Passed the NY Bar but can't seem to pass the MPRE...HELP!

britishgirlinNYC

Passed the NY Bar but can't seem to pass the MPRE...HELP!

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am

So I took the NY Bar last July, failed, re-took it in Feb 2015 and PASSED! Over the moon!

However, I have taken the MPRE twice and failed - both times I got 79. The first time (with Barbri) I didn't study at all, the second time (with Peiper) I thought I studied well but didn't improve my score at all.

What gives? Any tips? What should I be doing? I am due to take it for the 3rd time in Aug and I MUST PASS! I need to be certified.

I know, no one fails the MPRE, I feel stupid for writing this post but just really need some advice.

AreJay711

Re: Passed the NY Bar but can't seem to pass the MPRE...HELP!

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 am

I failed the MPRE after declining to study. I took the Maryland bar, which doesn't require the MPRE, but had already registered. I am retaking it in August. Maybe you should focus on the actual rules rather than the prep books. From what I remember, the prep books focused on discrete situations rather than the rules from which they are distilled.

jimsgundam

Postby jimsgundam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 am

I also failed MPRE twice. What I did to pass the third attempt was to practice even more questions. I did both Kaplan and Barbri practice questions, and was able to finish the exam in 1.5 hrs and got a 105.

I also failed July 2014 NY bar and passed this February. Congrats on passing and good luck on MPRE!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 am

There is a wealth of free materials out there. Watch the Themis, Barbri, and Kaplan videos and fill in the corresponding outlines. Do as many practice problems as possible and actually read the explanations for the questions you got wrong. Good luck.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:25 pm

I passed the CA bar on my first try and failed the MPRE twice. Finally I signed up for Barbri, and spend a month studying for it... literally outlining everything in the review book, doing every question, and memorizing the shit out of the stupid rules. I felt I knew that material inside and out and still didn't score very high my third try. I'd be happy to send you my outline.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri May 01, 2015 11:07 am

Review the questions (why the wrong answers are wrong) and watch the barbri video. Your problem isn't about understanding the rules. It's more likely about effective test-taking

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am

Did you try the What Would Jesus Do, Minus One method? As in, when in doubt, choose the second most ethical option.

britishgirlinNYC

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 pm

thank you all...!

I had no idea about the what would jesus do, minus one. I will bear that in mind from now on!

Please do send me the outlines, I will private message you, any notes would help me at this stage. My exam is in Aug but I think I'm going to start studying in June - probably an overkill but there is no way I'm risking failing a third time.

I'm going to Peiper lectures again and also Barbri, whatever I can get my hands on really.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri May 01, 2015 1:40 pm

The Barmax app gives free MPRE prep, outline, lectures, and practice questions. I'd definitely cop that if you haven't already.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:57 pm

you passed the bar and not the MPRE? You obviously have the capacity to pass it. Study for a full week (not before), read Barbri comprehensive outline, do the exams, and rewrite on a peive of paper everything Barbri says comes often in the MPRE.

BrooklynGirl

Postby BrooklynGirl » Fri May 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Do as many practice questions as possible. I failed the first time and then did the practice questions in the BarBri Prof Resp book and did much better.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Fri May 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Congratulations on passing the NY Bar! When I first took the MPRE, I attended the Barbri video session, completed all of the practice questions and reviewed my PR outline. I passed for the state I was attending law school in but not for the state I wanted to actually practice in.

My second time around, an academic success advisor recommended that in addition to repeating the practice questions, review straight from the Model Rules and pay close attention to the comments section for each rule. This was a game changer for me! I flew through the exam because the answers literally popped off the page. Afterwards, people were complaining about how tough it was, I just nodded my head because I did want to make anyone feel worse. I passed it with a 116. Sometimes reading full rules aid in understanding the condensed version.

I hope this helps.

Good luck in August.

MrLawMan

Postby MrLawMan » Fri May 01, 2015 5:22 pm

ymmv wrote:Did you try the What Would Jesus Do, Minus One method? As in, when in doubt, choose the second most ethical option.

