NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

cooperlaserpup

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Postby cooperlaserpup » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:00 pm

encore1101 wrote:Image

This is what the fall letter, with mpre passed, looked like

That is a super good MBE, friendo. Congrats and much jealousy over here.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 pm

Haha thanks. I'm pretty sure it saved me, as my essays were pretty turd.

Best of luck!

blueenigma

Postby blueenigma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Encore 1101: Indeed. That is it. Good luck everyone.

Jimothy

Postby Jimothy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks, all you well-wishers out there. I thought that studying was hard, but waiting has been about just as bad.

uconndoit0727

Postby uconndoit0727 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:12 pm

cooperlaserpup wrote:Joining in the anxiety. I am losing my mind.

So after poking around the internet (check out Separac if you want to make yourself even more insane than you currently are) here are some tidbits I've learned:

3) Results come in an email with a PDF attachment. A passing PDF is about 32kb, failing is longer and about 79kb. I guess that's helpful if you want to know but for some reason don't want tot open the file right that second (maybe if you're at work with someone over your shoulder.)

Are there really employers out there that would reprimand someone for seeing if they passed the damn bar exam or not? Seems like a pretty ridiculous example

hopeforthebest15

Postby hopeforthebest15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:33 pm

uconndoit0727 wrote:

So after poking around the internet (check out Separac if you want to make yourself even more insane than you currently are) here are some tidbits I've learned:

3) Results come in an email with a PDF attachment. A passing PDF is about 32kb, failing is longer and about 79kb. I guess that's helpful if you want to know but for some reason don't want tot open the file right that second (maybe if you're at work with someone over your shoulder.)

Are there really employers out there that would reprimand someone for seeing if they passed the damn bar exam or not? Seems like a pretty ridiculous example

I don't think an employer would care that you are checking. I am pretty sure their point was that many people wouldn't want to open the email with a co-worker around. I know that there are really only a handful of people I would be comfortable around when I open up my bar exam results.

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:56 pm

hopeforthebest15 wrote:
uconndoit0727 wrote:

I don't think an employer would care that you are checking. I am pretty sure their point was that many people wouldn't want to open the email with a co-worker around. I know that there are really only a handful of people I would be comfortable around when I open up my bar exam results.

yeah I really wouldn't want to open it with someone I have a professional relationship with looking on. If you need to tell them you failed, you may need to do it in your own time and tell the right person and feel calm and collected, etc.

jdone

Postby jdone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Joining you all on here waiting for results...

Thanks to thesteelers for starting this thread- somehow waiting and being nervous together is better than doing it alone going crazy hitting refresh on my email every few minutes.

I too was caught off-guard by the results last Oct 28, saw the email a few minutes after it was sent around midnight, cried all night and couldn't sleep until 2 am the next morning (after being awake almost 40 hours).

I don't think I will be taking the bar exam again, again in July. I'm just too exhausted to go through this again soon. Feb was my second time taking NY and NJ and the months spent taking it (before, during, after) was painfully challenging for me- worse than the stress of taking it the first time when the fear was really just not knowing it all to pass, this second time I went through it with a terrible failure mentality (stripped of confidence) and other emotional issues. At this point, I just want to move on with my life, get some type of 9-5 job and enjoy life, summer and the rest of my 20s like everyone else who didn't go to law school has been doing.

Kiz923- I'm sorry about your grandma. Being a retaker is difficult enough and I can't imagine what you went through. You're right, it's just a test, one that I hope we will both pass, but it is just a test. of how well you can take that test.

Cooperlaserpup- ditto to #5,6,7. I'm in NJ but am always up for a drink and think we all need one just for making it this far.

Hoping for the best for all of us. We are all highly educated, intelligent, and valuable professionals. Let's all remember that. :)

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:43 pm

@jdone- you took BOTH NJ and NY both times?!?! that must be so tough. I can't even imagine studying for two at once. I know the MBE overlaps and all that but its still so much extra material to learn!!

Guys I have a feeling its going to be midnight tonight. Which is bad news if I fail because I'm in an arraignment shift all day tomorrow....I can still practice after failing (barred pro hac vice until 2016) but it will be an incredibly awkward day and I'm not sure if I'll get fired...FUN TIMES.

kiz923

Postby kiz923 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Thank you...I appreciate the kind words. The pressure keeps building, as everyone at work keeps checking whether results have come out too because they wanna know if I passed haha. But, today, I was in the office of the senior partner at my firm and he said to me, "I'm hoping for you..." when I interrupted and told him I really didn't know how it was going to turn out bc of my circumstances, he continued to say, "so and so, who practices across the street had to take the exam 4 or 5 times before he passed and he's a very successful attorney." I told him I hope to god that isn't me haha and he said the point is that you just need to be patient. I guess I'm lucky I have an understanding employer. Hopefully I get to keep my position should worse come to worse because we haven't discussed that scenario...

