NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

thesteelers

NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Postby thesteelers » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:29 am

I think it's useful to have a thread for those of us waiting on New York, especially since every other state in the country seems to be dishing out results. Has anyone gotten New York results by the way? I'm afraid to log in and check, but I figured I would have to wait anyway to get an email first.

We're all going to make it. Fingers crossed.

Jimothy

Re: NY Bar Feb 2015 Waiting Thread

Postby Jimothy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:17 pm

No results yet. This is my first go, but from what I understand, no login is necessary. The results just show up as an attachment in an email that is sent out.

I'm slowly going crazy for the wait myself- those essays seemed odd compared to the essays I turned in during bar prep, but maybe that's just my nerves talking. I've actually been spending the last few days doing my best to calm down. I can't believe how tense this is making me...

jhan11

Postby jhan11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Having the weirdest nightmares these few couple of days....thought I was in charge of the anxiety but ...guess not.. :cry:

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I've become increasingly anxious too. My toes keep twitching on their own.

If you all don't mind sharing, what's your Plan B? I assume most will simply plan to re-take in July?

I actually don't think I will, should I get bad news. I don't think I can force myself to do all that studying again anytime soon. I have enormous contempt for the current form of the exam (which was shown to have no construct validity 20 years ago but they only started thinking "hey maybe we should change it!" last year). The UBE will likely be adopted sometime after July, and I'm not terribly attached to NY anyway.

... Or even the idea of getting barred... someone on my shoulder is telling me to get another graduate degree so I can do a certain type of consulting or expert witness work. I'm just not sure if it's an angel or a devil.

PWM1824

Postby PWM1824 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 pm

This was my second time taking it, and it was absolutely my last. I am so anxious, and every email I get gives me a small heart attack. I was caught off-guard by the early results in October last year, and I'm terrified that will happen again. :shock:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

When do resultd come

PWM1824

Postby PWM1824 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 pm

I believe that last year they came out April 28th...

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:41 pm

From 2009 to 2014, for the February administration, results were released 58-70 days after the NY state day. For us, that translates to sometime between Thursday April 24th and Tuesday May 5th, inclusive. There's a modest downward trend in the time for release, though. I'm expecting Thursday or Friday of this week, or Monday or Tuesday of next week.

(Yeah, I can't believe I wasted time calculating that on excel either.)

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 am

Only three more days...I think I'm going to just vomit.

Jimothy

Postby Jimothy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 am

thesteelers wrote:Only three more days...I think I'm going to just vomit.

Not to make you even more nervous, but recent trends suggest that it could be as early as tonight. I was up all night last night having weird nightmares about it...

Jadfa91

Postby Jadfa91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello guys,

I am one of the "foreign educated lot". Can assure you that the wait is as excrutiating for us as it is for you guys on the other side of the pond. Hopefully I will be among the 30% of foreign successes, I can live in hope.

Let's hope for a quick end to this misery!

Best of luck for the days ahead.

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Jimothy wrote:

Not to make you even more nervous, but recent trends suggest that it could be as early as tonight. I was up all night last night having weird nightmares about it...

Do we get a heads up email before results are released, i.e. "results will be released on this date," or is it just the results email?

cakeordeath

Postby cakeordeath » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Add me to the list of those who are going to vomit, have a heart attack, and die face down in said vomit when the email comes. This is the worst. I also was caught off guard in October.

jhan11

Postby jhan11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Jimothy wrote:

god jesus christ

Br3wnor

Postby Br3wnor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Jimothy wrote:

Ugh. I thought I had the nerves under control, but knowing it's so close is really starting to set in. This is my first try (pro bono scholar program) and praying I don't have to do all the prep again. Left the test feeling like I didn't bomb it but couldn't feel comfortable at all that I definitely passed.

hopeforthebest15

Postby hopeforthebest15 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:09 pm

ashle484 wrote:
Jimothy wrote:

Do we get a heads up email before results are released, i.e. "results will be released on this date," or is it just the results email?

