July 2015 California Bar Exam

brotherdarkness

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm

If anyone else is taking this quiz in Oakland, I did a dry run the other day. Seems like there's a lot of construction down there; in combination with all of the one-way streets, it can make things a bit difficult. Also, the only parking I could find was a tiny little entrance behind the convention center near the loading docks. I'm planning to give myself a bit of extra time -- especially on the first day -- to deal with these things and make it inside in time to be seated at 8:15 or whatever the rule is for laptop users.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Anyone taking the exam in Century City Plaza? I wanna know how bad the traffic is in the morning coming from the Pico Robertson area. Thanks.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:01 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Anyone taking the exam in Century City Plaza? I wanna know how bad the traffic is in the morning coming from the Pico Robertson area. Thanks.

Sacramento Convention center here. Gonna have to wait for that beer ;)

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Anyone taking the exam in Century City Plaza? I wanna know how bad the traffic is in the morning coming from the Pico Robertson area. Thanks.

I am, but I'm staying at the hotel. No idea about the traffic, sorry

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:09 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:

You should go grab a beer with Karl and Cousins, and then write a crim/contracts/torts crossover about it.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

You should go grab a beer with Karl and Cousins, and then write a crim/contracts/torts crossover about it.

Will they mind if I'm a bulls fan?

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:what's primary rights??

I haven't studied CA Civ Pro besides watching a lecture....hope it doesn't come up.

Under the Federal Rules you get claim preclusion for all claims arising out of the same transaction or occurrence. CA recognizes the primary rights doctrine which says you can sue again if different primary rights are implicated. The main distinction is property vs. personal injury. So if you are injured in a car crash and you sue first for the damage to your car you can sue again for the injuries and not be precluded. Whereas under the Federal Rules you would be.

Even if they don't specifically test CA Civ Pro you can probably get a couple free points if they ask a Fed Civ Pro question about preclusion on an essay and you toss that in there.

I'm with you on everything else. I feel like if a CA Civ Pro question shows up half of the room is just gonna get up and walk out.

Thanks man, i will not be forgetting this.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

Almost positive this is a dumb question, but I'm losing my mind here:
Compulsory counterclaims arise from the same transaction or occurrence as plaintiff's claim and must be filed, lest they be waived. Permissive counterclaims don't. In a federal case, if they don't arise from the same T/O, is it impossible for them to be supported by supplemental jurisdiction? Does this mean that they have to be supported by diversity or federal question jurisdiction?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:25 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Almost positive this is a dumb question, but I'm losing my mind here:
Compulsory counterclaims arise from the same transaction or occurrence as plaintiff's claim and must be filed, lest they be waived. Permissive counterclaims don't. In a federal case, if they don't arise from the same T/O, is it impossible for them to be supported by supplemental jurisdiction? Does this mean that they have to be supported by diversity or federal question jurisdiction?

Correct

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Almost positive this is a dumb question, but I'm losing my mind here:

Correct

It depends

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:55 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:If anyone else is taking this quiz in Oakland, I did a dry run the other day.

Did you just call this a quiz?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:10 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:If anyone else is taking this quiz in Oakland, I did a dry run the other day.

Yeah breh, I did. You seem scared. You should listen to this and get your head in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5_8af3TiY

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 pm

redblueyellow wrote:

It's more like a questionnaire. They ask the same shit every year and give us the answers. Just go in and fill it out and leave.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

It's more like a questionnaire. They ask the same shit every year and give us the answers. Just go in and fill it out and leave.

You're gonna make it.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

You're gonna make it.

The outward impression of confidence is a mere façade my friend.

spek

Postby spek » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:If anyone else is taking this quiz in Oakland, I did a dry run the other day. Seems like there's a lot of construction down there; in combination with all of the one-way streets, it can make things a bit difficult. Also, the only parking I could find was a tiny little entrance behind the convention center near the loading docks. I'm planning to give myself a bit of extra time -- especially on the first day -- to deal with these things and make it inside in time to be seated at 8:15 or whatever the rule is for laptop users.

Thanks for this update -- I'll be in Oakland. Good to know re the construction.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Fake it till you make it. No point panicking and melting down right now.

"I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty, and I can't possibly be beaten."

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:49 pm

spek wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:If anyone else is taking this quiz in Oakland, I did a dry run the other day. Seems like there's a lot of construction down there; in combination with all of the one-way streets, it can make things a bit difficult. Also, the only parking I could find was a tiny little entrance behind the convention center near the loading docks. I'm planning to give myself a bit of extra time -- especially on the first day -- to deal with these things and make it inside in time to be seated at 8:15 or whatever the rule is for laptop users.

"re the construction"

You sound like you've been studying for this bar inspection.

spek

Postby spek » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:53 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:

"re the construction"

Yup, I've been getting my head in the right space for this quiz.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:18 pm

spek wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:

"re the construction"

As a Rockets fan, for some reason, it's a tradition on our forum to always misspell our GM, Morey's, name improperly.(Mauray, Murrey, Moreeau, etc.)

Perhaps we can start a new tradition here to not refer the bar exam as an exam or test.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:52 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:

"re the construction"

As a Rockets fan, for some reason, it's a tradition on our forum to always misspell our GM, Morey's, name improperly.(Mauray, Murrey, Moreeau, etc.)

Perhaps we can start a new tradition here to not refer the bar exam as an exam or test.

I consider a 3-day vacation :)

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:58 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:

"re the construction"

I heard Bar Tinder is pretty fun

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:02 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

except they dont give u the answers and test the same stuff every year for the performance test, the MBE (the ones they post online are outdated that they expressly say they will never test again,), and the essays (they post answers with incorrect rule statements on the cbx website that also identify incorrect issues and apply the law incorrectly). other than that, yeah they just give u the answers.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:36 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
spek wrote:

"re the construction"

I heard Bar Tinder is pretty fun

Is this a real thing??? haha New Low, world. New low.

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:39 am

Leave an hour and a half early. You don't want to risk it. I am taking in culver city so I'm forced to get a hotel. I can't deal with the 405 everyday for 5 long days.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”