NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
encore1101

Silver

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Post by encore1101 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Bob2 wrote:Too much anxiety waiting for these results. I decided to call BOLE to get a feel of when the results will be out and the lady on the phone told me they won't be out this week. She said, "Probably next week or the week after." There you go! Relax and have a fun weekend knowing that the wait continues.

This is the best advice to give.

hopeforthebest15

New

Post by hopeforthebest15 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:39 pm

nyny wrote:Long time lurker decided to long on in. But if the lady is correct and we should expect results next week, is that due to the amount of people who took the exam, because of the amount of people who failed and must of retook this feb? Or could it be the that a bunch of people's exams had to be regraded because they are within the 10 point pass range? Man I don't know, but as a retaker this wait has been excruciating!!!

Well I think there were more retakers than usual but there is also an option now for graduating 3Ls to take the bar exam the February before graduating if they do the Pro Bono Scholars Program. I actually saw a few students from my school that are graduating this upcoming May sitting for the bar.

http://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/probo ... ndex.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/nyreg ... egion&_r=0

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:45 pm

hopeforthebest15 wrote:
nyny wrote:Long time lurker decided to long on in. But if the lady is correct and we should expect results next week, is that due to the amount of people who took the exam, because of the amount of people who failed and must of retook this feb? Or could it be the that a bunch of people's exams had to be regraded because they are within the 10 point pass range? Man I don't know, but as a retaker this wait has been excruciating!!!

Well I think there were more retakers than usual but there is also an option now for graduating 3Ls to take the bar exam the February before graduating if they do the Pro Bono Scholars Program. I actually saw a few students from my school that are graduating this upcoming May sitting for the bar.

http://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/probo ... ndex.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/nyreg ... egion&_r=0
Me too, I also saw a number of 3Ls from my school as well

I think the sooner the release the better. I'm just ready to get on with my life. I was scoring about 70% on Adaptibar and my Barbri MBE questions, and besides the decent difficulty of both the AM and PM MBE portions I finished each with about 35 minutes to spare.

The NY Essays is keeping me up late, lol!

Chessiesmile

New

Post by Chessiesmile » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:48 pm

I studied for literally 2 weeks the last time around and had passable essays... The MBE is all you really need to worry about

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:00 pm

Chessiesmile wrote:I studied for literally 2 weeks the last time around and had passable essays... The MBE is all you really need to worry about
We will see when the results drop, though I take solace in knowing that I did not bomb any essays nor the MPT. I did miss an issue in two essays, the reset were solid in my eyes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jhan11

New

Post by jhan11 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:08 pm

nyny wrote:
Chessiesmile wrote:I studied for literally 2 weeks the last time around and had passable essays... The MBE is all you really need to worry about
We will see when the results drop, though I take solace in knowing that I did not bomb any essays nor the MPT. I did miss an issue in two essays, the reset were solid in my eyes.
Same solace-finding here with the essays and MPT. Anxious to the point of exhaustion....can't wait for this to be over already.

Chessiesmile

New

Post by Chessiesmile » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Seriously guys, as long as you weren't completely and utterly off-track, you probably scored like a 4 or 5 on any given essay. (And even so, as long as you spit out enough buzzwords, the same applies.) Do not beat yourself up about missing a couple issues. I'm not exaggerating about what I said above.

So long as you hit 140+ on the MBE, you're in a very good spot to pass. 150+ and it's almost a lock.

Chessiesmile

New

Post by Chessiesmile » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Just called to ask if results were planned to be released this week, and the woman I spoke with said that she hadn't heard anything to that effect, and that they're "usually released in early May." Interpret that however you may, but I still think they could come out much sooner, as early as tonight even.

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jimothy

New

Post by Jimothy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Chessiesmile wrote:Seriously guys, as long as you weren't completely and utterly off-track, you probably scored like a 4 or 5 on any given essay. (And even so, as long as you spit out enough buzzwords, the same applies.) Do not beat yourself up about missing a couple issues. I'm not exaggerating about what I said above.

So long as you hit 140+ on the MBE, you're in a very good spot to pass. 150+ and it's almost a lock.
I keep hearing stuff like this, but I'm still crazy nervous. There's a lot that bothers me:

1. First-time February takers in New York pass at a significantly lower rate than July first-timers. Does anyone know why that is? It seems really bizarre to me.

2. The lack of examples/transparency of how essays are graded. I have no idea what exactly constitutes a 4 as compared to a 5 as compared to a 6, etc. I think that I got the rules exactly right on only 2/5 essays. On some sub questions, I guesstimated a rule which sounded right and actually turned out to be somewhat correct, but I think it will be obvious that I didn't know the rule as well as the others. On another, I later realized I wrote the wrong rule entirely. On yet another sub issue, I think I wrote some weird hybrid version of the correct law and something else entirely.

While studying with Kaplan, my essays scores ranged fairly wildly (the first was a 3, the rest were between 4s and 8s...) In that regard, I have no idea what to expect from the actual BOLE graders. In general, I thought the selection of essay topics was odd.

