Can I go without a Bar Prep course?

TrustMeImnothere

Can I go without a Bar Prep course?

Postby TrustMeImnothere » Fri May 08, 2015 12:15 pm

I had Themis in February but unfortunately I wasn't able to take the exam due to a death in the family. I had all the materials and watched all the lectures that I don't need them. However, they want me to pay an admin fee that I don't think is fair, considering those who fail don't have to.

Anyway, I was wondering whether I can get away without using Themis again and spending the admin fee on something like AdaptiBar? I have all the materials, lecture notes and a majority of the essay questions.

Has anyone done this? I know it's not ideal but I don't feel comfortable paying again for a prep service that didn't actually help me as I couldn't take the exam. And I have asked them for a waiver but they said they cannot.

waxecstatic

Re: Can I go without a Bar Prep course?

Postby waxecstatic » Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Really everyone is different. You'll see people on here who self-study, that is without any prep company and pass, and people who have all the resources who still struggle. I used Themis as well and did not pass by about 10 points. I am not taking them again. I know where my weaknesses are, and have signed up for Adaptibar. It does seem pricey but if it means getting the bar out of the way, I think it's worth it--plus they have all ACTUAL mbe questions. I think that's huge. Another avenue you could go down is going on eBay and getting the Conviser Mini Review by Barbri. It's pretty inexpensive and has all the outlines for the MBE subjects (except Civ Pro). Between that, Adaptibar, and your resources that you still have available from Themis, I think you definitely have adequate resources.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 pm

As long as you have *ample* MBE questions with detailed answer explanations and essay questions with sample answers just to see if you spotted the relevant issues/law after outlining or writing them yourself, I think it's perfectly doable.

I failed the first time with Themis and the second I just used the MBE questions and essays from the program.

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am

I studied Themis for a about a month before withdrawing from July 2014. A friend then gave me his July 2014 barbri materials. I ended up using the barbri more than the Themis and passed CO in Feb. As has been said, it depends on the person. I only practiced about 300 MBE questions and read a few model essay answers. Most of my studying was reading the Barbri lecture handouts and outlines while trying to apply the rules in my head with various scenarios. Passed with room to spare. Study smart, not necessarily long.

atlien

Postby atlien » Mon May 11, 2015 3:26 pm

It's hard to answer questions like these because it really all depends on the individual. I think the best indicator is honestly assessing your past experience. Are you typically able to self-study? When you studied for the LSAT, did you go it alone or did you use a test prep company? Do you have the discipline to study without the structure of a course? Think about how you actually learn instead of how you wish you could learn--the bar exam is no time to try new methods that haven't already worked for you.

I would add that since the new exam has Civ Pro in it, I didn't feel comfortable just doing practice questions to learn the law. I was a repeater, and the primary reason I wanted to use a bar prep company again (other than the fact that Themis was free for people who failed with Themis the first time around) was because I needed a simple way to review the Civ Pro rules. I also wanted to have graded essays, so having a course to fall back on (even though I ultimately studied a lot of my own hodgepodge of supplemental materials) just made me feel a bit more secure.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:52 pm

toulon99 wrote:I studied Themis for a about a month before withdrawing from July 2014. A friend then gave me his July 2014 barbri materials. I ended up using the barbri more than the Themis and passed CO in Feb. As has been said, it depends on the person. I only practiced about 300 MBE questions and read a few model essay answers. Most of my studying was reading the Barbri lecture handouts and outlines while trying to apply the rules in my head with various scenarios. Passed with room to spare. Study smart, not necessarily long.

how could you possibly know this?

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Because I got my score...

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:08 pm

toulon99 wrote:Because I got my score...

I didn't know there were states where people that passed get to see their score. what state did you take it in?

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:58 pm

underthirty wrote:
chimp wrote:
toulon99 wrote:Because I got my score...

I didn't know there were states where people that passed get to see their score. what state did you take it in?

toulon99 wrote:I ended up using the barbri more than the Themis and passed CO in Feb.

CO is a UBE jurisdiction. Additionally, quite a few non-UBE states provide passing applicants with their scores.

interesting. you learn something new every day.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 12, 2015 4:14 pm

After taking Barbri and passing NY I self studied minimally and passed PA by a good margin (we get scores). I used outlines from unknown source and my NY Barbri lecture notes (just ignored NY portions). I think you don't really need a second bar course if you have the basics of answering essays down.

Bar Slayer

Postby Bar Slayer » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm

TrustMeImnothere wrote:I had Themis in February but unfortunately I wasn't able to take the exam due to a death in the family. I had all the materials and watched all the lectures that I don't need them. However, they want me to pay an admin fee that I don't think is fair, considering those who fail don't have to.

Anyway, I was wondering whether I can get away without using Themis again and spending the admin fee on something like AdaptiBar? I have all the materials, lecture notes and a majority of the essay questions.

Has anyone done this? I know it's not ideal but I don't feel comfortable paying again for a prep service that didn't actually help me as I couldn't take the exam. And I have asked them for a waiver but they said they cannot.

I have. First time out of law school I did Barbri and failed NY. Second time I self studied with their materials and passed. And this year I used Adaptibar + Conviser materials + website model questions/answers and self studied for California. I passed.

Ultimately, your engagement with the material will determine whether you pass or not. Some people need courses to be fully engaged, others do not. You have to know what kind of person you are before you make this decision.

Having said that, I think having a MBE question bank like Adaptibar, plus some state material (Conviser or Themis books) is enough. You should create your own schedule, practice like hell, and review your weak areas. If you can do that in a disciplined way, then you don't need Themis.

PJP

Postby PJP » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:33 pm

I passed CA bar without a course. I just bought enough materials online for MBE and graded essays and studied and monitored my performance improving through enough practice and learning. I think spent about $500-600 on obtaining all the materials I needed on ebay and some other sites including pmbr mbe, ncbe released questions, baressays and a couple different versions of outlines. You don't need to pay extra $1,500+ for someone to set your studying schedule to pass the bar. Just need credible materials and your own efforts.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”