NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

cakeordeath

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Postby cakeordeath » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:41 am

What I did different: as other posters....I studied for more weeks but shorter hours due to working...and took the full week off before the exam. Also...I signed up for the Marino retaker course along w my free barbri.

steeler...I will send you some outlines that I used today or tomorrow (depending if I can use my laptop in the hospital...its a good distraction for me)

Also.....I read the barbri NY essay book like it was a novel...cover to cover. helped to get a feel for how to answer

Wompwomp1

Postby Wompwomp1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 am

Congrats to everyone who passed!

Unfortunately, I didn't pass.

I am foreign-educated as well (Canadian JD).

I got 137.1 on the MBE and written average 46.19.

I didn't practice the essays as much as I should have (which is reflected in my score). I also felt that I did great on the MPT but got my worst score on that part of the exam, so I think I was too confident and didn't expand enough on it.

Not sure what my NYMC comes down to, but I definitely bombed that (ran out of time so guessed quite a few).

I also handwrote (basically due to my Mac software being too old for the ExamSoft software). I definitely felt that going the handwriting route was a disadvantage for me personally, as I type much faster than I write.

I will register again for July and hope to do much better next time.

Thanks for everyone who is leaving feedback and insight, and good luck in everyone's career!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:55 am

I agree practice is key. I would just issue spot essays and write rule statements.

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:57 am

2nd time taker and Chinese LLM. Email says I passed with an MBE score of 129. Am extremely confused how I managed to do both and waiting for BOLE to send an email informing that the passing email was a hoax.

Being a non-native English speaker I thought I'd focus on the MBE, so did the full practice MPQ sets from Barbri (which I guess really wasn't too many questions in retrospect but it felt like a lot). I also did not write one single essay (as I thought my time would be better used on the MBEs), and took a week off before the exam. Used an essay outline from someone who passed last year, and tried to memorize the paragraphs on my way to work each day (I have a terrible memory and only managed to get 60% of the content in). Honestly though, I thought that wills & trusts wasn't going to be on as an essay since it was there last July, so didn't study for it. To add on top of it I also didn't have time to study the newly added admin law, and ended up making everything up in the wills essay question as well as the NY multiple choice portion.

It comes as an extreme surprise that 1) my MBE scores are still this low, and that 2) I must have killed the essays but it wasn't possible given my performance. All I really got better at was typing faster than last time - practiced with an online type-racing website for half an hour each day. This helped me finish the MPT portion where I did not last time around. So I guess that was a easy score-booster since it literally requires no legal knowledge as long as your answer is coherent and logical, and strictly follow the instructions (I did not do any practice MPTs either...).

To all the foreign-educated JDs and LLMs - 1) I still believe MBE is really the way to go. This is especially true for non-native English speakers. 2) it is still feasible to pass with a full working schedule, just wake up an hour earlier every day to read over outlines. 3) don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Look at me! 129! give your all, hang in there, and best of luck!!!

anshulkalra

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 am

Thank you for your reply.

I really appreciate your reply.

anshulkalra

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 am

britishgirlinNYC wrote:
anshulkalra wrote:Congrats to all who passed!

I am a Uk educated (foreign applicant) first time taker. I failed the bar exam by 8 points. My raw score on MBE was 122.4 and written average was 52.4. I am planning to re-take exam in July 2015. Do you guys think my raw score on MBE was too low? Or do you think the average on essays was low as well? I need to find out where I went wrong so I can tailor study strategy for the july exam.

I thought my essay portion of the exam went very well. During my themis course I used to get around 75 (average) on all graded essay. I am shocked to learn that I scored as low as a 42 in one of the essays.

Also, I took Themis course to study. Is there anyone who took themis for NY bar and passed?

Would highly appreciate some constructive feedback?

Hi, I am also UK educated with an LLB, took the bar exam last July and got 662 (124 MBE, 5.2 average on essays). I took Barbri and they also gave me super high essay scores every time I submitted one, which really gave me a lot of confidence but also genuine disbelief when I got 4.6 on one of the essays in the actual exam. I'm sorry you failed, I know the feeling, especially when you know that passing is attainable.

