Raising MBE Score - Should I get a tutor?

hopeforthebest15

Raising MBE Score - Should I get a tutor?

Postby hopeforthebest15 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi there. I just failed the NY bar for the second time and my big issue is the MBE. The first time taking the exam I had a MBE score of 117 and I was able to raise it and get a 129 but I still failed by 1 point. Both time my written averages were good but I don't want to feel like I am relying on my essays.

I did over 2500 MBE questions from Kaplan and reviewed every single one of them this last time but it still is not enough. On the Kaplan final I got a raw score of 146 on the MBE and was consistently getting around 75% of my questions right so I am not sure really what to do.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve my MBE score? Should I hire a tutor? Are there any materials I should be looking at - i.e. Adaptibar, Criticalpass, etc?

Thanks!

TxBarTaker09

Re: Raising MBE Score - Should I get a tutor?

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm

I just passed the bar exam today on the 4th try, MBE was a huge issue for me as well, I used Dona Zimmerman to help me this time and she was fantastic. She raised my highest MBE score of a 122 to a 137.8. (Which I know 137 isn't other worldly, but I'm terrible at the MBE, so it's a fantastic score for me.) I would highly recommend getting in touch with her. She does tutoring on her own and through Kaplan (she founded PMBR).

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your latest attempt, however you'll definitely get there. I can only speak for myself, but I found the critical pass flashcards extremely helpful. (I recorded myself going through them, listened over and over again, even in my sleep) That, and the Strategics and Tactics for the MBE supplement to begin to understand the patterns of the MBE. I would think with the amount of practice ?'s you completed, the patterns would've began to jump out, however knowing what to look for helps.
Also I found the following MBE trick help me increase my score by at least 10 points consistently

http://www.barexammind.com/one-weird-trick-mbe-success/

hopeforthebest15

Postby hopeforthebest15 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 pm

TxBarTaker09 wrote:I just passed the bar exam today on the 4th try, MBE was a huge issue for me as well, I used Dona Zimmerman to help me this time and she was fantastic. She raised my highest MBE score of a 122 to a 137.8. (Which I know 137 isn't other worldly, but I'm terrible at the MBE, so it's a fantastic score for me.) I would highly recommend getting in touch with her. She does tutoring on her own and through Kaplan (she founded PMBR).

thanks! I will definitely reach out to her!

hopeforthebest15

Postby hopeforthebest15 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:26 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your latest attempt, however you'll definitely get there. I can only speak for myself, but I found the critical pass flashcards extremely helpful. (I recorded myself going through them, listened over and over again, even in my sleep) That, and the Strategics and Tactics for the MBE supplement to begin to understand the patterns of the MBE. I would think with the amount of practice ?'s you completed, the patterns would've began to jump out, however knowing what to look for helps.
Also I found the following MBE trick help me increase my score by at least 10 points consistently

http://www.barexammind.com/one-weird-trick-mbe-success/

Thanks for the advice! I am definitely going to look into your suggestions.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:25 pm

I have the same issue and am devastated. I scored a 141 on the essays for Mass including one essay I got a 7 on but only I got a 116 on the MBE. Atrocious and I cannot believe it. I don't know what else to do. I'm at my wit's end. Obviously that can be improved but I'm sick and tired of the bar exam and am have lost my confidence.

I'm looking into Adaptibar, Kaplan PMBR. Let me know what your strategy is.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't see how critical pass would help. It's just a bunch of flash cards stating rules of law which you already know. You already know the law. Your problem is the test itself. I would certainly seek a tutor.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Last edited by gaagoots on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:54 pm

gaagoots wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:I have the same issue and am devastated. I scored a 141 on the essays for Mass including one essay I got a 7 on but only I got a 116 on the MBE. Atrocious and I cannot believe it. I don't know what else to do. I'm at my wit's end. Obviously that can be improved but I'm sick and tired of the bar exam and am have lost my confidence.

I'm looking into Adaptibar, Kaplan PMBR. Let me know what your strategy is.

Although I haven't received my results, I used Adaptibar and my scores significantly increased from the time I started using it in early October until the night before the MBEs. I took all 4 OPE's from the NCBE in February and averaged 84% (ranged from 77%-90%). I put the Critical Pass flashcards on my iPad and iPhone and read through them again and again. Many times when you are doing the MBEs you will have to know the rules to get you through the process of elimination, especially evidence and RP. I didn't use their civ pro mbes they were horrible but the critical pass CP flash cards were a big help for the BLL. I left early for the a.m and p.m. sessions.

Every time I got stumped on an area of law that I either didn't know or guessed at I used a composition book as a journal and put the rules from that answer. Sometimes I had a screen shot of the particular question on my devices so I can look at it again and again when I was in line or bored.

BarMax is crap--sorry but it is. Who cares if they give you ONE explanation you need 4 for each so you know why you got it wrong. Plus the app has these distracting numbers for messages from users who didn't get the answer right, so naturally you see one with 9 replies and you think--oh great this is a tricky one.

I also used Strategies and Tactics MBE book because it hits A-D answers.

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to sign up for Adaptibar. How can I possibly do worse than a 116? And using real questions could only help. I was also looking to the Kaplan question bank. I was done with the PM session early but I felt like I was in another dimension answering the questions--especially for contract law. I felt like I was guessing on almost every question.

I walked out thinking I had passed. I felt confident on the essays and wasn't sure how I did on the MBE. I felt like it could have gone either way. My goal is to feel equally as confident on the MBE as I already do the essays.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Fri May 01, 2015 3:04 pm

It makes me very nervous to know that someone would get a 73% on the Kaplan final, a 146 that they say add 10 points to, and then a 129 scaled on the deal deal. And if you were consistently in the 70% range for their MCQ's you either had a completely outlier day somehow or Kaplan's "trust the process" strategy isn't all that trustworthy.

Did anybody else see this kind of result from Kaplan or Barbi to the real thing?

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Yeah, it seems that if OP got a 146 on the Kaplan MBE, OP should just study pretty much the same way, starting now, and take 5 full length timed tests - it seems that your knowledge of the law was solid, but you had some kind of freak-out or fatigue break-down on test day. Study hard now and then the last month take more practice exams so the actual day-of is just another practice exam for you.

Last summer, I got a 109 on Barbri's MBE, (1 month out) and got a 150 scaled on the actual MBE. I failed because of essays. Hoping for similar MBE performance this time, but judging by OPs post, who the heck knows what will happen!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”