NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

NYNYNY

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Postby NYNYNY » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
coloradosky wrote:Mine does not.

Did you pass? Are you certified for admission? If so, that's odd. Mine says, "Congrats you are certified... blabla bla..." Towards the bottom it says, "Your MBE scaled score was ___."

I did not get my MBE score either.

I'm a Pro Bonner and was not certified because I need to graduate first.

coloradosky

Postby coloradosky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 pm

I am certified. And I passed. I am also a pro bono scholar.

NYNYNY

Postby NYNYNY » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 pm

coloradosky wrote:I am certified. And I passed. I am also a pro bono scholar.

Strange.

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:38 pm

When do they post the pass rate for feb?

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:39 pm

coloradosky wrote:I am certified. And I passed. I am also a pro bono scholar.

You should try calling them tomorrow and ask why your MBE score wasn't listed. :( I don't know. At least you passed though!!

coloradosky

Postby coloradosky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Maybe I am not certified. But why should that matter about my MBE score?

britishgirlinNYC

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:41 pm

I still need to pass the MPRE....so my email said though I've passed they are unable to certify me until I sent them my MPRE score. They provided my MBE score at the end (141).

norwoodi

Postby norwoodi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:51 pm

I also only got my MBE score (and I passed, yay!). Will we be able to see our full score later?

jhilly123

Postby jhilly123 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

You don't get your mbe if you sat for the mbe in a different state (ex. NJ or MA). And you don't get your total score either. And who cares you passed! Congrats! Go celebrate. Some states like MA don't even tell you at all.

Bob2

Postby Bob2 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I have passed the New York bar!!!!My MBE was 148.1. I got 124 on the Barbri simulated score. I am very happy and I thank God for passing. For those who passed, congrats! For those who did not make it, I feel you. This is not the end. Take courage. I am a foreign student and a first-timer. I want to give my tips since I studied on a full time basis only for one month. BUT I did not start studying in January. I started in October/November. This is what I would say:

a. Start early especially if you are working like me. Employers want you to pass without getting leave.
b. Practice! Practice! Practice! I did around 1,800 MBE questions and did so many Barbri essays(there are around Babrbri 109 essays and I think I went through around 70 of them. I was not writing each essay but would go through these essays to get what the essay is all about.
c. DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU YOU CANNOT MAKE IT. You can make it! Believe in yourself and you will succeed.

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!!!! just got home and found out my dad had a heart attack and might not make it. then, I see you guys are getting results..nearly joined him....couldn't open it...... I PASSED!!!! DAD - THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:24 pm

cakeordeath wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!!!! just got home and found out my dad had a heart attack and might not make it. then, I see you guys are getting results..nearly joined him....couldn't open it...... I PASSED!!!! DAD - THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Random lurker.. Sending some TLS love your fathers way. Hope hes ok... Congrats on passing the bar though!!!

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 pm

cakeordeath wrote:HOLY SHIT!!!!!! just got home and found out my dad had a heart attack and might not make it. then, I see you guys are getting results..nearly joined him....couldn't open it...... I PASSED!!!! DAD - THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my gosh! I am so so sorry. Stranger over here sending your dad well wishes. Hang in there.

uconndoit0727

Postby uconndoit0727 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:44 pm

My apologies to everyone for my post today. My pro bono scholar supervisor was strangely notified by the Bar this morning that Thursday was the day. So weird. But yeah - I passed! No MBE score listed either.... so curious but F it

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Passed killed it.

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for all for the well-wishes for my dad. It's been a heck of a couple months for the two of us. I'm sorry for those who did not pass this time around... I just can't imagine and I'm not going to insult you by trying. However, I am so grateful to have found this thread for support these last many days. You are all great people - cheers to everyone!

manyx2

Postby manyx2 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 pm

I didn't make the cut this time :(.

My MPT and NYMC scores went down. My essays are about the same.

Congrats to all that passed!

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Congrats to everyone who passed! I'm glad this chapter is over for you!

I'm going to pay to re-take the exam in July now. For those of you who passed, would you be willing to share your outlines, especially for the state subjects? My email is thesteelers89@gmail.com if you could send it there. Anyone else who is re-taking in this thread and wants in on some outlines, PM me!

Thanks guys, and have a good time tonight.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm

thesteelers wrote:Congrats to everyone who passed! I'm glad this chapter is over for you!

I'm going to pay to re-take the exam in July now. For those of you who passed, would you be willing to share your outlines, especially for the state subjects? My email is thesteelers89@gmail.com if you could send it there. Anyone else who is re-taking in this thread and wants in on some outlines, PM me!

Thanks guys, and have a good time tonight.