Here is my feedback:

NY: The best thing to do is practice ALL the past papers until about 2008 (or more if you wish), and read every single answer on the Bole website. They give you the best guidance on what the examiners think is a good/above average score. I did every single essay (prob about 90 total), sometimes under timed conditions and other times to issue spot/lay out skeleton plan. You will see they test a lot of the same stuff over and over.

For MBE: I was told my scaled 124 score was low. I wasn't that good at multiple choice in general so last summer I did every single MC question available to me (Barbri, Emanuel) which was around 3000 questions total, so I was further surprised that I got that low score. Barbri tells you to get an average of 126 raw.
This time round, I did all the same Barbri MC questions they provided, plus Kaplan & Peiper books (about 4500 total) - if you know people doing different providers, swap books and questions, which is what I did and saved a lot of $$. I got 141 in Feb and passed. I worked my little arse off to get that score, it was no easy feat for me.

Practice is KEY, do every single question available to you. I really believe it's the best way to passing NY bar.

Also, for my second round with Barbri (second time if free), I took it online and did everything all over again - I watched every single lecture again, took notes all over again....everything actually! I really found that it helped, especially to remind me again of all the content. Watching the lectures second time round also made a lot more sense to me, things seemed clearer and also it helped with memorizing. I followed their course exactly like I did the first time, but about two weeks ahead of schedule, which gave me additional time nearer the exam to cram and practice past papers.

Please let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to help in anyway I can. Failing last July left me at such a low point, so if I can help anyone else avoid that then I will do my best!

P.S for someone with a foreign education: YOU DID INCREDIBLE!! I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but that score you got is so great for someone who doesn't have a US JD. Seriously, well done mate!

Thanks for your reply.

In retrospect if I had more time to practice MBE Q's I would have practiced a lot more. I believe if I had taken a week off from work before the exam date It would have made a difference. My strategy for july is to focus more on MBE Q's. I am gonna look for Kaplan and Peiper MBE books to practice more.

jen29031991

Postby jen29031991 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 am

I am a Uk educated (foreign applicant) first time taker. I failed the bar exam by 8 points. My raw score on MBE was 122.4 and written average was 52.4. I am planning to re-take exam in July 2015. Do you guys think my raw score on MBE was too low? Or do you think the average on essays was low as well? I need to find out where I went wrong so I can tailor study strategy for the july exam.

I thought my essay portion of the exam went very well. During my themis course I used to get around 75 (average) on all graded essay. I am shocked to learn that I scored as low as a 42 in one of the essays.

Also, I took Themis course to study. Is there anyone who took themis for NY bar and passed?

Hey Im also UK educated, and that was my second attempt at the NY bar and I failed again. I actually done worse second time round, even though I put in more studyy time. It was the MBE, I completely bombed. Im working full time at the moment and now contemplating whether to give it one last shot in July. Im currently still at the moping stage so cant make any decisions yet.

anshulkalra

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

jen29031991 wrote:

Hey Im also UK educated, and that was my second attempt at the NY bar and I failed again. I actually done worse second time round, even though I put in more studyy time. It was the MBE, I completely bombed. Im working full time at the moment and now contemplating whether to give it one last shot in July. Im currently still at the moping stage so cant make any decisions yet.

Sorry to hear that! I am at moping stage too. Not sure if I want to retake in July 2015 yet. I am gonna give it a day or two to let the feeling sink in and make a call. I feel mentally exhausted to even think that I have to re-do all over prep again. It is incredibly hard to study for the bar when working full time.

I am also considering to take exam in Feb next year. I feel that I should start early for next exam, take it slow and practice as much as possible.

jen29031991

Postby jen29031991 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 am

anshulkalra wrote:
jen29031991 wrote:

Sorry to hear that! I am at moping stage too. Not sure if I want to retake in July 2015 yet. I am gonna give it a day or two to let the feeling sink in and make a call. I feel mentally exhausted to even think that I have to re-do all over prep again. It is incredibly hard to study for the bar when working full time.

I am also considering to take exam in Feb next year. I feel that I should start early for next exam, take it slow and practice as much as possible.

At least we arent alone. I took barbris international course and no one I sat it with passed on their second attempt either. So im now considering looking at an alternative method of study. Im interning out in NY until September so feel as though I would be silly not to take July if Im here anyway. We definetly deserve a few days of moping anyway and then get back on our feet.

anshulkalra

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 am

jen29031991 wrote:
anshulkalra wrote:
jen29031991 wrote:

At least we arent alone. I took barbris international course and no one I sat it with passed on their second attempt either. So im now considering looking at an alternative method of study. Im interning out in NY until September so feel as though I would be silly not to take July if Im here anyway. We definetly deserve a few days of moping anyway and then get back on our feet.

I took themis online. I thought it was a decent prep course - given the price point. I am probably gonna use themis again for July exam (if i decide to sit). I am also considering to buy Kaplan or Peiper bar review books on MBE to practice more.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 am

Retaker here. Also passed with a low MBE. I knew, especially with Civ Pro being added, that the MBE would be a bitch. I studied a bit more unconventionally since my essays were so bad last July. So I studied more aggressively for my essays while still trying not to slack on the MBES (though I only did about 1200 MBEs which would explain my low 132 MBE score). For some perspective, my score increased over 50 points (maybe much higher) having done even WORSE on the MBE the second time.

So for anyone else who still has to do this horrible, horrible exam, I think there are two keys: 1) If you're not learning the way you're studying DO SOMETHING ELSE! 2) Similarly, do what works for you even if other methods are more popular. I discuss some things I did below, though this isn't all of it. You may want a moment to not think about this test, but perhaps this info is useful if/when you decide to jump back in there. If you want more info or outlines or whatever, feel free to PM me.

I had to learn to switch up my strategy
I spent my first 5 weeks just transferring the info from past Themis handouts and my new Separac materials (more about this later) to study materials: flashcards, my own outlines, etc. After creating all the study material, I spent the next three weeks (when I started studying full time) just trying to cram it all in. But I realized during that time also that I forgot a shit ton of NY stuff. So I had to rethink my strategy and then go full on killer mode.

My problem was that I was studying in the morning for the MBEs and doing NY at night. This actually fucked me up, and thankfully I realized this simple change before it was too late. I was always so tired at night that I didn't really retain the NY stuff (wills, PR, family law, etc). So I changed my regimen by focusing on NY, and studying it when I was most alert-morning and early evening. Mid afternoon I would try and exercise because I was inevitably tired around that 1-3pm hour. Even though people always say focus on the MBE, I spent 70% of my time the last week before the exam doing NY stuff. And without a doubt SEPERAC SAVED MY LIFE.

Why you should try Seperac (and no, I'm not a shill, I just strongly believe in the company)

Seperac made my life easier by giving me some boundaries to study. The biggest problem with studying for the bar is feeling overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities of rules that can be tested. But Joe (founder of Seperac) makes it MUCH easier to digest. And a more focused mind is a more confident one. And confidence is so important in staying afloat during the bar.

Joe writes out an outline for all the subjects likely to appear on the NY portion of exam. The total outline is over 200 pages. These rules are prioritized by what is more likely to appear based on his own statistical modeling (he studied finance). So I spent more time on the high priority rules.

What really, really saved me was his list of topic introductions and synthesizing them. Joe essentially created a table of contents for the entire bar exam consisting of just 18 pages. So 202 pages is boiled down to 18. Whereas earlier in my studying I was trying to memorize my NY outlines verbatim (which I created based on his outlines), and I couldn't remember jack shit from one week to the next, his one sentence topic introductions forced me to highlight just the key words and phrases that the bar examiners would look for. I beefed this up a bit for the more elaborate rules (e.g. crim law rules like battery and arson that have multiple degrees) by handwriting a rephrased sentence below Joe's and/or handwriting mnemonics in the margins next to the rule. These mnemonics were hella clutch. Best thing I could've done tbh.

What also really, really saved me was studying as many past essays as possible. Seperac compiled all the essay questions and all the answers of the last 20 or so years and organized them by issue and bookmarked them in his main outline! I didn't read all the essay answers or even write a shit ton of essays. I just looked to see how above average scorers answered to see the commonly used phrases. What were the key issues they all addressed? It enabled me to eliminate the fluff the commercial bar prep companies give and focus on the essence. For rules that had to be answered in multiple parts (like the rule for interference of contractual relations) I wrote acronoyms in the margin of Seperac's list of rule statements based on these essential phrases.

I memorized cold the essential phrases the bar examiners want to hear for as many rules as possible. You don't have a lot of time to issue spot on the actual exam, so you need to recall these key phrases like it's second nature. Themis did not give any good advice on how to actually remember all this crap. And yeah, no one can really tell you what best works for you, but some guidance would have been helpful. So this is what worked for me:

-The week before the exam, I used Joe's table of contents of rules (with all my mnemonics handwritten in the margins and my handwritten rephrased sentences below his) and drilled myself by recalling the acronyms and key phrases of any given rule within 30 seconds. This was my holy grail document. So the 202 page outline was further reduced to 5 letter mnemonics or one or two sentences for each rule by the final week. I didn't write them down over and over again (as I had done before, which did not really help me retain info in the long run). I just looked at the topic and said out loud the mnemonic and fundamental rules associated with that topic.

-I treated these drills just like working out at the gym. I used a high interval training app that I use for my gym workouts, and it actually made the material almost sorta fun to study. There were about 10 rule statements/rephrased statements/acronyms on each page. I would recall a rule, check it to make sure I said the key phrases, and move onto the next rule when the 30 second timer went off. After doing about 5-7 rules, I would recall all of them them without stopping in about 2 minutes. I then did this for the next group of 5-7 rules. After finishing a page, I would try and recall all 10 (repetition is key) as my "cool down" exercise within 3 or so minutes. I did this for all 18 pages of rules over a one week period. I would advise doing this over two weeks to not be stressed out (I was literally tearing out my hair by the end of it because it was just so much), but I simply ran out of time and had to make the most of my circumstances.

The good thing about the essay portion which people often repeat and I find true, is that essays are a basic proficiency test. I didn't try and make myself an expert on any given subject. I just memorized the hell out of the fundamental info. I wanted to at least be able to say, "okay, I recognize this issue in the essay question, what is the most important thing I can say about this rule?" Then you want to get to the point when you also define the turns of phrase (e.g. a contract is an agreement between two or more parties with a valid offer, acceptance and consideration) and the exceptions (A contract may be limited by contract defenses or the Statute of Frauds. A writing may be sufficient consideration in NY). Even if those extra rules aren't the main issue the bar examiners are testing you on, this is basic info that you gain easy points from, and you can't assume they know you know what a contract is.

Memorizing verbatim is impossible for most people, especially with this amount of info. And it's unnecessary. There is a lot we can recall just by alerting ourselves to a few words in the rules and this was my saving grace.

Other things I did that bar companies or other people tell you not to do (but AGAIN do what works for you)
- I studied the night before the exam. I think people largely say this because studying the night before is likely unfocused and stressful. But I had a definite set of rules to study thanks to Seperac, and I hadn't solidified my memory on some important ones. So I studied those til 9pm. Lo and behold several of those topics were in the essays the next day. I honestly don't know if I would have passed (particularly given my low MBE) if I did not gain a few points from that last minute study session. This may not work for you, but I knew what worked for me. Also, I had to study the night before because I didn't realize I was studying wrong until a little late in the game and I spent a day or two slacking off. If you're a good planner, you probably wouldn't be stuck trying to cram shit the night before.

-I didn't watch lectures because it was a waste of my time and I realized too late last summer when I failed that I learned jack shit from the video lectures. I only watched Civ Pro because that was the only way to get the basic info I needed for the handouts.

Congrats to those who passed! I was dead set on not taking this exam for a while and doing another career, because this was the worst experience of my life (#firstworldproblems). So I can relate to those who don't want to do this again. But if you decide to, seriously look into Seperac if you think being a lawyer is worth it...and we spent 3 years for this shit so you might as well spend 2 months getting it over with.
Last edited by atlien on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jen29031991

Postby jen29031991 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

I am also considering to take exam in Feb next year. I feel that I should start early for next exam, take it slow and practice as much as possible.[/quote]

At least we arent alone. I took barbris international course and no one I sat it with passed on their second attempt either. So im now considering looking at an alternative method of study. Im interning out in NY until September so feel as though I would be silly not to take July if Im here anyway. We definetly deserve a few days of moping anyway and then get back on our feet.[/quote]

I took themis online. I thought it was a decent prep course - given the price point. I am probably gonna use themis again for July exam (if i decide to sit). I am also considering to buy Kaplan or Peiper bar review books on MBE to practice more.[/quote]

Yeah I think I need to focus on the MBE, I worried far too much about the essays. Give it a few days and hopefully our outlooks will become more positive. Its just that sinking feeling that wont go away at the moment. Best of luck if you decide to go for it in July!

thrillho_van_houten

Postby thrillho_van_houten » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:33 am

northkitty wrote:2nd time taker and Chinese LLM. Email says I passed with an MBE score of 129. Am extremely confused how I managed to do both and waiting for BOLE to send an email informing that the passing email was a hoax.