In the past the website had put up a day before that results would be released the following day "starting at midnight" but this past October there was no warning.

kiz923

Postby kiz923 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm a NY re-taker…I had no idea when to expect the July results to come out. I don't know whether it's better to wait in anticipation like I am now, or be completely ignorant as to the release date. The way I found out in October was through text at around 1am from a friend, telling me to open my email…as if everyone passes the first time around. I stayed up all night crying. The same afternoon, incidentally, my Grandma had a stroke. She ended up passing away a few weeks before the February exam. I studied when I could up until the exam, but I know I have to be realistic about what my chances are of passing this time around. It would be a nice story if I do pass, but I don't wanna be too hard on myself if it doesn't happen for me. Failing sucks, but the events of 10/28/2014 made me realize that when all is said and done, the bar is just a test...

jhan11

Postby jhan11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:10 pm

kiz923 wrote:I'm a NY re-taker…I had no idea when to expect the July results to come out. I don't know whether it's better to wait in anticipation like I am now, or be completely ignorant as to the release date. The way I found out in October was through text at around 1am from a friend, telling me to open my email…as if everyone passes the first time around. I stayed up all night crying. The same afternoon, incidentally, my Grandma had a stroke. She ended up passing away a few weeks before the February exam. I studied when I could up until the exam, but I know I have to be realistic about what my chances are of passing this time around. It would be a nice story if I do pass, but I don't wanna be too hard on myself if it doesn't happen for me. Failing sucks, but the events of 10/28/2014 made me realize that when all is said and done, the bar is just a test...

Thanks for sharing. I wish you the best of luck.

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:26 pm

If you think you'll be too stressed to read straight or want to learn whether you passed a second faster than you would otherwise, the links below show what the letters looked like last year. Less boldface = good.

http://www.seperac.com/pdf/Feb%202014-Passed%20Notice.pdf
http://www.seperac.com/pdf/Feb%202014-Failed%20Notice.pdf

Last night I had a semi-lucid dream that I passed. I was inclined to distrust the news, thinking "this might be a dream" and "maybe I should check online to be sure," but I was also hesitant to question it, reasoning that I'm too inclined to pessimism. Sigh.

blueenigma

Postby blueenigma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Stendhal: You might also consider posting the passing letter for those who did already take and pass the MPRE. It is similar to the version where the Candidate passed, but has yet to take the MPRE, but has a distinct difference in that that letter has centered, and in bold, the following:

NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION Date

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm

I remember while waiting for the Fall results, everyone was convinced the results were going to be released on the last Friday or Thursday of October. Instead, it came out Tuesday, early morning. I'm glad it came out unexpectedly, because I would have been a mess waiting for it.

Good luck everyone.

stendhal

Postby stendhal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:16 pm

blueenigma, sorry but I have no clue where I'd get the post-MPRE version of the pass letter. I just linked what I could find from a website that isn't mine.

cooperlaserpup

Postby cooperlaserpup » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Joining in the anxiety. I am losing my mind.

So after poking around the internet (check out Separac if you want to make yourself even more insane than you currently are) here are some tidbits I've learned:

1) Results for February came out on April 24th last year. This year that would mean a release date of April 23rd.
2) This past July, the BOLE changed the way they released results. Previously, they had posted a notice on the website aaround 4pm the day BEFORE emailing results. This past July, they posted a notice at 12am the day OF releasing results, with emails coming any time from immediately until 7am that morning.
2.5) ETA....this midnight posting also included a link where you could log in with BOLE ID and DOB to check results if you hadn't gotten the email yet.
3) Results come in an email with a PDF attachment. A passing PDF is about 32kb, failing is longer and about 79kb. I guess that's helpful if you want to know but for some reason don't want tot open the file right that second (maybe if you're at work with someone over your shoulder.)
4) Other states results suggest the national average MBE was 136, which is a few points low. This suggests pass rates will be down overall.
5) I'm losing my mind.
6) I can't fall asleep before midnight each night IN CASE they post a notification about the results.
7) This is torture.
8) If anyone lives in Brooklyn and needs a drink, I'm your girl, stranger-danger BE DAMNED.

edit....tried to write number 8 in that list, came out cool smiley, leaving it.

15NY15

Postby 15NY15 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Also having major anxiety! Too afraid to sleep in case they are released at midnight but I'm in Europe so that means staying up until 5am :/

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:53 pm

This is what the fall letter, with mpre passed, looked like

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”