Help! How to convert California Scaled MBE score

stoff

Help! How to convert California Scaled MBE score

Postby stoff » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

OK, so I failed the July 2014 California bar exam.

Now I am failing the "how to determine your raw score on the mbe" exam....

My score was 1437.000

That number doesn't seem to convert to the raw numbers based on my google searches...
someone said you just move the decimal. That seems too easy.

Is there a conversion chart somewhere??

Clearly I deserved to have failed since I cannot even interpret my own score.

L’Étranger

Re: Help! How to convert California Scaled MBE score

Postby L’Étranger » Thu May 07, 2015 9:48 pm

stoff wrote:OK, so I failed the July 2014 California bar exam.

Now I am failing the "how to determine your raw score on the mbe" exam....

My score was 1437.000

That number doesn't seem to convert to the raw numbers based on my google searches...
someone said you just move the decimal. That seems too easy.

Is there a conversion chart somewhere??

Clearly I deserved to have failed since I cannot even interpret my own score.

It's a little weird that this is your first post. If this is a flame, you've got a really warped sense of humor. But to answer your question...

Assuming you are not a flame, you only failed the bar in July by 3 scaled points, which truly sucks. When you fail, as you undoubtedly know, about a week after you find out the news, you receive a letter with your scaled written and scaled MBE scores.

Your 1437 is computed by multiplying your scaled written score by 0.65 and adding it to your scaled MBE multiplied by 0.35.

1437 = 0.65 x scaled written score + 0.35 x scaled MBE.

In that same letter, the CA bar gives you your raw written score but does not give you your raw MBE.

It's neither here nor there, but the CA bar used to also send out a chart with conversions of raw MBE scores to scaled MBE scores so that you could look up your raw MBE score, but they no longer do this.

stoff

Postby stoff » Thu May 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Thank you.
This is legit. When I got the news in November I just crammed it in a drawer and I haven't looked at it since.

I used to browse this page but never posted anything so I didn't have an account.

But to be clear, my scaled MBE score was 1437.000

My total scaled score was worse...

And I'm trying to determine if my raw MBE score alone was sufficient to waive the MBE part of the test if I were to sit for the DC bar (you need a 133). I work in a field that is almost all federal law, so it doesn't matter where I'm licensed.

Thanks for responding. So are you saying there is no way to know without that conversion chart?

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm

stoff wrote:Thank you.
This is legit. When I got the news in November I just crammed it in a drawer and I haven't looked at it since.

I used to browse this page but never posted anything so I didn't have an account.

But to be clear, my scaled MBE score was 1437.000

My total scaled score was worse...

And I'm trying to determine if my raw MBE score alone was sufficient to waive the MBE part of the test if I were to sit for the DC bar (you need a 133). I work in a field that is almost all federal law, so it doesn't matter where I'm licensed.

Thanks for responding. So are you saying there is no way to know without that conversion chart?

My bad. I enjoy being on TLS, but there are some super weird flame and troll threads on here. Anyway...

I don't know the exact details, but I believe you can obtain your raw MBE score if you contact the NCBE and pay them a nominal amount - like maybe $25.

stoff

Postby stoff » Thu May 07, 2015 10:21 pm

I hate them even more now. They are going to charge me more money for the privelege of learning how badly I failed their test that I paid thousands of dollars to take....

Anyway, thanks for your response.

If anyone has any idea what a 1437 might equate to, please let me know. I'd rather not give those parasites and more of my money, even if it is only $25, if I don't have to.

stoff

Postby stoff » Thu May 07, 2015 11:31 pm

ok... if anyone out there is reading this.

I think I have been giving myself a headache for no reason.
I don't need to know my raw MBE score. The scaled MBE score of 133 is what you need to waive the MBE for DC (and just sit for the essays).

And, as I understand it, to get a 'normal' scaled score from the California scaled score, you just move the decimal.
(old, but still true? see pg. 3: https://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/Unsuccessful_info.pdf)

Thus a California scaled MBE score of 1437.000 is a 143.7, and sufficient for DC.

Hooray, right?

BUT... I'm worried about this (see pg. 16): http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/documents/ExamInstructionsAndForms.pdf

(A) An applicant may request the Committee to accept a prior MBE
administration provided that:
1. The prior MBE scaled score is not less than 133;
2. The subjects of the prior MBE are identical to those comprising the
present MBE section; and
3. The prior administration was within 25 months of the present
administration.

#2. If the subjects of the prior MBE are identical. The MBE now covers Civ Pro, no? So I'm screwed anyway, after all this frettting.... ? July 2014 was last test without civ pro. Except for experimental questions.

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks in advance.

jm1234jd

Postby jm1234jd » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Ok, I failed the MBE portion as well on the Feb 2015! But I knew my chance was slim because my practice tests were only at about 50% & I ran out of time to bring the practice tests up before I sat for the exam, my essays (well, that's another story and not what you are asking). But, you said you scored a 1437 on the July '14 exam. You are not screwed, you just need more practice! If you have a bar review, do as many MPQs as possible. My score SCALED on MBE was 1239 - using your conversion technique that is 61% - I am very doubtful I scored that high, so it must have been a pretty hard test in Feb. for them to convert my raw around the 50% range to a jump to 61%. With that said, look back to your raw practice tests, I heard that July '14 was much easier that Feb '15, but I only heard that, I can't judge because, I didn't sit for it.

I am now scoring in the 60 to 80% on my MPQs in practice tests, but evidence is still at the 50% range. I have 3 weeks to raise it and I can raise it with more practice and review. I knew in the middle of January, that, most likely, the Feb test for me was a practice run. I'm not stupid or I don't like to waste money, but, I found that there were more important issues in my life that needed addressing than CBX. I actually enjoyed sitting for it, after the morning sickness each day. With that said, I may not pass the July administration either but if that is the case, in Feb., I will because I decided to give notice at work and pursue full time study from Nov 20 to the Feb. administration. This is a hard test, but with practice you can pass!

jm1234jd

Postby jm1234jd » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am

Here's a link to a conversion chart

http://one-timers.com/calculate-your-fi ... exam-grade

At one timers website you will find a conversion chart that states what I thought, because I only did about 400 MPQs prior to the feb CBX & my scores on the practice tests averaged 50%,the conversion chart confirms I probably only had 102 right on the Feb test based on the scaled score. I'm now averaging better and doing a lot of questions, reviewing the answered wrong will be my task next weekend.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”