Moving During Bar Prep

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17914
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby El Pollito » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 pm

losing a few days of bar prep isn't going to make you fail

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

El Pollito wrote:losing a few days of bar prep isn't going to make you fail

Agreed, but the stress of moving right after the bar sucks. I had to mover literally during my first bar exam, and it was fucking terrible.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17914
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby El Pollito » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:09 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
El Pollito wrote:losing a few days of bar prep isn't going to make you fail

Agreed, but the stress of moving right after the bar sucks. I had to mover literally during my first bar exam, and it was fucking terrible.

i'm agreeing that they should do it during

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:14 am

El Pollito wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
El Pollito wrote:losing a few days of bar prep isn't going to make you fail

Agreed, but the stress of moving right after the bar sucks. I had to mover literally during my first bar exam, and it was fucking terrible.

i'm agreeing that they should do it during

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you meant they could take a few days to pack right before.

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby cdelgado » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm

This is a little concerning for me. My bar prep starts the 20th of May. I am planning to move May 23rd over Memorial Day weekend. The move is ~5 miles apart and it's a studio apartment. Any real issues? Consensus seems to be that moving in May is fine (especially short distances).

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:21 pm

cdelgado wrote:This is a little concerning for me. My bar prep starts the 20th of May. I am planning to move May 23rd over Memorial Day weekend. The move is ~5 miles apart and it's a studio apartment. Any real issues? Consensus seems to be that moving in May is fine (especially short distances).

When I took the July bar exam, I didn't even decide I was going to take the bar until the last day in May, it took me a couple of more weeks to even sign up for bar prep course, and I didn't really start studying until July. You'll be fine.

User avatar
outsidethescope
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby outsidethescope » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm

I took two weeks off at the end of January/beginning of February to move across the country while I was studying for the February bar. While it added some stress, it wasn't a disaster. I actually liked taking a mental break to do other things. On top of that, my new place was much nicer and a better environment for studying. That made it worth it to me -- I was able to memorize elements while relaxing in the apartment hot tub, for instance.

That said, I only was able to complete about 50% of Barbri because of the move and time off. A few tears were shed near exam time because I didn't feel as prepared as I wanted to feel.

I think these tears will be shed anyway. You just have to prepare for that. So my takeaway is move if the place you're moving to will make you feel more at home/less stressed.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3157
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby zot1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:36 am

outsidethescope wrote:I took two weeks off at the end of January/beginning of February to move across the country while I was studying for the February bar. While it added some stress, it wasn't a disaster. I actually liked taking a mental break to do other things. On top of that, my new place was much nicer and a better environment for studying. That made it worth it to me -- I was able to memorize elements while relaxing in the apartment hot tub, for instance.

That said, I only was able to complete about 50% of Barbri because of the move and time off. A few tears were shed near exam time because I didn't feel as prepared as I wanted to feel.

I think these tears will be shed anyway. You just have to prepare for that. So my takeaway is move if the place you're moving to will make you feel more at home/less stressed.


silly question but, did you pass?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:57 pm

I moved in mid-June during my prep for the CA bar, which meant missing at least a few weekdays of study. I also took off every weekend in June (and 4 days for my graduation). I also had some personal stuff going on in July that meant I didn't ever end up kicking my study into high gear after the 4th like I'd been planning to do. I'd say I spent a total of around 120 - 140 hours total on bar prep (completed around 60% of BARBRI). I don't think this was ideal since it certainly raised my stress level going into the test and waiting for results. But I passed. If I could do that summer over again I don't think I'd do June any differently, but had I not had some family stuff going on in July I would probably have ideally put in another 30 or 40 hours.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3157
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Moving During Bar Prep

Postby zot1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Emma. wrote:I moved in mid-June during my prep for the CA bar, which meant missing at least a few weekdays of study. I also took off every weekend in June (and 4 days for my graduation). I also had some personal stuff going on in July that meant I didn't ever end up kicking my study into high gear after the 4th like I'd been planning to do. I'd say I spent a total of around 120 - 140 hours total on bar prep (completed around 60% of BARBRI). I don't think this was ideal since it certainly raised my stress level going into the test and waiting for results. But I passed. If I could do that summer over again I don't think I'd do June any differently, but had I not had some family stuff going on in July I would probably have ideally put in another 30 or 40 hours.


Thanks, dude. I have decided to move in June. Will see how it turns out.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest