Themis for $995 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bsktbll28082

Silver

Themis for $995

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 am

Wondering if this is a good deal? I only have a few days to decide.

I've read some of the other posts comparing Themis, Barbri, and Kaplan. I'm prepared to go with Themis for the right price.

$1700 (original)-$500 (public interest)- $200 (match for barbri)= ~$1000

Thanks!

sopranorleone

Bronze

Re: Themis for $995

Post by sopranorleone » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Damn, I paid 1500 for Themis and thought it was an okay deal

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Wondering if this is a good deal? I only have a few days to decide.

I've read some of the other posts comparing Themis, Barbri, and Kaplan. I'm prepared to go with Themis for the right price.

$1700 (original)-$500 (public interest)- $200 (match for barbri)= ~$1000

Thanks!
Seems like a good deal. I'd check with others at your school to see how they liked using Themis. I know at my school it has been pretty popular and has had about the same passage rate that the other major bar prep companies have had.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:14 pm

i paid 1,100. Its a decent program although the lectures are a time sink.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:59 pm

You're not going to get a better deal elsewhere. Themis is already significantly cheaper than the others (Barbri, Kaplan).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:26 pm

He seemed quick to make the deal so I wanted to make sure he wasn't tricking me into something.

I also confirmed with him I only need to apply for a public interest job, not be offered/accept one. I thought this was strange (wouldn't everyone do that?).

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:55 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:I also confirmed with him I only need to apply for a public interest job, not be offered/accept one. I thought this was strange (wouldn't everyone do that?).
Hmmm, you may need to check the PI application terms. My understanding is that you either already have a PI job, or you intend on pursuing a PI job after graduation. I don't think a cursory application to a PI job is going to cut it for you (partly because you send your resume in as part of the PI application if you're not already employed).

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:57 pm

It's really easy to get the PI deal if you have done anything PI or Gov related in the past. You just say you're intending to apply for PI jobs after school.

All my internships were PI internships which made it easy.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:49 pm

sd5289 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:I also confirmed with him I only need to apply for a public interest job, not be offered/accept one. I thought this was strange (wouldn't everyone do that?).
Hmmm, you may need to check the PI application terms. My understanding is that you either already have a PI job, or you intend on pursuing a PI job after graduation. I don't think a cursory application to a PI job is going to cut it for you (partly because you send your resume in as part of the PI application if you're not already employed).
I worked at a firm and got the scholarship by just sending a resume that showcased all my PI internships. This isn't really a competitve process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:39 pm

I worked for the government (unpaid) last summer and will be doing the same this summer. I do have a confirmation email from him so if I run into any problems, I can at least point to that.

Thanks for your help! I'll probably go with this. I'll let you know if there's any shady dealing later on :)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Kronk wrote:It's really easy to get the PI deal if you have done anything PI or Gov related in the past. You just say you're intending to apply for PI jobs after school.

Yup, I'm a Themis rep. You pretty much just have to show them that you've done something in PI (no your school required pro bono hours don't count) and they'll give it to you. Although at my school the lowest they will go is $1195.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 am

Pleasye wrote:
Kronk wrote:It's really easy to get the PI deal if you have done anything PI or Gov related in the past. You just say you're intending to apply for PI jobs after school.

Yup, I'm a Themis rep. You pretty much just have to show them that you've done something in PI (no your school required pro bono hours don't count) and they'll give it to you. Although at my school the lowest they will go is $1195.
He said they gave him $200 off for the Barbri deposit, but yeah, the lowest I've seen at my school is also $1195.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am

That's similar to the deal I got. Themis was solid. The lectures were a wast of time, but I assume that is the same elsewhere.

Barberi has more interactivity in their practice questions, but they didn't seem that much more useful to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I agree with regard to the lectures. The key with Themis is to take the main points from the lectures and spend most of your time on practice questions while referring to/reviewing the outlines. The lectures just reiterate the main points and do NOT cover much of what you will see in questions. The best way to ace the exam is to practice and practice until you've seen it all. If you're being bogged down by the lectures and running out time, skip them and get to the questions pronto.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:12 pm

There is also a lot of questions and they demand a lot of your time, especially if you are working part-time. I did all the practice questions for the MBE subjects, but never got to the mixed set. I think the MBE questions get repetitve. A lot of people focus on doing as many as they can like over 1,000. But at some point, it's really not about quanitity but quality. Do you understand why you keep getting questions wrong? Are there certain questions that keep coming up over and over? You should also be able to identify what they are trying to test you on. If its a contract question and they talk about a merger clause in the fact pattern, then from your experience answering previous questions, you should probably figure out that this questions concerns parol evidence and whether it can come in.

In addition to the MBE subjects, I did 2 practice simulations which were 100 questions. Then I did the AM section of their actual exam (which is another 100 questions). Themis also makes you do practice essays, I did the first two graded ones. After that, I had no other time available. So I would read the model answers over and over again. And I would type the rules into my outline because the essays sometimes teaches you more info than what is in the video lectures. I would also see how that rule was applied. I never actually spent time writing essays. They will say that is essential, but I think if you read the questions and then the model answers for all the essays and maybe take notes off that, you should be good. At least try to do all the graded essays that you can.

TwoBars

New

Post by TwoBars » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:24 pm

That is a good price. I used Themis for the Feb 2015 Florida bar exam and felt the course prepared me adequately for the exam. I passed easily with a 160 on the Florida portion and a 152 for the MBE. Passing was 136. As with any preparation, you have to put in the effort to learn the material. The Themis platform and materials did a good job organizing the information and providing a manageable approach to learning the information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”