I used the smartprep outlines to supplement the state stuff: http://www.smartbarprep.com/

nyragslaw

Postby nyragslaw » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Passed with a 134 MBE. Must have done really well on the essay portion. To those of you who didn't pass, keep at it! So important to stay calm and have confidence in yourself when you take this exam! You can do it!

jsmmm9528

Postby jsmmm9528 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm

My written average score this time is 1.5 point higher but the common scaled score is 21 points lower (just essay portion) than last time, resulting in 11 points less in the weighted score. Did anyone else encounter the same problem?

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:52 pm

For those planning to take another exam, whether NY again or another--I very highly recommend a study technique called spaced repetition. It's flashcard-based but a ton more efficient. There are a few apps out there to set up a spaced repetition study system; I tried and liked one called Anki.

fslexcduck

Postby fslexcduck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:33 am

Passed. Woot. 166.5 scaled MBE, i.e. overkill. Kinda wish I hadn't studied for 4 months.

The good news is study time probably does correlate to score, so for anyone who didn't pass this time around (sorry, that blows), sucking it up and putting in shit tons of hours really does work.

Edit: ok the actual story is I did study for 4 months, but I took lots of weeks off here and there and in the first couple of months it was only 4-5 hours per day when I did study. It was only really full time for real for the final 5 weeks. As another poster said, I think committing longer to it for shorter amounts of time and then going full steam for the last month or so is a really good strategy. I had several "a-ha" moments along the way because I took a lot of steps back throughout the process and let stuff sink in naturally. Just my 2 cents.

anshulkalra

Postby anshulkalra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:00 am

Congrats to all who passed!

I am a Uk educated (foreign applicant) first time taker. I failed the bar exam by 8 points. My raw score on MBE was 122.4 and written average was 52.4. I am planning to re-take exam in July 2015. Do you guys think my raw score on MBE was too low? Or do you think the average on essays was low as well? I need to find out where I went wrong so I can tailor study strategy for the july exam.

I thought my essay portion of the exam went very well. During my themis course I used to get around 75 (average) on all graded essay. I am shocked to learn that I scored as low as a 42 in one of the essays.

Also, I took Themis course to study. Is there anyone who took themis for NY bar and passed?

Would highly appreciate some constructive feedback?

britishgirlinNYC

Postby britishgirlinNYC » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 am

anshulkalra wrote:Congrats to all who passed!

I am a Uk educated (foreign applicant) first time taker. I failed the bar exam by 8 points. My raw score on MBE was 122.4 and written average was 52.4. I am planning to re-take exam in July 2015. Do you guys think my raw score on MBE was too low? Or do you think the average on essays was low as well? I need to find out where I went wrong so I can tailor study strategy for the july exam.

I thought my essay portion of the exam went very well. During my themis course I used to get around 75 (average) on all graded essay. I am shocked to learn that I scored as low as a 42 in one of the essays.

Also, I took Themis course to study. Is there anyone who took themis for NY bar and passed?

Would highly appreciate some constructive feedback?

Hi, I am also UK educated with an LLB, took the bar exam last July and got 662 (124 MBE, 5.2 average on essays). I took Barbri and they also gave me super high essay scores every time I submitted one, which really gave me a lot of confidence but also genuine disbelief when I got 4.6 on one of the essays in the actual exam. I'm sorry you failed, I know the feeling, especially when you know that passing is attainable.

Here is my feedback:

NY: The best thing to do is practice ALL the past papers until about 2008 (or more if you wish), and read every single answer on the Bole website. They give you the best guidance on what the examiners think is a good/above average score. I did every single essay (prob about 90 total), sometimes under timed conditions and other times to issue spot/lay out skeleton plan. You will see they test a lot of the same stuff over and over.

For MBE: I was told my scaled 124 score was low. I wasn't that good at multiple choice in general so last summer I did every single MC question available to me (Barbri, Emanuel) which was around 3000 questions total, so I was further surprised that I got that low score. Barbri tells you to get an average of 126 raw.
This time round, I did all the same Barbri MC questions they provided, plus Kaplan & Peiper books (about 4500 total) - if you know people doing different providers, swap books and questions, which is what I did and saved a lot of $$. I got 141 in Feb and passed. I worked my little arse off to get that score, it was no easy feat for me.

Practice is KEY, do every single question available to you. I really believe it's the best way to passing NY bar.

Also, for my second round with Barbri (second time if free), I took it online and did everything all over again - I watched every single lecture again, took notes all over again....everything actually! I really found that it helped, especially to remind me again of all the content. Watching the lectures second time round also made a lot more sense to me, things seemed clearer and also it helped with memorizing. I followed their course exactly like I did the first time, but about two weeks ahead of schedule, which gave me additional time nearer the exam to cram and practice past papers.

Please let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to help in anyway I can. Failing last July left me at such a low point, so if I can help anyone else avoid that then I will do my best!

P.S for someone with a foreign education: YOU DID INCREDIBLE!! I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but that score you got is so great for someone who doesn't have a US JD. Seriously, well done mate!
Last edited by britishgirlinNYC on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”