Did this; studied for about 1.5 hours the night before (most of it devoted to judicial ethics since I didn't cover those in my law school's professional responsibility course). Realized it was too late to cram and gave up. Did the same with two equally lazy friends. I passed with a 93 and one other friend with a 96; the other guy failed.

Obviously don't rely on it but when in doubt, I don't think it's a bad strategy. Most of the questions are about what one is compelled to do - like many legal tests, it's about identifying brightlines.

marztri

Postby marztri » Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Glad to see you passed the bar having failed first time. I failed in Feb, retaking for July. Would really appreciate any tips. At a pretty low point at the moment having worked so much. I did pass the MPRE first try with a 112. So I would be more than happy to send you my outline and the extra material I put together from the practice exams. make sure you do those practice exams. big help they are. Also there are past exams you can buy from ncbe. May help.

britishgirlinNYC

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Sat May 02, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks all, I'm going to try all the method and see what works best. I'm foreign educated/applicant, so I didn't study the PR topic ever in my life until I studied for the MPRE last Aug. It's fairly straightforward but I get lazy and can't focus....now that I have motivation hopefully that will change!

Please send any outlines you have to: topoftherock2013@gmail.com

Thank you!

britishgirlinNYC

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Sat May 02, 2015 10:50 am

marztri wrote:Glad to see you passed the bar having failed first time. I failed in Feb, retaking for July. Would really appreciate any tips. At a pretty low point at the moment having worked so much. I did pass the MPRE first try with a 112. So I would be more than happy to send you my outline and the extra material I put together from the practice exams. make sure you do those practice exams. big help they are. Also there are past exams you can buy from ncbe. May help.

Sorry to hear about the Bar, I know that sinking feeling :( ...Here is something I wrote on another forum, and though it was to another foreign applicant, it's accurate as to what I did/how I studied.

"Hi, I am also UK educated with an LLB, took the bar exam last July and got 662 (124 MBE, 5.2 average on essays). I took Barbri and they also gave me super high essay scores every time I submitted one, which really gave me a lot of confidence but also genuine disbelief when I got 4.6 on one of the essays in the actual exam. I'm sorry you failed, I know the feeling, especially when you know that passing is attainable.

Here is my feedback:

NY: The best thing to do is practice ALL the past papers until about 2008 (or more if you wish), and read every single answer on the Bole website. They give you the best guidance on what the examiners think is a good/above average score. I did every single essay (prob about 90 total), sometimes under timed conditions and other times to issue spot/lay out skeleton plan. You will see they test a lot of the same stuff over and over.

For MBE: I was told my scaled 124 score was low. I wasn't that good at multiple choice in general so last summer I did every single MC question available to me (Barbri, Emanuel) which was around 3000 questions total, so I was further surprised that I got that low score. Barbri tells you to get an average of 126 raw.
This time round, I did all the same Barbri MC questions they provided, plus Kaplan & Peiper books (about 4500 total) - if you know people doing different providers, swap books and questions, which is what I did and saved a lot of $$. I got 141 in Feb and passed. I worked my little arse off to get that score, it was no easy feat for me.

Practice is KEY, do every single question available to you. I really believe it's the best way to passing NY bar.

Also, for my second round with Barbri (second time if free), I took it online and did everything all over again - I watched every single lecture again, took notes all over again....everything actually! I really found that it helped, especially to remind me again of all the content. Watching the lectures second time round also made a lot more sense to me, things seemed clearer and also it helped with memorizing. I followed their course exactly like I did the first time, but about two weeks ahead of schedule, which gave me additional time nearer the exam to cram and practice past papers."

Please let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to help in anyway I can. Failing last July left me at such a low point, so if I can help anyone else avoid that then I will do my best!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun May 03, 2015 9:56 am

ymmv wrote:Did you try the What Would Jesus Do, Minus One method? As in, when in doubt, choose the second most ethical option.

This is THE strategy. Of course do practice tests, but when you get there on test day and realize none of the answers could possibly be correct, you pick the second most ethical.

