NY Bar Feb 2015 - which course did you take?

anshulkalra

NY Bar Feb 2015 - which course did you take?

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:09 am

Is there any one who took themis and passed NY Bar Feb 2015?

I am currently considering to take a course other than Themis to sit for July 2015 exam?

atlien

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 - which course did you take?

Postby atlien » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:12 pm

I took Themis in February for NY and passed. But I also took Themis in July for NY and failed. I can assure you it was not Themis that got me to pass, so I doubt this is useful for you. I used a bunch of supplemental stuff for the majority of my studies this time around. I just kept Themis because it was free for retakers and I wanted free civ pro stuff.

Are you a retaker?

2bars

Postby 2bars » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:38 pm

1st time taker that passed with Themis. Completed just under 75% of the course and had no supplemental material.

My understanding is that many people were bewildered by the real MBE questions (myself included), regardless of the test prep company. As I talked with my friends, we all felt the test hit on far more nuanced areas than either Themis or Barbri, the program all my friends used, had seen in practice questions.

Chessiesmile

Postby Chessiesmile » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Seperac and Adaptibar.

Anyone taking the NY bar who does not use Seperac is insane. Anyone who's familiar with it will agree, guaranteed.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Chessiesmile wrote:Seperac and Adaptibar.

Anyone taking the NY bar who does not use Seperac is insane. Anyone who's familiar with it will agree, guaranteed.

YES! SAVED. MY. LIFE.

NeverAgain15

Postby NeverAgain15 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 pm

First time taker as well - I used BarBri and passed the NY Feb Bar. I scored 154 on the MBE and honestly have never heard of Separac - but maybe that would be a great way to supplement whatever course you do take. I really liked BarBri's online program and got ahead with the videos/assignments to make sure I could focus on my flashcards, practice questions and essays in the final two weeks. Personally, I found studying away from the law school environment really helped with my stress level and would recommend that no matter what course you take. Good luck!

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:09 am

I took Themis and passed, though I got quite irritated with them at times. They graded someone else's practice MPT instead of mine, and didn't do anything about it after I pointed it out. Also, the scale on which they grade the essays tells you nothing in terms of the scoring system the NY BOLE actually uses. I might have saved myself a lot of panic if they had used the real scoring system or its MBE equivalent. Their state multiple choice test questions were awful. Also, given how often car insurance appears on NY's essays they barely had any material for it.

About halfway into my 15 or so weeks of study I supplemented Themis with spaced repetition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition) using the program Anki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anki_%28software%29). I wish I had started out with it. For memorization of rules it's so much more efficient than regular studying that I can't believe I've never heard of this method integrated into a bar prep course.

If I could go back in time I'd probably use Seperac for what to study, Anki and Adaptibar for memorization and MBE practice, and find some way of getting practice essays graded on a relevant scale... I think there are a few companies and private tutors that will do that?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”