Postby 1234567888 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Awaiting NJ results here. Usually NJ results are released soon after NY... sigh...

manyx2

Postby manyx2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:50 pm

I think we will have the results by the end of the week! I took both MA and NY July 14 and failed both bc of my MBE score.... I took both again this time but only studied New York materials since I live and work in the City.... Hoping I got my MBE score above 140 this time to carry me in MA... since their essays are really different than NY. Fingers crossed! If I pass NY I am down for party drinks! Even if it's midnight! This is such a stressful experience...so ready for it to be over! GOOD LUCK ALL!

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Kiz - you and I have similar circumstances. I took both NY and NJ in July. The horrible irony is that I passed NJ, but my JOB is in NY! I also have an understanding employer, but if it's bad news again, I don't know if I can stand the humiliation here. The stress is awful. And like you, I also had a family tragedy before Feb's exam - the day before the exam, my dad was hit head on by a drunk driver and was in a coma for 3 weeks. He's home now and recovering, but yeah...who knows what that did to my mental state. I am beyond stressed with you guys right now...

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm

cakeordeath wrote:Kiz - you and I have similar circumstances. I took both NY and NJ in July. The horrible irony is that I passed NJ, but my JOB is in NY! I also have an understanding employer, but if it's bad news again, I don't know if I can stand the humiliation here. The stress is awful. And like you, I also had a family tragedy before Feb's exam - the day before the exam, my dad was hit head on by a drunk driver and was in a coma for 3 weeks. He's home now and recovering, but yeah...who knows what that did to my mental state. I am beyond stressed with you guys right now...

you know you can get barred in NY pro hac vice based on the NJ admittance, right?!?! it will mean you can at least do your whole job while you're waiting :)

kiz923

Postby kiz923 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Wow that is fucked up...I am so sorry. And I was thinking of withdrawing from the exam...good for you. You should be very proud of yourself for following through. I'm sure your dad is proud and I'm glad he is better!

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tip! I will check into that with my employer if needed (but hopefully, I won't need it...lol) :)

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks Kiz.... positive thoughts - we'll all be drinking to celebrate at midnight sometime this week! (unlike last night when I drank to numb the fear...and ended up passing out...and then woke up at 3 and immediately checked my email...haha)

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 pm

leaving work a bit early to grab dinner with my mom. I'll see you all around midnight. Its coming, I can feel it.

manyx2

Postby manyx2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:10 pm

I think I feel it too!

jhan11

Postby jhan11 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I need to get drunk....quickly... :shock:

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 pm

jhan11 wrote:I need to get drunk....quickly... :shock:

that particularly smiley really captures my soul right now. :shock:

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Subscribed. I don't think we'll be getting the results tonight but who knows.

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 pm

delicious giant dinner: eaten (got a great rec for dinner place in brooklyn if anyone is interested.)
bottle of wine: purchased.
pajamas: applied.
suitably stupid netflix queued up: yup (courtesy of Bob's burgers)

Ready for midnight!

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

I hope they come out tonight. If not, I highly recommend splurging on a massage as soon as possible.

Partly off-topic, but... This evening I found a good article criticizing bar exams:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2015/04/the-bar-exam-.html
Earlier today I was thinking something close to what this article is suggesting--the exam serves as a barrier to entry in order to increase job security (and pay) for those already in the profession. This barrier largely excludes those who can't or won't take the time and money to pointlessly rote memorize black letter law right after graduating from law school.

Someone used regression analysis to rank the different states' exams by difficulty, so I took that and compared it with some other factors to see if I could find some good current numerical support for this idea. There are statistically significant correlations between the level of difficulty of states' bar exams and measures of how threatened previously-licensed attorneys in that state should feel by people trying to enter the legal job market in their state. In other words, a harder bar exam is associated with a higher population, higher population growth in 1990 (when people of average law school age were born), a higher number of new positions in the past few years, and a higher level of compensation. Pass or not, I'm looking forward to digging further and perhaps writing something that should thoroughly and fairly embarrass the people who are responsible for putting us through this hell.

Br3wnor

Postby Br3wnor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:00 pm

If they announce like last year about the results being in and allowing you to enter your BOLE ID to see pass/fail if your email hasn't sent, which site is it?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”