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 am

I'm in a similar situation. I passed the NY bar on my first try (July 2014), but failed my first MPRE (I took in March 2015). I'm thinking of signing up for August (I may not be able to physically able to take then, which is why I haven't signed up yet for it). I got a 77, which isn't all that shocking given how little I studied for the exam (I foolishly listened to those who said that one only need to study for a few days to pass MPRE . . . that may be true for some, but certainly not for me!). As I used Kaplan's free prep (can we use free prep with the same company twice?), I'll probably try Barbri's prep the next time around.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 am

bklynattorney wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I passed the NY bar on my first try (July 2014), but failed my first MPRE (I took in March 2015). I'm thinking of signing up for August (I may not be able to physically able to take then, which is why I haven't signed up yet for it). I got a 77, which isn't all that shocking given how little I studied for the exam (I foolishly listened to those who said that one only need to study for a few days to pass MPRE . . . that may be true for some, but certainly not for me!). As I used Kaplan's free prep (can we use free prep with the same company twice?), I'll probably try Barbri's prep the next time around.

Yes, you can use the free prep with the same company twice. I would watch the videos, fill in the corresponding outlines, and do as many practice problems that you can get your hands on. Barbri and Themis also have solid materials. Good luck!

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 am

BlueLotus wrote:
bklynattorney wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I passed the NY bar on my first try (July 2014), but failed my first MPRE (I took in March 2015). I'm thinking of signing up for August (I may not be able to physically able to take then, which is why I haven't signed up yet for it). I got a 77, which isn't all that shocking given how little I studied for the exam (I foolishly listened to those who said that one only need to study for a few days to pass MPRE . . . that may be true for some, but certainly not for me!). As I used Kaplan's free prep (can we use free prep with the same company twice?), I'll probably try Barbri's prep the next time around.

Yes, you can use the free prep with the same company twice. I would watch the videos, fill in the corresponding outlines, and do as many practice problems that you can get your hands on. Barbri and Themis also have solid materials. Good luck!

Thanks!

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Do the four sample exams on the back of the Barbri book...I did the 4 exams and reviewed the answers and got a 140 MPRE score.

The NY bar exam is like 50 times harder than the MPRE. If you passed the NY bar exam, you can easily pass the MPRE.

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

I just passed the NV bar on my second attempt and I failed the MPRE twice.

The first time I failed it, I only studied for a few days by reading the Barbri outline and watching the lecture, and maybe only doing like 30 questions. The second time, I was signed up for the MPRE the week after the July bar, and I was in Nicaragua that whole week and had zero time to study. The third time, I did what I needed to do and should have done before. Before I read any outlines or lectures I did all of the kaplan and barbri MPRE questions. I made sure I was scoring at least 80% before I moved on. I then read through the outline, then watched the kaplan lecture only. Then I went through all of the Kaplan flashcards. Finally, I took some more questions. It was a sense of relief when I passed. Probably overkill but I definitely did not want to take it again.

legalmoney

Postby legalmoney » Thu May 07, 2015 9:51 pm

All you need is 2 weeks, for a couple of hours a day to pass this test. Use kaplan's qbank and listen to the lecture. Make sure you go over the right and wrong answers, and really understand why you got an answer correct or incorrect, and you'll get a 100+. Two weeks may even be overkill but no one fails for being over prepared.

zor

Postby zor » Fri May 15, 2015 11:34 am

Congrats on the bar! You can do the MPRE!

It looks like I'm the only one here who used the Themis MPRE materials. Their outline was GOLD (way better distillation of the rules than the rules themselves). I read it 2-3x and did ALL of their online practice questions. I also watched the lectures but you can skip those, it's really all about the outline and the practice questions. I did the full "course" (2-3 weeks), mostly re-reading the outline on my commute, and finished the test in an hour with an absurdly high score.

While the "second most ethical answer" thing gets thrown around a lot as a solution, a lot of the MPRE questions are traps--read them carefully and get used to the kinds of questions they ask and the way they ask them.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Mon May 25, 2015 7:42 pm

legalmoney wrote:All you need is 2 weeks, for a couple of hours a day to pass this test.

Are you serious? All you need is like 2 days unless you are ESL. Just do the 4 practice Barbri exams and review the answers. The outlines are a waste of motherfucking time.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”