Being a non-native English speaker I thought I'd focus on the MBE, so did the full practice MPQ sets from Barbri (which I guess really wasn't too many questions in retrospect but it felt like a lot). I also did not write one single essay (as I thought my time would be better used on the MBEs), and took a week off before the exam. Used an essay outline from someone who passed last year, and tried to memorize the paragraphs on my way to work each day (I have a terrible memory and only managed to get 60% of the content in). Honestly though, I thought that wills & trusts wasn't going to be on as an essay since it was there last July, so didn't study for it. To add on top of it I also didn't have time to study the newly added admin law, and ended up making everything up in the wills essay question as well as the NY multiple choice portion.

It comes as an extreme surprise that 1) my MBE scores are still this low, and that 2) I must have killed the essays but it wasn't possible given my performance. All I really got better at was typing faster than last time - practiced with an online type-racing website for half an hour each day. This helped me finish the MPT portion where I did not last time around. So I guess that was a easy score-booster since it literally requires no legal knowledge as long as your answer is coherent and logical, and strictly follow the instructions (I did not do any practice MPTs either...).

To all the foreign-educated JDs and LLMs - 1) I still believe MBE is really the way to go. This is especially true for non-native English speakers. 2) it is still feasible to pass with a full working schedule, just wake up an hour earlier every day to read over outlines. 3) don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Look at me! 129! give your all, hang in there, and best of luck!!!

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I had to register just to counter this comment. This is not to say that your method doesn't work (clearly it did). This is only to underline how risky your method is.

I failed July 2014 and retook in February, and I passed. I had a 136 MBE in July, but did poorly on the essays. I got a 140 MBE in February, so not much of an improvement there (not too mention I hate civ pro, which wasn't on July but was on Feb). In July I focused heavily on the MBE because they are tricky, and they're easy to practice. Plus, I was pretty confident in my ability to write essays - I'd been writing long answers in law school exams for years, and this was just basic stuff, right? That was a mistake.

Clearly, where I made my key improvement was in the essays. I chalk this up to a few things:

1) I did as many practice essays as I could. If I had less time, I'd at least issue spot and jot down a general idea of an answer to a question. But I think most importantly, I read every single model answer I could find. They started to look similar. You get the idea of how they're structured. Not to mention, you see that certain topics are covered more frequently than others, and so you know where you might need to focus to gain more likely points.

2) Of course I still studied the MBE, but dividing your time based on how the exam is scored is key. My test prep course noted that a lot of exam takers approach studying by focusing heavily on the MBE, like 70%, and less on the essays, like 30%. I'd say that was fairly accurate for my approach in July. Really, in New York your focus should be more on the essays since they make up more of your score.

3) Focusing on the MBE law, and then the NY law. I know this seems to go against what I've been saying about focusing less on MBE but this is more for your reading than your practicing. The MBE law is that way for a reason - it's the law of most states, and NY is no different. Think of MBE readings as the foundation for your studying. Then do the NY law readings and it'll be easier to note where it differs and where it's the same. This might seem like an obvious point, but I only say it because my bar prep course suggested I read NY first. I felt things flowed together much better approaching MBE law first.

4) Maybe most importantly, if you failed and you're trying to figure out how to right the ship, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. You're gonna be sad/pissed/embarrassed for failing. You're gonna see other people who passed who you think are morons and wonder how you failed compared to them. Once those feelings start to subside, look at your score breakdown and figure out where your scores should be and where you scored. Yes, the test is a poor way for deciding who should be licensed to practice law in NY, but this is the reality for now. The test beat you. You were not better than the test, and you have to realize that. You might think they're out to get you and you did everything right. You're wrong. Figure out the difference between studying smart, and studying hard, and then study smart - a lot.

