MBE Practice Questions Answer Log

MBE Practice Questions Answer Log

Postby 2121212 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:14 am

Seems like the general consensus on the best way to study for the MBE is by doing tons of practice questions. For people who have found this helpful can you share your methods? How many questions should I be doing per day? Did you keep a log of wrong answers? If so, how did you format your list of wrong answers? Did you write down the question and the correct answer or just the answer? How often did you review the wrong answers?

Thanks in advance!

underthirty

Re: MBE Practice Questions Answer Log

Postby underthirty » Tue May 12, 2015 11:48 am

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue May 12, 2015 12:01 pm

For studying in general, I had a goal to do about 51/day (though it was rare I actually got through that many). I was working full time. So I reviewed notes in the morning before work and did practice questions after work. Using Kaplan's Q bank, I aimed to do 17 questions of the subtopics I had reviewed in my notes from my morning study session. For example, if I only got through the notes on offer, acceptance and consideration, I did 17 of these questions and not stuff like performance or remedies. After studying additional subtopics, I would then aim to do 34 questions of all of those subtopics. I liked the Qbank precisely because I had the option of only testing the material I had actually reviewed and could focus on my weak areas.

For the method of logging answers, I used an excel spreadsheet. I made a column for each subject. After doing my 17 or 34 question sessions, I would log the wrong answers under the respective column and wrote the subtopic before the rule, e.g. SOF- a confirmation memo on letterhead satisfies the SOF requirement for a signature, discharge/excuse- a temporary impossibility does not excuse parties from fulfilling a contract.

I would then regularly sort the column alphabetically so I could identify my trouble spots. So if I had 10 SOFs in a row compared to 4 discharge/excuse questions, I knew I had to review SOF more. I reviewed these missed questions before each MBE practice session.

Once I assessed my weaker spots, I created an MBE outline of the material I found the trickiest and/or most frequently tested. In the 3 or so weeks leading up to the exam, I reviewed my missed questions excel sheet less and reviewed my MBE outline more. I would review a specific subject in my outline right before doing MBE practice qs on that subject.

In the final two weeks, I did a bunch of mixed sets.

Postby 2121212 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:39 pm

This is very helpful. Much appreciated.

I'm taking Barbri but was planning to supplement it with Kaplan for MBE questions. Do you guys have any opinion on whether I should do the 3-day Kaplan course or just sign up for the Q-Bank? Thanks again!

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

For me it is was not how many questions I did, it was how I approached the questions. At first I would go over all of my answers including correct ones, to make sure I was getting them correct for the right reason. After, I would go over every single wrong answer. If I noticed there was a particular type of question that I frequently got wrong, I used barbri's studysmart program in practice mode to specifically practice those types of questions.

I'm in a state where the MBE is only weighted 1/3, so I gave far more priority to the essays. I still got a 145 MBE though which isn't amazing but is enough to pass. I failed the first time, but it was due to my essays.
Last edited by nvbar2015 on Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psteele99

Postby psteele99 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:50 pm

I passed February 2015 using Themis on my first try. I did find the question log helpful. I just went through the diagnostics that Themis provides, wrote the rules that I was weak on. Then, I translated the ones that weren't sticking as a result of me just writing them, to flash cards. It helped. Just depends on how you learn. I also did it toward the last two weeks of studying as part of the memorization process.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:36 pm

I definitely think a question log is helpful. I divided mine by topic and I only wrote down the rules for questions I got wrong - eventually you'll notice patterns and it'll stick.

After I finished each MBE subject I started going questions and I recommend doing some every single day. Initially they were sets of 17 and 34 and the last month I did about 50 questions/day, 200 questions for the milestone exam. Be sure that you're good with timing of the question (34 per hour) - I know some people are great at it and some people are not.

I didn't take a single day off from MBE questions but I also failed the bar exam the first time I took it due to the MBE so you really have to know your strengths and weaknesses.

Postby 2121212 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for all the responses. I starting making a log last night with barbri questions. I typed up the question I got wrong and the correct answer. My only issue is that this seems pretty time consuming. I'll continue to give it a try until I sign up for Kaplan.

atlien

Postby atlien » Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

2121212 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I starting making a log last night with barbri questions. I typed up the question I got wrong and the correct answer. My only issue is that this seems pretty time consuming. I'll continue to give it a try until I sign up for Kaplan.

Wait, you typed up the entire question?? Just write out the subject area and the correct rule of the answers you got wrong to save time. Typing out the question is unnecessary and draining, especially when you get to some of the longer real estate questions.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:33 pm

2121212 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I starting making a log last night with barbri questions. I typed up the question I got wrong and the correct answer. My only issue is that this seems pretty time consuming. I'll continue to give it a try until I sign up for Kaplan.
to echo the post above me, you should only be writing the rule statement for the questions you got wrong - it should be a sentence or less. A quick reason why it was wrong/the correct legal principle that you didn't apply

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Wed May 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes, drill those practice questions. I used Themis to pass Texas on my first try and did close to 2,000 practice questions by the end of the course. I kept a Word document for each MBE topic and added a rule statement for each MBE question I got wrong to the doc. I did not bother retyping out the question or logging the Themis question #.

Each rule statement was very short, for example: "Residential lease cannot place duty to make repairs on tenant, and any provision to that effect is void." I read and reread my list of rule statements over and over. I especially always took the time to read my rule statements before I started a practice set in that topic. I also printed out those rule statements and read them in my car during the bar MBE day lunch break.

Also, when I started getting to the mixed topic sets, I found it very helpful to identify which topic area I was in right of the bat and make a little note on the question. This just got my mind working in the right department, and I used the same strategy on test day.

Postby 2121212 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Lol - Thanks for the heads up. Not typing the question makes sense and will cut the time down significantly. Thanks!!

PJP

Postby PJP » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:24 am

I used the PMBR red book for 2011 CA July bar and passed. After a few years of practicing, now I'm trying to take a bar exam in another jurisdiction this July. What I remember doing in 2011 for the MBE portion is that I did all the red book + NCBE sets (3). I only had about 25 days to study for the whole thing and I put in about 10 intense hours a day 7 days a week. I did about 50-60 questions a day and really studied the law / nuances from the answers in the back. After finishing all about 1000 questions, I was averaging about 65-70% and then I took the NCBE released questions and my scaled score was something like 155. I suppose I focused more on the quality than quantity as obviously some people do 2000+ MBE questions. On the day of the exam, I remember the real MBE was easier than the red book but slightly more difficult than the NCBE but I was able to navigate through similar questions pretty quickly and by that time I was able to logically approach many questions that had two seemingly right answers. I don't know what I got on my MBE since I passed but my plan for the July exam is something similar. Hope it works out again. :wink:

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:42 am

I took the ny bar in 2013. What I did was review the answers after finishing a set, both for the ones I got right and the ones I got wrong. I essentially wrote a short sentence with the rule for the questions I missed or got correct for the wrong reasons into a word doc, sorted by subject.

It didn't take long but was pretty helpful. I would read through it every couple of days. It was only a few pages and seemed useful.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”