3. The lack of an instant grading from the MBE. While doing the Kaplan 200 question midterm and final, I genuinely had no idea what to expect right before hitting "submit." There were certainly several handfuls of questions where I had to narrow it down to 2, and then guess. I ended up with a 127 on the Kaplan final. They implied that it was a decent score, but I really didn't feel confident that part of it wasn't sheer luck. I wonder how much luck I had on the real deal!

kiz923

New

Post by kiz923 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Jimothy wrote:
Chessiesmile wrote:Seriously guys, as long as you weren't completely and utterly off-track, you probably scored like a 4 or 5 on any given essay. (And even so, as long as you spit out enough buzzwords, the same applies.) Do not beat yourself up about missing a couple issues. I'm not exaggerating about what I said above.

I keep hearing stuff like this, but I'm still crazy nervous. There's a lot that bothers me:

1. First-time February takers in New York pass at a significantly lower rate than July first-timers. Does anyone know why that is? It seems really bizarre to me.

2. The lack of examples/transparency of how essays are graded. I have no idea what exactly constitutes a 4 as compared to a 5 as compared to a 6, etc. I think that I got the rules exactly right on only 2/5 essays. On some sub questions, I guesstimated a rule which sounded right and actually turned out to be somewhat correct, but I think it will be obvious that I didn't know the rule as well as the others. On another, I later realized I wrote the wrong rule entirely. On yet another sub issue, I think I wrote some weird hybrid version of the correct law and something else entirely.

While studying with Kaplan, my essays scores ranged fairly wildly (the first was a 3, the rest were between 4s and 8s...) In that regard, I have no idea what to expect from the actual BOLE graders. In general, I thought the selection of essay topics was odd.

3. The lack of an instant grading from the MBE. While doing the Kaplan 200 question midterm and final, I genuinely had no idea what to expect right before hitting "submit." There were certainly several handfuls of questions where I had to narrow it down to 2, and then guess. I ended up with a 127 on the Kaplan final. They implied that it was a decent score, but I really didn't feel confident that part of it wasn't sheer luck. I wonder how much luck I had on the real deal!
I 100% agree with you, jimothy. As a retaker, I was stunned with the point breakdown of the essay portion. There were essays that I thought I nailed in July that I got 3.5's on and then there was one essay that I distinctly remember not finishing half of that I scored a 6.5 on. So, I really don't think you can simply tell anyone "oh, you'll receive at least a 4 or 5 if you type some legal jargon on the page." It doesn't work that way. But, how it works, I have no clue…With that being said, I know that I haven't slept the past few nights wondering if I passed or not, so maybe it's better just to stay positive haha

underthirty

Bronze

Post by underthirty » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cakeordeath

New

Post by cakeordeath » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

I agree with Kiz and Jimothy. Most of us here are re-takers. Obviously, we fucked up badly enough on the July essays to not score the 4s or 5s and/or hit the 140+ on the MBE. And I also felt that I had done just that in July and was surprised. The bottom line is that you just don't know.

I also don't believe anything someone at BOLE says about when results will be released. They are sadistic.

And yes...I am ramped up from the stress!! :twisted:

Another night of wine and hanging out til midnight. @PMW - I think whatever someone does if the results are not what we hope depends on one's resources. I can choose to stay and try again - and I work with a very small bar - so all these attorneys that I work with will know. Or, I can go live rent-free in LA, run away from it all, and find a job there in my former career. My friends and family will hate me, but will I be better able to live with myself? (oh dear....I need to drink more wine cuz I'm still in the philosophical phase! :lol: )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

astroNOT

New

Post by astroNOT » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

I really cannot express how worried I am about this. I am a second time taker, got a 148 MBE last go around, and a 654 total. I was so close! This time, I'm pretty sure I performed much, much worse. Of course, it didn't help that I couldn't sleep the night before (seriously, not a wink) and couldn't read the questions on the essay day, and that my MBE in practice was a bit lower than what I was scoring last July. So in other words, I'm freaking out. I have no idea what I'm going to do if/when I fail again.

JoanSloan

New

Post by JoanSloan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Another night of wine and hanging out til midnight.
Here's to good company, brother.
chin chin !

britishgirlinNYC

New

Post by britishgirlinNYC » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:28 pm

I took the exam in July 2014 and got 662...failing by so little really made me so mad.

I got 124 on MBE and average of 5.2 on essays last year. I thought I had done significantly better than that, actually I thought July 2014 was a very reasonable exam so I was genuinely surprised I didn't pass. I felt quite good after that exam.

...Until I got the surprise Oct email and I wanted to throw my laptop out the window. Stayed up all night and moped about for two more weeks after that...pulled myself together and took the Feb 2015 exam. My last attempt...and I feel like Feb was so hard :( I messed up some of the essays and I'm so worried. Doesn't help that I don't have any US legal education, UK educated.

Good luck to you all! Hopefully tonight is the night.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Does anyone feel like its is beyond the range of comprehension that they passed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cakeordeath

New

Post by cakeordeath » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

@jarofsoup.....sometimes

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:37 pm

I have a feeling the results will drop tomorrow (basically at midnight {in an hour and a half} lol)!!! Truth be told who the hell knows how they grade the thing, if you were scoring decent on your practices, I guess you just have to trust the process and if you believe in the man above, leave it in his hands.

PWM1824

New

Post by PWM1824 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:06 am

Is that it for the night?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

freon

New

Post by freon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 am

I believe that NY has decided that they will make us wait.

15NY15

New

Post by 15NY15 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 am

I guess so. I bet they are all having a good laugh at our expense...

sledge

New

Post by sledge » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 am

I guess no news is better than bad news!!

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:17 am

I can't take this for another week or two :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”