5) On the point of studying smart - this is going to be different for everyone depending on your weaknesses, how you retain information, what you did well on versus what you need to work on. It's up to you to determine what smart is. If you take the time to strategize your studying, to set your mind in a certain way, and not just cram all the information into your brain as many times as possible for as long as possible, I really think you'll find success. Turn being a retaker into an advantage for next time since you can adjust your focus. It's too easy to see it as a negative.

Hopefully this is helpful to some fellow retakers the next trip around. It was a heavy weight to carry around the last half a year and I hope you all get out from under it soon.

seahawks2014

Postby seahawks2014 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:53 am

I passed with a 145 MBE in FEb 2015 failed in July 2014 with a 119. The main thing I did was to focus on the essays this time around. In addition, I didn't study the random ass subjects much at all. I knew the ones that are regularly tested cold. The essays are something you have a decent amount of control over and there is some bias to it. I also took Barbri instead of Themis. Themis was a great price, and I know tons of people that passed using it. However, they were the people that were very comfortable with standardized tests. If you ever ever ever had to grind out a standardized test, stick to barbri. Also, I sped up the lectures to 1.80 using this app on my iphone and listened to the lectures all the fucking time. The bar is a beast of a test, and many of the geniuses like to pretend that they passed with ease (dont be fooled). If it helps, I studied for the Feb bar while doing 60 hour weeks at work. I took off two weeks before the bar though.

marthen

Postby marthen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Got my result from NY yesterday and did not make it. This was my 3rd time around and I thought I did all I could. Not sure what to do or where to go from here. It is hard to think of prepping and taking the exam again. my mbe score is 123.2. This came in as a surprise because I was scoring on average 72 percent on mbes a week before the exam. At this point I just need a bar, any bar. But as a foreign trained lawyer, there are really not that mane options. I am really not sure what else to do. Anyone with a magic wand? I heard there was an option of transferring a failed mbe score in other states and just sit for that state portion of the exam. Any clue out there or what to do? Please HELP!

g04

Postby g04 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Failed my second attempt by 10 points.

Did great on the essays, except for the third one and the MPT, which fucked me up.

Decent MBE.

Not attempting a third time, moving to PA and taking PA.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:41 pm

marthen wrote:Got my result from NY yesterday and did not make it. This was my 3rd time around and I thought I did all I could. Not sure what to do or where to go from here. It is hard to think of prepping and taking the exam again. my mbe score is 123.2. This came in as a surprise because I was scoring on average 72 percent on mbes a week before the exam. At this point I just need a bar, any bar. But as a foreign trained lawyer, there are really not that mane options. I am really not sure what else to do. Anyone with a magic wand? I heard there was an option of transferring a failed mbe score in other states and just sit for that state portion of the exam. Any clue out there or what to do? Please HELP!

Transferring a failed MBE? I've heard just the opposite- that is, if you pass the exam but have a low MBE, you can't transfer the MBE.

Do you think you want to do this again? All I've got are study tips that significantly helped me. But no magic wand my friend. Let me know if you have the energy and could use some study advice.

atlien

Postby atlien » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

seahawks2014 wrote:I passed with a 145 MBE in FEb 2015 failed in July 2014 with a 119. The main thing I did was to focus on the essays this time around. In addition, I didn't study the random ass subjects much at all. I knew the ones that are regularly tested cold. The essays are something you have a decent amount of control over and there is some bias to it. I also took Barbri instead of Themis. Themis was a great price, and I know tons of people that passed using it. However, they were the people that were very comfortable with standardized tests. If you ever ever ever had to grind out a standardized test, stick to barbri. Also, I sped up the lectures to 1.80 using this app on my iphone and listened to the lectures all the fucking time. The bar is a beast of a test, and many of the geniuses like to pretend that they passed with ease (dont be fooled). If it helps, I studied for the Feb bar while doing 60 hour weeks at work. I took off two weeks before the bar though.

Totally agree with the importance of essays. People stress the MBE so much that I really neglected my essays for the July exam. There is a method and a certain script you need to have for the essays, but people act like everyone can just get the essays by osmosis. NOT. TRUE. AT. ALL.

My significant essay improvement was the sole reason I passed this time around.

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 am

Did the recent bad-news letters give percentile scores for the mbe? If so, I'd be very happy to know what some of those data points are, here or privately.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”