bar Slayer » Tue May 19, 2015 12:36 pm

bluewin888 wrote:What is the best MBE practice tool on market?

Are the questions on adaptibar very old or GOOD ENOUGH for current MBE review? How is Adaptiable similar to currrent real MBE questions , like July 2015? I know adptibar use past real Qs.

Bar Slayer wrote:I failed NY the first time, passed the second time, and passed CA my first time.

Adaptibar is good enough for MBE review. I thought they were more similar to the actual MBE than the Barbri questions.

hotsummer

Postby hotsummer » Tue May 19, 2015 2:07 pm

I have an access to Kaplan questions, but since MBE is my weak point, I'd like to try more questions. Do you recommend Adaptibar in my case? I heard one of those prep course overlaps a lot with Kaplan questions, but don't remember which one. I wonder if it's Adaptibar... otherwise, I would like to add Adaptiba though. Any advice?

Bar Slayer wrote:

Adaptibar is good enough for MBE review. I thought they were more similar to the actual MBE than the Barbri questions.

Bar Slayer

Postby Bar Slayer » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

hotsummer wrote:I have an access to Kaplan questions, but since MBE is my weak point, I'd like to try more questions. Do you recommend Adaptibar in my case? I heard one of those prep course overlaps a lot with Kaplan questions, but don't remember which one. I wonder if it's Adaptibar... otherwise, I would like to add Adaptiba though. Any advice?

Bar Slayer wrote:

Yes, I would recommend Adaptibar in your case. I've used Kaplan questions before, and they are good. But Adaptibar has released questions, and the way it's set up on the website makes tracking your performance and reviewing your answers easy. 90% of practicing MBE is about tracking performance, working on your weak areas, and understanding why you got questions wrong.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Tue May 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bar Slayer

Postby Bar Slayer » Tue May 19, 2015 4:41 pm

underthirty wrote:
Bar Slayer wrote:Yes, I would recommend Adaptibar in your case. I've used Kaplan questions before, and they are good. But Adaptibar has released questions, and the way it's set up on the website makes tracking your performance and reviewing your answers easy. 90% of practicing MBE is about tracking performance, working on your weak areas, and understanding why you got questions wrong.

Kaplan's MBE Qbank has performace traking (even breaking it down to the topics within each subject), explanations why each answer choice is right or wrong, and targeted practice. Also, Kaplan's Civ Pro MBE questions were spot on for the February exam. Adaptibar doesn't have old real Civ Pro because there aren't any. NCBE only released ten sample questions, which are available here.

hotsummer, if you think you need a lot more MBE Qs (you've already run through Kaplan's nearly 2300 questions?!?!), and want to spend a lot of money - instead of getting Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics - on old, retired MBE Qs, I recommend getting barmax for $199 over adapitbar for $395.

That's fair, I had used the Kaplan PMBR books. As long as Kaplan has the breakdowns they're good too.

Also-wow I can't believe Adaptibar's prices have gone up so much. I thought about Barmax previously too, but they were only available on Apple products--they weren't web based. Has that changed?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”