Kaplan Live: Feedback/Reviews/Anecdotes?

Geaux12

Kaplan Live: Feedback/Reviews/Anecdotes?

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Did anybody pay for the "live" version of the Kaplan course & actually find it valuable? Everyone I speak with acts like I've made an enormous mistake/will be wasting my money. My reasoning was that knowing myself and how incredibly lazy I can be, I need the structure that comes with having to be at X location from Y to Z time every day.

Anyone have anecdotes about their experience? Am I going to regret it? Is it a bunch of bullshit? Does it keep you from working at your own pace? What are the "classes" actually like? Is it just a tape played on a projector in a classroom?

Taking the FL exam btw. TIA

underthirty

Re: Kaplan Live: Feedback/Reviews/Anecdotes?

Postby underthirty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Blueprint ftw. Not sure if they have it where you are, though. Everyone I know that has experience with Kaplan says it is crap. I've heard the same thing multiple times over for their bar prep course. Kaplan apparently gives you the opportunity to take the course a second time for free or half price or something. But getting to take a crappy course more than once is hardly a good reason to buy.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawbosscalif

Postby lawbosscalif » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Yes, I took Kaplan Live for July 2014 California.

My regional rep says that Kaplan live has a higher pass rate than on demand. Reason... its the forced structure.

From my experience all the students who went to the class religiously all passed the exam. The ones who only went here and there and did not show up... they did not do as well. FWITW.

At times I thought the class was a waste of time. But in retrospect, it was worth doing because it made me stick to a schedule. Also, it helped seeing the same people over and over every day, you sort of build up some comradery.

Just do it

Jimothy

Postby Jimothy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:24 pm

I just took Kaplan for NY Feb 2015. This was my first bar, so I'm still waiting on results. Kaplan didn't offer a live program for the February bar...not locally, anyway.

I know you were asking about live, but I'll review what I can regardless. Since the most important bit is whether I actually passed, however, I guess maybe take this with a grain of salt:

The videos, for the most part, were pretty good. Some professors were very engaging and even entertaining, (contracts, torts) while others were very bland while still getting the point across, (constitutional law) and still one other (evidence) was nearly impossible to watch, in my opinion. Lucky for me, I was on trial team and my coaches were evidence-crazed and I knew most rules pretty well regardless. I'd even recommend just reading the rules (they're very short!) and drilling 300+ evidence MBE practice questions, and I'd be willing to bet you'd feel comfortable with it. Moving on, I feel that I may have spent even more time than a live class on the videos, since I would often rewind constantly to review areas I didn't quite understand before moving forward. Some say this method is a detriment and that just flowing through the video is much better, but I really couldn't comment on that.

One thing I can't recommend enough: If the Chris Fromm videos (the guy reviewing the midterm and final Kaplan MBE tests) are optional for your live class, watch them. It's incredibly aggravating to sit through 12+ hours of video for each MBE review, yes. But if I pass, I think it will be in large part because of these videos. While taking the actual bar, I can think of 10+ questions where a Chris Fromm-ism popped into my head and I confidently, instantly was able to pick the right answer because of it. That's not to say that I was completely lost on the other 190, but I know for a fact I would have been stuck on those trickier questions for some time if I hadn't been ready.

As far as the NY-state specific material went, I honestly don't think it was great- but not terrible either. Kaplan started the NY-specific topics a little less than a month away from the big day if I recall correctly, and I didn't like this approach. The NY topics cover massive amounts of data, but some topics appear more often than others. It was hard to balance this notion of "you should know EVERYTHING, but you should really know this stuff better" only weeks away from the test. On the actual exam, there were a few sub-questions where I had never even heard of the situation and had to make up a rule, and one other sub-question where I'm fairly sure I wrote down the wrong law. It's quite possible this could be chalked up to a lack of preparedness on my part, but I spent about 2 months doing full-time study, so I don't know how much more I could have done.

In any case, I think it's a good program overall and if the live sessions help light a fire under you, more power to you.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”